Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Daysha Jackson Glimpses

THREADID
    D
    Daysha Jackson

"Yeah Aaron's doing good in school. He's going to camp part of the summer." (Gunfire)

"Oh that will give you a nice break"
    (Gunfire)

"Break for what?" (Gunfire)

"Oh I don't know honey. Finding a nice guy." Snicker (Gunfire)

"And.... I'm gonna cut you off right there dad, we've had this conversation." (Gunfire)

"Okay Okay, simmer down." (Gunfire)

"Darrin's new girlfriend is nice. Better than that other trollop Emily."
    (Gunfire)

"Yeah, I didn't think they were going to last long. Gold digger there."
    (Gunfire)

"So.... Dad.... At what point were you going to tell me you knew the old guy at the bar and creeper Irish?"
    (Gunfire)

"When you are ready." (Gunfire)

"And you determined that when?" (Gunfire)

"When you are ready, honey." (Gunfire)

"When the shit hit the fan? Is that what you define as ready?" (Gunfire)

"I want you to learn as I did. You'll get better at what you do this way." (Gunfire)

"This way? Fly by the seat of my pants?" (Gunfire)

"You have to depend on yourself first Daysha. Who says I'll be around forever?" (Gunfire)

"Funny.... So, anyone else you want to let me know about?" (Gunfire)

"Nope." (Gunfire)

"So, we're stalemating this?" (Gunfire)

"Yup." (Gunfire)

"Christ" Eyeroll "So now what?" (Gunfire)

"Trust in yourself Daysha. And I am here if you ever really do need me." (Gunfire)

"Anything else you wanna tell me?" (Gunfire)

"I bought a Camero."
    (Gunfire)

"Can I drive it sometime? And I meant about the other stuff."
    (Gunfire)

"We'll see." (Gunfire)

"Oh, by the way, did I mention I punched Irish?" (Gunfire)

"No! Why did you do that? Way to go Daysh."

"He fucking pawed on me. He's like creepy uncle Herman."

"You're never gonna get laid if you keep punching people."
    *Snorts*

D
    Daysha Jackson

Darrin and his girlfriend had went to bed not long after Aaron had gone to bed himself. Daysha was unsettled. It had been a couple of months since she met with Father Gordon. There was maybe 5 masses she went to and quit. She didn’t want to lean on dad any more about her inner turmoil. And mom? Ha, unless it was discussed over shopping or some wretched coffee shop, forget it. Not like mom would get it anyway.

She got in her car and drove to Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrow. She assumed the Father Gordon wasn’t there at 11pm anyway. Daysha was still seriously confused after confession. She’s never wanted revenge before... ugh why do I feel this way.

After all, when Anthony left, she just wanted his balls cut off. That’s not really revenge per say, it’s just a normal reaction to being jilted. Asshole.

For some reason, she couldn’t help but want to seek guidance from God. I blame that priest. First I was concerned about sex, then wanting to kill something evil and now...

Pulling up in front of the church, she saw candles lit in the stained glass windows. Daysha walked up to the front doors and pulled one open. “What the hell?” She tried again. “You have got to be kidding me! I thought churches were always open.” She kicked the door, not hard, but enough to vent her frustration. “What a waste of fucking gas.”

She got into the car and slammed the door and put her head on the steering wheel. Is everyone tormented by the knowing? I can’t be fucking questioning myself. Why the fuck did I go to confession. I’m pretty sure god and I were cool till that fucking priest made me think I was going to hell because I wasn’t in grace. She sat up quickly and hit the steering wheel. Damn it!

She put the Charger in gear and drove to the outskirts of town. County Road 89, no one came down this road at night. She put in a mixed CD Darrin made her a while ago, she’d forgotten what was on it. Some Bon Jovi, K.I.S.S., other random songs. She lit a cig, although she hated smoking in her car. Daysha needed clarity, hit the accelerator and 90 mph down the dark road.

Sometimes she wished she’d never found out. Oblivion seemed much better than this shit. She was hardly able to relate to the idiots at the station. They saw her change to a fairly nice girl who spoke her mind... and now she was the bitch. Fuck you all. If they could only know, if she could only tell them. It was bad enough she had to put up with normal psychos and murder victims.

A song came through the radio... and she listened to it, on repeat. Her brother knew her well. As she listened to the woman’s raspy voice, she slowed down a bit. She was doing exactly that. It was looking through the other side of the glass at the world. Maybe only dad would understand her, at least she had him. Daysha wondered why her dad got into the search. Did he think the vampires, demons and whatever were evil? If dad didn’t seem to struggle with it, maybe she shouldn’t either. Everyone has their reasons... she was sure hers were no different from her fathers. Her son was her world, and that was reason enough for revenge.

