Ended
Watch
61 - 70
DISPLAYED
Environmental Hazards (Private)

Page 7 of 8 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last
    I
    Irina

"No, no. Like rambling around in the country, you understand?" the old man answered, and did not seem overly concerned as to whether or not Jaeger did actually understand him.

He was on a roll, and made no indication of stopping.

"He was wearing a raincoat. That sort of struck me as odd, you know? Hasn't rained in a while. What I did noticed was his shoes. Mismatched like. Black cowboy boot sort of thing, and one of them stylish brown businessmen sort of boots. Apart from that? Eh, jeans I think."

Lynx writes quickly, trying to keep up with the real rambling man before him. From the sound of it it was a hobo who had just donned whatever clothing they could to stay decent. A person like that though would stand out like a sore thumb, just as Samuel had said. "So I take it you didn't get a look at his face cause he was ignoring you? That's just as well. Don't know what sort of person he might've been. This is a nice neighborhood around here but you should still be cautious walking around at night." Giving advice to this elderly man was probably as successful as suggesting a wall to take its business elsewhere, but he was obligated to as an official. "This actually does help though. Could I get your name, sir? For the report."

I
    Irina

"Nah, he was wearing his hood low, see?" the old man raised his hand and gestured to his head, as if there might be any doubt as to where a hood would go.

The compliment to his neighbourhood though, made him puff his chest out with pride. "Yeah, we do what we can around here. The names Arnold Mills. Friends call me Arnie."

Lynx writes down Arnold's name and his address on the notepad. "Thank you Mr. Mills, you've been a great help. If you remember anything else that might help please leave a message for me at the DHS offices." He writes that down too along with his name on a separate sheet that he rips off for Arnold. Hopefully Arnold doesn't confuse that with the number he gave him earlier or else some poor receptionist was going to have to listen to complaints about rose bushes.

"And thank you for your time," he adds before stepping away, motioning for Samuel to follow, not that the photographer appeared to have much interest hanging around the residence.

I
    Irina

"Well..." Samuel began to say, once he was quite sure that the old man was out of earshot. "He was talkative."

He could well imagine that if the aging nosy neighbour really for going, he would be a force to be reckoned with. As it was, it sounded as if he just relished the attention that Jaeger was able to provide. Whether or not the information he had would actually help remained to be seen.

Samuel studied the path ahead of them, and the blackening water beyond the fence. This was... not good at all.

"What do you think?"

"Hmm?" says Lynx at Samuel's question once they had gotten far enough away from the Mills residence. "I think it's time we looked for that vagrant, the rambling man in mismatched shoes. It's the only lead I have at the moment." They had already wasted some time dealing with old Arnie and Lynx really needed to get those samples back to the lab for analysis. "By their description I'd say this guy stands out in a crowd. Maybe police officers have seen him before. I could check at the Folsom City police station, but that'd be a drive. Maybe I should just take the samples and stop there on the way." he mused aloud. As Jaeger finishes his cigarette he puts it out in his portable ashtray. "But for now I'll ask the guards at the cordon, see if he's spotted anyone like that since they've been there. Might be a chance the guy walked by during one of their shifts."

I
    Irina

"I've b-been here for the last few days, but I h-haven't seen anyone by t-that description," Samuel admitted. "But I c-can head out a little further afield, see what I can s-spot," he offered. His expression was pensive, as he mulled over what the old man had said.

Of course the logical question would be, why would a vagrant dump chemicals in the water?

But that was not the question burning in Samuel Adams' mind.

"Yeah? That would help if you could. If you find someone fitting that description just give me a call on my cell." Lynx writes it out on his notepad before ripping it off and handing it to Samuel. "Don't bother talking to him if you do spot him, just let me know where he is and I'll come there. I don't think this guy is the one responsible, but if he's shuffling around at night then he might end up being a better witness than Old Man Mills. Either way he's technically a suspect. I'm still going to ask the guards just in case and take the samples back to HQ. But what I might do is stake out this area tonight and see if I can't spot him myself."

Otherwise all they could do was wait for the results and try to use that as a clue where to proceed next, both on cleanup and apprehending those responsible.

I
    Irina

Samuel took the offered scrap of paper, quickly peered at the number before folding it over and slipping it into his wallet for safe keeping.

"Alright," the man agreed, with a solemn nod of the head. "He sounds like a d-drifter just passing through," he mused aloud, and as he spoke scanned the bay again. All looked quiet on the front; but for the infected water.

"A-and that seems an odd motive f-for poisoning a lake."

"That may be so, Mr. Adams, but I gotta follow it up to be sure." He walked off, waving a hand over his shoulder, "hear from you soon."

The motive was probably real simple, discarding waste to save money from properly disposal. But even if he found this guy he wasn't going to win witness of the year award. A homeless vagrant wasn't going to be taken seriously in court. Still, if he did see something then it'd point him in the right direction to get some real evidence.

Jaeger did as he said he would, heading back to the cordon, the samples he had taken, and then questioning the guards and even Newman, if he was still around, about the homeless guy. If they hadn't seen him he'd just head to his car to ship the samples back to DHS labs with the intention of returning thereafter.

Page 7 of 8 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.