Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
Searching for Maria Redux

Page 3 of 11 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last

Quinn carried on driving but at mention of getting into possible violent situations, she sighed out loud.

"I should really be honest with both of you. I don't like violence and if anything does happen that will result in violence, I will only get in the way."

I
    IberianCastaway

Jacque leaned back in his seat, gazing out at the scenery speeding by them.

Damn, how much longer will it take to get there?

He turned his attention back to his companions, his face betraying his confusion. "Eh, forgive my English if I've misunderstood but what do mean, 'not like violence'? I-I mean you do know why were doing this right- what the people back at the Spiral are doing? If creatures are responsible for this missing girl we are going to torture them then killing them. End of discussion."

He loosened up his expression, trying his hardest not be be too off putting. "If you guys don't wanna be the one's to put a bullet in its brain that's fine with me, but I just don't want you to lose any sleep over this, okay?"

Jennifer Hazelton

Nicole turned in her seat and eyed Quinn with curiosity. She listens to the man's response, pleased that he had asked what they should so a
    minute ago and now seemed so certain of what to do now. She pointed this out with a friendly expression.

"You didn't seem entirely sure what we ought to do a moment ago." She pointed out. "You
    certainly seem to have decided, now."

Sarah frowned at Jacques' words, the way he mentioned torture with such disregard.

"Don't take this the wrong way but there is more to this than simply hurting another. For all we know, this could be some elaborate ruse by Maria to escape her parents, or a way of blackmailing them. Certainly, it could be something else entirely but until we understand what it is, throwing around words like 'torture' do not sit well with me."

Sarah slows the car as she pulls up gently at the side of the road. Leaving the engine ticking over, she looks directly at the Frenchman.

"If that is going to be a problem, then I suggest you work with somebody else because quite frankly you and I will not get along"

I
    IberianCastaway

He had to stop himself, he'd forgotten the role he wished to play- the one of the quirky tourist. Already Jacque's mask of normality was deteriorating and with it control over his violent urges.

"I've... actually I've thought about it quite a bit, I confess that much. I just didn't know if you guys had other plans- better plans that is." He pointed at Port, "Maybe you'd of wanted to give it an interview, or film it and post its execution on the internet. I dunno all I want to do is make sure that if, again I have to stress this, if, it is a creature it's gonna die. That's all I care about.... for this girl's sake I mean."

He mulled over his words. "We won't have a problem. I can handle this. You're the manager of this Jihad Miss Quinn. You tell me how to do this and I'll follow through, that I promise."

Jennifer Hazelton

"Sorry to point it out, Jacques, but I think you gotten the words mixed up. Jihad is holy war and I think the idea of war is
    backed with violence so its incompatible with what Quinn just said."

Nicole said conversationally and calmly.
    "And I appreciate you remember by affiliation with the computer fans; but I don't really do the blogging videos of things
    dying. I do like to use the contacts to exchange information. How about we interview her parents, gather the information that we need and meet some where like the bar to discuss what we found? It might not even be an issue."

I
    IberianCastaway

Jacque clucked his tongue at Nicole, obviously feeling flustered at her comment. He takes a deep breath before speaking the clearest English he had all night. This time not stumbling over words or mispronouncing others, almost if he had been practicing this speech for a long time:"The word Jihad is Arabic Miss Port, yes there is an English translation that means it 'Holy War', but I find that crude to the point of deception. Jihad is to struggle, and not to establish some sort of war or religious hegemony. Jihad is to struggle whether you like it or not. To continue not because you feel forced but because you feel compelled to do it, not unlike what we are doing, no?"

He took a deep breath but continued before anyone could get a word in edgewise. "It is subdivided into several categories: The Greater Jihad is the Jihad within oneself, where you resist evil doing and you resist breaking Islamic commandments. Then there is the Jihad of advice and verbal propagation to your brothers and sisters, the Jihad of the tongue and the pen- I am reminded of your line of profession, Miss Port, when I say that. Then there is the Jihad of assistance, such as building a mosque or community center, helping others in need, doing a chore for someone, or helping some worried parents find their daughter. Finally comes Jihad of the sword, this is the Lesser Jihad. And there is a Hadith that certifies this... I admit. But everyday life is the Greater Jihad, as life is a struggle we all must bear. Military Jihad or in your English the 'Holy War' was not what I meant, and for that I apologize for misleading you two. To further Islam by Jihad is to both further morality and human rights for all human beings."

Jennifer Hazelton

Nicole listens as Jacques clarifies; her misgivings about his word choice fading as he did so.

"I didn't know that translation." She admitted. "My understanding of Arabic culture is limited.
    I'd like to discuss this more later; if that's O.K. with you, Jacques. I never did do more than two semesters of cross cultural communication.
    Wish I'd stuck with it, now."

She continued to speak to Jacques.
    "But are you O.K. with the idea that we hash every thing out after this interview? I don't think Quinn likes the idea of torturing any thing; and as I've never done so myself; you'd be in poor company with just me."
    She tries to keep the tone jovial and light; but is serious in trying to find a compromise. Quinn and Jacques seemed to be good people; and she
    wondered if this could deadlock the investigation.

The way Jacque spoke made Quinn wonder what type of life he had led up to this point and with a sigh, she pulled the car away without a word, driving towards the hotel to meet the parents.

I
    IberianCastaway

Jacque reverted back to his relaxed position and breathed a mental sigh of relief. Averting questioning from himself to his religion was always his specialty, whether he was in Clichy-sous-Bois or Sacramento. After a few minutes he spoke again, "Okay, so we know the plan. You guys run 'investigation team' deal and I look over the whole conversation. Sounds easy and painless-let's do this."

OOC

Page 3 of 11 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last