Standing on the Outside

D
    Daysha Jackson

After having cleaned her house, unnecessarily, for two days Daysha was making sure there was “a place for everything and everything in its place”. Mom was coming to visit. Thankfully dad warned her that mom was going to “drop by” after shopping on Saturday. Why she didn’t shop during the other days of the week was beyond Daysha, it’s not like the woman worked. The house was beyond clean, especially after taking a toothbrush and cleaning under shit that didn’t even need to be cleaned. Like she didn’t have enough shit on her plate with work oh and that other “stuff” dad likes to call fishing.

For some convenient reason, Darrin went to his girlfriends that evening and Aaron suddenly was invited over to his best friend’s for dinner. Thanks guys, you’ll be eating liver for a couple of days…

Thinking she had some time to spare before Debbie arrived, Daysha was on the side porch smoking. She had glanced up for some odd reason to see the cream colored Lincoln Towne Car coming up the road. SHIT! She threw the cig in the grass and dashed into the house to spray on some perfume and pop in a piece of gum just in time to hear the door bell ring.

Seriously? No one fucking uses the front door, Queen Debbie. Rolling her eyes she went and opened the door.

“Hi Honey! How are you doing?” Debbie said with a fake smile not bothering to take off her shoes. (Shoes must be taken off in her parent’s house.) Followed up a half-assed hug. Debbie’s voice is always sticky sweet with a touch of I’m above you tone.

Daysha reciprocated the hug the same way. “Oh I’m good, constantly busy.”

“With what?” Debbie said while she started to survey the living room.

What do you mean with what? “Oh you know, work, Aaron and his swim meets, band and that stuff.” She said with an air of condescending to it.

“Well that doesn’t sound so busy.” Debbie turned with a fake smile.

“Uh yeah… so anyway what brings you by?” Still trying to be nice, Daysha asked with a smile.

Debbie walked straight to the kitchen and started peering through stuff and opening cupboards. “Oh just thought I’d check up on you. I’ll just put this dish in the dishwasher for you.” To which she opened the door to the dishwasher which was only half full. “Ya know you should run this every other day or it gets kinda funny inside. Here I’ll just start it for you.”

“Mom, I’ll get it later.” She rolled her eyes standing behind her mom. “How was shopping?”

“Ya know you should hire someone to come in here and give this place a good cleaning with you being BUSY and all.” Debbie said with a condescending smile.

“Mom, did you come here for a nice visit, or just to rain on my parade?”

“Now why on earth would I just come here to criticize you honey.” Patting Daysha’s cheek.

Do I look like I’m 10?
    “Gee mom, cause that’s your thing.” Ya bitch.

“Stop getting all defensive Dayday. If you would have a normal job, you’d be able to do things like cook dinner and clean the house.”

“Uh, I do both of those things and manage to keep up with Aaron. What’s the problem?”

“Well now honey, you haven’t cleaned the windows since the last time I was here. And someone threw a cigarette on the lawn. If you had a desk job you’d be able to do that stuff.” Debbie said with a grin.

And people wonder why I’m bitchy. “Look ma, knock it off I know what you’re playing at.” Thanks for nonchalantly pointing out that you know I still smoke, and I don't give a flying fuck.

“Police stuff is for men dear. Look at how fast your father moved up. Men that are cops excel faster, I think you’re just putting in far too much effort and getting no where.”

Daysha glared. “Mom I know you were born in the 50’s but we’re long past that bare-foot-pregnant-in-the-kitchen bullshit.”

“Perhaps Aaron would be better at other sports if you had more time to run him there. I’m sure he’s always wanted to play football you just don’t have that kind of time.”

“Get out.” Daysha said glaring.

“What? Did I say something wrong? I’m just trying to be helpful.” She says with that sticky sweet smile.

“Don’t come into my house and tell me how to run MY life. Dad never says that shit to me. Hell dad is proud of me. I don’t fucking get why you can’t be satisfied that I am who I am.

“Because girls shouldn’t be cops honey. I’ve been telling you that for years.” Debbie shook her head with a smile.

“Get out! Get out get out get out get out. I do not need this shit from you.” Daysha walked to the side door by the kitchen and opened it.

“I’m just trying to tell you what’s best. I have more experience at parenting than you do dear.”

Leave now! I don’t care that you think you’re a better parent, cause you certainly weren’t. Leaving dad with us all the time so you could do all your socializing after he slaved all day on the force. I am damn good at what I do. I don’t care that you think otherwise.”

“Ok well I should be going, I have a hair appointment in a half hour.” Debbie smiled as she walked to the door.

Did you hear a fucking thing I said? “Uh yeah ok mom.” So I made dinner for nothing. Ugh!!!

“Tell Darrin and Aaron I said hi and I love them okay? I need your Christmas List soon.”

“Mom, its July!”

“It’s best to get a jump on things. You should try that once in a while.” She said with another sickly grin as she walked through the doorway.

“Like hell.” Slamming the door, then kicking the trash can. “Ya know my life would be easier if my parents just got a divorce!” Speaking out loud.

Target practice time… at the shooting range of course.

D
    Daysha Jackson

The Day of the Poker Party

06:00 – Get up, shower, breakfast for Darrin and Aaron

07:00 – Drive to school, drop Aaron off.

08:00 – Get to precinct. Get nasty jabs and wolf whistled. One of these days, when I see them in the bar, I may just kick their ass. Doing paperwork and going through a few cases.

09:00 – Still going through a few cases.

10:17 – Aaron calls to remind me to pick myself up a costume.

10:31 – Take a call about a case with a body that disintegrated to ashes. Spontaneous combustion, yeah right. Vampire.

10:59 – Get to the scene of the reported spontaneous combustion. Lots of blood. Maybe the human actually won this time.

11:27 – Another call to check out a woman stabbed to death. Finally something normal. We’ll catch your ex lady. I hate domestic violence.

12:14 – Grabbed a lettuce wrap on the way to the precinct.

12:37 – Text from Aaron. “Can Jarod and Seth get a ride with me to the party?” Reply: “Sure honey!”

13:25 – Sifting through more cases.

14:45 – Warehouse lead for someone that could be a serial killer.

15:58 – Leave to pick up Aaron and his friends. Call to Darrin. “Hey, you’re going to pick up Aaron at 11 right? I have that costume party or whatever the hell it is tonight.” Pause. “Thanks brother, you’re a peach.”

16:17 – Grab some dinner. “Mom, don’t forget your costume.”“Oh yeah, thanks hun. Busy day at work. Hey, are we going to the Haunted Corn Maze tomorrow?”“Yeah! Just you and me and the extra-creep run. Whoohoo!”

17:36 – Finish helping Aaron put on his Zombie gear. Paint his face, blood in his hair, ground up gummy worms for some odd reason. Kitchen = Disaster, Arron = Happy.

18:39 – Drop Aaron and all his friends off at the party. Grabbed cash at ATM for poker.

19:12 – Go to costume store. Stare at costumes. Sneer at what’s left. Pick something in my size and say Fuck It!

19:32 – Pays and heads to the Spiral.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Homicide 2009

There was a timeless quality to the Lieutenant's office. It was probably due to the fact that the Homicide Division's maintenance budget had just enough money to stretch to get the damn coffee machine fixed when it inevitably broke in the middle of the next all-nighter. Derevko leafed through the stack of manilla folders that had collected on his desk during his medical leave.

His latest medical leave.

Unconsciously, his hand moved to his cheek, and pressed the gauze. Faint red spots leeched through from the stitches, which weren't holding the cut shut properly. He swore, and wondered if it was too early to have a drink.

Probably. He wasn't really supposed to be back at work again, but they were short-handed. Again. Too many cases, not enough people, too many good cops lured away by private companies with better paychecks. Goddamnit. He turned over the stack of folders. Bar fight, bar fight, domestic, bar fight, and a whole stack of traffic fatalities. All signed up for.

The empty desks that he could see out of his office door were depressing. Oh well.

The Lieutenant walked to the coffee machine, moving almost gingerly to avoid straining his bruised ribs. He jammed a couple of quarters in the slot and hit the button.

The machine whirred and spat out a cup full of black, sludgy powder.

"Oh, fuck off."

Daysha had been walking through the station. She had been trying to pull files on another murder in town that was already arrested and sentenced. But something was odd about the most recent victim, the third in two weeks. There were days where the newer detective didn't think what she did made a difference. It wasn't until she was home with her son and brother that she knew somehow she did. Dad had retired not long ago, but his name still floated around the precinct. She didn't live in his shadow though. Daysha was her own woman, and after the accident the previous year, she headed for detective instead. It wasn't that the sense of danger was that much less, but it did help somewhat.

She rounded one of the halls that contained the snack machines and beverage dispensers for the building. It was the quickest way to get to her desk. When Daysha's head rounded the corner, she saw Jonathan. She hadn't realized he was back yet, as she had been extremely busy. Her face winced a little at the patch on his face. He probably wouldn't remember her, but he'd been around long enough to maybe know what was going on with a few of these cases that seemed to be connected.

Her head jerked a little nod as she ask. "Something wrong Lieutenant Derevko?" Daysha stopped on her way through the corridor. She didn't know much about him, but had heard he could be... difficult.

"Machine's out again," Derevko replied, his cold blue eyes narrowed at the coffee dispenser. "Look at this fucking stuff! It's like ashes in a cup, and no Goddamn water."He hit the side of the machine irritably, which just ground out more ash-like powder. Apparently it didn't respond well to brute force, either. Some days, it was just the little things that really got to him. He frowned for a moment.

"Never mind. Something I can help you with..." Derevko paused for a moment, turning his head slightly on the side. "Jackson, right?"

"Yeah, I try not to drink that shit. I normally bring my own." Daysha's tried to keep focus on his eyes or his forehead and not look at the bandage on his face. She couldn't remember why he was out for a while, but it didn't matter. She was out herself for a while. The newer detective only assumed it was in the line of duty.

She was a little shocked he remembered her name. Then again, it was probably because of her dad, but that didn't bother her. Tapping the case hanging from the strap on her arm, Daysha replied. "Yeah, I've been wondering about a couple cases I've been working on. Something seems to be connected, and there's a couple of pieces of evidence that seemed to be almost copy-cat type. I was told to check with you on it." Actually, I was told to avoid you like the plague, but apparently you're my last resort. Daysha waited for him to blow her off, or take her seriously.

Looking at the forehead didn't help. A long, knotted scar bisected Derevko's eyebrow, and from the look if it, it was pretty fresh. It distracted from his eyes, making him look even less approachable than he would have otherwise. The Lieutenant gave a little frown.

"Outside of my lot. Your Lieutenant in the field?" he said, before glancing down at the case. "Let's have a look at it, then."

I could use a fucking distraction. Maybe this is my lucky day.

"My Lieutenant is out for paternity leave." That and he didn't listen to a fucking thing I said, so I don't expect you to be any different. Daysha handed Derevko two file folders, with new evidence. "I came to you cause I pulled some files about some previous evidence. Two or three of them were on cases you've seen." She said quietly, as they were still in the hall. "The victims had several lacerations on their chest, a few were filleted. But particularly, there was a particular type of flower buried within their intestines."

Daysha thought about mention the urns or canisters found where the body's were that didn't match the current victim, or anyone else they had found. But she waited till Derevko either took her to the office, or asked for more details.

"Oh, yeah... I remember these two," Derevko frowned and flipped through the pictures. He didn't have any visceral reaction to the autopsy photographs. For some reason, he'd always been able to cope with that sort of thing. He supposed it was something to do with being raised by his dear old junkie of a mother. "The flower in number two was considered contamination by the Coroner, considering the body's dump location..." His index finger traced down the lists on the manilla folders. He clicked his teeth.

"Well, fuck the coffee. Let's look this over in my office," the scarred Lieutenant said, after pausing for a moment. "I'm no botanist myself, but I'm guessing you must've figured out at least something about this flower that's unique, yeah?" He walked towards his office. It still had that uncomfortable unaired smell that seemed to linger in the precinct when someone was out for a while. Derevko always thought it smelt of retirement.

Well, fuck that. That wasn't happening to him. He was fine.

When they got into his office, Daysha sat down in the chair across from Derekvo's desk. She noticed the stacks of files here and there, probably due to when he was out again. "So, what case were you on that put you out again for a while?" She asked as she couldn't really remember why.

"So, the flower was a type of poppy. The poppy is a type of flower used in Egyptian culture as it's the property of opium. So mixed with some of the urns or containers found in the area of the bodies, I think it's intentionally leading us in the opposite direction." She looked at Derevko with a furrowed brow and went on. "The Poppy is also famous for putting people to sleep in the Wizard of Oz, so there's been research done in that direction." Daysha flipped open another folder with a picture of a poppy depicted as California's state flower. "As you can see, the poppy is our state flower. I think the killer is in fact trying to turn this the other way and he or she is a politician of some sort." She sat back a little so he could take what she said into account.

"Do you know if anyone's researched any politicians in California or the area that may have Egyptian roots?" If not, that's next on my list. Since everyone else seems to think they're fucking perfect. "What leads did you follow on these other cases before?" And the cases before that lead to some crazy pharaoh nutjob.

"We're a fucking melting pot, Jackson, and it's an old nation. You'd be quicker listing people who either don't have a connection or who don't think The Mummy was a fucking good idea for a religion," Derevko said drily, but he was frowning at the case files. "Poppies..." He scratched at the patch over his cheek. "Y'know, you might be looking at this from the wrong angle. 'In Flander's fields, the poppies blow.' Some of the vics had military connections." He paused, then shrugged.

"Wasn't a case I was on. I answered an officer down and took a bottle through the cheek for my trouble."

Because I was being fucking reckless, blah blah blah, let's not talk about the fact that for a good ten minutes, I really wanted to kill that son of a bitch.

Yeah, that sure sounds like a bar fight to me. Daysha tried to control the slight lip curl from Derevko’s answer. She knew this guy was feisty, probably more so than she was.

Do I look like I’m new here or something? “I realize this country has people from various backgrounds.” Her eyebrows pulled together as she tried to recall the poem. “That angle is possible. But none of these happened on Remembrance Day or around then. I’m not saying it couldn’t be some military personnel or whatnot. But that doesn’t explain the urns or jars that were found by the bodies.” She pointed to one of the containers. “A few were ornate or heavily decorated.” Then her finger tapped the design on one of the photos.

Flipping open the file with the newest case, Daysha pointed to the woman. The cuts along the woman’s torso nearly looked like something was raked across her from neck to lower abdomen. It was clearly uneven and that they were made individually. There was a trace of fright left on her face, like it had been done when she was still alive. The body at the time the picture was taken had started to decompose. “Last week another body was discovered, and with that JoAnne Meyers had missing internal organs. The two jars.” She pointed to another picture of entirely different jars from the others. “Are not the organs she’s missing. Whoever this is will be striking again soon as we’ve been able to figure out their pattern.”

"I'm more inclined to think the urns are a deflection," Derevko explained, as he moved through the photos. "Most serials... they don't think about poetic shit like this. I mean, Ancient Egyptian religion's a bitch of a thing to try and decipher." Just occasionally, Derevko could prove to be surprisingly educated. "I'm not saying you've not got a serial. I'm saying someone's muddying their MO. Ancient Egyptian religion had a lot of symbolism, but the poppy's not one of them. Lotus flower, or even something like cumin, or corriander..." He paused.

"Most serials bother to get it right. They tend to care about details. The poppy matters because it was private. The organ removal and the filleting matters because it's part of the signature. The urns... they stick out a bit. Only problem is? You've not got enough to submit this and get a Task Force going. We're overstretched as it is. Captain Winder's about a Goddamn week from retirement, so he's not gonna be able to sign off on it, and the new guy..." Derevko trailed off. "I'll be fucking honest with you. He's gonna take one look at you and go 'Yeah, okay, darlin' go make me a coffee', and he hates my guts."

Um, what?? Apparently my reputation for solving the cases the fucking department couldn’t figure out went without notice. “Lieutenant, with all due respect, this isn’t my first rodeo.” Daysha said plainly, and without raising her voice. Or having a girl moment for that matter. “I'm trying to piece together the connections on these other cases which seemed to have slipped through the cracks.” Which was pretty much the norm around the precinct and she hated that. So did her dad. She also hated that Winder’s was leaving. He at least listened to her and didn’t throw her into her father’s shadow.

“I didn’t ask for a Task Force, I wanted some direction with this case since my own Lieutenant is out and my partner is on medical leave.” Which Daysha could totally empathize with. She started closing the folders, obviously getting no help here. “So, what do you propose I do?” She said without a hint of emotion, but raised eyebrows waiting for an answer. It didn’t surprise her that the new Captain didn’t like Derevko. It was pretty clear from any onlookers that he was an asshole. Yet, he was good at what he did. Surprisingly.

Daysha’s head turned to the side in a slight twitch as her eyes narrowed. “And, well I'm no one’s coffee bitch.” She had a reputation for being a bit blunt. Oh hell, she was a bitch, but not someone's gopher.

"Apparently I'm being too fucking subtle for you. If you want to figure this out, you'll have to go off-books," Derevko said irritably. Fuck, couldn't Jackson take a hint? Apparently not. Maybe the precinct's whiz kid wasn't as fucking smart as she thought. "No one up the ladder is going to think that you're doing anything except stirring shit, reputation or not, because no one wants to be involved with a fucking serial killer, particularly not one that they missed previously." His thumb moved irritably across the patch on his cheek. Fuck, he needed a drink. Red spots spread through, vicious against the white gauze.

"You don't have a profile. Junk at a scene is interesting, but they won't buy it, because they won't want to buy it. And if you go press, IA'll kick your kidneys into next week. You need a profile on the vics- why he's picking them, what they have in common, even if it's just... I dunno, that they were wearing red shoes. Other thing though? Have you run the ceramics through hobby websites yet?" the Lieutenant could feel one of the mind-numbing, black headaches he sometimes got whirring at the edge of his senses. They'd been coming more frequently lately. Shit.

"Stuff like that is custom. Potters mark their stuff."

“FYI, I’ve already started to do that. Thanks for underestimating me.” Prick. Daysha had clearly had it with being talked to like she was an idiot. Does it look like I'm stupid enough to go to the press. Which was an obvious look on her face.

“It’s not just junk at a scene. I don’t even know how you can think that. This has nearly the same types of evidence as a couple of those cases Lieutenant Jackson and Captain Winder found eight years ago.” Although she realized she probably shouldn’t have mentioned her dad. This wasn’t a Bush Jr. trying to finish up Bush Sr.’s unfinished business. “The only thing different is the poppies.”

“Yeah, all but one of the potter’s marks are the same. I’ve also traced it to three funeral homes that use them. Harry A. Nauman & Son, Morgan-Jones and George L. Klumpp. The thing with Klumpp; they are also a floral shop. There’s actually a lot of stuff adding up to this guy but he’s on the list.” Which Derevko would clearly know what she meant. There were some people in town protected by the commissioner and other officials that the department was instructed to keep out of their business. “So, now you know why I’ve had to tread lightly with this shit.” She had leaned back after collecting the folders together, but they were still sitting on his desk. It went without saying that she had suspects, she just had some untouchable, and possible psycho, to deal with.

Argh, for fuck's sake, woman, can't you hear what I'm not saying? You're supposed to be fucking smart! Derevko blew a breath through his teeth and seriously contemplated punching the desk. Then Jackson mentioned the list, and he rolled his eyes in exasperation. You try and warn someone off ruining their career over something we can't touch and she already knows. Well, Hell.

"Yeah, funny thing about that. This isn't the first time I've seen these files. Winder showed me 'em. Suddenly he's retiring. Weirdly, before that, some young guy... don't remember his name, just one of those damn wizards with computers... showed Winder 'em and... suddenly he's retired on medical, something about mental instability,"
    Derevko said quietly. "See what I'm subtly hinting at?" Unlike the past ten minutes. "You look into this and your career is dead. Unless there's a public pressure to get this guy, you show this to anyone... you're going to be the Former-Detective Jackson." The scarred Lieutenant stood up irritably. His expression twisted. It sickened him.

"'Course, I could sign you off on it. Make 'em think I made you. Might buy you enough time."

Daysha got what he was saying. Albeit unsettling that her own fucking department was covering up a monster. Damn the fucking politicians. Those who were entrusted to keep the city safe also fell prey to their own sick and twisted devices.

Her hands flew up in a half surrender gesture. “Fine, fuck it.” Daysha stood up and put the files inside of her briefcase. “Till the press says something, I’m done with this shit.” But everything about her voice said otherwise. No, I’ll be checking into this on my own time.I’ll shred my notes and whatever.” More like keep it all at home so IA doesn’t find it. “Lord knows we wouldn’t want to tank our careers on something like this.” Cause god knows justice had a price to pay. Her voice had just enough sarcasm that hopefully Derevko would pick it up, but to any passerby it would sound serious.

Derevko shrugged wearily as he watched Jackson heaving the files back into her briefcase. There was a time when he'd have been raging at this, but then, there'd been a time when he'd been a married man with two kids, too. Things changed. He didn't have the energy to be angry about injustice when it ran through the city like fire. If he got angry about it, he'd never stop until he'd picked up a gun and meted some out.

And he wasn't crazy enough to climb the clocktower yet.

"Think you missed one," he said, picking up a folder off his desk that Jackson clearly hadn't missed. He held it out to her, with a business card visible on top of it. "I know it's not fucking worth much, but I'm sorry I can't help you."

I can't help you because if I did, it wouldn't matter what the fuck you did. They'd drum you out of here for hanging around crazy ol' fucking Derevko.

Daysha remembered dad telling her of instances like this. She also remembered that some lieutenants were clearly more self serving than others. Till she saw the business card that Derevko left on the file. She looked at it, looked at Derevko in the eyes acknowledging it quickly before chucking it all in her case. Yeah well, this meeting wasn't worth much. I thought you were the go to guy for backdoor information. Clearly the backdoor part meant something else.

"Yeah well, slaving my ass off around here for shit that goes no where seems to be the MO. But hey, at least I have a job." Daysha rolled her eyes, considering that was pretty much the schpiel from the city commissioner a few months back. Damn recession. "So... since this one is off my plate. Anything else I need to check into?" Glancing around his desk at the stacks of files. "Since it looks like you need some help catching up?" She wasn't trying to be sarcastic, but since she'd have 'free' time she may as well offer. And since Aaron was with her parents and brother on a month long excursion, she'd rather be buried in work than go home to a quiet house. Man, hurry up and give me something so I can get the fuck out of your office.

Some of Derevko's reputation was actually undeserved. Including the part where he was bent. It was a funny thing, but he'd never actually break the rules. That would have made him a bad cop, and he could never quite bring himself to crossing that line. Sure, he'd end up in a fight, but it would be a fight someone else started. Those were the rules. Same for information brokerage. Only complete scum would have lowered themselves to that level, and he wasn't in the gutter yet.

"It's mostly just background," the Lieutenant said in a dry tone. His blue eyes flickered over the stack of folders. "I'd take an early night. Go get a drink or something."

The business card belonged to an informant of Derevko's. He was, amongst other things, a notorious gossip and blogger, so how exactly he managed to charm so much information out of people was impressive. Not that Derevko would advocate breaking the case through a back door or anything.

He wouldn't break the rules. Unless someone else started it.

Fuck me for trying to be helpful. "Yeah, pass on the drink. I'd rather not join AA in the next five years." Daysha said dryly. It wasn't directed at Derevko, but it seemed like more and more cops were having substance abuse problems. She gathered up her briefcase and scanned his desk for any files she may have left. Thinking about when to call the person on the business card. Probably tomorrow. "Thanks for your help Lieutenant." Well, it was a half truth. She gave him a respectful nod and walked out of his office.

As she walked down the hall to her desk, she rolled her eyes at Derevko when out of sight. Clearly she'd also have to ask dad about the case, even though it was not what she wanted to do. Relying on her father in regards to her job was something she never did, unless she had no other choice. It appeared to be one of those times. It was coffee at the diner with dad this weekend. Hopefully he wasn't planning on fishing.

Derevko grimaced, and remembered his old Captain as he watched Jackson leave. Whether or not she followed it up, it'd come out eventually - and he wished he wasn't the precinct's black sheep, so he could have been on the front lines with her. But the days when that sort of stuff had a shot at working belonged to a man who hadn't had his face sewn crudely back together, a man with a wife and two kids.

Good luck, kid.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Play Me

Daysha had spent a lot of time lately with her dad. Her mom… she really didn’t have anything in common with. And well, she was kind of evil. Well, in Daysha’s eyes she was.

But unlike Doug, Daysha ran away from the mushy stuff. She wasn’t an emotional woman. She didn’t cry to get her way, and she loathed it when women turned on the tears to fellow officers to get out of a ticket. Manipulative bitches.

So one evening, after Sunday dinner at Daysha’s house, Doug let her drive the Camero when they went for a drive. They’d been talking about stuff she’d encountered lately and about Darrin and Aaron, her mother never came up. But then the conversation took a turn she wasn’t expecting.

Doug glanced over to his daughter while they drove. He knew she was an excellent driver so it didn’t stop what he was about to say. “Daysha, you know I’m proud of you right?”

The brow on the detective raised and she shook it off. “Yeah, dad, you tell me all the time.”

He made a noise, one that meant something else was on his mind. “Hmmm, I don’t think you entirely understand sweety.”

On the wheel, her hands lifted in a continue motion. “Okay…”

“One thing I didn’t tell you. I never wanted you to go to the academy.” He paused looking at his daughter’s reaction.

Daysha’s head jerked back and her face was bewildered, even from the side Doug could see. But she didn’t say anything. Inside, she was in awe of this revelation.

“The day you came home and were gushing about your acceptance into the Academy…ya know, the one you applied for behind our backs.” He raised a thick brow in Daysha’s direction. “Part of me was proud, the other part wanted to stop you.”

“Why the hell would you stop me? Isn’t that what you wanted? Someone to follow in your foosteps?” She asked quickly.

“Like hell I wanted you to follow in my footsteps. More so now than before you found out about the other stuff that we deal with.” Doug knew he didn’t have to explain more on the Vigil than that.

“So you’ve been lying to me for over 15 years?” Daysha snapped.

“Yes.” He quickly corrected himself. “No.” Doug shook his head. “I shouldn’t have opened my mouth.”

“Well, it’s too late now.” Daysha spit, she was obviously pissed. Her father, who she trusted with everything just admitted he lied to her for years.

“Daysha.” Doug said calmly. “Do you think I liked the fact that I had to leave you and your brother alone for nights on end sometimes. Not knowing if I’d come back?” He didn’t wait for an answer. “I didn’t. But I did it so people would be safe. So my family would be safe.” He shook his head and closed his eyes. “I didn’t want that for you.” His eyes began to well up and he looked away.

When a father cries, you can’t help but cry with them. Daysha’s eyes also began to tear up. She remembered all those nights that she sat up in the chair waiting for dad to come through the door. But it wasn't her mom that came to take her to bed, it was Darrin. She remembered sleeping on the floor in Darrin's room after crying cause Debbie didn't understand her. Over time, she realized that her mother was probably just upset and frustrated that her dad was gone too. But they'd never talk about this. That wasn't how her mom was. She remembers sneaking her favorite blue bunny in the squad car every time Doug left on long trips. And how when she woke in the morning and it was by her side she knew he was home once again. She still had the bunny...

“Dad...” Daysha pulled over on the county road. She couldn’t talk and drive like this. “It’s okay Dad. Maybe it was fate or god who showed me this.” Maybe she would ask someone some day. “But here I am, figuring it out bit by bit.”

Daysha leaned over and hugged her dad tightly. “But there’s one thing I have that you didn’t.” She squeezed him a little tighter. “I have a dad who knows what I’m going through.”

Men come and go, but a father is irreplaceable.

D
    Daysha Jackson

After talking to the Old Man and getting completely road blocked, Daysha really wondered what the fuck was going on with Derevko. Yeah, she was a bit worried…well maybe more than she should have been, which was puzzling. Part of her wanted to keep him away from some of the shit she’d seen. Then again, he’d been on the force far longer than she had and there was a lot of shit that Agent J Derevko saw that she hadn’t yet.

When she drove home after the Spiral that evening, the Detective really didn’t know what any of it meant. She wasn’t really green to the scene now, but still there was so much she hadn’t encountered. While at the Spiral, Daysha had to hold herself from throwing out ideas that only another one holding the candle for would understand.

Wait, what the fuck am I reading?? I just SAW him last night? This has got to be the wrong guy.... DHS ....Geo... Agent... Jonathan Semyon...yup, it's him. No one else spells that name all fucked up.

Blood?!?!
    But while Daysha read the paper, and spit her coffee she wondered if she had made a grave mistake not mentioning anything to Jonathan.

After a night from hell with Derevko, the park and all the other shit that went on Daysha flipped the card round and round in her fingers. It was the following evening and after another long day on the real job, she was debating on calling at all. But time was not something that was afforded while following the Vigil. She took a sip of coffee from her mug and then dialed the number of the medic from the card she gave him.

As the phone rang, she thought back to the mess with and began to read through the paper.

She spit her coffee out when she read one of the headlines in the Sacramento Bee. Barely composing herself while the phone rang she re-read the article. "Oh holy shit." The words eeked out of her mouth.
    Fuck! I knew I should have said something. Persued whatever it was harder. God what if those fuckers we saw in the park were kidnappers.

Wait... why am I even caring this much? I doubt he'd give more than a half a shit if something happened to me. Ugh this is Derevko we're talking about.

Then again... he was a cop too. No matter what the bullshit, it's still a family of blues.

The phone was answered relatively quickly, and there was a pause before a vaguely bemused voice answered.

"Excuse me...?"

The speaker, identifiable by his voice as the paramedic, was probably frowning in confusion somewhere.
    God I wonder if this medic has anything to do with this? What if he did? He was there earlier that night. What if he fucking planned this shit?

Mother fucker I hope someone or something didn't follow me home too.

"Oh god, sorry." Daysha having been caught off guard. "It's Daysha Jackson, you gave me your card the other night." It was clear she was a little distracted, if not still reading over the newspaper article.

"Just read something in the paper that kinda caught me by surprise." More like worried the shit out of her about a former fellow officer...and if you could count Derevko as a frien.... ok firm acquaintance yeah she was really freaking.
    I probably shouldn't have said anything. Damn it I should have pretended I spilled something or some shit. What if he DOES have something to do with this.

What if I'm next??

"Detective Jackson," the paramedic answered, and sounded wearier than the last time they had spoken. Not too surprising, considering what had occurred the last week or so, either. "I'm glad you decided to call." He had, of course, been made aware of the internet conversation already.

In the background, there is a rustle of paper from his end too.

"Which article?" he asked curiously. There was so much of potential interest in the SacBee recently, it was difficult to keep track at times.
    Should I tell him the article I was reading? I could just make up something about the stalker thing... no not really omfg worthy. Or the smell thing... no why would I care about some stupid smell.

I HATE THIS SHIT!!!! Hate not knowing, hate this wondering, hate these fucking piles of shit that ruin everyone's life under some veil that no one sees.

"Ooooohh the one that says 'Missing man named as DHS Geo Agent'." Daysha responded as she said in tone that sounded like she was still in shock. "I was just..." She was about to say something else but stopped herself.

"Anyway, you're glad I called?" The detective was slightly amused or confused whichever, and continued. "So, what can I do for you?" She quickly added. "Unless we need to have a conversation in person." In an obscure location somewhere that prying ears don't hear.... was what she really wanted to add but the implication was there.
    Thank god for bluetooth. Daysha sent a text to her dad while on the phone with the medic.

Something's getting heavy. Details obscure and vague right now. Aaron is at Darrin's tonight.

Did I just ask to meet someone who acted all suspicious? Shit I can't even call for backup. What the fuck are they gonna say 'Jackson, really, put your big girl panties on and investigate your shit like a grown up.' Cause I've heard that shit before... yeah right before I got knifed when just doing a routine questioning.

And where is God in all of this? Yeah, Derevko was an asshole, but is this some kind of lesson? Did he piss the wrong people off?

Did the Vampire that nearly got Aaron think he could get to her through.... Derevko? Doubtful.

The detective began to wonder how deep this hole was getting while she waited for the Medic's reply.

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.