Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

An evening conversation

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Seneschal, Baroness Notary, Priscus of Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer muses on Milton's words for a moment.
    "Unfourtanate on Miss Wei Lin." Jennifer replies. More that I could not get a better read on her.

"Mysterious threat?"An eyebrow raised in curiousity. "I am glad that you had the opportunity to get to know Miss Kingsley. I do hope that intelligence is of assistance to the investigation.
    Perhaps you would like to meet with one of the ladies and I for an evening of conversation."
    A small smile.
    Jennifer has kept a tight rein on her emotions. Yet there does not appear to be any sign of anger. The small smile at the mention of her cousins sobers with the serious matter that was brought up.

"No need, Mr. Northbridge. Some are too free to use the word friend. I do not believe you belong to that category. Although I am intriqued by what it means to you."
    Jennifer considers Milton in silence for a moment.

"I am curious - how do you feel about Reeve Durant's suggestion?
    "I would be open to discuss the possibility of a coterie. I would be curious as to what your concerns are.
    I am not ready to commit to a decision at the moment. I would need some time to consider."
    Polite, yet firm. Brown eyes regard him for a moment. Comfortable in the silence.
    "I present as the most desirable option: words that genuinely flatter me, Mr. Northbridge."

The small smile toys at Jennifer's lips again. "I enjoy being a student as well. It is one of the joys we have in the Danse: time to learn.

I do regret that you lost your Sire so early." The Nosferatu's expression sobers.

"I would be pleased to schedule you for a lesson on the Oaths of the First estate after your acceptance by her Grace, the Duchess Twist, Priscus of the Daeva and Archon. I can tell you that there is an opportunity to see an Oath once you impress the First Estate."
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

What more can he say about Wei Lin? She was here. Now she is not. There might have been potential, but they'll never know. She'd disappeared on the eve of a very sensitive meeting and, no matter how he'd wanted her there, he can't forgive what amounts to a betrayal. Of course, Milton had handled it. But he won't forget.

"A series of murders," he replies, "occurring in and around an industrial park. Possibly Kindred connected, though we are still collecting evidence. I've paid a visit to the site itself, and Mr. Wells and Ms. Kingsley have been researching other angles." There's not much more to report at the moment.

"I would be delighted to spend more time with your cousins. Thank you for the offer. I can, of course, make myself available at any time." A nice development, that. He's planned to get to know Jennifer's family in a more intimate way. The Haunts are such a fascinating--and useful--bunch.

Her response to his use of the word 'friend' brings something to his smile that might be called warmth. A rare thing for Milton. "I'm happy to hear that, Lady Notary Hazelton. And I appreciate your estimation of my character." A beat as he considers her request for clarity. "To me, the distinction between a friend and, say, an ally, has to do with compatibility and enjoyment. You and I have often noted the interests, perspectives, and values we share. We are, to a remarkable extent, compatible in those regards. Further, though, I must admit that I distinctly enjoy your company. One might not enjoy the company of one's allies, per se. But, in our case, I look forward to our meetings. To our conversation." He gives her a look that borders on bashful. Such frank discussion of his feelings is not Milton's typical faire.

Back to the question of a coterie. "I understand Reeve Durant's perspective. Like most other things, she's proposed a thoughtful and strategic approach to the question. At the same time, the question of forming a coterie goes somewhat beyond sound strategy. I think it touches on certain intangibles. Such as compatibility," calling back to his earlier discussion of friendship. "And trust. Thus, my thoughts turned to you."

He had not expected her to accept tonight, and he nods in understanding. "Of course. Please, take all the time you need. As I've said, your care and intelligence are qualities that I prize. I would not ask you to abandon those qualities when considering my proposition. And, to reiterate, should you decide to forego this opportunity, I will not take offense." Milton's quite aware that her status within the domain opens many doors for Jennifer. And that it places them in very different categories in terms of hierarchy. He is clear eyed about this fact, and what it might mean in this context.

Another smile, "And if the truth flatters, all the better," he replies.

That smile turns a little bittersweet at her condolences, "It is a regrettable fact, his loss. But, without that loss, I would not be here tonight. And I am very glad to be here this evening. Her Grace's domain, and its denizens, have been a revelation." He's quite sure that Boston would not have offered the same opportunities. Too much history. Too sclerotic (even for Milton).

Her offer of a lesson concerning oaths is a pleasant development, "I thank you for that, Lady Notary Hazelton. And, as a fellow perpetual student, I look forward to that lesson. I must admit, I am anxious for the upcoming meeting of the First Estate..." A little bit of vulnerability there. But, then again, who wouldn't be anxious, in his position?
    Health: Vitae: WP: BP: 1

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

“That is concerning.” Jennifer looks serious. “I do hope that situation can be buttoned up before it attracts the wrong attention.”
    “I will speak with Madame Kingsley and Madame Salem. I shall be in touch.”
    Jennifer comments.

A small nod to Milton’s observation on friendship. “We do have many of the same interests. I can see the sense in your explanation. I know that I am curious to see what conversations can be enjoyed in the salon. I expect to devote my full attention to it after I complete my studies on another matter or two.”
    A small smile. “I agree with you on Priscus Durant’s outlook. It is sensible to take care in all matters.” Her expression sobers, and remains pleasant. “The forming of a coterie is quite a momentous undertaking. To create a harmonious group that can be united. In the same group, to find Kindred who are adaptable and consistent. I find consistency to be a valued trait in possible coterie mates.
    I do believe that you are consistent. I do think we can speak on what you think is important to a coterie. I am sure that you have some concerns.”

“That is true.”
    Jennifer acknowledged regarding Mr. Northbridge’s Sire.

“That is sensible. It is natural to feel anxious when doing something for the first time. The meeting of the First Estate will have several of the most influential Kindred of the Domain. I would recommend not being loquacious. Or long – winded. Concise and deferential is what I would advise.
    I am sure that Seneschal Jack, Speaker of the First Estate and Priscus of the Ventrue, has prepared you well.”
    A direct look to Milton’s eyes, with some emphasis on well. “Trust what he has taught. I have had the opportunity to see you in different scenarios. You were never disrespectful.

I shall make myself available after the meeting for you to make an appointment for training. I do have an appointment with Whip O’Brien the following evening.”
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"Yes, quite concerning. But I'm confident we can bring the situation to an acceptable conclusion. With no mess." In his own, quiet way, Milton is assured of his capabilities. And those of his fellow investigators (if to a lesser extent).

Jennifer grants his explanation merit and Milton favors her with a smile. Of course he makes sense. Milton always makes sense (or so he would say). "It's an exciting prospect. The Kindred of Sacramento have many opportunities for...interaction. But none explicitly geared toward intellectual debate and inquiry. There are so many fascinating individuals in the domain, after all. I am sure they have equally diverse and...unique perspectives." And then there's the chance to see some of them make fools of themselves or exhibit their native stupidity. An equally tantalizing possibility.

The Lord nods along, solemnly, as Jennifer expounds on the delicate and important work of forming a coterie. "Consistency. Indeed. I am flattered at your estimate in this regard." He thinks for a long moment, considering his own priorities. "Consistency goes to the heart of it. Stability. Creating a group that persists through time. We have so much time, but so little stability. I see a coterie as the formation of a stable base from which its members might act. A place where they can return after the rigors of the Danse. For council, support, and restoration. Beyond these qualities, I would hope that the other members of a prospective coterie could permit a certain...openness. Free discussion. Debate. Even criticism. We spend our nights holding our thoughts so close. By necessity. If a coterie can provide something akin to an open forum for its members, that would be ideal. But, again, that returns us to the question of trust."

Milton attends to Jennifer's advice concerning his first Invictus meeting closely, especially concerning loquaciousness. He can't help it, his smile becomes a bit wry. "Me? Loquacious? Lady Notary Hazelton, when have you known me to be long-winded?" It's clearly a joke. Milton knows he can talk. Dispensing with humor now: "I understand your point perfectly. Tempus Loquendi Tempus Tacendi as the good book says. A time to speak and a time for silence." A beat. "And your confidence in Seneschal Jacque is, of course, well placed. He is a rigorous and effective instructor. If I should falter during the meeting, it will not be on his account, I assure you." Her kind words regarding his respectfulness are met with a deferential nod of the head. Milton appreciates when his efforts are recognized. "And please, I invite you to provide any feedback on my...performance after the fact. If you should feel so inclined."

Concerning Oaths, Milton looks pleased as punch. Another avenue of inquiry to explore. "I will patiently await your invitation."

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer agreed with Milton, saying simply "I trust that it shall come to an acceptable conclusion, as well."
    "There is merit to your thought. There are Kindred who would be interested in such debates, such as Madame Bellemy. A Kindred who has many facets. You and I have enjoyed conversations about our interests. I would enjoy having time to explore."
    "You and I are of a like mind in how important stability and consistency are to us both. A Haven should be a true haven, a refuge from the outside world. I think that all members of a coterie should be able to trust one another. You seek a certain relaxation of formality and the ability to be honest with one another?"
    She verified her interpretation of what Milton had stated.

"There are going to be areas that Kindred disagree on. Politics: especially matters that could involve an ally of one coterie mate, while the other coterie mates do not share the same opinion. There could be differences regarding Covenant choice. Which could create a situation where there would have to be boundaries on what was shared."
    She looks at Milton closely.
    "How would you imagine such differences of opinion should be addressed?"

A wry smile touched Jennifer's lips.
    "A trait of yours that is a reason I find our conversations meaningful. I dislike passive aggressive stares without substance. Nearly as much as airy words without consequence or meaning. I will let you in on something you will be made aware of." Jennifer shares. "Notaries are often relied upon to give honest reports on what a notary observed. They are professional witnesses for secret covenant actions, which you know. Some notaries seek to become Harpies, to subtly use the knowledge to shape the political landscape." She looks into Milton's eyes, a gesture of trust.
    "I feel that I have an obligation to be truthful whenever possible. By doing so, I ensure that Kindred of Quality can trust my words. My accounting of your performance can be sought."

She had given the slight warning that it would not be flowery or presented in the best light. She would be honest.
    "I am not surprised."

Jennifer knew Seneschal Jack to have approached Mr. Northbridge's education in the best manner possible.
    "I do have an appointment with Whip O'Brien the following evening. Shall you and I meet on Friday to begin your Oath training? Am I to surmise that you have perhaps witnessed one or two Oaths?"

It would assist in tailoring the Oath education to Milton's needs.

"I did have a bit of
    curiosity - if you would indulge me." She leans forward slightly. "You seem to have a certain set of skills that are sought out for the investigation that you mentioned. You conducted yourself well when you and I responded to the Rotgraften incursion. Have you considered seeking a position that could grant you some recognition?"

A door at the back of the haven opened and Liam stepped briefly into sight in the hallway. Jennifer glanced to the ghoul and then to the clock on the wall.
    "This has been an entertaining evening. The time just flew by." Jennifer looked to Milton. "How about we think about one another's points. Then we can meet and discuss."

He did have to discuss Priscus Durant's views on coteries, as well. Jennifer mused. I would be interested to hear Mr. Northbridge's thoughts when they met again. Yet I am looking forward to the approaching First Estate meeting.

6. Likes Endymion liked this post

Time is Money
    Presence
    (Bland)
    Intelligence
    (Analytical)
    Status, Allies
    (City Hall)
    Status, Allies
    (Finance)
    Bureaucratic Navigator
    Milton

PRE

"That is precisely what I see, Lady Notary Hazelton. The ability to speak...freely, honestly. Even critically, though solely in the service of aiding in the mutual success of each coterie member. I understand that different individuals will have a different tolerance for this sort of...atmosphere. But I am confident that prolonged interaction and dialogue can adjust expectations and result in a productive group dynamic."

The example she produces is a...difficult one. Milton takes a few moments to turn it over in his mind. Finally, he speaks: "You are correct. Such problems would be persistent. Most would only be truly resolvable in specific instances, by negotiation between the parties in question. However, it's that negotiation which will be aided by the coterie itself. We must think of the coterie as a space, a location with slightly different laws concerning discourse and behavior. Within that space, negotiations and accommodations which may not be possible outside, can be reached by willing parties. It is not about erasing differences or competing interests. It's about the way they can be approached from a foundation of honesty and mutual cooperation. Sometimes, being able to say, directly, my covenant will not permit me to speak to that, or act in that way, can change everything." The answer is vague, but it can't be helped. Still, Milton believes he's captured the essence of his belief in this regard.

The Lord absorbs the information concerning the role and ethical responsibility of the Notary with an air of intense interest. The picture Jennifer paints perfectly illustrates her own stance. It is remarkable to be offered the context he has thus far been missing.

"Thank you for sharing that," he says with an appreciative smile. "It is both illuminating in terms of your own approach to the Danse and fascinating information in its own right. I can see how this imperative guides your hand and, frankly, makes you a valuable asset--not only to the First Estate, but the domain at large."

Concerning oaths: "You've surmised correctly," he responds. One, in fact. Though he does not go into detail. "I will clear my calendar on that date. Thank you, again, for affording me that time."

What, position, exactly is she referring to? Milton wonders... "I am always happy to serve the domain and if recognition should..."

But, Liam is at the door. Milton follows Jennifer's gaze, finds the Ghoul. For a moment, just a moment, the Beast screams for blood. Then he turns his attention back to the Haunt and offers an understanding smile. It is a bit stiff. But isn't that always the way with Milton?

"Absolutely," he agrees. "Thank you for another evening of enlightening and engaging conversation, Lady Notary Hazelton. As always, you have my gratitude and esteem."

If it is clear that the conversation is at an end, and that he is dismissed, Milton will rise and allow himself to be let out by Liam.

Thank you for the wonderful scene!

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"I do think that coteries should have a level of trust between the coterie. A sense of belonging to help navigate the horrors of the Danse."

Jennifer considers for a moment. Her expression turns thoughtful.

"Negotiation aided by the parties itself. The idea of creating a compact or promise of acceptable behavior at the formation of the coterie could be beneficial. The negotiation is such a vital part of civil conversation."
    She did not touch on specifics, as she would consider these ideas over time.
    Jennifer looks pleased at Milton's thanks at the information relayed in confidence. She gave a small nod of understanding. As he states he is happy to serve the domain and if recognition should, the thoughtful look returns.

"I shall see you at the meeting of the First Estate. Then the Friday afterwards to begin your Oath training in earnest." A pleasant smile. "May you be well until we meet again, Mr. Northbridge."

The promise hinged on Mr. Northbridge's behavior during the meeting, of course. Yet I am confident of Seneshal Jacque's skills. As well as possessing confidence in Mr. Northbridge's understanding of ambition and humility as a wedded pair.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread