Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Creative Thaumaturgy

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 9 of 11 First ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Last

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

Would it be possible to cast a Space Ward, but with a conjuctional Mind effect, so that, when someone tries to scry a location, if they dont have the Potency to penetrate the Ward, instead of being blocked by the Ward, they see an image of the caster's choosing, showing an empty room, instead of being full of people.

Possible?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

My gut feeling is no.

The Imago is a bridge between points in Space, and a Ward/Ban prevents that bridge from being able to form.

Thus, the spell fails in its entirety.

It would probably be more feasible to mask a location rather than to add it to a Ward.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Puck Scenes

The only way to add spells to a Ward is the Walls in the Labyrinth spell, and you need the ability to cast whatever spell you want to add in addition to the requirements to cast Walls in the Labyrinth. It's kind of a steep cost, but it is possible as long as WitL is approved for play.
    Just your friendly neighborhood gulmoth!

M
    Matrixchild

It'd probably just be smarter to mask the area, then cast the ward so they have to go through 2 layers of protection.

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

Yeah that makes sense West.

So, how would you mask an area with a Mind effect to make someone scrying see something other than what is actually there? I don't recall a specific spell that does that

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Yeah that makes sense West.

So, how would you mask an area with a Mind effect to make someone scrying see something other than what is actually there? I don't recall a specific spell that does that
    Well, I never said Mind, you did

What you want to do probably isn't doable without, say, adding a Breach or Cayce's Goldfish to a Walls spell and editing what they've seen. Mind is generally intrusive, Contested, and cast directly on a Pattern. A Ward is generally defensive and cast on an Area.

Altering a subject's perception without casting on their pattern/Resistance is just contrary to how the targeting and resistance systems work.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

I did see a Mind 2 spell "Phantom Thoughts". But it affects self so I'm not sure if that would work. Might work with a Wall spell.

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

West im looking at casting an improvised spell silimar to Crafter's Eye and Eye for Destruction, in an attempt to determine where best to weaken the hull in each compartment, and to determine how far to go before weakening too far that we collapse it now and drown.

I know that you mentioned the rivets, but I figured target factors for Alter Integrity might get a bit painful or rack up too much paradox before we do them all. This spell is to help narrow down which rivets we need to weaken, and the minimum needed to do the deed.

Exploit Weakness
    Matter 2 / Death 1
    The mage can study an object and discern its hidden flaws, with an eye towards breaking it.
    Practice: Knowing
    Action: Instant
    Duration: Concentration
    Aspect: Covert
    Cost: None
    Through the use of this spell, the caster gains the understanding of how a natural flaw can be exploited, and how far that falw can be abused for it to break.

I understand that Find the Cornerstone already covers this, but that spell seems for for large buildings, and we are looking for towards a single bulkhead (per compartment).

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I understand that Find the Cornerstone already covers this, but that spell seems for for large buildings, and we are looking for towards a single bulkhead (per compartment).
    Yes, and no, that's why the spell uses Size factors.

If you wanted to make a duplicate spell, why would it oh-so-conveniently change from Arcana Wayland doesn't have to Arcana that Wayland does have? CT isn't for writing spells to bypass limitations.

:P

To expand:

Matter generally treats objects and machines as single items rather than their components. Degrading a structure might translate into weakened joints or rivets or nails, etc, but it's still considered a 'whole'. Unless, of course, you wanted to be incredible precise with some destruction and purposefully targeted components rather than the whole.

The point about the rivets was more to highlight that there were engineering/structural defects that played a huge part in the Titanic incident and not just 'hit iceberg'.

10. Likes Cerberus liked this post

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

Ok, sounds good. I wasn't trying to circumvent arcana requirements, and Strix has the required dots for the Cornerstone spell anyway i believe, but was trying to find a way to apply it on a smaller scale. But your reasoning makes sense in the way Matter would degrade instead of through individual parts, so i'll run with that. Cheers

Page 9 of 11 First ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Last
+ Reply to Thread