Ended
Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
O'Father where art thou...

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha couldn’t help but think Father (uh) was kinda trivializing this. Although she supposed when people in the military heard ‘Thank you for serving our country,’ it wasn’t much different.

She sat down on the pew and even the seat was cooler than the sweat box. “Yeah, thank you.” Was spoken with slight exasperation.

Daysha’s face was still puzzled at his statement that kept playing through her mind. “Father, do you think your calling is a burden?” She crossed her legs as attempted to make herself more comfortable. Catholic seating is a back killer. “I'm asking because I’ve never thought it as that before.” Calmly spoke, but also it denoted she wanted a serious answer.

I wonder if he’s actually listening, or rattling off something so he get out of here faster and head to the bar.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Status ••• (Academics) Theology Doctorate

Rory looked surprised that she would ask him, and invite comparison between the two.

"Of course it is,"
    he replied, becoming serious. "Yours, that is. If something were to happen," he began, gesturing, then rubbing his chin as he searched for the words.

"You risk dying while not in a state of grace."

He cocked his head, curious if she'd ever considered the possibility.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha set her jacket down beside her. Leaning forward with her arms crossed on her lap, her brow furrowed slightly. “You didn’t answer my question Father.” She asked, as she doubted she’d be coming back after tonight.

"What is the definition of the state of grace?" Her voice concerned with the subject matter.

I wish dad wasn’t fishing right now. If that’s where he really was. Although she was fairly certain fishing was code for something else.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"In the simplest terms, the term 'state of grace' means that you are free of any unresolved mortal sin, and will not be barred from the Kingdom of Christ," Rory explained.

It had been a while since he'd struggled in a conversation; he felt as if he was playing poker without having seen his hole cards. She'd spoken of... death... but had not seemed overly concerned with elaborating and penance. Instead, she was here for something else.

He rubbed a hand over his chin, considering the mystery for a few moments more before nodding.

"I'm sorry, I thought your question was rhetorical. In some ways, it can be. Some seek comfort rather than absolution. Some see only the stern face of rules and punishment, and not the loving embrace and forgiveness."

The corner of his mouth twitched in a half smile and he looked up at Daysha.

"Sometimes you want to help people but they won't meet you half way."

D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha was getting warm again, but for different reasons this time.

There was a lot of things she never considered before tonight, yet it was leading up to the reason she came here in the first place.

She waited a moment before speaking again and her head titled slightly. “Grace huh.” Another pause while she pondered. “Aren't our beliefs about self sacrifice? Doesn’t the Bible talk about that? Wouldn’t my mortal sins be absolved?”

She took in a breath as she maintained speaking quietly. “I know I’m not perfect. I know I have sins." Daysha looked into Rory's eyes. "But if someone or something walked through those doors right now and I risked my life for you, would you still think I was going to hell? Or would He love and forgive me?” There was passion in her voice as she spoke. The kind that the truly dedicated had.

Then the other thing she had been pondering surfaced. She leaned in closer, putting her hands beside her on the pew. "What if hell came to us?" She said in a whisper.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Rory's eyes narrowed and his eyes slid away, looking around the nave.

Was Ashton Kutcher going to jump out and tell him he was Punk'd if he went for this?

Or was this woman one of the few that had witnessed... something?

"No greater love has a man than he lay down his life for his friends, this we are told in the Book of John,"
    Rory answered, voice dropping. "The sacrifice is the most potent act, with His sacrifice, every soul was given a chance for redemption. But the Word is clear. Sacrifice does not impart a state of grace. This is why Jesus prayed at Gethsemane."

Rory wanted to vomit, and he looked away again.

Looking back, his voice dropped again, to almost a whisper but with an undertone of urgency.

"This is the official position of the Holy See, which I represent as long as I wear these vestments."

More, he wanted to say, but could not in good conscience; it was up to her to ask the right question now.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha's massaged her temple as her frustration surfaced. This was exactly why she didn't go to church anymore. Does he even believe what he's saying?

"Is that from memory?" As she remarked on his banter of the Bible.

Daysha's voice was hushed as she spoke. "So what if you're out of those vestments?" Throwing her hand up in the air then pointing her thumb to the doors of the church behind her. "What if we were not in this place right now and I asked you the same question?"

She shook her head and looked down for a minute before returning to his eyes. "I came here because I'm torn over something I know is wrong. There are some things among us that shouldn't be here."

Her voice in a whisper but entirely serious as she leaned in closer to the Priest. "If something came from hell, and I wanted to send it back, would I end up in the same place?" Daysha's tone was low as she continued, as if she was angered by something she had been tossing over in her mind. "Do you think there are things on this earth that God had nothing to do with, that are... inhuman?" There was an afterthought glint in her eyes that she may have said too much.

Great, I bet he thinks I'm crazy now. I'm sure if I said vampire or something else, he'd fucking call the precinct. Why did I come here?

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

The changes were small, but there, when Daysha asked if he was quoting from memory; eyes hardened slightly, and the line of his mouth flattened.

"Let me ask you this, Officer."

It didn't sound like a request.

"When you Miranda-rize someone, do you do it from memory? And if you do, does it make the law less valid? Moreover: do you agree with every law? Maybe -- maybe not. It's not your job to, and whether or not you agree or disagree should have little effect on whether or not you uphold the law and no effect on your answer should someone ask you what the law says."

Taking a breath, he held up a hand to forestall an argument before he continued, "And so we have judges. And so we will be Judged."

For a few moments it seemed he was done, and his features slowly softened again to their original cast.

"Of course I believe in these things, as much as I believe in the Heavenly Host."

Finally, he took the plunge.

"What have you seen?"

He left the rest unasked; what had she done?

D
    Daysha Jackson

Are you fucking patronizing me?

Daysha pulled back and held up her hands in front of her gently in slight surrender.

"Fine, you're right." She didn't sound defeated, but she realized when she was pressing the issue. Had this been an interrogation, things would have gone differently. Yet she felt the shoe was on the other foot, and her beliefs were being challenged. What little that were left.

Expecting him to have shut her out at that point, her eyebrow raised slightly. "Ya know most of the time when I've attempted mentioned this to religious... folks, the answer is usually no." Actually it's more like 'you're full of shit'.

Daysha breathed in, but she didn't sound calm and ran a hand through her hair. For all she knew he could be one of the things she was looking for. "Working in law enforcement exposes you to the horrors of the world. I know how to deal with humans and the terrible things they do." She continued looking at him, and one hand slid to the side and made contact with her jacket. Ready to run if she needed to.

Daysha leaned in, gathering up her coat and spoke in a hushed tone again. "I'm talking about the kind of... things that make people lose sleep at night. Ones that take more than... material items from humans. The things that make up some of the... cold cases and disappearances." It was evident that she was serious... and trying not to cuss. "Beings that are... unnatural..." She waited on the edge of her seat, literally, as she watched him closely. Still she was vague, but she had to be.

Next time I'm going fishing with dad. I was insane to come here.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Rory unconsciously leaned back as she leaned in; he wasn't used to having someone in his personal space, and so he shied away from the proximity.

"The Word warns us of these things,"
    he replied just as quietly, needing her to understand that he wasn't just agreeing so she would continue. In other circumstances he might point out that even people of faith didn't realize that questioning the agents of darkness was blasphemy by association.

"Are you speaking about... a possession?"

She'd spoken of things that took more than material items, but even as he asked the question he realized he wanted to ask a different one.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Members who have read this thread : 2

You do not have permission to view the list of names.