Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Ghost Gears: Mogavero Associates

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Jennifer Hazelton

Those moving to Mogavero Associates architect firm discovered that it was an open, white adobe building on a corner square of an office park. Daysha's internet research revealed that the firm specialized in businesses; even creatively building small studio buildings that utilized space efficiently.

The firm had a full parking lot in the back of it; facing the main cross street. The front doors were framed by wide, square windows that revealed a brunette woman in an aqua dress working on a desk top p.c.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha had got the directions off of the internet, and programmed them into her phone's GPS. Such a handy thing being able to take it with you. Before they had left Tom's car lot, she snapped a picture of the architect's mark. The detective wrote down other vital information, in case it came up again. As they got a few blocks from the place, she looked at Rory for a moment then her eyes went back on the road.

Since they were in the car, Daysha couldn't help but ask. "So... what are you thinking about all of this so far?" Admittedly, this was not nearly as dangerous as the encounter with the slug, or the slutty vampire. This case was becoming intriguing, it's not like she always wanted to get her hands dirty. And it was a change from fucking vampires.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Status ••• (Academics) Theology Doctorate

Rory rode in the car in a way that could only be called "careful". His backpack sat neatly on his lap, and he rested both hands on it, not resting his forearms on armrests or touching any handles or buttons. It was a visceral reaction to someone else's possession that was valuable; inasmuch that the value was greater than the normal value that was attached to any personal possession, rather than something belonging to a facility or organization that was used -- but not owned.

It was a small thing, in some ways; in others, not small at all. Sharing meant something when and how he'd grown up.

"You know what's weird?"
    he asked, after a moment of thought about the question. Rory turned slightly to look over at Daysha Jackson .

"I know it's going to sound weird, or silly, but... it's kind of surreal that this is... daytime. I think I expected that things like this only happened at night."

He paused, then asked his own question.

"So... the reflection. That's a ghost?"

D
    Daysha Jackson

Turning to glance quickly to Rory for a moment, then her eyes back on the road. “Yeah, it’s kinda weird isn’t it?” She agreed. “You’re right, even all those shows and movies about ghosts depict it at night. I should really ask dad about that. Among other things. He’s told me things here and there after the incident with Aaron. I sometimes wish he could just load it all into my head in one shot so we’re prepared.”

“Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is a ghost.” Her brow furrowed a moment and then relaxed.

She watched Rory out of her peripheral vision. How he sat in the car, like a guest. “Ya know, did I mention that I'm not as experienced with this stuff?” Daysha commented while trying to curb her normal sailor mouth. She wasn’t sure why she did it. Normally she didn’t care who or what anyone around her cared about. Well, other than a few of the really important men in her life. Dad, brother, and son. “As in, lately, old cases are just starting to add up. The times I probably came into contact with something more bizarre than reality.” Daysha realized she may be repeating herself, but she was also trying to make sure that Rory knew they were on the same level.

“I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not going to always know the answers. But I’ll try my hardest to find out. Police training didn't train me for this.” Her hand rested on the armrest between them.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"Oh, right."

Rory understood what it was like to have people look to, and expect answers from, someone else. He hadn't realized he'd done it, but recognized it for what it was as soon as he thought about it.

"Sorry about that. I guess talking about it makes it easier to think of as, uh, 'normal'. And talking about it just makes all the questions pop up."

He sighed, and made a gesture, back towards where they had come.

"Like back there. If you hadn't seen that reflection? Or said something? I'd just think I saw... something. Something normal."
    For a moment, he wondered if he was coming off as needy, or clingy. As someone who needed to believe in something; he'd often heard people call the Church a crutch.

"I guess I'm trying to say that I'm sorry if I'm putting you on the spot with all the questions, it's just that... having you take them seriously helps me,"
    Rory made a rolling motion with his hand, "Absorb this all."

There. That sounded much better than "Know I'm not going nuts."

A connection was suddenly made, and he turned abruptly to Daysha Jackson .

"Uh, is this how you know that other officer, Derevko?"

It made sense.

Much more sense than enjoying spending time with the curmudgeon.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha was thankful he was asking questions. Her head was poised in a listening manner as she watched the road with her left hand on the wheel. “Rory, you don’t have to apologize. All these questions make us think, and who knows, maybe we may find the answer by accident.” Daysha was trying not to sound motherly; she considered Rory and equal. Still, she thought he was a little above him. Perhaps it was his prior position. “Like in those pictures, why the crucifixion pose of the victim. I wonder if there was any significance.” She suddenly put her right hand up and snapped her fingers. “Oh, and where was that guy’s head?”

Then Daysha realized something she asked before in front of the rest. “By the way," A pause took over breifly as she tried to word something in her head. "I’m sorry if I put you on the spot when I asked you that before. I thought there may be some religious tie that you may recall or something.”

The slender fingers on her palm moved in his direction then back in a quick searching motion. “I mean, I’m not assuming you know or anything, I just value your input.” Cause I’m clearly not religious, hell I couldn’t even do confession right. Daysha wondered if he ever thought back to that time. Her eyes flickered between Rory and the road.

“Yeah, I ran across Derevko in homicide here and there.” And tried to avoid him then. “He probably knows Doug better.” Shrugging a little she added. “Hopefully he didn’t tell Derevko to keep an eye on me or something.” Does a daughter ever outgrow the daddy’s little girl thing?

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"Oh, that didn't bother me... I just really couldn't think of anything," Rory answered.

"Beheading, it's funny, is kind of casually treated in older cultures. Probably the two most well known ones would be Goliath and John the Baptist," he continued, holding up fingers as if counting.

"But there were a lot of cases of 'And so they went into the city of blah blah and returned with their heads' or 'And when it was done the heads were put in baskets' sort of thing. The crucifixion pose is rarely significant in esoteric usage, just because it's pretty common. It could even have been a Vitruvian Man, for what that's worth."

As he rambled, he realized that his background might be even less than useless, if he was supposed to try to find relevance or meaning in the... supernatural.

"So, have you, hmmmm, completed an investigation like this before?"

D
    Daysha Jackson

I clearly need to read the bible he gave me again, I think I missed something.

She was slightly relieved that her slip didn’t bug him. Smirking a little while he said his whole blah blah thing humorously reminded her of someone explaining a shitty movie. “Why don’t I remember that part about John the Baptist?” Daysha said wondering out loud. She flexed her fingers on the steering wheel a moment as she realized how religiously inept she was. “I’m sorry, what’s a Vitruvian Man?” She glanced to him out of the corner of her eye.

Shaking her head while she answered Rory’s question. “Nope, haven’t done an investigation like this involving ghosts or whatever this may be.” There was a half breathy laugh emitted when she said. "So, I know about as much as you do right now." Daysha wasn’t about to make up some ‘oh yeah sure I do this all the time’ thing to him. It had nothing to do with the fact that he was an ex-priest; there was just no reason pretending to know what she didn’t. All the more reason to have a sit down with dad about this. Like soon.

“Over the years, as I look back, there’s some stuff I may have encountered and it didn’t really click at the time. I think there was some weird case where I had to write it was a wild animal… in an apartment, where the guy’s wallet and some other stuff went missing.” Even though Rory just told her it felt normal; Daysha, nearly reflexively, moved her right hand up and massaged her temple realizing what she said sounded completely crazy. She continued speaking in the same even tone. "So, other than what you told me before, was there anything else you encountered, or possibly did at some point?"

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"John the Baptist went out badly," Rory said, mouth twisting in a wry, sympathetic half-smile.

"Basically, he pointed out that King Herod was breaking the law by marrying his dead brother's wife. Herod threw him in prison, but didn't kill him because he was fairly popular and gave good advice. Well, after that, Herod's new wife's daughter dances for him so well that he offers her a gift," he elaborates, looking over and raising his eyebrows at the last bit.

"So she asks for the head of John the Baptist. Herod gives it to her on a plate."

Seriously, he never understood why people called the Bible boring. He enjoyed sharing it, opening the door for faith.

"Oh, and the Vetruvian Man is that drawing DaVinci did."

He did a motion of spreading his arms, then dipping them.

"Has a circle around the man, beige paper?"

D
    Daysha Jackson

“Ah, that’s what that thing with all the arms in an architect pattern is called. I’ve seen it several places.” Wow I feel stupid for asking.

Her face pruned up a little as she listened to Rory describe the bible, in details that she didn't remember. “Ya know, that’s um barbaric. Although, something to be said about swift justice back then.” She started speaking faster than normal which was often spoke to Doug. “Of course, who knows if some of those people were innocent till proven guilty. Now days, it can be the wrong box checked on paper work or bad timing for a warrant and the asshole get off Scott-free.”

Her hands moved along the steering wheel as they turned into the down the road to the firm. Her right hand flicked up a moment, as Daysha’s examples continued. “Pulling someone over for a routine five one zero* which turns out to be a five zero three*. He’s a desperate four one seven* turning into a two four five*, which lead to calling in a Code Eight*. Everything’s on camera, someone forgets to read Miranda to the asshole and gets off on a technicality.” Daysha shifted slightly as she spoke. She remembers getting shot that day. “Then in that triumphant moment in court when they read off 'not guilty,' they look at the victim. Their face may be stone cold, but their eyes smile in satisfaction.”

She came to a dead stop in her after the last sentence and combed her fingers through her hair. Daysha realized bitterness was seeping through. And this is why you have any real friends Daysha, cause you accidently go into cop mode in casual conversation.

“Crap, Sorry. Um.. Tangent…” Rewinding what she thought she asked before she went off track ahs asked. “Anyway... I think I had asked you about other encounters.” It was a soft question, mixed with apology.

*Codes

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last