Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

Seth folded his legs, mirroring the Sheriff. She liked knives, he liked knives. He disliked authority, She probably disliked a specific authoritarian. They had SO much in common!
    Anything else?

L
    Lina Moretti

"Pointers?"

The Sheriff raised an eyebrow at the mercenary before her, curious to know what he wanted to know.

"What do you want to know? Usually, the kind of combat pointers I could give are taught on a training floor, not in Court - and rarely does that sort of instruction come free."

She folded her hands on her lap, awaiting the Mekhet's response.

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

The thief nodded at her words
    "My style relies on throwing knives, mostly. While it is effective, I've little experience in close combat. I was wondering if you did, and could instruct me in the matter? I understand quite clearly that such teaching would be grueling."

No joke there- Seth could hit a bullseye no problem- it was when the target got up close and personal that Seth had a problem. Seeing as how the sheriff always carried a knife (Seth had assumed that was the weapon of choice, and not, as might be the case, that even a sheriff couldn't carry a firearm), it seemed a fair bet. The style of the blade was very different to his thrown variants, as she'd explained last court.

"And I would never expect anything for free. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat strapped for funds at the moment- I don't suppose we could discuss other ways to repay such lessons?"

A favor. Seth didn't like giving them out freely, especially to authority. Luckily, the sheriff wasn't the kind Seth loathed it seemed- today's events had proven that.

"Perhaps I could teach you some aspects of my fighting styles as well?"
    Anything else?

L
    Lina Moretti

"Different styles for different situations. I get it. I throw as well." She'd thrown knives in practice as a well-rounded martial artist would, but it was never something that particularly excited her. She considered his question for a long moment. Did she actually have time to take on a martial arts student? And did she want to get that into her background with a mercenary?

For the right price, sure.

"I can, as you've said, little in life is free. Prestation is always an option. Basics are trivial, but as things get into more complicated and harder-to-find arts, I do have higher expectations for payment."

She noted Dirt Nap coming over and speaking to her, and held up a finger to address him and invite him to join them...

Dirt Nap did so in the main thread.

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

"Prestation... It's never as binding as a contract, is it? Granted it's not as if I can stop you from abusing such a favor. I'd be more than willing to offer my services in exchange for training... So long as we have an understand of how much this training is worth."

Seth would haggle for price of course.

"For the cost of physical training, my less lethal services are most certainly at your disposal. But my fangs are a different matter- unless you're willing to teach something else as well? I assure you, I can make it worth your while."
    Blood-powers. From what little he knew, many strands of Kindred had abilities in common. If someone were willing to teach Seth about his capabilities, help train him with them... Well, that someone would most assuredly be able to ask a high price indeed.

She'd use him, most likely. Seth expected the worst of Kindred on the best days. Still, if it made him stronger, he didn't mind playing the foolish pawn for a while...

Noting that someone wished to speak to her, Seth gave a gentle motion.
    "If you've other matters to attend, don't let me stop you. We've all night to discuss the finer points- or to set up a quieter space to do so."
    Anything else?

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap
    Dirt Nap Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods at the invitation, "Thank you, Ma'am, Sheriff Grand Wyrm Moretti. I always do appreciate the chance to learn a new thing or two." he says, joining them.

L
    Lina Moretti

For some reason, the way Dirt Nap felt the need to be obsequious here in open Court had drawn the Sheriff's attention, even though Seth was discussing business. Speaking every title at her after calling her ma'am, even after he may have said something to the Prince that had caused distrust between them - it made her wonder what the Gangrel was playing at. "One title is fine, Nap," she said evenly. A freebie for his learning a new thing or two. "You never struck me as a weapons guy. Expanding your repertoire?"

Returning her attention to Seth, she said, "Prestation is absolutely binding. A task is asked of you when it is called in. That task must be appropriate to the level of the boon - and all things Prestation are overseen by the Harpy, who is the ultimate enforcer and arbiter of it. But to deny a Boon called upon you that is appropriate is to ignore the system between Kindred that binds us in economics with one another... it is as binding as it can get, really, as it is supposed to be. People who owe someone important has value in that debt that they owe, and people who own boons have a reason to invest in the ongoing survival and success of those that owe them so that the value of the boons they hold rise."

Other items to be purchased made the situation quite a bit more complex. The gentleman seemed to be proposing a significant economic relationship, and that was the sort of thing best done in private.

"We should talk privately, Mr. Kind, later on about such arrangements. But tell me, what have you two been up to?"

A signal that they would speak later, but that it was time to return to topics more specific to the public.

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

At the talk of Prestation being binding, Seth could only grin

"enforced and overseen by the Harpy, eh? And when has that middleman ever complicated things."

Seth chuckled, referring to the events not but a few moments prior. Oh sure, the system probably worked fine... Right up until you needed it most, and then suddenly it didn't. Would these events remain in the Harpy's mind? And when the sheriff came to cash in but came up short, would the Harpy understand and do her job? Or would she think back on these events, and screw her over? Seth felt it was likely the latter.

"Regardless, I keep my end of bargains- whether they have some complicated middleman or not.... We should set aside time to discuss things. I'll leave it to you to set that up; you're probably much busier than I am."

As per the question of activity.

"Practicing my techniques, learning more about kindred... Scoping out potential targets to steal from. I'm thinking of getting back into painting."
    There were blood blanks, art stores, electronic shops... All fun targets that Mr. Kind was looking into.
    Anything else?

9. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap
    Dirt Nap Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods, listening and watching as first Lina Moretti speaks, providing direction and requesting information, and then as 'Mr.Kind' describes his way of dealing and what he's been up to.

"Yes, Ma'am, Grand Wyrm Moretti, thank you. You're right, I do generally try to keep things simple, travel light and handle things with hands first, or claws if necessary or maybe a rifle," he says. "Lately though, I've been thinking on the advantages of carrying some small, lightweight thing or two that could come in handy where something bigger or too 'showy' won't do." he 'explains'.

"Lately, I managed to learn the first little bits of hiding some small thing or another on my person, so that has me thinking of the possible options for having more than my hands to work with when there's lots of eyes around."

L
    Lina Moretti

Moretti stared at Kind, raising an eyebrow. How could a professional thief for Kindred interests not already know about Prestation?

"I'd call the complication positive. The middleman keeps people honest. And makes sure that enforcement mechanisms other than violence exist, which is sort of the whole idea of Kindred Court."

They played at aristocracy, to avoid the clash of Beasts and the rending of flesh that vampires got up to when there wasn't order and rules to play by. Giving a nod to his suggestion that they set aside a time to talk and smiling at his activities without further words, the Sheriff returned her attention to Dirt Nap.

"Bring a knife or something like that into a grapple. You don't need to spend years on practical weapons training when you've already got a hand to hand skill set. Easier to adapt what you already know."

At the news that he'd learned Obfuscate, Lina's eyebrows popped and her eyes widened in pleasant surprise.

"Good for you, man. I know you'd been working hard at that. There are weapons you could carry as punching aids. Katars or whatever?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread