Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2112) Liam, Gerrit, and more?

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Dec 21, 2021 : (2112) Winter Coronation
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    The Damn Colonel
    Presence
    (Rakish)
    Summer Mantle
    (Heat Shimmer)
    Strength
    (Surprisingly Strong)
    Status, Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Languages
    (Spanish)
    Colonel Worm

Mask
    Worm is tall, whip thin, and corded with muscle. He's got more than a few scars. His eyes are blue and wild. His dirty blond hair is often greasy and worn short in the front, longer in the back—what some may call a mullet. There's always a mischievous smile on his lips. His wardrobe is extensive and totally crazy, filled with second-hand costumery and bizarre outfits scavenged from thrift-bins. The clothes reflect his attitude: Colonel Worm loves to make a scene and leave a lasting impression, for better or worse.

Mien
    Worm's mien is quintessential Goblin: he is taller, thinner, and more scarred. His skin is a bright red and his eyes a glaucous white (with no discernible pupils). What little hair he has is also white. His ears and nose are pointed and his hands and feet are approximately doubled in size. His muscles stand out like lengths of rope beneath his skin.
    Colonel Worm

Mantle
    The air around Worm shimmers and bends with heat mirage, something you might see coming off of blacktop on a 100 degree day.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Soldier

"Speak rodent, huh?" Worm screws up his face as he considers. Not grossed out or anything, just thinking hard. "How many words for cheese do the little fuckers have?" About as many as the Colonel has for getting fucked up, or so he figures. Speaking of: another slug off the flask, which he sets in the middle of the table for any and all takers. And out comes the Juul, which the Goblin puffs on happily.

Liam's reassurance makes Worm happy. Watching his buddy catch one from the hob had not been fun. But now the Frog is dead and the Tree is on the mend. All's well, etc. etc.

"Something's always new in Colonel-world," he replies to Gerrit. "Lately, it's been a lot of training. Trying to keep my hand on a blade. I got a feeling I'll be back in the hedge before I know it." That's only half the story, though. The truth is Worm feels incomplete without a sword or knife in his hand for an extended period every few days. "You should see this little trick I've cooked up..." He gives both Ogres a mysterious look.

"Yeah, what's the deal with those things?" Goblin fruit. "I don't have much experience. Always preferred candy to fruit, myself." There's truth to that joke, for sure.

2. Likes Aeolus, BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Giant
    (7 feet tall; not fond of low ceilings)
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Def: 2 (Dex/Wits)
    Armor: 0/0
    Initiative: 5
    Speed: 12 (w/ Fleet of Foot)

Ogre Seeming Bonus
    -Add Glam to Str pools (1 per Glam)

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Seeing John open the box, Liam rises to grab his note. "Excuse me..." He carefully weaves between the gathered tables, giving nods and smiles to those around, before pulling a note out and then weaving his way back to his table. But before looking at it, he realizes he's left some conversation partners hanging.

"What's it like? I guess it's kind of like talking to someone who's constantly in a hurry. They're always focusing on something new whether it's food or a threat. They're also pretty singular-minded. I've found rats to be more open to new topics, but squirrels are less trusting and more flighty."
    Worm's question prompts a laugh from the Giant, though he manages his volume so as not to attract undue attention. "Ha! Two; neither of which are pleasant for table talk. Though it depends on who you ask. Squirrels don't know what cheese is, while most rats will just call it 'food'."

"As for the Goblin Fruits..." He leans forward a bit in his chair. "...they're kind of like magic potions you can grow. Most Fruits, like the ones I grow, do pretty simple stuff like heal injuries. It's how I was able to recover from that scar so quickly. But others can put people to sleep, replenish Glamour, or even act like caffeine and keep you awake for days." He looks over to Gerrit. "I've only ever grown the Seasonal ones. What kinds do you like?" Like an eager student, Liam sits patiently for Gerrit's answer.

4. Likes Aeolus, , Yumyumcrow liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

A jolt of pain in those muscles around Gerrit's mouth when Worm asked for a rodent's vocabulary. Not quite a smile, but close enough. Liam's explanation made him think of Sonnie and that one guy that crashed into the picnic over half a year ago. What was his name again? Gerrit couldn't remember, but that one also seemed to be in a hurry all the time. "I see. Are their memory any good? I reckon if they can remember you they could be a good spot to start asking once something goes south. And it'd be easier to make friends with them." Of course.

"A new trick?" Colonel Worm never ceased to surprise, so the Ogre couldn't even begin to imagine what that trick would be like. The Stonebones became even more still as he looked at the Goblin. It most likely didn't seem that way, but he almost needed to force himself to follow up on that conversation. "I've been training myself for a while now. Uh, boxing. In case I need to-" Become a bully, become a violent jerk with a short fuse "Defend myself. I haven't really sparred with anybody yet, just been going through the basics."

Gerrit eased up a bit when the topic turned to Goblin Fruits and while Liam went over the things to know, the narcotic or stimulating effects those things could have is probably what got through to CW the most. "I've also only heard about the seasonal ones. I wouldn't even know how to find seeds for any other kind, let alone how to find information on how to cultivate them." Which was mostly true - and maybe Liam had a better source than the book Cassandra found in the Hedge.

A few people have taken their slip of paper, so Gerrit thought it was a good time to get one himself. "I'll be right back." And with that he went over and fished out a testament of another person's trust in the Freehold. Returning to his place, he stopped halfway to read it. It was pretty.. unspectacular and general in nature. Bloodshot eyes scanned the room once - could be anyone's, really. Which was just as well. Gerrit was not someone thriving on gossip. He pocketed the paper and went back to Worm and Liam.

6. Likes Endymion, liked this post
    The Damn Colonel
    Presence
    (Rakish)
    Summer Mantle
    (Heat Shimmer)
    Strength
    (Surprisingly Strong)
    Status, Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Languages
    (Spanish)
    Colonel Worm

Mask
    Worm is tall, whip thin, and corded with muscle. He's got more than a few scars. His eyes are blue and wild. His dirty blond hair is often greasy and worn short in the front, longer in the back—what some may call a mullet. There's always a mischievous smile on his lips. His wardrobe is extensive and totally crazy, filled with second-hand costumery and bizarre outfits scavenged from thrift-bins. The clothes reflect his attitude: Colonel Worm loves to make a scene and leave a lasting impression, for better or worse.

Mien
    Worm's mien is quintessential Goblin: he is taller, thinner, and more scarred. His skin is a bright red and his eyes a glaucous white (with no discernible pupils). What little hair he has is also white. His ears and nose are pointed and his hands and feet are approximately doubled in size. His muscles stand out like lengths of rope beneath his skin.
    Colonel Worm

Mantle
    The air around Worm shimmers and bends with heat mirage, something you might see coming off of blacktop on a 100 degree day.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Soldier

The finer points of rats and squirrels has Worm laughing, shaking his head. "Never saw much of a difference between the two. Except the fluffy tail. Don't tell 'em I said that, though. Don't want to offend anyone." What's he saying? They're rodents. Who gives a fuck? "So why d'you think the squirrels are tweaking? I mean, seems to me rats would be just as paranoid. I know I would be." No one tries to trap or poison squirrels on a regular basis, after all.

"A very nice one," Worm replies to Gerrit, with an arch of his brow. But then the Stonebones is confessing to his own training. Well, not really confessing. But everything feels like a confession with Gerrit, like he's got to force himself to say what's on his mind. Like it's some giant secret. Doesn't really bother Worm; he likes a challenge. But the Goblin does tend to wonder what that's all about. A Winter thing? Maybe. Though it feels like more than that. "Well why didn't you say so, G. That fucking rules! You know I love a scrap. I'll be your sparring partner." Typical Worm: inviting himself right on in. He looks at Liam. "You got an itch to throw a punch, you're invited too," Worm's not gonna exclude his tree-bud. No sir.

Gerrit's right. The speed-fruit is exactly where Worm's attention goes. "So...what about this caffeine kumquat? You got any? Can you grow some?" Puffing on his vape, looking very interested.

8. Likes BoxingUnicorn, Aeolus, liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Liam nods to Gerrit. "Actually, yes. Rodents in general are pretty intelligent critters, and the squirrels in particular have a good grasp of the city topography since they get around trees and buildings so often. Some of them even knew how to get to your flower shop. Not that I think they're being used as spies!" Liam puts up a hand apologetically. He'd just now come to the thought of other, maybe less friendly Lost using beasts and birds as hidden agents.

The talk of combat training doesn't upset Liam, but his grin looks a bit more forced here. "Well...I've never tried weaponry before. Even that sword Ram gave me felt like so much wood in my hands." He looks to Worm, certain he'd remember the bastard swords Ram had given them for their Patrol. And the fight with Branchel. "If you're looking for a sparring partner, I'd be game. If nothing else, I'm an easy target." He looks between Ogre and Goblin, hoping he hasn't made them worry with his humor.

He shrugs apologetically. "All I know right now is that those fruits exist. My Archive, Diana, she has memories of the forest her home tree was grown in. I use her to brush up on Fruits and Hedgebeasts as often as I can. I'm hoping to find some seeds I can use to cultivate some of those special fruits in my Hollow."

As Gerrit gets up to get his note, Liam gets an idea and looks at his own...

failure

By the time Gerrit returns to his seat, Liam's eyes are fixed on the Stonebones with a look of surprise that lasts for several seconds too many. He quickly pockets the note and coughs uneasily. "So, Worm, have you done any work on the Summer Hollow lately?"

10. Likes Aeolus, Endymion, liked this post

0 Scenes

3 days left until close!

12. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

"I second the Colonel's thoughts - I thought rats were smarter and therefore more aware of.. well, everything." Although Liam mentioning Rosie's made Gerrit flex his right hand into a fist for a second. There was a taste of paranoia he could get behind. Or was it really paranoia if it meant the difference between living and being taken?
    Did the Huntsman have control over rodents? Was there anything Gerrit could do about that? Thoughts chased each other while Gerrit's face remained mostly motionless. He could find a rodent repellent.. or set some traps. "Oh, I'm not keeping any secrets in my shop. I'm afraid spying on me would most certainly bore most people." Still, it was another worry added to the list.

As expected the mere hint of sparring was answered with enough enthusiasm for two. Gerrit frowned slightly, then nodded. "Okay. So I'll let you know when I have some time." He looked over to Liam. "You too." His look remained on Liam for a bit longer. Not a fighter either, huh? I wonder- He stopped that thought. Maybe it was time to start deciding things on his own, to stop getting influenced by how others acted or what others thought. He and Colonel Worm had made a promise, after all. He could make some decisions of his own and if they threaded the line the Goblin would let him know.

"Diana? Another Lost?" Although he called her his archive. Some form of sentient bookcase maybe? The thought of something sentient being kept in an Hollow made Gerrit somewhat uncomfortable. He cleared his throat and let the other two Lost talk it out for a while. He wasn't itching to go back into the Hedge, but if Liam knew a place or way to get seeds it might be worth another venture.

4 successes

The Gargantuan wasn't really much of a liar. Gerrit met his look calmly as he sat down. This was something he hadn't really considered when they came up with the idea. He didn't like lying or manipulating others, and the Spring had obviously read something he attributed to Gerrit. He did think this recipient was a bit of a missed opportunity, though. "Anything all right? Did the Colonel say something outrageous?" Was this taking things too far? Was he playing with Liam, mocking him even? Brow-scars furrowed and he looked at the Wizened for a second.
    And he was judging squirrels for being paranoid.

14. Likes , BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    The Damn Colonel
    Presence
    (Rakish)
    Summer Mantle
    (Heat Shimmer)
    Strength
    (Surprisingly Strong)
    Status, Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Languages
    (Spanish)
    Colonel Worm

Mask

Mien
    Colonel Worm

Mantle

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Soldier

Worm snags the flask from where he's left it on the table and sips as he watches the exchange between the two Ogres. The carefree banter of Liam (perhaps a little too carefree) as he details the inner lives of critters. And Gerrit's own typically cagey responses. Well, maybe not cagey, but the cards are definitely held close to the chest. As always.

The finer points escape Worm, of course. He's not really an empath. But he can see the dynamic clearly. A puff off his vape.

