Watch
31 - 40
DISPLAYED
The Spiral III

Page 4 of 25 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... Last

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Status ••• (Academics) Theology Doctorate

There really wasn't time to protest, or even ask questions. Questions did swim through his thoughts, though; lazy, slow things like if she were going to try an intervention.

Although, he had to admit, being a cop meant she could do a lot more than try.

Nothing was making sense.

"What? We couldn't, just... ?"

Well, no, if she didn't want anyone to know she'd been to Confession and needed a priest. Was that... a sign of weakness? Or instability? The thought was unpleasant.

"Yes, I've been... defrocked."

He still couldn't bring himself to think of the formal word. Not since he'd last heard it.

"I'm sorry. I know it's a a shock, that, and, me being here. But it doesn't make anything I said less true, or Him less real."

Please believe me.

Rory wanted to ask Daysha Jackson why she hadn't come back, but instinctively knew that would put her on the defensive and just make things worse. Crossing his arms, he tugged at his collar, as if echoing what he'd done their last meeting. Except this wasn't his house.

He wished he'd brought the beer.

D
    Daysha Jackson

“Couldn’t we just what?” Daysha asked bluntly and looked at Rory Gordon . “Look, I know people come here to escape or whatever.” She said throwing her hands up in the air. “I wasn’t sure if they wanted to know you are a Priest.” Her eyes got wide. “Er, uh former…”

I suppose I would have known had I’d gone to church more… or called him, or something. His card was still in Daysha’s wallet. She took it out many times stared at it, then changed her mind.

“So, why were you defrocked? Defrocked… sounds like something my grandma did before bed. And yeah this is a shock.” A shock that I nearly poured everything I know to you.

“So when did it happen? It may not make what you said less true, but it confused the fuck out of me.” Who am I kidding with past tense, I’m still fucking lost with God, not that it will change what I need to do. “Gawd I hope this wasn’t my fault.” Shaking her head then realizing after she spoke that it was out loud.

Seeing him mess with his shirt at the neck she asked. “Am I making you nervous?” She asked, wishing she had a smoke.

"Well," she began, a hint of mischief creeping into her smile, "it's not as interesting as you'd think. We're cousins. I mean, like, really distant cousins, but the relation's still there. I moved to Sacramento about a year ago and since my family is all on the east coast they kinda pestered Daysha into 'keeping in touch' with me," Lexi explained, making air quotes. "Guess she feels obligated to, I don't know. I mean, we don't get along badly, per se, but its a work in progress. Oh, hold on here, gotta check this," she said, holding up a finger before pulling out her phone and checking her messages. She quickly tapped out a text to Daysha Jackson before putting the phone away.

Daysha's Text

"Sorry 'bout that, just letting them know I'm busy,"
    she laughed. "So...how'd you get the scar?"

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"Couldn't we just... step over to the bar, or somewhere other than the lady's room to talk?" he finished his question, since she asked. His cheek ticked and he half-cocked his head, accentuating the oddity of the circumstance, and his discomfort with it.

"And... yeah. This makes me nervous. You just locked me in the lady's room."

He gestured, a random hand wave, signifying something irrelevant.

"And, really, thank you for comparing the loss of my temporal and spiritual identity to your nana's dentures."

If he'd heard the rest of what Daysha Jackson said, it hadn't filtered through yet.

D
    Daysha Jackson

There was definitely something on Daysha’s mind while she was attempting to talk to Rory.

She put her hands up in a surrender gesture “Hey, sorry. I thought you’d rather not talk about it out there. Clearly I was wrong.” Stating sincerely, not sarcastic. About a lot of things.

She was regretting going to confession, meeting Rory Gordon and not sitting on the couch reading right now. Maybe some of it was her fault. Daysha knew that it only took one moment to change your life, good or bad, and then everything would look different. I wonder how you like it, being put on the spot about something personal in your life and then realize that the person you're talking too would rather ramble about something you can't relate to!

Mumbling under her breath “Fuck me for caring.” as she responded to Alexis Kane ’s text with OK. She turned sharply and looked at Rory. “It’s not like I could take you downst…” Stopping abruptly then hopped off the counter toward the door.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"Stop, wait, I'm sorry," Rory said, reaching up, but stopping at the last second before touching her.

I've just been told I can't be who I thought I'd be or do what I thought I'd do for the rest of my life.

But men were men, and fallible.

"I'm not dealing with this well."

Understatement of the week, check last night's bar tab.

"Thank you for caring,"
    he continued, offering Daysha Jackson a smile. It was strange, but as soon as the words left his lips, he wondered if anyone else did. "Really."

"...Take me... where? What's downstairs?"

Visions of Eyes Wide Shut and Nine 1/2 Weeks went though his thoughts, and he wondered if he wanted to know.

K
    Kazakin

Derevko raised an eyebrow at Lexi, the jagged, keloid scar that bisected that and terminated at the bridge of his nose twitching. He watched her reactions, trying to gauge if she was feeding him a line or not. He wasn't the most genius of guys, but he was fucking smart enough not to listen to everything women said in bars. At the second question though, he snorted in amusement.

"You're gonna have to be more specific. Which of my many, many facial scars are you talking about?" Derevko gestured at his face. The marks of the many injuries over the years, the broken nose, the damage, just hadn't been kind enough to fade away with time.

Detect lie, 2 successes

K
    Kazakin

Lexi needs to roll 3 successes on Manipulation + Subterfuge to get Derevko to buy that.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Ohhh not yet buddy…

Daysha ignored the basement question intentionally. “I know how it is when events alter your life abruptly.” Stating while walking back to the counter and half sitting on it.

“Can I ask why it happened? I know you’re not dealing well. I can’t help but think fate or something stepped in.” She shrugged, knowing he believed in God having a way with things, sometimes fate was altogether different.

“Look I’ll make a deal, you tell me why you were let go and I’ll tell you what I was trying to get around in confession that day.”
    Looking at Rory Gordon with compassionate eyes.

That is, if you don’t lie to me. What did you do to get you fired…

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Rory half-grinned at the mention of fate. Fate was nothing more than the outcome of decision trees He presented to help define one's path. The or something, did she ever think of that something as someone ?

The thoughts were gone as quick as they came; he didn't dwell on them, there were near automatic responses to words he'd heard over and over through the years. Instead he focused on what he could say, and how. Whether or not he was thrilled with what had happened, trash talking the Church, well, no thank you. It was, after all, the Bride of Christ, and he'd rather face Judgment without "Talked Shit About Your Girl" on the books.

"I... saw an... anomaly. There was a difference in opinion on what it was,"
    he finally said.

That sounded so lame.

"I was being vetted to perform the ritual of Exorcism,"
    Rory added, looking at Daysha Jackson curiously, remembering her Confession.

Page 4 of 25 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... Last

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.