Ended
Watch

Scientific Method of Meetings

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    R
    Rebecca Simmons

"That started with my Sire," she said with a sly smile. "I had already begun working with pharmaceuticals and he suggested that if I wanted to truly gain a monopoly on supply I would need to control both the legal and illegal sides of drugs." She also enjoyed the freedom that came with not being under the FDA.

"That is quite true. History repeats and patterns are the way to predict what will be beneficial in the future. But this feels more like an intellectual observation then a belief. Where does the Crone fall in the idea of patterns and cyclical nature of history? I must admit I don't know much about your beliefs."

T
    Thomas Boyle

"I suppose that's fair" Thomas didn't have a problem with crime, not until it came back at you in the form of SWAT teams and hunters. But Rebecca seemed to have a handle on her business.

"The first caveat I want to make is that I am not what you'd call a 'typical' Acolyte" He says without elaborating, his tone placid "The second thing to point out is there are no holy texts universal to all our members, so the particulars can vary even within one city, never mind one country or continent. However..." There's a 'however' to every answer, isn't there?

The Ventrue clears throat.

"... however, the Circle has been around since millenia, although not always recognized by that name. We have seen the rise and fall of Carthage, Rome, Constantinople... empires are organic things, they form, advance, wither and die, just like everything else, and Kindred empires are no different. All in Creation is a part of the natural order, and the natural order cannot function if the old doesn't submit to the new. To further build up that fact" As far as Thomas is concerned, what the Circle teaches is not a matter of belief but philosophical observations of reality "the figure of a woman is a central pillar of our teachings, both in concrete stories - to wit, the myth of Demeter - and in the abstract. Think about it - the female figure is about vitality and progress when she is young, stability and power when she is a matron of her family and the ultimate tribulation of death, when she fulfills her role and must give way to her offspring. Then her children take on the mantle and the cycle goes on"

A dramatic pause is made.

"Eventually, however, entropy conquers all"

R
    Rebecca Simmons

"Interesting," Rebecca said, leaning to the side in her chair. "So there are different disciplines, or factions, within the Crone. That would, of course, make sense if there are not universal texts for people to rely on. Are the teachings a mixture of oral teachings and partial texts?" She found it all quite fascinating.

"Cycles. Is that what the 'Circle' in 'Circle of the Crone' relates to? This repeating pattern of matriarchy you're referring to?" She vaguely recalled mention of a 'goddess' before. It must have had something to do with this.

I'm so sorry for bringing up the occult and then dragging this out. I sincerely apologize for my delays.

T
    Thomas Boyle

"Yes, there are different... factions, you could say. They don't, however, compete for supremacy over the entire Covenant - that'd be impossible. Much like the individual groups within the Invictus, they devote themselves to a certain way of fulfilling the Crone's ideas, without concerns for holy tug-of-war" He says "Some of these groups do have foundational texts, like the Book of Night or The Descent of Inanna into the Underworld. There are some scriptures of practical use, like ritual descriptions or chronicled discussions. In the realm of philosophy, however, oral tradition reigns supreme" Thomas smiles, it seems he's caught the attention of his Priscus.

"Arguably, our method is better. Not just because the less physical evidence we leave around, the less there is for our enemies to work with. Consider this: it takes ages for a spoken tale to meaningfully mutate, whereas to falsify a text, a skilled forger needs only a few scratches of pen. This only got worse with the printing press and the Internet: publish an anti-Semitic libel or a story about Hillary Clinton eating babies and all of a sudden everyone believes it because there it is, written" Obviously, Mrs. Clinton did none of the things she's accused of. The ones behind the scenes, undead monsters playing politics like a game of chess, however...

"Yes, that. Or, that too. We are a Circle, because we are naturally inclusive, with no tradition reigning over the other. We are a Circle, because we recognize the eternal cycle of creation and destruction, and know ourselves to be a part of it. Finally, we are the Circle because we strive to evoke the personal potential in ourselves and others" Truly, the way of the Circle was always to hide infinitely complex meanings within simple symbolism and stories. So far, it's worked perfectly.

It's alright! Thomas is having lots of fun - however, we probably should start wrapping up, the month mark is almost there!

R
    Rebecca Simmons

Rebecca nodded her head along as the man spoke. It all made sense. Familiar to the Invictus in ways, and yet different all the same. "You're very knowledgeable. Are you a historian of sorts, or do all members of the Crone keep up with the covenants history like you do?"

As he continued to speak she noticed what the time had become. "I would love to discuss more about the differences in oral and written tradition and their effect on stories. I find the topic quite fascinating, but I believe the evening is drawing to a close. Thank you so much for coming so that we could clear the air between us," she said with a smile.

I agree we should probably wrap up. Thank you for the scene. Sorry again for all my delays.

T
    Thomas Boyle

"I spent all of my Requiem and most of my life chasing down secrets, stories and legends. Not all care to know them, but I do - if only to say with conviction, that there is always more to learn"

But all good things must come to an end, mustn't they?

"Until next we meet, Priscus. It's been a pleasure" He says and, standing, gives the woman a half-bow.

Later, when resting alone at the Temple, Thomas smiles. Then chuckles. Then laughs.

Great scene!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.