"Last time I saw a squirrel, it was in the middle of the street. And when I swerved to miss it with my truck, it ran back under my wheels. Not sure what happened to it, but..." he shrugs. Masters of the city? Maybe master crossing the road first.

To Gerrit now: "You know, I've never had a chance to visit your place. I should stop by! Buy some...I don't know...Roses? Orchids?" The Stonebones has seen the Colonel's living quarters. Flowers? There? The joke should write itself.

Liam is a little hesitant about getting his hands dirty. Fair enough. Worm offers his tree-pal an encouraging smile. "Don't worry, bud. Gerrit's just talking a little boxing practice. And I've got pads aplenty." He'd picked them up when Sera had come by for a work out. "If you do want to learn how to handle a blade, though, just say. Either of you." That smile goes from encouraging to savage for a beat. Just the thought of holding something sharp, something deadly, in his hands does something to the Goblin.

Archive? Diana? Worm just looks confused: "Huh? Yeah. What G said."

Now he's even more baffled, "Wait! What'd I say?" Fully accepting that he has, somehow, said something all fucked up. Though he doesn't remember saying it.

16. Likes , Aeolus, BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

"The rats I've spoken to are more bold than flighty; they have numbers whereas squirrels have more of a 'every-beast for itself' vibe. At least, the nastier squirrels do...or I think they're nasty. It's a little strange discussing morals with most rodents. They're constantly on survival mode." The mention of the flattened squirrel twists Liam's face in an odd grimace; like he's tempted to laugh at the sudden shock of misfortune but also slightly mortified. "Good with directions, but vehicles are a hot-button subject with them. It's like the combination of noise, smells, and speed set their flight response on overdrive." It wasn't a feeling Liam knew too often, having been (and still to a degree) a towering forest guardian to whom creatures like Gerrit and Worm would've been comparable to squirrels.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I should explain. Diana is a living Archive: a dryad from...Back There." His broad smile dulls somewhat. "She grew from a seed that I carried over when I came back here. So she's Arcadian by...birth, I guess?" He himself was a bit confused by the finer details, but he's always considered Diana a dear friend and almost a surrogate child. And he'd never do anything less.

"Oh no! I mean, not more than usual...I mean, he's fine." Liam takes a quick gulp of his drink, barely managing not to choke. "I'd just asked him about improvements to the Summer Hollow." It wasn't that he didn't trust Gerrit; he was a part of the Freehold after all, and a valued one from what he'd heard. He was just afraid of insulting the other Ogre and/or spoiling the spirit of the Winter's event. Liam may be dense, but he was never a bad guest.

18. Likes Endymion, , Aeolus liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

And that was his evening: discussing the different personality types of rodents. Although it wasn't uninteresting - and it actually showed Gerrit somethings about Liam and CW. Although the revelations weren't groundbreaking, like Liam's aversion to violence against animals and Worm's general laid-backness. A rumbling wet grunt was all that Gerrit had to add to that topic for the moment.

"Uh, yeah. You'll find me there during normal business hours." He wouldn't know what to do with the Summer at Rosie's. And while customers could walk in the amount of unproblematic topics to talk about shrank down to very few. But he couldn't outright say it like that. "It's nothing special but maybe you want to gift someone flowers one day."

Gerrit couldn't really hide his surprise when Liam told them about his dryad. He wasn't versed in mythology or knowledgeable enough to know the difference between dryads and what Liam was, so he might have to trust the Gargantuan on this. The Spring didn't seem like someone who'd keep a sentient being captured against their will. "And she just knows all those things? I mean, if you have.. uh, grown her yourself where would she learn all the things she teaches you?"

The Wizened's enthusiastic suggestions were met with a short nod. "I think I'll stick to weaponless." And was he this close to saying 'for now'? Maybe. But maybe it was just Worm's contagious energy.
    And just like he said, Colonel Worm was an open book - and confirmed that Liam was just trying to change the topic. So Gerrit indulged him. "I was meaning to ask you about the Summer Hollow anyway. Is Tobias - Ram - still around to care for it?" There was the slightest hint of bitterness in his voice. Just as he had suspected the promised visits from Ram's wonderful family life never happened.
    Go figure.

20. Likes , Endymion liked this post
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread