Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Fanfiction

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

I read fanfic. You read fanfic. (Or you will when this thread is done with you), but 90% of everything is crap; so, you have someone else find the top 10% of fanfics.

Rules: It has to be good. It has to have a reccomendation. One dead fic per post.

Completed stories:
    For the uninitiated, these are stories that are complete. They may have sequels, they may be stand alone short stories.

Pokemon

I Don't Care What You Think Unless it is About Me Don't let the title fool you, there is a reason I put this heartstring yanking pokemon fic at the top. The brief, one-chapter story of a Bisharp and his trainer. It takes 5 minutes to read, go do it. I still can't read it without tearing up.
    EDIT: Taken down becuase the author wrote smut. If you find it, let me know.

Rurouni Kenshin:

Hajme and Tokio If you loved Saito from Rurouni Kenshin, you will absolutely love this fic, the story of him and his wife. I really recommend it because I loved Saito, and his character here is great.

Blades of Blood Rurouni Kenshin x NightLife (A WW competitor) Great retelling of the encounter between Kenshin and Jin-Ei arc, set in a New York By Night. Lots of fun, and a great way to see corruption and spiritual Claiming. A must for those looking for inspiration for white-wolf.

Naruto

Time Braid Sakura doesn't get enough love in the Naruto universe, nor in most of the fanfiction community. This fic questions: when you stick sakura in a time loop, how far do you have to push before she becomes as awesome as she could be. Rated M for scenes of sex, unusual sexual pairings, and mind-rape.

Harry Potter

By the Divining Light Hey you, mage player. You like magic that feels epic and powerful and awesome? Read this. Has almost nothing to do with the regular harry potter magic system, and instead focuses on a style of Olde Magic that feels really really old and powerful.

The Greatest Minister of Magic Corenlius fudge is an ass and self-serving, but sometimes, self-serving can save the world. A single-chapter story that is a great read into 'the other side of the story'.

Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time One of the best fics, because it shows a renewel of hope where hope seems lost, and is full of amazing one-liners and epic magic.

The Strange Disappearance of SallyAnne Perks Sally Anne Perks was sorted just before Harry, but soon after, we never hear of her again. This fic asked what happened to her, and goes on a great mystery tour of hogwarts to find her. Light and surprisingly deep.

Saving Connor If you want to read the best of slash in the harry potter fanfiction community, this is the fic that spawned thousands of bad copy attempts. The harry here is sympathetic, proud, and strong. Warning 1: Slash (in the sequels). Warning 2: sympathetic Malfoys. Warning 3: Manipulative!Dumbledore Warning 4: 3. Million. Words. Long. (With the sequels) But still a good fic.

Halo

The Enemy of My Enemy *No master chief, no prophets, no flood, why read? *Because this story depicts war in a way that is both noble and horrific, bloody and heroic. *We see the slow process of turning enemies into friends, and beating back the horde. *Easily one of the best war fics I have read.

Final Fantasy VII

The Fifth Act Cloud has an accident with a time Materia, and is sent back in time to the war against Wutai. He sets his goal of killing Sephiroth and Hojo to prevent the mess that happened. One of the few great time-travels of Final Fantasy VII that doesn't contain sex, instead having awesome sword-swinging.

In Progress Fics
    These are stories that are still going on, still in progress. They may finish, they may stall out, but they are good enough to read as is.

Embers This is my favorite fic. seriously, bar none, #1. It takes the cheesy Epcot style mix of cultures that Avatar gives us, and takes it to its cultural supremacist conclusion. And it treats spirits the way they should be treated- with terrifying awe and resolute determination. Great read for werewolf and spirit mages.

Rosario+Vampire

He Who Fights Monsters Want to see what the loss of humanity looks like, read this? Rosario+Vampire is a story of a normal human who ends up a monster high school, and is a blatant wish fulfillment harem fantasy, as he gets several of the beatiful women-monsters to protect him and help him fake being a monster. This story is the story of a normal human who ends up at a monster high school, and does not receive help, or aid. When pushed to the brink, humanity will not just look into the abyss, but dive right in.

Power Rangers

DinoThunder: The legacy of Tommy Oliver If you liked power rangers, and Tommy especially, you'll like this. It adds continuity from the old series to the newer one, where Tommy shows up again.

Pokemon

The Sun Soul Takes Pokemon and turns it dark and terryfing, where pikachu is a rat that can kill you dead before you even know what hit you, where a rattata can knock down and a child and kill him. Now, go read what a "trainer's quest" really is.

Harry Potter

Prince of the Dark Kingdom What a boy does to fight against an implacable foe is impressive. What he does to please his father can shatter mountains. I love reading this because Harry is awesome, Voldemort is Awesome, Snape is awesome, and there are about 30 xanatos gambits all running around, and occasionally one of them fails to turn in time.

Bleach

Lord of Winter - A character piece on Hitsugaya Toushiro, one that paints him as the solitary but not lonely genius who struggles. This is good because it is subtle. Things are immediately explained, you have to read and think and ponder before it all makes sense.

Inuyasha

Beside your in Time A pairing fic that demonstrates that real relationships don't grow on trees overnight, that you have to fight and work to gain someone's respect and trust. Also, that homicidal monkey demons can make your eternity a living hell.

