Ended
Watch
31 - 40
DISPLAYED
Tom's Diner

Page 4 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last
    D
    Daysha Jackson

Fuck fuck fuck. I shouldn’t have let that slip. I bet I get some lecture just like I get from mom.

“Hindsight is twenty-twenty Rory and sometimes stupid things happen when you’re in love.” Daysha said it like there was a bad taste in her mouth.

“Just one, he’s 13. My brother lives with us and helps out.” She still couldn’t bring herself to look at Rory. Although her tone said she was waiting for the next question

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Status ••• (Academics) Theology Doctorate

"Wow, you and your brother must be close."

Siblings fascinated Rory. It was a bit cliche, but he'd never had the opportunity to form any lasting ties to anyone -- certainly not like siblings would have.

He had the mental equivalent of grinding gears when he realized he was staring at Daysha and doing math to figure out how old she might be.

"Ummmm, what does he do? Your brother?"

Because he was curious about the risks of her job and preparations she might have made for her son.

D
    Daysha Jackson

“Yeah, we’re really close. The only one I’m closer to is my father.” Daysha shrugged a little. “Could be because he’s cop, now retired… for the most part.” Making a bit of a how do I put this face. “My mother, not so much. I’m sure you’d just love her.” Wanna meet her? She makes the priest at her church cringe.

“But my brother lives with me to help out and whatnot.” Although he could do laundry or the dishes once in a while.

Daysha took a sip of coffee “My brother is a psychology professor at the university. I’m surprised he didn’t go into criminal psychology, but I suppose the abnormal stuff suits him better. It’s kind of nice to have someone who doesn’t have a bias opinion to run profiles of killers with.” For Daysha, this sounds very much business as usual.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"A professor? Huh."

Well, Jackson was a common name, unless it was a different University. Or maybe he was just a new fish in a big pond.

"That's cool, that's great that you're close and your brother is there to help."

Rory lifted his glass of water and took a swallow; too fast, one of the slivers of ice that was all that remained of a cube slipped through. Family was awkward -- or rather, not being able to truly empathize and reciprocate, to contribute to the conversation, made him feel awkward.

"So what about your mother? Why would I love her?"
    he asked, curious, a tentative smile forming.

Please don't say because she likes church music. Please.

D
    Daysha Jackson

“That was sarcasm.” She probably didn’t need to point it out, but as he didn’t know her very well, she figured she should.

“My mother is your typical fake parishioner who thinks that church is social hour. Complimenting people’s attire then insulting them away from the church. I don’t think she sees mass, church or those small organizations the way they should be seen. When she complains about someone else’s funeral hot dish at the funeral, it’s pretty tacky.” Daysha rolled her eyes. “The thing is, I don’t think she’s aware that she looks down her nose at people like that. Maybe that’s why I’ve been burned about religion for so long.” FYI, she's kind of a bitch. Wonder where I get it from at times.

Daysha turned her head a little. “Uh… I feel really odd going on about my family considering…” She sighed. “Actually guilty is the word.” She looked at Rory apologetically.

Why does he 'like' me? After today, I'm guessing that will change...

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"Unfortunately the Church can be a framework for bad habits as well as good ones," Rory answered, frowning slightly.

"I'm sorry that was the case for you."

The words sounded hollow, and he looked down at the glass he still held. Part of him was still angry at that same Church, for the same reasons.

He looked back up, and grinned, shaking his head.

"Don't. Feel guilty, or odd, that is. I like hearing that kind of stuff. I mean, that's what it's all about, right? Love? The Fifth Element?" Rory arched an eyebrow as he asked the last, seeing if she got the reference.

D
    Daysha Jackson

“Yeah I recall seeing the movie. It’s the one thing that keeps the world together… I think that’s what the movie was getting at. And perhaps what you’re getting at?” Daysha tipped her eyebrows a little, wondering if they were on the same page.

“Rory? I kinda want to hear about what happened.” Usually she was blunt when it came to questioning, although this time she spoke with caution. “Ya know, with the church stuff, and you.” She bit her lip a little. “But if you’re not ready, I’ll understand.”

I am so not an ‘it’s all about me person’ like Alexis Kane . Daysha could only partially imagine what it was like when one world was ripped away, and you had to start from scratch. Thanks Tony *finger* Maybe she and Rory could help each other...

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"Yeeeah, the Church," Rory echoed.

A hand with callused knuckles rubbed his face, and he looked around the diner.

"Honestly? I preferred the ladies' room."

It's said without a hint of innuendo, and he continued to look around, obviously uncomfortable with the location.

He turned back to face Daysha, and rested an arm on the table.

Am I avoiding talking about it? I don't think I am.

"And the beer," he added, touching the water glass ruefully. Or something stronger.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha’s brows were furrowed. She felt awkward… really awkward.

“Ya wanna go talk in the friggen bathroom?” Her eyes narrowed a little. Her knee started bouncing again under the table. “I’m really confused.” She didn't sound mad, just sounded baffled.

“I mean the only other place that’s private that has beer and liquor is either the basement at the spiral or my place.” She said it as if it was just rattling off a grocery list.

I feel like I’m having a one sided conversation with my mother.

First you don't want to talk in the ladies room. Oh but hey lets to do lunch, dinner, whatever. Now you want to go back to the ladies room or somewhere other than here. And men say women are fucking confusing.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Rory didn't point out he meant the other bathroom. Mainly, because they had already been there. He wasn't going to go do that again.

Check that box again for the Spiral with all of it's Derevkos and Kanes.

"I'm sorry, I'm not doing that on purpose,"
    he began.

"I don't know where to begin. You obviously know I was a vicar at the Church, and you know I do Theology classes at the uni... but I'm not with the Church anymore," Rory spoke as if he were reciting the facts to get an idea of where to make that beginning; of where the questions were.

"I was being examined and vetted to join the Catholic Church's International Association of Exorcists,"
    he continued. His tone turned softer, musing, going back through his memories. If anything, he sounded like someone recalling memories of a lost loved one.

"Well. I told you what happened. I was asked to recant my statement, and refused to."

We believe in possession but not vampires. Or, we can't.

He leaned forward, looking at Daysha intently.

"Do you understand? The power that the belief in life after death holds? Immortality?"

Page 4 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last

Members who have read this thread : 2

You do not have permission to view the list of names.