Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Cyberdragon

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    L
    Lina Moretti

"The weight is good for you. Builds character. Builds self-confidence. You were good at the job even before you took it on," she said, noting how effective he had been in his work for the Domain thus far. "And you've got good instincts, about all of it. The Harpy and I are fine. She has made her desire to work with our Order clear." If Prosper was satisfied, that said something. Whatever Rebecca Simmons had shelled out that had been enough for the socialite Gangrel to believe himself even enough with her that they could be honest with one another, that would do for Moretti as well. "But the fact that you would think to look and watch, and Kind too... good for you. I'm glad to hear it wasn't concerning. That gentleman is useful, even if he has interesting ideas about how much freedom he really has."

Most Carthians tended to, but that was fine. She didn't have any beef with the Movement.

His last point suggested to her that, as usual, Mitnick's instincts were pretty good. What had he gleaned? "Oh, yeah? Well. I'm curious to hear your assessment of what you see going on... student to mentor."

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Mentioning Seth's usefulness, Derek replies, "Yes, there does seem to be more to him. And he is still one of my Clan. I suppose I attended for his safety as much as for risk assessment. I may have bought into some of what my Sire had said about The Movement and brought with me some misconceptions. I intend to speak with him at some point to better understand his motivations."

At her question he seems fine to go right into it. "Well I certainly felt some tension upon my arrival. Deputy Krieg and the now Keeper Wood seemed to have earned the Prince's and your ire. That appears to have passed in part. There were many new arrivals including myself, a point of tension in itself. Though some who have done quite well for themselves. Deputy Prosper and Herald Jack for instance."

"And yet I always seem to be present when some upstart decides to disrespect Her Majesty. Mr. Exlibrist. [post=14426815Mr. Kind[/post]. [post=14427203Mr. Garcia[/post]. I can see Her patience being tested. Yet she chooses mercy rather than a show of force. The elders, Twist and York, seem to allow Her Grace to handle her own disputes, though I suspect they would step in if asked."

He folds his hands together, wringing them slightly. "I admit there is still much I am not aware of. Sometimes I wonder if I am simply being paranoid and perceiving threats that aren't there. But that just means it requires more data to verify. But that is simply my assessment of internal conflicts. External is a different story. The federal guns, the gangs, Echelon. In those cases I just try to handle the task given to me. I have yet to see the larger picture."

L
    Lina Moretti

"Your cousin should be watched, Mitnick, and perhaps groomed if he shows promise. He certainly was of use in that Pavo Loco situation. Just because he pisses the Invictus off doesn't actually make him a problem. That you attended is something you can use in the future to build camaraderie for a time when it sure wouldn't hurt to have another capable doer of shadowy deeds on our team," the Sheriff remarked, pointing out the clear opportunity that Derek had in his hands. So long as Seth Kind didn't talk himself into an early grave, he would need friends.

Hearing out his assessment, he had the right idea, even if his intelligence was dated. He was still working on it, still reading the room, still understanding and looking for what he was missing.

"You're walking smack-dab into the middle of it by joining a Covenant, Derek. Here's the deal. The Invictus are entrenched, but the Dragons are strong. We aren't looking to flip the table, but we're not down with psychopaths, which is why I called out Simmons when she was all about that torture in open Court, to make sure everyone knew I wasn't going to tolerate that shit -- that my office wasn't going to tolerate that shit. Simmons and me worked that out right quick, and the Prince yanked my Regency to make a point that she wants her Court quiet."

She paused, thinking it over, deciding what to share.

"But since then, there has been more and more unrest. People aren't happy about what Simmons was saying in Court, which you heard then and there. Some aren't happy about the Regency getting yanked. Others still are angry about stuff Alessandra has said and done in other places. Others still are mad about personal beefs. You saw the shit between Garcia and Jack -- who, for all his charm as far as the Prince is concerned, has still managed to piss people off. It's just a lot of riled Beasts, egos bruised, a lot of uncertainty."

Glancing over at the new Slave, she assessed how he seemed to be feeling about all of this...

2 sux to read how he's feeling about what she's telling him
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-05 01:20:53 Lina Moretti rolls 6 to Wits + Empathy on Mitnick (10 Again) 8, 2, 5, 3, 10, 2, 5 2 successes

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek makes no attempt to hide that he's accepting of the information that is presented to him, seeming to place a lot of trust in Lina's assessments. He seems worried about the power dynamics between the Dragons and Invictus, but everything makes sense to him. Considering their previous conversations on that matter, it all fits. The Prince's name being used seems to induce a flinch from the Shadow.

"Yes...a lot of uncertainty," he echoes thoughtfully. "Have you spoken to the Prince about these matters? Has she offered reassurances? Or is the matter of your Regency still a point of contention between you?"

L
    Lina Moretti

Lina chuckled. Did he not see what had happened? The world was a little topsy-turvy right now. "I called the Harpy out for saying some inhuman shit in open Court, the kind of thing the Invictus frowns upon and Harpies should be stepping on. Instead of the Prince taking the out I gave her and giving her Harpy a time-out, she exploded on me and acted like I was trying to challenge her Praxis, Derek. Do you think she's interested in offering anyone reassurances?" She shook her head. One did not simply just roll up on this Prince and express your concerns, not with the way she was doing things right now. Maybe in the past -- maybe again in the future -- but not now. "She's barely answering reports without being followed up on, and my effort to set a meeting went ignored, with no efforts on her part to meet with me -- and, between you and I? I bought that Regency in service and Prestation, for the Order's benefit. Things aren't working as they should be."

She glanced over at him, a serious look on her face. One didn't fuck with the way Prestation worked. When Prestation didn't work, the ties that bound Kindred to one another through commerce were fucked. Where did that leave you?

"And that point is between you, me and the Dragons. That's your first order from your Covenant head. Capiche? I'm not trying to rain shit down upon her for Boonbreaking, not until we've had the chance to talk things through and see if things can't get worked out."

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek's hands rise up to his head and grip his scalp as if to hold in the information she now presents to him. Now he saw just what she meant by walking into the smack-dab of it. "I...I had no idea...she's, Her Majesty is...but since my arrival, everyone's been...they said..."

He is panicked, feeling like he had been walking through a mine field and finding a warning sign at its center. "So there is a rivalry! Oh no, oh no...and now she'll see me as a threat too. No wonder...it all makes sense, the rising discontent, Her unwillingness to engage. She is growing distanced, detaching herself, just as my Sire did."

Had he run from one problem to another? And once this Prince had taken her slumber, what became of the rest of them? Where would the illusion of stability go?

He attempts to latch onto her final statement, taking it as a form of reassurance. "Okay...okay, um, I understand. I won't say a word. Perhaps she will still see reason... Perhaps we can hold things together until then..."

L
    Lina Moretti

Active listening. That was the key. Looking past the words, at the feelings, at the anxiety that was written all over this skittish Mekhet. As Depeche Mode once said? Feelings were intense. Words were trivial. She held up a hand gently, softened her tone. "You're gonna be okay, man. You're not alone. You've joined a crew of badass people who are real good at what they do, and whatever happens, we'll take care of it as a squad." Remind him he was part of something bigger, now, something that had endured centuries. The Ordo Dracul had seen Princes come and Princes go, and ever did it remain. "Maybe she gets better. Maybe she doesn't. Either way, the Dragon endures. You endure. We will find stability, or we will make it. It is a necessary condition for our Great Work, our studies to overcome the Curse, to happen effectively. You dig?"

3 sux to calm the skittish boi down
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-09 11:31:53 Lina Moretti rolls 11 to Calm doownnn... Manip + Emp + SL + Status (10 Again) 1, 3, 3, 3, 5, 2, 3, 9, 8, 3, 9 3 successes

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Perhaps it is the strangely human mannerisms and tone that help him to ignore the Beast behind them. But the rational, sensible and confident wording has the effect of subduing the inexperienced prey.

"Right. Right, yes. Of course. I, uh, dig it," he answers, forcing a weak smile and removing the hands from his head. "It just...surprised me. I suppose I will have to change my outlook going forward. I will strive to learn all I can so that I may be ready for whatever eventuality."

He looks outside, letting the moving terrain distract him. "Perhaps we may head back now? I believe a walk might help calm my nerves. And I have much to think on this evening."

L
    Lina Moretti

Lina considered the Mekhet for a long moment as he spoke, looking for signs of duplicity, of intention to backstab the Order that he was seeking to join...

2 sux to empathy up if there's any underlying backstabbiness
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-09 20:13:57 Lina Moretti rolls 6 to This boi giving off backstabby vibes? (Wits + Empathy) (10 Again) 10, 1, 9, 6, 2, 2, 7 2 successes

C
    Cross

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.