DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse
    Something is...off about Patience’s face. Or is it her body as a whole, the way she carries herself? Something’s not quite right in any event, though you can never seem to say exactly what that may be. A subtle asymmetry of her features, an odd cock of the eye or twist of the lips? A barely detectable wrongness in the set of her limbs, in the rhythm of her walk? An unlocatable strangeness: it’s all the more disquieting because that ‘something’ can’t be named, tracked down, and assigned a place. In fact, it seems to change moment to moment, depending on where she is in the room and where you are in relation to her.

(Meeting in the Shadows)Vitae 0 Spent
    NOS
    PRE

The appointed night has arrived. It is overcast, the heavens hidden behind a low shelf of cloud.

Patience waits for Derek under the highway, as promised. The lot is otherwise empty. It is a lonely place, a long time deserted. Where the blacktop is cracked and crumbled, tall weeds have sprung up. The darkness is thick, but her supernaturally enhanced senses render the world visible.

The Bishop is dressed in her usual attire. Beneath her long, gray overcoat—a heavy affair, worn and stained with rough use, frayed at the ends of sleeve and collar—she is strapped with two bowie knives, honed to murderous sharpness. Under the coat: a
    black t-shirt. Black jeans are tucked into black boots. Her hair is pulled back into a tight bun.

Tonight, Patience will see just how receptive this Shadow is to the message of the Dark Prophet. She will also test the mettle of Sacramento's newest Reeve. She watches the gate, waiting.

Heightened Senses active. Equipment: Reinforced Clothing, 2 Bowie Knives, Cell Phone.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

(Touch of Shadow/Heightened Senses)Vitae 0 Spent
    PRE

Cloak of Night 2sux, Touch of Shadow 3sux, Clash of Wills 5sux
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-10 13:44:36 Derek Menzies rolls 9 to contest in Clash of Wills [RES+Stealth+Obf] (10 Again) 8, 2, 8, 9, 8, 9, 7, 6, 1 5 successes
    2019-09-10 13:43:34 Derek Menzies rolls 7 to place Touch of Shadow on knife [WIT+Larceny+Obf] (10 Again) 4, 2, 10, 8, 8, 4, 3, 4 3 successes
    2019-09-10 13:42:04 Derek Menzies rolls 11 to activate Cloak of Night [INT+Stealth+Obf] (10 Again) 7, 3, 3, 2, 1, 9, 8, 6, 3, 3, 1 2 successes
    Heightened Senses Active.
    Equipment: Running Shoes, Smart Phone, Knife, Handcuffs, Compact Car (parked two blocks away)

Clash of Wills in effect if Patience possesses Auspex

Derek moves through darkness as if he is part of it. The Shadows are known for seeing without being seen. The instructions had been easy to follow. A quick search online gave him maps and plenty of photos of the area. He found a spot to park his car and journeyed the rest of the way under his Cloak.

Upon coming to the gate he observes his surroundings, searching for the Lance's newest Bishop. He sees the lone figure, grotesque and menacing even from this distance. But the gate bars his way, even with a broken lock. The simple action of opening it would break his fragile camouflage. Yet then there is no reason to maintain the Cloak. After all, they've both come on Good Faith tonight. Haven't they?

After a look around to confirm they are alone in this secluded lot beneath the bridge, Derek opens the gate, breaking the Cloak that is wrapped around him. For those witnesses lacking supernatural sight, he materializes where there was no one an instant before. He wears a black hoodie tonight, grey jeans, and a pair of sneakers that shuffle softly against the crumbling pavement.

He emits no Beast. His knife, tucked in the pocket of his hoodie is wreathed in Shadow.

"Good evening, Bishop," his voice is meek and uncertain.

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse
    Something is...off about Patience’s face. Or is it her body as a whole, the way she carries herself? Something’s not quite right in any event, though you can never seem to say exactly what that may be. A subtle asymmetry of her features, an odd cock of the eye or twist of the lips? A barely detectable wrongness in the set of her limbs, in the rhythm of her walk? An unlocatable strangeness: it’s all the more disquieting because that ‘something’ can’t be named, tracked down, and assigned a place. In fact, it seems to change moment to moment, depending on where she is in the room and where you are in relation to her.

NOS
    PRE

The sound of the rusted chain-link gate opening, paired with Derek's sudden materialization out of the shadows, seizes the Haunt's attention. Her head jerks around, an avian movement. Indeed, she has the aspect of some sort of carrion bird, a vulture perhaps. Chin jutting out, eyes bright and shining, fixed upon the Shadow as he approaches.

Her right hand, which had instinctively reached into her coat, falls back to her side. Empty.

Of course, it is not the use of Obfuscate that surprises her. She is Nosferatu and is familiar with the Cloak. Even if she has never seen the need for that particular skill herself. Some night, perhaps.

"Reeve," she replies. "Thank you for coming. I thought we should meet. Get to know one another."

When he reaches her, she turns on her heel. "Walk with me. We can follow the highway to the river. It is not unpleasant."

It's not pleasant either. The scene under the overpass is bleak. Abandoned homeless camps, a burnt out car or two. Trash. And a thick tangle of brush, grown up in this forgotten place. Patience seems right at home.

"I heard of your appointment. Congratulations." Though such responsibility might prove a dubious honor, depending on his performance. "How have your nights been?" Patience is attempting casual conversation, a difficult thing for such a disturbing individual.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

The coat had obscured whatever it was she carried and Derek wonders what Patience's weapon of choice might be.

When she speaks, he tilts his head curiously at this rather cordial approach from the Bishop. After hearing her speak of Sin and Damnation at Court he wondered if she settled for mundane topics. Perhaps respect for his new title?

"Thank you," he answers as he follows along. "I'm glad you decided to contact me. My nights have been busy as of late. A multi-million dollar company has moved to Sacramento and is nearly finished building a fortress within the city after working to collect weapons meant for killing Kindred. My predecessor decided to leave the city on short notice so it's a lot to sort through and plan for," he explains with only the slightest air of concern.

"And what of yours? I noticed you've been providing much spiritual counsel to Dirt Nap at Court. Do you welcome such confessions? If they may be called that. Or do you prefer those...other methods you mentioned last we spoke?"

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse

NOS
    PRE

Patience walks, stepping around the rusted bulk of a large filing cabinet, inexplicably left on its side beneath the highway. After diverting her path, she rejoins the Shadow as they continue their progress toward the river. Her gait is rolling, confident, though the movements of her body seem grotesquely out of joint.

Derek’s discussion of security concerns piques her interest. “Now that sounds like a problem, Reeve Mitnick.” The cattle can never know the Truth. The Lord has ordained that the Damned must punish them unseen. “How do you plan to handle it?” Perhaps Patience can be of some assistance, though she won’t offer just yet.

“I do welcome them. It is part of my duty.” Sometimes the confession is made freely. Often it must be...encouraged. “Mr. Nap’s case is a curious one, though regrettably common. He was a man of Faith before his Damnation. He holds onto...positions more appropriate for someone still breathing. I am working to help him accept his new role in the Lord’s plans.” Patience was not permitted such illusions. As for the ‘other methods’ mentioned by Derek, Patience passes over that particular topic in silence.

Her heightened hearing now begins to pick up the sounds of moving water despite the hum of traffic on the highway above.

”And yourself, Reeve Mitnick? Are you interested in making a confession?” She asks directly. Some small animal scurries through the trash and underbrush at their approach.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek turns his head to regard her, eyebrows twitching at some internal consideration.

“I plan to ask for help by appointing Deputies. I’m not so prideful that I would think to accomplish the problem on my own. This matter affects all of us and so all of us must do our part,” he answers to her initial question.

“As for a confession. Yes. I fear that I am too weak to inherit this crisis and too fearful to maintain the will to see its solution through to its end. Of course I will make an effort, but when I am tested, I wish not to cave to the pressure. The Lord has great plans and expectations for us, yes? How am I to be strong enough? Is the answer as you said before, that we must hunt together as a pack?”

