Ended
Watch

Two Sacramento Knights

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    J
    John Davis

Step back in time to an era of Steamboats and Cotton. The Delta King doesn't plow the waters of the Sacramento anymore. Instead, the majestic sister ship to the Delta Queen is permanently moored in Old Sacramento, a testament of times not forgotten. The is a Theatre, Restaurant, Event Services, and a master suite fit for an Admiral..... or in this case of this evening a Southern Colonel entertaining guests.

J
    John Davis

Davis relaxed in the Pilot House turned Captain's Suite of the Delta King. He could make the place his permanently if he wanted. As is.... it was the perfect place to hold private meetings during the times the room was vacant, which was often during the wedding offseason. Tonight he would meet another fellow Knight of the Invictus. Tonight he would try and secure an alliance and partnership leading toward a goal of forming a martial guild.

J
    Julian Durand

Julian arrived while the evening was still young, and was dressed far more casually than he had been at Court. Dark blue jeans, and an olive green t-shirt underneath a loose fitting leather jacket. His bowie knife sheathed and concealed across the small of his back - obfuscated to avoid mortal attention.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-12-07 20:00:12 Julian rolls 5 to Touch of Shadow on Bowie knife (10 Again) 1, 6, 2, 9, 5 1 success

As instructed, the Haunt had informed the steward that he was here to see 'the Colonel'; and was subsequently directed up to the Captain's Suite. He knocked once, politely announcing his presence, before opening the door and stepping inside.

"Good evening, Colonel" remarked the Haunt as he entered, unsure whether the room was secure enough to speak openly. The usual passive smile lay draped across his lips, even as his Curse twisted and warped his words "I trust this night finds you well?" His eyes flickered around the room instinctively, taking in the immediate surroundings of the Captain's Suite.

J
    John Davis

Davis stood on the upper level opposite the wheel staring out at the Sacramento Skyline. He was wearing his usual gambler attire.

"Sir Durand, I presume. It is ever most delightful for you to join me. Please do come in."

Davis could not feel the man's beast, which was yet another gift of the Nosferatu, he sought to learn in his efforts to combat his dwindling social presence in his rapid decline toward revanancy.

J
    Julian Durand

"Thank for the invitation, Sir, and my apologies for having to dash from our conversation the other evening. I'm afraid the night got away from me."

He could feel the Knight's potent blood as he entered the room. Julian forced the primal fear down; that part of the lizard brain that screamed at him to flee. Instead, he walked slowly towards the Daeva, each step measured. He brushed his hand across the furniture as he moved across the room, feeling the texture and grain with his dead flesh.

"I believe we were discussing our preferences, as they were?" Julian, of course, had already stated his.

J
    John Davis

Davis turned, placing his hands on the wheel he looked down at the kindred before him. His beast momentarily rising as Durand manhandled "his" furniture.

"Ah yes we were." Davis descended the stairs to greet Durand properly. "Pistols," Davis answered matter of factly. "It is well known that Knights of my order prefer the sword, but in modern nights, such cutlery has proven useful in matters of honor, ritual combat if you will, not actual strategic matters."

Gesturing to one of the plush chairs, "Please, sit and let us speak more of such things."

J
    Julian Durand

The passive smile never left the Haunt's lips as he sunk into the plush chair. His tone was polite, friendly even, as he addressed the Daeva.

"Do you prefer any particular make of pistol? I must admit, firearms have never been a speciality of mine; the Order was mostly engaged beneath the city. Close range, tight quarters - so we preferenced knives and short swords. Some of our younger Soldiers used shotguns, but the noise was always a liability. If you were unlucky, the echo could bring a nest down on you. Messy business, that."

He paused a moment, leaning back into the chair, before continuing. He was sure the Knight of the Thorned Wreath had more than his share of war stories to swap.

"The nights have been interesting lately, Sir Davis. Do you recall how we were speaking of the Order of Avernus, back in Court? As it happens, I ran into one of the senior Knights, just outside the city limits, a few nights back. Very fortuitous, I wasn't sure if any had survived to oversee my Vows." A small flicker of pride flared behind the Haunt's hazel eyes.

J
    John Davis

Davis took a seat next to the Haunt and listened as he spoke. Absorbing every word. Reaching to a box on an end table between the chairs, Davis opened it to reveal a cache of foreign cigars. "Care for one?" Davis asked offering his guest a premium stogie from Cuba.

Davis retrieves one for himself and takes care in lighting it. For a moment his beast recoils but is quickly put at ease once the fire is extinguished.

"A Kindred of my age tends to favor the familiar. I have a personal set of dueling irons that have served me for well over a century. Though I will admit a growing curiosity in more modern armaments. And I am not totally ignorant in handling a sharp razor like the ones you prefer."

Davis takes a long drag on his cigar before responding to Durand's question and comments. "I do recall such words spoken and interesting. Outside the city you say? How far out? I only ask because I have been here a while and no such Knight has presented himself before the Prince for acknowledgment."

J
    Julian Durand

The Haunt shakes his head slightly, before politely declining the offered cigar "Thank you for the kind offer, Sir Davis, but I'm not a smoker myself". He clenched his jaw as the flame ignited, biting down on the instinctive fear; he'd never understood the fascination some Kindred had for smoking.

"Fair enough. I feel curiosity is a healthy trait. It keeps us sane, and up to date as it were. You know, I've actually been mulling over this as a dilemma, recently. I'd welcome the thoughts of a Knight of your illustrious order."

The Haunt paused a moment, considering how to frame his thoughts "I'm quite proficient with the, 'sharp razors', as you put it; but I agree that there is a lack of tactical flexibility. When we are this far apart..." he remarked, gesturing with his hand to the space between the two chairs "...I'm in my element. But if a target is across the room, or in the building next door? I've seen our kind use throwing knives to great effect; let alone guns, or the humble bow and arrow. Alternatively, I could double down on my strengths, and just focus on learning how to move faster from A to B." Julian concluded with a shrug, and his usual lazy smile. He'd been mulling it over for the last few months, something to keep his mind off of Philadelphia, but this was the first time he'd tried to bounce it off of someone else. It felt good to talk shop again, and he felt it was a astute way to break the ice.

"We met at Willow Point. It was a fair trek out of the city, but that would have been deliberate. Hard to cover your tracks if your making formal presentations in every major city. The Order scattered after Philadelphia; so he'll have his work cut out for him trying to track any others down. I was easy, he knew I'd spent time in this Domain before, must have figured I'd beeline it back here."

Julian leaned forward slightly, before continuing "When we last spoke, you mentioned that you thought that there might be lot we could learn from each other. Was there anything in particular you had in mind?"

J
    John Davis

Listening to Durand's quandary, Davis recalled the sloppy work he did against Moretti. "Why sir, it does most obviously sound as if you seek the gifts of alacrity. A skill I myself have continued to endeavor to improve upon. Perhaps I can assist increase your ability."

Taking this moment to demonstrate his ability, Davis attempts to make his cigar vanish.

Date Action Roll Result
    2018-12-08 13:54:06 John Davis rolls 6 to TOS Cigar (Wits + Larceny + Obfuscate) (10 Again) 7, 4, 6, 2, 5, 3 failure

"Please let me know if the cigar bothers you and I shall put it out."

In response to the Willow Point Meeting, Davis responds, "I see. Yes, I also understand. I too spent a considerable time as a nomad. For a time I was known among many domains as the Alder Colonel John Jefferson Davis Esquire; Vantcourier, Pursuivant, and Amicus Curae for the Right Honorable Southern Lords; Eldest Child of Sir Jean-Christophe Trudeau, Knight of the Most Honorable Order of the Thorned Wreath. Perhaps you have heard of the Southern Lords. A web of Invictus Princes and Inner Circles spanning the southern U.S.?"

Returning to Durand's closing question. "Hmm, yes... I did speak those words. An assessment I firmly, I say firmly hold to. Lone knights are rarely effective. Ronins of their trade. No, in order to be successful, Knights must cooperate. You need Alacrity.... I sir, need to vanish..." Sensing that his first attempt might have failed, noticing Durand's eyes occasionally eyeing the embers on the tip of the cigar.

Date Action Roll Result
    2018-12-08 13:58:49 John Davis rolls 6 to TOS Cigar (Wits + Larceny + Obfuscate) (10 Again) 6, 7, 9, 9, 8, 8 4 successes

"The extent of my ability is reduced to small objects, but I understand there are more advanced skills along that path. Perhaps we can reach some accord in exchange. I will admit that I would personally enjoy a collaboration in forming a martial guild so that both you and I and any recruits we may pick up, can hone our skills both up close and afar so that we can better protect our Invictus domain. It does suffer from many threats both internal and external. It has been the cause for many concerns and causes myself much worry for the future of the First Estate here in Sacramento."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 10

You do not have permission to view the list of names.