Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Ghosts of the Past

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque watched as Conner read the letter and pockets it, "Fortunately for you, when Her Grace read about the near breach by one of the Lancea agents she did not inquire any further on the matter. She only expressed her displeasure. I chose not to memorialize that falter to your name and instead wished to praise your willingness to follow instruction in service to the Domain. I know it is a hard line to walk sometimes and I hope you realize that my request for you to leave was so that you wouldn't have to come to a harder choice later that night." The Lord paused a few beats to allow Conner to digest the message, "Where I may have spared you the displeasure of Her Grace, we still must address the near breach between us. For the same term as your access to the Rack, you are to remain blushed with life at every moment of your evenings. In public, in private, in Court or in your private haven alone... Not a single moment without counterfeiting life." Another pause was offered to field questions about his terms.

The perception of bad blood was understandable, but Jacque knew the context and the discussions that occurred afterwards. "It is unlikely to happen, but should there ever be a future Regent named for Florin or any other portion of the Domain for that matter- the Prince has made it known to me that she will ensure they will not be permitted to gatekeep access to Covenant facilities that may fall under their regency." The Lord's arm gently extended in a gesture towards Conner, "I think that intent shows that the Prince does not hold ill-feelings towards the Lancea or San Francisco."

"A vast majority who did left with her," he spoke as he lightly shrugged. He pondered Conner's question. It was a simple one, but very complicated for the Lord to explain. "I had originally arrived in Sacramento unaligned with high interest to join the Dragons. My understanding was that they were a society of scholars of sorts and I wished to understand more of their work and how I might contribute in my Requiem."

"Moretti's following within the Ordo were almost entirely savages. I quietly observed the moments and interactions of Court as her spectacles became more and more habitual. I found that in tandem with her making a stance against someone or something, this group would start posturing for support from various leaders. It was honestly quite impressive with how effectively they worked in sync with each other, and there weren't many that willing to take a stand against the collective group for fear of the political consequences. The Invictus was neutral in the matters and the Crone quietly stood with her as the Hierophant was one of her deputies. The Carthians did not have a presence at the time. The Prince did not intervene as it involved other parties, until Lina started targeting Her Harpy." The Lord walked around the morgue, inspecting whatever rusted and corroded tools that might still be found as he continued, "After seeing the same movements from her crew at the sight of a new target for Lina's games, I was compelled to make a stand. I called out the hypocrisy of her actions, being a constant source of discord court after court when she could handle the matters between court officers in private."

"Needless to say, any chance of me joining vanished in that moment. It was a risk I was willing to take, since I had come to join scholars and free-thinkers. All that I had observed to that point was simply a hive mind."

Blood Hunt:

2. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

There's a look of surprise as Conner reads the letter. Quinn was right? How could he doubt her? "Reeve Durant has made me aware of your conditions, and I accept them wholeheartedly." There's no bitterness in his voice, only relief. "And I think I understand what you mean by 'making a harder choice'." ​He was talking about Covenant versus Domain. The possibility that the Lancea Sanctum's interests may conflict with Domain wellbeing. He'd indeed been worried of that in Arkwright.

Jacque's gesture is welcomed by a curious look from Conner, just gauging the man's body language was setting his predator's paranoia ablaze. But he'd given Conner no reason to fear now, so he trusts his better judgement. "I'm grateful for that. The Lancea has a tendency to be stubborn and hold on to fixed perceptions. Once word gets out that this place is active, perhaps that will change." He speaks hope to himself. And perhaps Jacque, if he could find hope in it.

Finding out 'younger' Jacque wanting to be a Dragon was almost ironic to Conner, considering how the Order had been systematically dismantled in the past few years.
    Dodged a bullet there, didn't you? The rest of the story fascinates Conner, as if he's hearing the story of someone else entirely and Jacque is simply the appointed storyteller. After Jacque concludes his tale, Conner pauses for a bit and mulls over his words some more. "So you saw Moretti's actions as detrimental to others and you took a stand. A crisis of conscience?" Did the Lord have some measure of honor back then? Now?

Conner continues on from here until they've returned to the Sanctuary, stopping at the guest book.
    "As head of the Lancea here, I may be expected to make choices for the Covenant in this Domain. Choices which may, while not infringing on the Domain's security, may be considered unpopular." He looks now to Jacque. "Choices which may put me in the crosshairs of very powerful people here. Understand I mean no disrespect, but I think based on your story you would understand if I was put in that position, wouldn't you?" There's a focus in his look and his questioning now; he's not just reading, he's expecting an answer. "My fear in Arkwright was that you would choose to honor your agreement to the Invictus in spite of the risk Pope represented if he was loosed into the night. If I am forced to choose between honor or conscience will you as a member of this Court respect that choice, even if you disagree with it?" This place has filled him with a little more courage tonight, though it may yet bite him.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord nodded. The message seemed to be understood and it was a good thing. Between all the preconceptions and assumptions, there was a method to Jacque's approaches- a reason. There was always a reason.

A soft chuckle, "I can see how that might hold true. Time will tell, of course."

"Hrm," the Lord considered the question of motive. "I saw the pattern and sought to disrupt it. Sometimes all it takes is a voice to say what many might be thinking. There was always the chance you can be left there holding the bag, but sometimes you might be surprised at the allies you gain through having a spine." Fingers gently flicked in the air as he recalled that bit of Sacramento's past, "It was far from easy to weather the storm that followed, but in the end I wound up on the right side of history."

Jacque's eyebrows lift as Conner provides a refreshing bit of honesty. It at the very least prudent for him to level set as a leader in the Domain. "I recognize that you may find yourself in a position to make difficult decisions, even if I spared you one. It would be dishonest of me to try and reassure you of a blanket understanding or acceptance of doing what you have to do as the local leader of your Covenant."

A twist of the wrist and shift of his stance, "History has shown me that Her Grace separates matters of the Domain and Covenant. As Prince, she places the security and stability of the Domain above all else. If your decisions keep that in mind first and foremost, then it would be rare for you to burden the Lancea with Her displeasure. In my story, I was not free from consequences. I was threatened by a pack of very unhappy gangrel, undermined consistently and had to endure constant attacks on my standing. I made my choices fully knowing that would happen. I put myself in the crosshairs of some very powerful Kindred." He shrugged, "I'm sure you'll have to endure some form of consequence from someone if you do the same. That's just the nature of the beast."

"As a Kindred, I will understand the gravity of the choices you'll have to make from time to time in your position..." The Lord paused for a few beats before adding, "As a member of this Court, I will respect decisions that promote the stability and security of the Domain." The Lord waited and gauged Conner's understanding and comfort with his response.

2 successes

Blood Hunt:

5. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

Jacque's rumbling chuckle both comforts and unnerves Conner in different parts of his being. It was almost an empathetic gesture. Were they...getting along. It's an act! There's no way he's being sincere. And yet here we are, and no mention of being on any strings. His casual mention of defying Moretti though...was he just obfuscating some deeper context? "It is said that history is written by the victors. All the more reason people like Moretti or Pope, who use their power for selfish or destructive purposes, shouldn't be given that chance." Conner throws his own two cents in, whether they would stick would be up to the audience.

Again, the Senechal's words seem to come from a place of honesty. Of frankness. He understands I have a job, and that he has a job, and that they both mean something. Cold. Calculating. Waiting for a screw up. Willing to let bygones be bygones. To respect success. ​Still, the reply was very heavy of specific verbiage. So Conner decides to return the favor. "Then we have a good foundation then to move forward." He extends a hand to Seneschal Jacque. "I appreciate your gesture here, Seneschal. I will make sure the Lancea do this Domain proud and maintain its borders and its soul equally." His expression becomes a little more relaxed. "I'll need some time to get this place suitable for re-use, but I'll likely be sending out invitations for my first sermon no later than end of April. I do hope you'll look forward to it." ​The first step on the long road to power.
    Conner doesn't attempt to hide his emotions. Jacque's Empathy roll reveals that Conner is cautiously relieved at Jacque's response.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord listened to the response, the agreement. The Shadow before him seemed completely different than when he first observed him in Court all those months ago. It was hard to tell the reason for the change in demeanor- whether it was the punishments endured or simply the departure of Maeve. Whatever the reason, he seemed better for it. Stronger, even.

Jacque reciprocated the gesture, accepting his hand and Conner's appreciation. "It will be good to see this place restored." The current room they found themselves in was not lost on Jack. The hand-off was complete and the walk-through was as thorough as he needed to be here for.

"I most certainly will," he responded in kind. He had wanted to make a point of being invited to the first Sermon, but Conner beat him to the punch. "If you find yourself with any other questions, feel free to call."

Seems like a good place to wrap. While we're here I wanted to make sure to post a link to the thread where the Moore House descriptions I used came from. I hope you enjoy the read as well.

Blood Hunt:

8. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner releases the handshake, feeling more at home than he has in months. Was this what it felt like to brush shoulders with power? To look at a place and say 'mine'? "I'll hold you to that, Seneschal." That and other things. "I imagine much of my time here will be learning about the history of this place. Both inside and out."

I'm game. Thanks again for the great Scene!

10. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

What a pleasant evening, the Lord thought to himself. He nodded to Conner and exited the Moore House.

The rest was in Conner's hands now. A chance for success and to carve his own chapter into Sacramento's history.

Blood Hunt:

12. Likes liked this post
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread