THREADID
DISPLAYED
Something Wicked
Jun 2, 2022 - Jun 17, 2022
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

It a Spring afternoon and Corn waits a few steps inside the entrance of the Circle of Creation for 'Lanny' to arrive. Corn is dressed in a long black coat and somber colors and sips lukewarm coffee from a Styrofoam cup. He doesn't know what to expect, aside of the fact that Crystal confirmed he has given Corn's contact information to a new mage.
    Rails Endymion

I have not heard much from the player of Crystal, so I will assume that Corn knows nearly nothing about Rails.
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

2. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    grotesque (after the gramme)
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Active Spells: 2/5
    Personal Spells: 2/3

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

Rails stakes out the coordinates provided by Corn for a little while. He's posted up across the street from what he assumes is 'The Place' Corn talked about on the phone.

Crystal hadn't mentioned it. He certainly hadn't mentioned it looking like fucking Westminster Abbey or whatever.

Rails is wearing an oversized black sweat shirt and black jeans. Some ratty, black Air Force Ones. Loitering; smoking. No one seems to notice him though. Just like no one seems to notice Epcot England across the way.

That's really what convinces him: the Sleepers just breeze right by the monolithic building. No one's taking selfies in front of it. No one is dragging their snot-nosed eight year old inside for a tour. No reaction. In that sense, he feels a certain kinship with the structure. And an appreciation for the tradecraft.

Finally, he decides to make his approach. Grinds out his cigarette and pockets the butt. Crosses the street.

Almost stumbles over the dude when he makes his entrance. "Oh shit..." Recovering quickly. "Hey... You must be Corn." Taps himself on the chest. "Rails. Thanks for meeting me." He's a low talker to begin with, but finds himself almost whispering. Feels like fucking church in here...

Sounds about right!

4. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

"Greetings, welcome to Sacramento! I am Corn, Moros, Mystagogue, Master of Matter, working in a bookstore and head of the Mysterium order in Sacramento. Pleased to meet you Rails. I have not heard much about you. " Corn says with a smile moving inner to the smaller twin of Westminster Abbey. The smell of tobacco reaches him. Smoker... he thinks but doesn't comment on the life choices of the other mage.
    "I don't know either your order or your Path. Although for Crystal to send you here ... oh, in case the Councilor forgot to mention, it is very safe to speak here. The place is sealed. Held up when the Seers were big around town a couple of years ago, or so I am told. Before my time.
    Anyway... as I was saying, for you to reach Crystal first, you are probably a Mastigos. For Crystal to suggest you meet with me, perhaps you are interested in the Mysterium or you perhaps you have a question or five. I like answering questions.
    "

Corn realized he hasn't let the other man put in more than a handful of words and he paused. "Some people, including Phoenyx , the head arrow and obrimos councilor, think I talk too much. I don't overwhelm you, do I?
    So... what would you need, Rails?
    " Corn said taking a sip from his coffee, not aware that he was the one that could use Rails' help.

6. Likes Aeolus, Endymion liked this post
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

Rails just kind of...listens as Corn proceeds to lay out the whole damn conversation up front.

It'd be annoying (well more annoying) if Rails didn't actually appreciate the forthrightness for two, distinct reasons: 1) The more information the better. Freely offered, freely taken. Filed away. 2) It gets all of the little details out of the way in one, fell swoop. Efficient.

"Nice to meet you," he says simply. If he's impressed by the credentials it doesn't show. Tact or disinterest? Hard to say.

The Mastigos follows his new acquaintance into the space. Glancing around casually, but clearly curious. There's a lot to take in.

"You're right on the Warlock front. Not looking to be recruited though," he says with a dry chuckle. "I'm already accounted for."

Is Rails overwhelmed? Fuck yes. "Not at all," he lies. "We're good."

Lying, 3 successes

"Here's the thing," he says, looking maybe a touch sheepish. "When I met with Crystal to make my introductions, being new around town and all, I asked him this question. I like to try it out when I land in a new spot. I asked him who in our 'community' he would recommend I speak to next."

Gives Corn an appraising look. "He suggested you." A pause as he glances up at the ceiling. This place is something else.

"Now that could be because you're the head of his order. Or maybe he had something else in mind. Hard to say, just met the guy. But here I am." It's got to mean something, say something about Crystal, and one reason for this meeting is to figure out why his fellow Warlock might point him in this direction.

A calculating glance at the Moros, "What do you think? Why'd he give me your number?"

8. Likes Aeolus, liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

Ahh, a guy that really and honestly doesn't mind if I talk a bit more than usual. Corn said impressed. Then came the question and Corn seemed... glad about it.
    "Ah, the councilor's trust honors me. I hope it is because he knows I am friendly and helpful. Which happens to be true. I can show you around, tell you a bit about the history of this place." he said about the Circle, "or we can talk about the city as I am here for over a year, and in Sacramento, that makes me a member of the old guard. Not too old guard, the very old timers that were around during the Seer confontation and the Time wars are at the time, Winter , Obrimos, Guardian, Aurora , Thyrsus, Mystagogue and Phoenyx , Obrimos, Arrow.
    Phoenyx actually lives in here, in the Circle of Creation. She may show up. She does so sometimes when I make too much noise. Do you want a tour?
    "

If Rails asked for the tour, Corn would explain him the various order places of the huge building but won't mention the Athenaum nor take Rails into the reserved parts of any Order; the tour stops at the doors.
    "All this space, and we are less than a dozen Pentacle mages in the City at any given time. We have a couple of apostates that join the consilia and at least one apostate out of the consilium that doesn't cause much trouble. And then, we have a guy that caused trouble for the Mysterium while mouthing how 'our kind' has to be cleansed and made some threats. We failed to capture him. He is at large. So, keep your head down. I suspect he is a Banisher, but I am not sure.
    To be honest, neither the Guardians nor the Arrows have done much with the information we gave them - or the sympathetic connections. We got that mage's dedicated tool.
    "

A lightbulb seemed to go off in Corn's head. "Hey, what order are you again? Also, as a Mastigos, could you perhaps track that guy using the dedicated tool for sympathy connection? We have another Mastigos, Belle that has his tool and could scry on him. So... you could perhaps give her a hand locating him. If you're not a Mystagogue, you are one of the other orders. Arrow or Guardian, that guy threatened me, personally and messed with the business of pentacle mages. Silver Ladder or Free Council, he was mouthing off about a Higher Power sending him to us. He could be a wacko... or he could be a wacko Seer. The Libertines hate the Seers and the Silver Ladder is their main competition, ideologically. And frankly, Seers and Banishers hate us so you too, you would be helping yourself too.
    I am not asking you to risk your neck for mages you haven't even met. I am asking just whether you would be willing to help us track that guy. Make sure he is not following me or tracking me, although Belle broke any sympathetic connection I had with that guy and he used mostly death and matter in our encounter.
    What do you say?
    "

Corn said with his most winning smile. That smile was not too winning, but wasn't bad either.
    1 success

Don't feel obliged to make long posts just because I do.

10. Likes Aeolus, BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

Rails isn't sure that Mr. Helpful's read on Crystal's intentions is accurate. In fact, somewhere between Corn's run-down of the 'old guard' and his offer for a tour, the Mastigos decides his Councilor has set a very educational trap for the new Warlock in town.

Still, Rails can't fault Crys. It'd been a good move, one he resolves to accept and play out. As a Guardian, Rails is not unfamiliar with the pairing of knowledge and suffering.

"Tour sounds good," he replies. Letting the Mystagogue run out the line as they amble through the structure. Keen eyes take in the details.

Perception, 1 success

And note that there are areas Corn is avoiding. Of course, that only makes the Warlock more curious. Even if he can appreciate the caution on display.

He's about to ask a question going toward that avoidance when the topic turns to Banishers. Rails figures it's the same guy he'd discussed with Winter. He becomes obviously interested when Corn mentions they have the asshole's tool.

"Winter mentioned him," Rails says. "We're on it. Can't speak for the Arrow, though." That should be enough to suss out his affiliations. "Didn't know we had his tool." And Belle's got it to boot. "I need to hook up with Belle anyway." Path-mates and all. And now they share a fun, little project!

"Too messy to be Seer. Too obvious, you want my opinion," and maybe he doesn't. But still. In any event, Corn will hear the venom in Rails' voice when he mentions those assholes.

Resist Persuasion, 6 successes

Corn's pitch is...received. Dissected while it's delivered. Rails is not convinced. And comes away with a few notes for improving Corn's soft-coercion skills. Not that he'll share them. Today at least.

Luckily, he did not need to be persuaded to begin with. Sticking out his neck in the service of the greater good? How's that old song go? Oh, right: Sins for a just end grant wisdom to the Awakened.

"I'm in," he replies. Committed. "I know Winter's already working on background. We're supposed to connect on this soon anyway. Got plans to meet with Belle and Crystal too. That should close the loop."

A pause.

"You have any reason to believe he's got a bead on you?" Rails resists the urge to glance around the room. Paranoia comes easy.

No worries! Long-posting is fun.

12. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

So the new guy has a beef with the Seers... Well, many people here do. And he has experience fighting against Seers - or interacting with them at least.
    "We should discuss how to recognize Seers or Seer influence in the near future, then. I work in a University part time, and I was told Seers often recruit there or have bases of power there. We don't know of any remaining Seer influence in Sacramento... but the capital of a state of that size will draw Seers again and again. Thus, they are probably here, somewhere and we don't know. " Rails mention that Winter is working on the issue in the background got him by surprise.
    "Oh, is he? Honestly, I thought he wasn't doing much on that front, concentrating on another apostate that was - and is - a bit too magic-friendly around sleepers. As for Belle , she's a very nice gal. I will shoot her a message to see if she's available. "

A minute and a text to Belle sent, Corn returned to the issue at hand.
    "Yes, I have reasons to suspect he's got sympathetic connections to me." Corn said not fighting the urge and actually looking around and behind his back.
    "He showed up while we were doing some field-work for the Order. Got all high and mighty. Not knowing if he's actually a Banisher or a mage that got a bad bedlam - he used vulgar magic quite liberally - we didn't kill him but left him sleeping. Belle destroyed our sympathetic connections with that guy after taking his tool and some of his hair and most mystagogues left. I stayed behind, watching the place from my car, waiting for Phoenyx or Winter to arrive - but traffic. And while I was looking at the place, I heard his voice as if he was standing next to me telling me that he is "His" tool and that we cannot contain him and other crap.
    I won't play the macho hero here, I was scared. I was nearly tapped out of Mana, I didn't know where the hell he was, paradox was becoming an issue and my defenses while still there were about to run out.
    But, he was in quite worse shape that me as he was using vulgar after vulgar spell previously and he has got a few hits. A couple from us more from the Abyss. So, he didn't pick a fight and left before I could figure where he was. I didn't feel his magic up to the point he suddenly spoke to me.

Considering that he is not aware who put him to sleep - It was Aurora - and that I was the one that was holding the light and that I entombed him the floor with only his mouth out so he won't suffocate - till he magic-blasted the floor enough to break away, I believe he may have greater issue than me and he may have found something that I missed back there, giving him Sympathy to me, even weak.
    "

14. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

“Point is, it’s hard to recognize,” Rails replies. Corn is right, though. If the Seers aren’t apparent, it’s probably because they’re busy at work.

Shrugs. Not surprising that Winter isn’t telegraphing his areas of focus. “Yeah… He mentioned that issue too.” On balance, though: there are two Mages flaunting vulgar magic in town. Only one of them is actively threatening members of the Consilium.

Corn moves right on to texting Belle. Rails isn’t sure how he feels about that. Prefers to more carefully manage his encounters. “Ok…cool.” Keeping a neutral expression.

Then comes another flood of information. Rails struggles to catalogue the details. Keep hold of all the threads.

Maybe he’s having a hard time because what he’s really focusing on is Corn himself. The manner in which he holds forth. The way he introduced himself earlier (Master of Matter that he is). The assumption that this hack (because that's what all Banishers are in the end) has fixated on him in particular. And therefore his own fixation on the situation in turn. Definite possibility that the Mystagogue has a touch of the ol' main-character syndrome. Not that unusual in a Will-Worker, tbh.

You a megalomaniac, my dude? Failure

Hard to tell what his deal is.

Still, it colors Rails' analysis of the information presented. Counsels caution.

The voice-at-a-distance bit screams some level of proficiency with Mind. Rails' own area of primary focus. An interesting wrinkle. "He does sound like a tool," the Warlock deadpans.

"Want my thoughts? We take it slow. Scry him out. Watch him. Learn about him. Before we make any moves." A pause. "It sounds like you're ready to saddle up today, but..." another shrug. "It's possible he's got nothing to make you reachable. And he knows we have ways to get at him, what you took from him. That should make him think twice about lashing out. Mutual deterrence and all that shit."

16. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

Corn, unaware he's sounding as a megalomaniac with main-character syndrome, nods. "We are in agreement about the scrying, and I didn't want to overwhelm you. I just... would feel safer without a mage, banisher or not, NOT trying to cleanse the world from me, you know. Winter suggested, and I agree, that we first make sure that guy is the threat he appears to be. If Belle shows up, you can get her testament of what happened and perhaps work together to scry this man.
    He may have fled, or he may be laying low, but if that confidence in his powers and the powers of that 'higher power' he serves is not the result of a pretty bad bedlam, I think he considers himself far more invulnerable than he is.
    But perhaps a change of subject is required here. Anything else you would like me to tell you or share, Rails ?
    " Corn said.

18. Likes Aeolus, Endymion liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    *Incognito Presence (1 suxx)
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health
    Mana: 9/9
    WP: 2/3

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

Defense: 2 (Wits/Dex)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

OCC
    PRE

Corn’s text had caught Belle at an opportune moment: she was approaching the Circle to do some follow-up checks in the Athaeneum. Her brow furrows a bit, wondering if something was up.

Striding with purpose into the Circle, Belle sees a new face in conversation with Corn. She flashes a sincere but quick smile “Hi, name’s Belle. Pleased to meet you. What’s up Corn? Everything alright?”
    Artifact

20. Likes Aeolus, Endymion, liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread