Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Creative Thaumaturgy

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 8 of 11 First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Red Shift (Forces •••••)

The mage can completely control the velocity of light.

Practice: Making
    Action: Instant
    Duration: Transitory
    Aspect: Vulgar
    Cost: None

Although the casting is an instant action, the mage can use this spell at any point in the Initiative roster, even before he could normally act, although doing so is his action for the turn.

This spell spell combines the principles of Light Mastery and Velocity Mastery. By increasing or decreasing the speed of light within a given area, the mage can make it seem as if things are happening before or after they've actually happened. Just as the stars in the sky are long past, what is seen is carried on the waves of light. Increasing the speed of light makes things appear to happen before they do, and decreasing it makes things appear to happen later. This spell does not alter Time (Time Arcana) or perception (Mind Arcana), but the actual waves of light upon which events are seen. As this spell works at the physical layer of light itself, it is also effective on electronics which use light, such as camera recording devices and electronic beam based eyes.

Each success rolled allows the Mage to alter the viewing speed of a single turn by a quarter:
    - With one success, viewing speed is 75% or 125% off of normal (12/16ths or 20/16ths per second before or after)
    - With two successes, viewing speed is 50% or 150% off of normal (8/16ths or 24/16ths per second before or after)
    - and so on.

Note that unless Sound is increased as well, events will become 'out of sync' with their audio track.

Guardians of the Veil Rote: Now You See Me
    Dice Pool: Dexterity + Subterfuge + Forces

A Guardian of the Veil sometimes needs to hide what's really happening. Although this doesn't alter Time itself, it can certainly make it seem that way.

Note:

If this spell is approved, I would really, really appreciate it if anyone who is interested/capable of using it allows it to enter game via my character. Most likely through conversation/conceptualizing, as Star can't cast it himself, but it's very appropriate for his character/playstyle and it would be really awesome if that 'intellectual property' was attached to him
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

2. Likes Kelreth liked this post

Detect Anchor (Death • + Matter •)

The mage can perceive the resonance in objects that identify them as anchors for Ghosts.

Practice: Unveiling
    Action: Instant
    Duration: Prolonged (one scene)
    Aspect: Covert
    Cost: None

This spell would allow a mage to observe and identify through sensory perception the characteristics of an anchor. However, it cannot detect a living person as an anchor, only objects (and places?). The spell does not reveal which ephemeral being is bound to it. Such information would require use of sympathetic connections.

Notes / Possible Tweaks:
    • Detect Living Anchor might be (Death • + Life •)?
    • If the practice were changed to Knowing and duration as Concentration, perhaps the spell could function more like Detect Substance to sense the anchor in their immediate vicinity?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Interconnections or Correspondence, yo.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

C
    Casitive

I'm not sold on Interconnections doing it already, that's more destiny and connections. And even if it worked, it would probably require 5 success on the casting, since an Anchor would be an Intimate Sympathetic Connection. Correspondence might certainly work. But the CT above, Vassagon is making it more complicated than it already is.

I would just co-opt Read Spirit and rename it Read Ghost. This would probably only tell you the anchor(s) but not tell you where they are.

Life 3 let's you do things like Control Median life, letting you trigger various instincts such as pack defence instinct to get the animal to do what you want. Do you think it would be fair to use this more subtly like triggering just the 'reward, good job' pathway to make animal training easier? If so could that give a bonus? If not do you think such a thing would be an appropriate creative thaumaturgy? Say suxx to training rolls?

T

linkrulesx10 I think the spell you're looking for is Trigger Autonomic Function.

Not an autonomic function otherwise I would use it.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

Cayce

Question for you. There is a Time spell called Shield of Chronos that is explicitly a barrier against scrying attempts using Time. Its on page 261 of Mage Core but for ease I'll put it here.

SHIELD OF CHRONOS
    PRACTICE: Veiling
    ACTION: Instant
    DURATION: Prolonged (Scene)
    ASPECT: Covert
    COST: 1 Mana (optional)

The spell is a defence against Temporal scrying. My question is:

Crowley knows that the music from the Gar-Dena tape (I'm assuming demo tape but could be wrong) causes madness and other things. He knows he has no viable shield effects against magic, but he is aware that the tapes last victims had their Time ablated away (he saw this effect in action). Knowing that, could he use this Shield of Chronos as a template to improvise a spell that protects against other Time based effects, so that he could at least improvise a shield of some stripe against the music's inherent magic?

Cabo (and thus Einstein) who was our primary magic shield enabler, appears to be awol right now. Crowley could at least try to fill the void using what knowledge he has gained so far. Is this possible and/or acceptable?

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)