Dead Fic

When someone writes just because they love a story, they sometimes get distracted, by classes, by a job, a spouse. And sometimes great fics become dead. Don't read expecting a conclusion, its just a fun ride. Dead fics are any fics that haven't been updated in 12 months, or 18 if the author has a habit of updating yearly.

Naruto

People Lie - Dark and disturbing is what happens when you take naruto and make the ninjas ruthless and cutthroat. Brain exploding awesome darkness is what happens when you add Shoggoths and elder gods to a fic already dark and ruthless and hysterically funny. Sasuke, hinata, and Naruto are the focus. And they are all sorts of messed up crazy. Rated M for lots and lots of terrifying images. If you want more humor and less scary, the author has an AU of his story called Ask me no Questions. It's set about 3/4s of the way through People Lie.
    The Dog Draped in Resplendent Finery of Shrieking Spirits.

Completed Stories:

Uninvited Guests It's a story that was created for fun and thus, it has a lot of laughs. It's a Bleach fic and a certain ice welding captian slowly goes off the deep end due to another division bunking up with his division, particularly a certain pink haired Shinigami candy addict.

Wll of Foxfire Naruto universe where demons are common and ninja are hired to exterminate them, the events of the Chunnin exam redone very differently then cannon. Also, check out the author's Naruto/Pokemon story, starting with Shiny Demon, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The Black Paw Ranma/Gold Digger with a side order of Kim Possible crossover story where Ranma is sent to the realm of Jade and becomes a werefeline in the process. It features intellgent Ranma.

In Progress

Prince of Shadows It's a story about concerning a character's rebirth as another character and coming to grips with that. It's set in Sonic Underground.

Towers and Titans If you like DnD stories that feature magical board game sucking people into it, here's a story for you! Ranma is a Red Wizard, Akane a Barbain, Nabiki a Rogue and Kasumi a... Dark Priestess?

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Ack, Time Braid is seriously good, like... Hopefully I can finish it tonight and be able to post coherently Tomorrow. I was going to toss out a few fics for recommendation, but I can't stop reading long enough to hunt down the links.

I'll try to get to that when I finish.

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

I just reread Time Braid Cl4re, only because you mentioned it again. Good times indeed.

How I think the epilogue goes. SPOILERS

Will of Foxfire is good, really good.

Here's an Incomplete Story:

The Night The House of Cards Was Built It's rather cute as it features a young Naruto managing to get into a game of Poker played by some of the powerhouses of the village. Sadly, I think it's abandoned by what's there is still very good and you should check out a few other of the author's Naruto stories as they are rather up beat. A Cat is Fine Too is another story I would suggest reading as it show out of the box thinking in the Bleach universe.

Ciara Maskelyne

Of Mice and Mayhem

This is the only fan fic I'll admit to reading. More a fan work than a fan fic, its a comic that continues on the Rescue Rangers story beyond the end of the cartoon. It deals with more adult themes while still retaining the humor and characters from the show.

http://rrdatabase.dyndns.org/written...m.php?page=001

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Since Shoulda's recommendation got me on a Naruto kick, I'm going to have to link Team 8 Because it's concentrated awesome that - well, you know how a lot of fics that change one little thing give Naruto power-up after power up in almost too short a time? This doesn't. It's a slow build that's firmly established with all kinds of clearly laid-out reasons for Naruto's progress.

As for some of the newer fics I've discovered and loved: The Mouse of Konoha It's a bit harder to keep track of the timeline, but it's got great humor, and is really thoughtful, Vulpine is mostly just a humorous take on things, and by god, it's funny, People Lie is also a humor fic, but it's.... errrrrrrrrrr, very dark humor, filled with all kinds of horror that makes you feel a little sick, and then has you collapsing in laughter because of a quip from one of the characters, very dark, very funny, not for the faint of heart. Oh, and a fair warning: Hinata's fucking creepy in it. Mouse of Konoha, Vulpine, and People Lie are unfinished

Ibiki's Apprentice Sadly, it's a one-shot. It's brilliant. but sadly, a very short one-shot.

The Middle Ground It's a Tenten Shino fic. You really wouldn't think the pairing would work, but it's some how introspective, funny, and, indeed, works. Doesn't leave the other shinobi out, and yeah. Finished, has a sequel that's started with two chapters, but unfinished.

If you can't tell, this is what I've been doing for the last uhhhh week? week and a few days? instead of sleeping or posting like I should.... Sorry.

And I seriously blame Shoulda for reawakening my fanfic addiction.

Real Skill Show cases what selection of skill Naruto displayed at the very beginning of the Manga and the Anime, where he's skillfully evading pursuing Chuunin to Jonin level ninja.

Calculation This is very OOC Harry Potter but it surprisingly interesting read.

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

Cauterize Cauterize is a short continuation story, that does a very deep exploration of several characters. I can't read it without getting teary sometimes.

U
    UsurpianSociety

And From the Ashes... ...by Kouri

I read it years and years ago back when I was a baby but reading this thread it reminded me of it. It's a fun read, and if you have read or know of X/1999 or Tokyo Babylon. It takes place the day after the prophesied day so craziness happens, N-17 and more than a few sex situations. Enjoy

http://www.fatalistic.net/knkfics/tbxfics.html

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread