Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Creative Thaumaturgy

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 7 of 11 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Last
    R
    RiffRaff

And also...

Would it be possible with Time 2 to cast a variation of Augury that allows to ask question about the past ?
    Example, chosen completely at random: "Has Reverb passed here in the last hour ?" while standing at some spot.

Thanks.
    That sounds like something you'd use Postcognition for, doesn't it?

L
    LoneRanger

IMHO a lot.

That sounds like something you'd use Postcognition for, doesn't it?
    I don't think so.

As I read it, Postcognition allows you to re-live events at a set moment in time, but you have to specify a precise timing. You can thus get a wealth of details about the way an event unfolded, at the cost of a precise timing.
    Whereas what I have in mind is not so precise about the answer, but noris it about the timing.

You specify a question that can be answered by yes / no about the past at your current location, and get an answer. You can't pinpoint it time-wise (not without several castings, at least), but you can get your answer. Whereas postcognition, if you have to make a guess about the timing will yield no answer if you're off the mark by a mere ten minutes.

Did I explain it well that you can see the difference I have in mind, please ?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Have you thought about Temporal Eddies for all your time telling needs?
    "My father says that almost the whole world is asleep.
    Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to.
    He says that only a few people are awake,
    and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

I hadn't, but it doesn't seem to fit the bill, imho.

Anyway, those are now all academic points, since the thread has moved past the point when those spells would have been useful.
    Since I think those are interesting possibilities, I'd still like to eventually get an answer on those two potential spells, please:

1 - one to map Awakened around the caster
    2 - one to ask general questions about the past ((a direct opposite of Augury))

And so as not to lose memory of those (if any, of course), I'd then add them to the wiki.

Thanks !

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I hadn't, but it doesn't seem to fit the bill, imho.

Anyway, those are now all academic points, since the thread has moved past the point when those spells would have been useful.
    Since I think those are interesting possibilities, I'd still like to eventually get an answer on those two potential spells, please:

1 - one to map Awakened around the caster
    2 - one to ask general questions about the past ((a direct opposite of Augury))

And so as not to lose memory of those (if any, of course), I'd then add them to the wiki.

Thanks !
    1) Sense Life + Prime conjunctional (to detect awakened) + Space conjunctional (to plot them)

2) This isn't actually a direct opposite of Augury. Augury tells the Mage what is likely to happen; there are no absolutes. Postcog gives you the ability to see the past, which is immutable. One of them deals with probability, one of them deals with chronology. These are separate Arcana.

Essentially, what you're wanting to do is Postcog, but without the limitations of Postcog. What you want to do already exists: either as Postcog or even Breaching the Vault. Discerning the past is the sole purview of Time, and the method to do so is Postcognition.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

1. It looks like you're trying to make a spell that allows you to find all of the awakened in an area. That sounds like you're looking for Supernal Vision.

2. I don't see the point of it. Most specifically since in the case of the scene with reverb you know the EXACT time he was on the phone with you, Postcognition shouldn't be that difficult for that type of a situation. Especially since if you did have the Space 2 to attach to it you could go "Show me Reverb at this time."

Sure it's sympathetic, but you'd know.
    1 - Indeed, this is very close what I'm aiming for. As stated here.
    2 - That's where I've got to admit I hadn't thought this through, in the case of that scene. Though in other case, the kind of spell I'm asking about could be useful, imho.

1) Sense Life + Prime conjunctional (to detect awakened) + Space conjunctional (to plot them)

2) This isn't actually a direct opposite of Augury. Augury tells the Mage what is likely to happen; there are no absolutes. Postcog gives you the ability to see the past, which is immutable. One of them deals with probability, one of them deals with chronology. These are separate Arcana.

Essentially, what you're wanting to do is Postcog, but without the limitations of Postcog. What you want to do already exists: either as Postcog or even Breaching the Vault. Discerning the past is the sole purview of Time, and the method to do so is Postcognition.
    1 - Thanks.
    2 - I don't see where the "other Arcana" comes from, but anyway. Yes, what I wanted was a variation on Postcog. Basically, Postcog with less precise input, and less precise output. Now, you state that "The method to discern the past is Postcognition.", thus ruling out this possible variation. OK, so be it then. That's a clear ruling, and I can live with that.

M
    Matrixchild

I know I'm new so this is more to just send a potential idea out to people. My idea for a spell was a combination of mind and Fate called "Not me" and "Pick me". They do basically the opposite of each other. "Not me" would make you appear, based on the number of successes, as less likely of a target. This could apply in social situations or combat with "target" being attack target or target of someone's ire, etc. "Pick me" would just make you more likely of a target for things. Not really seeking approval, just putting the idea out there for people.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

M
    Matrixchild

I guess I didn't think about using it for that purpose. I guess my version would have just been a stronger more directed version of it since I always saw winds of chance as you desiring good luck for yourself and then hoping the ST interprets it the way you'd like. Fate can be so finnicky

Page 7 of 11 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Last
+ Reply to Thread