Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Spring Things

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 4 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Last
    Naga
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing)
    Status
    (Academic (Law Degree))
    Status
    (Judicial (Law License))
    Nimbus

Cracks in space form around her body like an aura, through which demonic, snake-like eyes peer menacingly. A chorus of distant hissing can be heard.
    Equipment

Smartphone, iron coin (magical tool), .38 revolver, mid-sized car
    Stats/Spells

Health:
    Backlash:
    Mana:
    WP (half pool):
    Armor: 0/0
    Defense: 2 (5 w/ Mind Armor 2E)

Vulgar
    Active Spells: 2/5 | Spell Tolerance: 2

Personal Spells: Monthly Rits: MindSight Pot 4; 2E MindArmor Pot 4

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I'm here to do my best, not only for our Path and my Order, but the Consilium as a whole." she stated, having set her pizza slice down. It was perhaps 75% eaten, but she didn't seem interested in finishing it. Her hands toyed with the cola can as she spoke.

"When you asked me to cast the spell, I thought it unusual, but I did as you asked. I thought perhaps this was how the Consilium did things with newcomers. It quickly became evident that it was not."

Naga looked at the young Libertine squarely, "Counsilor Pixel, I can't say I appreciate being put on the spot like that. It was... uncomfortable. Not only for myself, but for several others there. Judging from some expressions, it may have been wholly unnecessary. I understand your position, and obviously you meant well. I realize the timing of my arrival was not ideal, but perhaps the vetting could have waited for a more quiet moment?"

"In the future, I'd like it if we can work together to to figure these things out beforehand? A little research goes a long way." Her tone was diplomatic, and not unfriendly. A tone that came naturally to her, it seemed. "Let me ask you this. How were you vetted? Were you at all?"

Monthly Rituals (Average): Third Eye (Mind Sight) Pot 2; Misperception (Mind Armor 2E) Pot 1

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Innocent)
    Pixel

Nimbus:
    Things around Pixel become block like before suddenly reverting to their normal appearance, as if the world around him were slowly being rendered in on a crappy cpu.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"How is scrutiny being put on the spot?"

There's a clear disconnect between where Pixel and Naga are in this conversation. His head is tilted to the side as his brow furrowed, and while he maybe trying to be diplomatic as well he clearly wasn't as experienced.

"I don't really care what anyone else in the room thought of the appraisal. You were uncomfortable. For that I'm sorry. But a simple scrutiny is not cause for a room of mages to react as they did and I will not be changing or apologizing for anything beyond your personal discomfort."

The irritation is slowly seeping into his words. The smile is long past.

"And no, I wasn't vetted. There was no council and Anima tried to wrap an arm around me as part of the intro, so people were pretty distracted. Campanella was Heirarch and he basically just said sorry and you're free to go after I gave my path and order."

You think scrutiny is to much? Try getting tea bagged with an onion slice. Or being asked for your true name and 'greatest virtue and vice' by someone who wasn't even your councilor for a full minute.

Naga
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing)
    Status
    (Academic (Law Degree))
    Status
    (Judicial (Law License))
    Nimbus

Cracks in space form around her body like an aura, through which demonic, snake-like eyes peer menacingly. A chorus of distant hissing can be heard.
    Equipment

Stats/Spells

Health:
    Backlash:
    Mana:
    WP (half pool):

Vulgar

+1
    SL
    PRE

He's a college kid. Naga had been overlooking that, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was Awakened. His youth, however, was becoming increasingly obvious. His rebellious Libertine side was also showing.

The Ladder nodded, "Thank you. I appreciate the apology." She took a slow sip of her soda, forming her next question thoughtfully. "So why change it up at all? Why did you decide a public scrutiny was the way to go? Why did you not simply let me introduce myself and allow the proceedings to carry on, as you had experienced it?"

"Ideally, without Councilor Anima getting too friendly, that is."

Monthly Rituals (Average): Third Eye (Mind Sight) Pot 2; Misperception (Mind Armor 2E) Pot 1

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Innocent)
    Pixel

Nimbus:
    Things around Pixel become block like before suddenly reverting to their normal appearance, as if the world around him were slowly being rendered in on a crappy cpu.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Pixel actually thought it was a good idea but now it was definitively not worth the hassle. And while he was clearly annoyed that it had turned out the way it had he also wasn't throwing his pizza at Naga or anything crazy like that. If nothing else, her crack about Anima managed to get a laugh out of him.

"Here's my thing, you're supposed to go to the Circle for recognition by your councilor. If all you need to do is tell me your path and order, why even bother with a recognition process at all? Why not send a letter and declare yourself recognized?"

He stops for a second, eyes his pizza, and the looks back to Naga.

"Maybe I don't get the point of the process? But it seems to me it's a completely empty gesture. Some nicety from a bygone era that I as an outsider to Diamond law tried to enforce without realizing it's just a 'hey I'm here' kinda deal. So I guess I'm asking for your lawyer-y services sooner then anticipated? What's the point of recognition and how would you handle it?"

Naga
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing)
    Status
    (Academic (Law Degree))
    Status
    (Judicial (Law License))
    Nimbus

Equipment

Stats/Spells

Health:
    Backlash:
    Mana:
    WP (half pool):

Vulgar

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Because it's common courtesy, really. More to you than to myself. You're recognized as the lead Mastigoi. I'll follow your lead in matters of our Path. Introducing myself is a simple first step." The Vox set her can of soda aside, folded her hands in her lap, and focused her full attention upon Pixel.

Naga could only give a slight shrug, "As their heart, that's what Consili are. Societies of a bygone era, though one we hope to restore and improve upon. The Diamond does cling quite tightly to our ways. Maybe too much at times, but I don't see the Atlantean Orders changing any time soon. We are what we are. Losing your golden age can make you stubbornly nostalgic." She smirked.

"Honestly? I would have handled it like this. A nice, informal talk. Timing didn't allow for that when I arrived. Maybe that's on me, and if so, I apologize. There's no changing what happened, so perhaps we just move forward from here?" The Théarch paused a moment to consider her words. "The point of recognition is to make the new arrival feel officially welcomed. So they know where they stand, that they are counted among their fellows. I'd surmise that the Awakened, for all our pride and ambition, are an insecure lot. We need the reassurance." There was the smirk again, "The Mystagogues also love their record-keeping."

She smiled knowingly, "Our Path has a lousy reputation, even here. I'd very much like to work with you on improving it. Convince everyone in this Consilium that we're not going to read their minds constantly or spy on them in their homes." Naga shook her head, "That would just be exhausting."

6. Likes Xander liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

“Wanting to help people is a noble cause.” As long as he knew not everyone could be saved.

“Can’t say I’ve heard that one before. But I can understand the feeling great when studying it. There is a certain power to knowing that with enough practice and dedication, you can create life, and take it away very easily. Now, understanding why you want it is important. Because once you reach a certain level, things can go one of two ways. You either do good, or you don’t, meaning you use the gifts to cause harm.” Looking at the water bottle, “I’ve used it for some fucked up shit, and let me tell you, it sticks with you. So be careful and smart with it.” She didn’t want to tell him what to do, but hubris was a real fucking thing.

“Hope?”
    what? “That’s really nice, but, uh, I’m not the one you want to put your hope in.” there was days she still questioned her desire to return.

“I’ve done yoga, so in some way, it was easy to understand meditation and get into. Though it has been a bit more difficult at times. But I’m enjoying it.”
    She was giving it a shot.

“That’s really nice of you to offer, thank you!”
    might be better then hiring a company again.

8. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 3 ( +1 vs Bashing: Kung Fu 1)
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3
    Spell Tolerance: 3/3 Spell Rolls
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze listens attentively to the thoughts Aurora shares with him.

He wants to ask her about her errors, or wait, she didn't actually say she regretted what she'd done with her gift, just that it was awful.

Then Aurora tries to downplay how unique and inspiring it is that she came back. Maybe she really doesn't know?

Yoga. Flexibility. Makes sense. Meditation really works, like everything, if you commit to it.

She sounds like the offer to help move, use the truck is a good thing!

"Well. I mean, I don't want to assume or presume or whatever, but you know people leave here all the time, and just in the time since I got here, you're pretty unique in coming back. If it's not too personal, can I ask you, did you plan to come back when you left or did you decide to come back after you left?" Kaze asks respectfully. "It really does lift my spirits, like, maybe others will come back too." He says.

"I'd love to help out, and honestly, that's why I got the truck instead of some little compact that gets great mileage or something." Kaze says with a smile. "It's pretty simple and easy to just tell people I have a truck, and then show up with it when they need help."

"So, with you already knowing yoga and meditating, have you thought about learning martial arts? I mean, I think you were one of the few people who went to the self defense classes that Phoenyx was doing for a while." Kaze says. "I've been thinking about how I can develop my martial arts training more, and depend on the gifts less. Not just fighting, but you know, moving quietly and alternate medicine methods too."
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

She had expected there to be questions.

“It’s not too personal. I decided when I was gone that I needed to return. Sacramento has become home, and moving to a new place just doesn’t hold any appeal anymore.” A shrug. “A sign of getting older maybe?” she jokes.

Laughing, “Telling people you have a truck opens you up to a ton of calls needing help.” But, maybe he wanted that. “My car is horrible on gas.” Really bad. “I can’t fit much in my car, so furniture went into storage until I decided what I was doing.” Clothes was about all she could fit in that car.

Eyes widen in surprise, “Fighting?” a finger points to herself, before she shakes her head, “I don’t fight. Never been something I was good at. I enjoy the classes she offers, it’s always nice to support a friend. But fighting isn’t something I plan to peruse.” Nope, not this Shaman. “I mean, I can increase my abilities with Life, but I’d rather not, kind of seems like cheating with no skill to back them up.”

11. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze chuckles, "I guess it could be age. I feel the same way, and I like to think it's me getting more mature, ready to put down roots and deal with whatever comes with that instead of moving on whenever something hard to deal with happens." He says.

Kaze just nods and smiles when Aurora points out that telling people he has a truck is basically leaving himself open to people asking him to help. Exactly.

"Well, seriously, I am glad to help move things whenever you are ready, wherever you want." He says.

Kaze looks serious when Aurora protests about fighting. "You know...I mean, it's kind of like what you told me about healing people, helping people, whether I use gifts or not. Fighting...with gifts is really just a subset, you know? Learning other methods just gives you more options, and it can make your overall decision making more efficient too. I mean, if I know how to take someone down by purely physical means, then I have a pretty good idea how they are going to try to do it to me, which means I can make better decisions on how to avoid a fight at all, if that's possible." He suggests gently. "And if I can't avoid it, then I have different options, I can choose to use different levels of response. I have more flexibility to fit the circumstances, but only if I have practiced and know what I can do."
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Innocent)
    Pixel

Nimbus:

+1
    SL
    PRE

Maybe it was the introverted Gen Zer speaking, but part of him wished courtesy was a text or letter. Or at least that the rules were more clear on what it was.

"You didn't do anything wrong."

It was Pixel who misread the situation, even if he wasn't admitting it anytime soon. Nor would he admit how hard he dropped the ball on his first recognition, but he was happy to take her advice and move on from the fiasco.

"Actually the mages of Sacramento are pretty good at holding individuals accountable rather then blaming orders or paths. Like no one mentioned the Free Council when we were sentencing Shodan or Anima tried his onion thing. Even Winter's duel was clearly an individual failing brought forward by another Theurgist. Even if we did abuse our arcana, I doubt very much the blame would extend past the individual who did it."

He shrugged, taking a bite before continuing.

"Unless I missed something at Concilium? I didn't really get any definitive tensions between the orders or anything."

Page 4 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Last
Closed Thread