Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Eight years overdue

Frank Rizzo, like many retirees with nothing better to do during the day, spends a fair amount of time at the Public Library, looking through old newspapers, magazines, and catching up on the classics. Unlike many retirees, Frank doesn't usually bother the librarians with old people stories (though his are sure to be a damn sight more interesting than most), so he doesn't know anyone who'd go out on a limb for him.

He sits at a desk, pulls out his notepad, and spends several minutes memorizing Bill Wright's address and Social Security number. When he's satisfied he has it down, he slowly wanders the aisles of books, discreetly observing the librarians on duty, trying to determine if one of them seemed like they'd bend the rules for a nice old man...

Wits+Empathy

He looks around for a while. It seems like most of the aides are too wrapped up in what they're doing, and at first the only ones that don't seem busy are the batty old lady type. The ones you find in every library who are only to happy to snap directions back at you, sounding like a dying crow.

Then Frank notices a pretty woman, looking to be in her early thirties, sitting at a help desk looking around with a face that just screams: 'can I help you?'

Bingo. She's a looker, too. Rizzo goes over Wright's social and address in his head again as he approaches the lovely young (by comparison, anyway) librarian. Very small chance the library has been notified of Bill's death, even after all these years, he thinks, and decides to pose as Bill himself. They're about the same age, anyway...or, rather, they would be, if Bill was alive.

He smiles pleasantly as he calls for her attention. "Excuse me, miss," he says innocently, "I'm hoping you can help me. I read a book...well, no, I started reading a book, I never quite finished, but I can't...well, miss, frankly, I can't remember what it was called. But I must finish it." His smile takes on a sudden fragility, as though it could break if caught by a strong breeze. That's right, I'm just a sad, brave little old man.

"I know I took it out sometime ago. Would you please call up a list of the books I've taken out? I know if I see the title, I will remember." His smile lights up with hope. "My name is Bill Wright. I live on Jerry Lane."

Manipulation+Subterfuge

"Just one moment, Mr. Wright." she says brightly

She goes through the computer for a moment, before looking back up at Frank "My, my, my. No wonder you couldn't remember anything you'd taken out. It's been nearly ten years since your last entry here. There are a few books here, but most of the borrowed items were VHS cassettes. In fact it seems as if you had one that you never returned to us. Bladerunner? Anyway, the library was forced to re-stock it and levy a $35 dollar overdue charge and re-stocking fee. Will you be paying that fee today, Mr. Wright?" she looks at him expectantly. It was pretty obvious to Frank that he wasn't going to get any more answers so easily.

"Oh, yes, of course," Frank says, and silently curses the dead man's debt. He hands her two twenties and asks, "I'm still not sure...can you print that list, miss?" He looks at her hopefully.

The pretty librarian gives Frank a five-dollar bill as his change and then prints the list out for him.

Frank finds that there isn't much to be gained from the list, though. The guy had taken out a few trashy novels, and a bunch of VHS tapes, all works of fiction. The closest thing Frank came to anything interesting was a couple books by Mario Puzo, but Frank knows that reading Wiseguy doesn't necessarily make you a Wiseguy.

The librarian goes back about her business, pleased with the knowledge that she's reigned in another perpetrator-of-overdue-materials. Frank is left with lighter pockets, and no new leads.

Ah well. Nothing ventured...

Disappointed, and $35 dollars lighter, Frank exits the library. It's about 4:30 and the sun is casting long afternoon shadows on the street in front of the library.

Roll Perception

Frank thanks the young librarian and goes on his way. He sighs after studying the list. There may not be any red flags to draw Frank's attention from the titles, but what it did give Frank was a better idea of who, exactly, Bill Wright was, and that would be important when he interviewed the widow tomorrow (or whatever you call a remarried woman who had divorced her first husband prior to his death...the world had become a lot more complex during Frank's life, and it wasn't just technology that he had a hard time understanding).

Perception failure

Frank walks to his car and drives off to follow up on any more leads, or maybe just get ready for the long car-ride he'll be taking once tomorrow comes.

Whenever you're ready open up a new thread