Retired Archaeologist not finished yet
-Benjamin Carroll, syndicated columnist

Sacramento is home to a great number of prestigious and professional intellectuals. Among them is renowned Archaeologist Hilliard Valdemar, PhD, best known for his exploratory studies in rural regions of Eastern Europe. To be fair, Dr. Valdemar, a German immigrant, has seen much of the known world. His contributions to natural history museums all across the country are substantial, and have been credited with an increasing interest in ancient history over the last two decades. Dr. Valdemar announced his retirement two years ago, at the age of 53, much to the woe of his peers. If anyone deserves a break, however, one could hardly argue that it is he.

And yet, for a mind such as his, he admits, "Stagnation makes me feel weak. It is for this reason I chose to pursue a career in Archaeology in the first place. To educate others in the strength of man, and how to better ourselves."

He pointedly avoids the old cliche of repeating the past.

"This is why I will not stop," he has said. "Only now I have the luxury of avoiding classrooms." It is the kind of dry humor he is well known for. His passion for teaching led to ten straight years of overfull classes and seminars at the California State University here in Sacramento.

Recently, Dr. Valdemar has begun pulling his private contributions from nearby museums to further his studies. When, of course, they aren't being used for a public exhibit. Last summer, he illuminated a manuscript written sometime in the early to mid thirteenth century by Bulgarian Emperor Ivan Asen II. The manuscript, along with its translated summaries, are currently on display at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles.

When asked about his current project, Dr. Valdemar is tight-lipped. "It's a pretty big deal," he says simply. Pressed for details, he allows us a tantalizing preview. "Let us call it the Rowan Ring."

Rowans, Mountain-Ashes, or Quicken Trees are small to midsize trees or shrubs with a long history in European mythology. Rowan wood, because of its density, is adequate for highly detailed carving. It is famous for its use as walking sticks, pendants, even magician wands and staves. It is rumored to provide magical protection against evil beings and spirits.

"I have recently come into some exciting new information that may shed some light on the history and function of this particular ring." Still a very powerful looking man with an intense presence, it is impossible for Dr. Valdemar to hide his fervor as I interview him. Like a great cat sitting on an even bigger secret. Especially when he smiles broadly and winks. "But you will have to wait for my thesis to judge for yourself."

Dr. Valdemar currently resides at his Ranch in River Oak Estates, where he survives his wife of 15 years, Elyssa (Mentioned by request, en memoria).