Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Lonely Hearts Club

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    S
    Shodan

The Circle of Creation is empty, except for a certain mage walking to and fro to get some chairs together in a roughly round shape. Sacramento may not be the biggest city in the US, but it is big enough to realize the... limitations of one's connections. So, on the willworker front, that means creating a cabal of like-minded people.

Not to mention, with all the craziness going on recently, and definitely more to come, it's probably best to have folks at your side that give a shit if you're in trouble.

And so, the preparations were done. The note was posted. The space was primed for the meeting, as much as it could be. So Shodan sat, waiting.

Wondering who'd show up.

Langdon
    Doctorate
    Langdon

PRE

The note left some worries in Langdon. Cats, well cats have hair. But hair can be cleaned up. That name though... Langdon isn't exactly sure how serious the Libertine takes this sort of thing. Personally or as a Libertine even.

Still, before as a Cabal had been good. So Langdon walks into the Circle with a hint of trepidation.

3. Likes Xander liked this post
    S
    Shodan

Shodan sees the Mystagogue enter the Circle and smiles.

"Hey, Langdon!" he motions to one of the chairs "Have a seat, I figure we'll be here for quite a while. There's a lot to discuss..." or there will be if/when other people come in "You're about the note here, I take it? Don't worry, the name is a bad joke on my part. I would never-ever impose something like that before discussing it with my soon-to-be cabalmates. At length" He chuckles, but it's clear the Prime Mover is serious. Being in a group you don't even like the name of sucks.

"The cat is for real, though" A bit of a pause.

"Speaking of future cabalmates, I was kind of hoping for Abacus to show up. He's also Mysterium, I don't know if you've met him" Campanella said something about a Mystagogue get-together, so maybe they already have? "A sharp wit on that guy, too" A shade of the good first impression creeps its way into Shodan's voice

"And Kasterborous . He's kind of crazy, but he has insights, you know? I think he'd be a good addition to what's brewing" He smiles internally at the fascinating stuff sparked by Langdon's and Kaster's difference in temperament "And there are the others. Not sure if they'd be interested"

Pinging JonReeves and Hiver since they expressed interest in joining at some point. Others may jump in at their leisure. I'm taking things a bit slow until I'm certain of who wants to be here

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

Phyrex Capital had presented a certain kind of environment. One's worth was decided on the individual profits awarded to the company based on the analysis of the individual. The winning scheme won the day and to the victor went the spoils of Benedict's favor. Of course, Abacus knew Benedict's other Names because he took a direct approach to stocks and after he learned the truth of the Lie there wasn't much stopping him outside of the jaws of the Abyss. In the meandering present, he found the signs and symbols that pointed towards sublime success.

So what of Cabals? They supported one another in a way that his most memorable profession had no use for. But Abacus had a new outlook. One bound to a path of thistle and lunargent thorns. He was a new dog with old tricks. It was time to learn a new one.

"Got your note."
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

6. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    K
    Kasterborous

At his arrival the sound of the wind echoes through the Circle, the sound of cloister bells can be heard from the Clock chiming the hour, ending with the echoed bang of the buildings large door closing. Perhaps sounding like an advanced time cylinder materializing.

Kasterborous enters the room wearing sunglasses. "Excuse me, is this where the Tournament of Cards is being held. I saw this note. I'm more of a Bridge player I must warn you. And about the cats. Are they ginger?"

Presence
    (Eager)
    Striking Looks
    (Willful)
    Cosmo

Nimbus

A halo of white fire burns around his head.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Cosmo once again entered the Circle in a black suit ready to do business. He didn't feel the need to join a cabal, but couldn't deny how much easier it was to live in a city when you had a roof over your head and like minded people to share it with. With that thought in mind his eyes darted between the mages as they began to assemble, doing his best to let past reservations stay there.

"Hello." Cosmos smiled as he claimed one of the seats Shodan had prepared for the group. "This is the place to cabal up right?"

S
    Shodan

"Abacus and Kaster! I was just talking about you!" The Prime Mover looks positively jubilant "Cards? Oh, no, I meant solitaires as in mages flying solo. And no, Gremlin - my cat - is black-white. Sorry to disappoint" He flashes a smile at the Acanthus.

"Oh Cosmo, hey man!" He waves to the mage that entered the Circle last "Five of us. Good" Shodan adds and pulls out his laptop, then flips it open. If anyone looks, he'll see a document with a rough agenda of the meeting - meet and greet, themes, roles, sanctum and the like. All the nitty-gritty cabal stuff "So"

He looks up at the others.

"The way I see it, we don't know one another that well and if we're going to be a cabal and not just a bunch of guys that bunk together, we should remedy that. I'm not saying: dump our biographies here, but - a little. Also, what we are good at. What we want to be better at. And what we want this group to be. So, I'll start. You all know my name, Order and Path, so I'll skip that. Sleepers know me as Adam Warwick. I'm a Disciple of Forces, an Apprentice of Prime and Matter and an Initiate of Mind. Worked for a couple of years as a CISO for a tech company is Silicon Valley. I'd tell you which one, but there's a super-sized NDA that says I can't. What I can tell you, however, is that Elon Musk is an asshole" He grins at the joke "Give me anything from a car, to a computer to a nuclear bomb and I'll make it dance for you. I'm also interested in the theoretical side of things, especially physics. Plus, I like people, and have a knack for understanding what they mean. However, since I skipped most 'magic 101' classes, the occult and humanities kind of... escape me? So, that's what I'd like to learn first"

Part one done. Two to go "My super lofty goal would be to digitalize the Awakened mind. Combine magic with quantum computing, see if it can make us more in control of our souls and bodies. But that's a long way away"

And lastly "What I... envisioned this cabal to be is two things: first, as a place where ideas and assumptions can be looked upon, discussed and adjusted. A debate club to - internally and with other people, outside of our little group - talk about things without walking on eggshels, or fearing party lines. We could talk about science, magic, current Consilium policy, philosophy, you name it - and in time, I'm sure people will learn to value our voice" A pause "Secondly, I figured this can be an opportunity to store and spread knowledge. There are definitely things I can learn from you, there are probably some things you can learn from me. Additionally, I figure our collective area of expertise is so wide that we could school this Consilium for years to come, not to mention help it with whatever mundane and magical strangeness comes its way"

There, all done. For now "Thoughts?"

Forgive me for posting ahead of order, just thought I'll jumpstart the conversation

K
    Kasterborous

Kasterborous listened to the words of the host. "Flight? Perhaps, but only with wings. Gremlin? Let me guess you didn't read the warning label and fed it after midnight. Don't worry about it, though pesky, I'm sure it will be a good familiar."

"Wait, you want to do what? Upgrade the mind with machines? You want to become a.... cyberman? That's a bit dangerous. What would you do when your tech becomes obsolete? Assimilate and upgrade again? I think I will stick with good ole flesh and blood... I'm not a vampire by saying that."

"Your idea of a group of brains," pointing to everyone in the room. "Now that I support. Call us the Think Tank, I'm in."

Now to introductions. "Time and Space is my forte. I teach theoretical physics at one of the local schools under the name Pete Beckett. Quantum phenomenon is my particular fascination. I am a second-degree disciple of Space and Time and an Initiate of Fate."

Langdon
    Doctorate
    Langdon

PRE

Relief floods Langdon's face as Shodan lets him know it was a joke. "I mean I wasn't completely sure if you were joking or not.." A weary smile spreads across the Moros's face. Though it would be fun to see the looks on people's faces.

"Another? Good good, we can always use more people in this town." Clearly people in this case means Mystagogues. A wave is thrown towards the arriving mages.

"Don't feed it after midnight." Langdon says quietly with a grin as the cat's name is echo'd Kaster.

"I like the cabal idea, theme. And I think he's thinking more along the lines of uploading?" The question is directed towards Kaster. "It would be a tad safer then trying to cyborg people....if it's possible. I ah don't know honestly there. My specialty is comparative religions. Specifically the symbolism across religions of different cultures.

Within our culture I am an Adept of Matter, Initiate of Death, and Apprentice of Space. Additionally I forged my soul a few years back. On my own time I look for places where our world has cracks in it."
    A hand waves as Langdon indicates the grey glyph slicing through reality around his person.

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

“You’re right. He is an asshole. You should see what he does with his net worth when he isn’t launching things into space."

"I'm an accountant by trade. Forensics, mostly. I can keep us floating while you play with your toys. Money is an object. But you won't have to worry about it as far as I am concerned."

Abacus kept his hands in his coat pocket, fiddling with the set of loaded dice in his pocket. He rolled them between his fingers. He practiced his words in his head before he said them. He wanted all of his ducks in a raw before presenting himself fully to this menagerie.

“Sounds Socratic. It’s a bit naïve and idealistic. But then again, you’re a Libertine, you run on Big Ideas.”

“But I am considerably more interested in your consciousness experiment. There are a lot of ways to go about it and several confounds that require careful thought and consideration.”

“But what do I know? I’m a Savant specializing in cliodynamics, arithmancy, and psychohistory. I use numbers to contextualize the Mysteries in such a way that I can calculate probabilities to just shy of point-zero-zero-one percent confidence. While there are questions I cannot answer, they are scores of variables that I can account for. It’s a package deal as an Apprentice in Fate and Time. I dabble in Mind and Matter for the rest.”
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 19

You do not have permission to view the list of names.