Ended
Watch
71 - 78
DISPLAYED
Grabbing Some Grub (Private)

Page 8 of 8 First ... 4 5 6 7 8
    K
    Kazakin

"Don't talk about it outside of the three of us, or where anyone can overhear. If it's just the three of us, they'll probably leave us alone. They don't have any vested interest in killing us off, and they wouldn't have let us go if they didn't think we'd be more trouble dead. It's our job to stay that way," Derevko said quietly. His gaze slid across to Jaeger as he came to precisely the wrong conclusion.

Yeah, Jaeger, they'll ignore the college kid who might go viral in exchange for a couple of people who are trained to be fucking silent and obey orders given by men in suits.

"He's wrong, actually, but it doesn't matter. You can't play the odds like that. It's stupid. They've got the resources to watch all three of us if they want."

The scarred Agent glanced at the clock as the door buzzer went.

"Thirty minutes or less my ass..."

He headed off to the crappy intercom system next to the door.

April nodded at Derevko's words. "I won't be telling anyone about this," she said to the two agents. "If they can watch us that easily, there is no good reason to risk it." But did she really believe that? Part of her would still want answers, and she wasn't sure if she could ever just drop the subject altogether.

However, she'd lay low for now. After all, the agents probably knew what they were talking about. What did she know? She was just a girl getting her masters degree at the local college. Government conspiracies were a bit out of her pay grade anyways. Maybe some day in the future, she could revisit the matter.

"Better late than never!" called out April as the door bell rang, offering them both a smile.

K
    Kazakin

The sound of someone banging on the door echoed through the small apartment, and the hinges squealed in protest as Derevko ripped the door open.

"How much do I owe ya?"

"Twenty bucks, bro."

"I'm not your fuckin' bro. Take the money and fuck off."

"Are you shitting me? You call that a tip?"

A pause of about twenty seconds.

"Here's a tip. Don't turn up late and expect money. Wanna argue that point?"

"...Um... no. Sir."

"Good boy."

The door closed. Derevko walked back in and put the box on the counter, his expression tight.

"Late and I gave him fuckin' two bucks. Remind me not to be nice."

It was hard not to overhear the conversation with the relatively small apartment. Jaeger knew how the kid felt, Derevko had that affect on people. The kid probably didn't even know the bullet he'd dodged. After a day like today he imagined none of them were at their best.

"Generous of you. Don't know what kind of tips he's used to to argue the point," agreed Lynx. "Thanks again, Derevko, for ordering out for us and inviting us over." He was feeling rather grateful now that the smell of food wafted in the air, albeit tinged in greasy cheeses.

April couldn't help but feel bad for the pizza boy, who was obviously just trying to be friendly. Unfortunately for him, Derevko was not the type of person that responded well to being called "bro" or anything of the sort. As he returned to join her and Lynx, she gave the scarred agent a smile, trying to keep things calm.

"Maybe there was bad traffic out there," she said, and quickly realized that she was not helping the case. "But nevermind that! Let's eat, cause I'm starving!" April flashed both agents a quick grin as she said those words. "And thank you for being such a gracious host," she added with another smile to Derevko.

That's probably the first time anyone says something like that to him...

K
    Kazakin

Derevko blinked at April.

'Thanks for being such a gracious host?' Uh...

Wait, what are you supposed to even respond to that?

Well, fuck.

"...You're... welcome?"
    the scarred Agent said, sounding vaguely mystified as he opened the pizza box.

​Poor girl's hallucinating from shock. Only explanation...

A smirk formed on Jaeger's lips hearing April's eagerness and the now calm civility between the three of them. It was matched by his own hunger as he awaited his chance to reach for a slice of the offered meal. "Cheers," he said with gratitude.

April gave both agents a sweet smile, glad that they were all safe and sound...at least for now. She laughed a little at Lynx's "cheers" and then reached for a slice of pizza herself. "Bon appetit!" she said, giving him a quick playful wink. Any concerns over government conspiracies faded away at that moment, as she tried to enjoy herself in the company of the two agents, and the pizza!

Finally! I'm SOOO hungry!

End Scene

Page 8 of 8 First ... 4 5 6 7 8