It is difficult to tell the fear in his voice from the usual amount of nervousness he exhibits.

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse

NOS
    PRE

In the play of shadows and deeper darkness, her face is even more unsettling than usual.

”Yes, pride is dangerous,” Patience concurs. “Especially when it comes to such a delicate problem.”. But so is timidness. Will the Shadow have what it takes to see this through? Patience is not convinced that he does. But that, in itself, could prove opportune for the Haunt.

Then comes Derek’s confession. It seems he is not unaware of his own shortcomings. He displays an admirable degree of critical introspection in this regard. Not for the first time, Patience is surprised by the Reeve’s internal resources.

They’ve reached the edge of the river. Patience comes to a halt. The view across the water is uninspiring. Stunted trees line the opposite bank, and railroad tracks. There is the bike trail and, a little downriver, the Chevron terminal. Nothing of any real interest. But the sound of the water is soothing.

“The Lord tests us sorely. At every turn. You are not alone.” Patience’s voice is soft, she is speaking now from experience, staring out across the river. “We do what we must. And we ask for help when it is needed.” Is that an indication that Patience is inclined to provide assistance? Unclear.

She turns to face the Shadow. Her jaw works, bulges, appears to unhinge before cracking back into place. ”I found this place because there is a church a few blocks back. Horizon Church. Every Tuesday night, they have a meeting of Narcotics Anonymous.” Why should Patience know this? She doesn’t elaborate. “Men and women come because they have recognized their sin. They come to ask for help. Are you asking for my help, Reeve Mitnick?”

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

The timid Shadow does acknowledge the sight of their surroundings. More so when Patience mentions the nearby church, with Derek giving a wayward glance behind them. He then directs his attention to the flow of inky water reflecting the black underside of the highway above them.

"Perhaps," he answers, stuffing his hands in his hoodie pockets.

"But while I am willing to ask for help, I wish to be careful who it is I rely upon."

Derek faces her. He pulls something out from his pocket, gripping it in hand. His body tremors with an emotion resembling fear, his expression a grimace of contained panic.

"I would ask you to test me, Bishop, to see if I possess the will necessary. And in turn I would test you. You carry a means to defend yourself, don't you?"

His elbow tucks against his side while his other hand covers the hilt of...a knife that materializes from the shadows obscuring it. He looks poised to strike by his stance, or to flee, the direction unclear as of yet.

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse

(Activate Vigor)Vitae 1 Spent
    NOS
    PRE

The knife appears, magically, in the hand of the Shadow. Patience glances down at it, apparently unmoved. Save for her expression. Her gaze returns to his face and her lips pull back into a horrifying grin, all grey teeth. Her unblinking eyes widen with some terrible mockery of delight.

Finally, the Shadow is speaking her language.

”Because you and I,” she begins, arms crossing in front of her as she reaches into her coat on either side, “are now involved in a very intimate affair.” She draws two, very long and very sharp Bowie knives from their sheaths, “I will address you informally.” The blades are held at the ready, with an ease and familiarity that should frighten the Shadow, if he has any sense.

”Derek, I consent to your test.” The blood moves within her and Patience is filled with the Lord’s glorious strength.

”Are you ready?”

Shall we roll for initiative?

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Intimate? Yes, there was something intimate about this moment. Revealing vulnerability, exposure of intent. It is almost more terrifying than the prospect of being sliced to pieces tonight. He watches the blades being drawn from her coat and trepidation intensifies in him.

Eyes widen and fangs bear as the predator awakens in him as he prepares himself to attack this stronger Beast. It took all his will just to stand there without fleeing. Somehow he would have to find more within himself.

"Y.yes," Derek answers, his voice breaking.

Initiative 15
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-11 15:04:36 Derek Menzies rolls 1 die for initiative 8
    Hellz yeah!

11. Likes DeepSeas, Ruach, unlimited sink liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread