Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Penance's Wrath, Penance's Fear

THREADID
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.

0 Scenes

The Summer's had arranged a time and a place, to introduce Penance to the Court of Wrath. Sitting in the High Striker, She knew Circe and Penance would show any moment. She hadn't really seen Penance much, outside of a game of beer pong. That did not matter in the least to her. It wasn't like Penance joining Summer, was a decision Circe or Blink could or would make. Ultimately it was up to Penance. All Circe and Blink could do, was guide her in the process...in a process that would change her very nature of being...

Penance marched off to their designated meeting spot, A pleasant enough place and with not too many people about. Worked stopped for no man, heaven forbid the corporate overlords here lose a day's worth of pay.

Perhaps a bit contrary to the heat of the day, Penance had chosen a militaristic uniform, a long sleeved army green button down with exaggerated shoulders and a matching pair of cargo pants. Perhaps a bit hot for this time, but it was an outfit she truly felt comfortable in. Much less comfortable for her was wearing her own skin, as this was a rare time where didn't have her mask up. This was intended to be a pretty special day, no time for false faces. Her compatriots should see her as she was at least once. Still... not seeing her own Mask made her feel vulnerable. Her crimson skin stood out too much from her uniform. Her talons were too long to shove in her pockets clacked together with every movement. Her toothy maw made her feel like she was smiling like an idiot. There were too many people and it felt like everyone was either gawking at her for being weird or scowling at her for looking evil.

Finding Blink under a tree felt like a relief because at least she was among her own again.

"Hello. How are you today?"

Blink gave a wave, smile and greeting "Sup." She shifted her sitting style, moving to a lotus. It wasn't as if each foot was resting on her opposite thigh, it was much more relaxed. "I'm sure Circe is going to be along any moment." Blink said as she playfully looked around suspiciously.

Penance looked fierce, but it did not seem to deter Blink in the least. The fairest had seen such variety and also had the painful opportunity of getting ripped apart with more fearsome claws and fangs. Still, Blink was oblivious to body language Penance spoke.

"Come, sit." With a wave of her hand she offered a seat in the grass underneath the shade of a tree.

"Ya know..."

"All of the seasons deal with their once upon a time differently. Desire...Fear...Sorrow...Anger."
    Blink gave a shrug of her shoulders. "For me it is anger. Sure there are other feelings floating around, but at the end of the day anger wins for me."

"Also, this decision doesn't belong to the Queen or I."
    Blink shook her head softly. "Whether you join the Crimson Court is entirely up to you. You do not need our blessings, but we will be here to help you with your decision."

"Desire..."

"Anger..."

"Fear..."

"Sorrow..."

"What do you feel most intensely?"

Circe is in civies today. That is no business suit, looking for all the world like a woman out for a jog. Albeit one with the jacket unzipped of course. She walks directly towards her current and prospective courtier, giving a nod of acknowledgement as she joins them. "Ah grand ta see everyone is," she spots Penance without her mask, "here. Huh," she walks up to Penance.

Circe stares at the exposed skin of Penance's right hand. She pulls up the sleeve on her right arm and looks at it. Then back to Penance. Then back to her. She giggles, "Blueberry and cherry. A sign that today will be fruitful?" She jests cheerfully as she looks to Blink, "We are already started, yes?"

Penance kneels and sits on her knees next to Blink. It's a nice spot, the shade of the tree helps with the heat of the day. She finds herself watching Blink's undulating pattern of tattoos while listening to her. The question is... interesting, partially because her feelings on the matter are a little mixed. And saying anything besides Anger seemed contrary, since why else would she be here?

Circe's arrival gives her a moment to think and she offers her a friendly wave. Of course, any relief she felt was muted as Circe seemed to begin examining her. She found herself holding her breath in hopes the Summer Queen didn't react too strongly to her appearance. ...Ok, just a joke. She puts on a small smile.

"Ah, yes, it will be nice if this day is full of fruit." Of course she wasn't worried about it, why should she be? She was only the reigning queen of Sacramento and there was far scarier stuff in the Hedge and beyond than herself. She shouldn't have worried herself.

Though now that she had time to think... Circe probably wouldn't like to hear this. She prepped the blue-skinned Fairest with an apologetic smile that felt too big.

"Then this will not sound good for me. It is complicated, but I feel full of Fear. Not of Them. They are scary and cruel and foreign, but my fear is not for them. It is for me. Of me."

She began tracing a circle in the dirt. Her claw left deep divots in the ground.

"I should explain. I was a monster before Arcadia. I was not taken like others. I chased a man who was like us before I knew who us were. Just one victim of many. He led me into The Hedge and one of the Gentry found me. She put me in her army. I was a perfect fit. I didn't know what I had become until it was too late."

Somehow the circle had turned into stick figure of herself. Terribly inaccurate, but still her. She grimaced at her handiwork and scratched it out of existence.

"She made me a monster. But she never forced me to kill. That was my choice. Now my outside matches my inside. I try not to be that girl no more. But I fear I will become her again. She is not dead, only buried."

She offered the pair another apologetic smile.

"It does not say 'angry' much, does it?"

Blink shook her head. "That is fine." She clasped her hands together. "Look, not all Summer's are Summer because they feel nothing but anger or rage. Some do it because they understand anger...and others do it because they want to prevent it." Blink gave a soft shrug of her shoulders.

"Honestly, fear seems to be your thing. Maybe something that you need to understand better." Blink glanced up to the branches above. "Don't get me wrong, we would love to have you, but I think it is best that you find a place you understand...a place that resonates better."

Blink leaned forward, popping a phone out of her pocket. "I think we need an Autumn here." She says as she glances down to the screen, going to work. "Would that be fine with you Penance?"

Circe smiles as she leans against the tree, glad that Penance is at least not too uptight about this. Frowning, her eyes did narrow at the mention that Penance was one of those hunters. The mortals that killed things that went bump in the night. She'd had her own fell past, but being a rich bitch criminal might not compare much.

Oh she was certain that her actions had resulted in at least a few boys getting beaten, maybe even killed, but not by her hands directly. The Family was quite protective.

Circe tried to recall a few details about the Summer Court's ideals.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-08-14 10:01:04 Someone rolls 6 to do something insignificant (10 Again) 1, 8, 4, 5, 1, 3 1 success

When next the Summer Queen speaks the joviality is gone. Somber has replaced it, "Ya have a lot of willpower there Penance. Ta resist temptation. Ta defy what that Fey bitch made ya. Ta do the right thing," Circe chuckles as she holds up her right hand. All the digits are extended, "Those are aspects of Summer too." she begins curling fingers as she says a sentence,"Resolve. Defiance of the enemy. Martial skill. Protecting the Freehold from ANY threat," only the index finger is up and she points at Penance, "Sounds a bit like ya to me. But," she lowers her hand, "if'n yer inta the fear then maybe Blink is right. We should bring more scary here."

Circe stands up straight from the tree, "Though as Blink said, and I think I did to at the coronation," she jerks a thumb over her shoulder, "Wrath don't hafta mean berserker. Summer is the go to for fighters. Like us," she points at Blink with her left hand and herself with the right, "But always angry? Nah. Just ask around the 'hold," Circe waves with both arms in a sweeping motion as she laughs, "Ya'll be hard pressed ta find anybody that describes me as angry, no that's club speak, uh, rage filled." Circe eyes Penance, trying to judge how her words are being taken by the red skinned woman.

After this pause the blue Fairest smiles as she decides she has been too serious for her reputation, "I am totally givin' ya a sales pitch here. I am absolutely actively tryin' ta recruit ya. Sadly I can't offer a free Lamborghini with Summer membership," she pouts, "Offerin' a free weapon is possible but such a common practice, right Blink?"

Circe's frown did not go unnoticed, though she couldn't fault her for it. Even by their own strange version of standards, her past was pretty reprehensible.

"No. I understand that. You two do not seem to be angry either. We were, how you say, the most chilly at your own party."
    The Corpsegrinder nodded along to Circe's sentiments. She understood what she was saying, even if she still looked a bit conflicted on how well she would fit. "Anger is just not how I feel about Arcadia. Summer just sounds good because I want to protect us. I am not good at much. I am not too smart and used to be more of a people person than I am now. But I can fight. It was what I was made for. I worry I might enjoy it too much, but it is all I know. You offered me the chance to join and it is the most logical choice. I fight, so I should be in the Court about fighting."

Despite her statements, she seems to grow less and less sure about herself as she continues talking. By the end, she sounds like she's trying to convince herself as much she trying to convince the two Summers.

"Perhaps an Autumn would be good. It cannot hurt to talk to one, yes?"

Blink gave a carefree shrug as she looked at Circe. "We may not have the numbers in Summer, but at least we have the best Queen and Knight."

With that Blink starred off into space, watching a leaf on the ground. After a moment, she glanced up to Penance. "All the Courts have that one emotion that is near and dear. That doesn't mean that they don't give in to other emotions. You saw the anger that some of the Autumn's had."

Blinks hand drifted up, showing the fey-like tattoo that glowed orange. "I was hunted. Each one of these, represents a time that I was caught and torn apart." Her body was literally covered in tattoos. "My fight or flight from fear is fight." Her hand shifted, show-casing Penance's features. "You shouldn't run from this. You can't change the past and this fear and doubt is silly."

Blink's hand dropped back down to her side. "You are afraid of becoming like you were, but that fear and doubt is exactly what will keep you from ever going back to that."

"I'm not sure what emotions were playing around in your head when you did all those things, but you need to feel them again." She said with a nod of her head. "You will never be able to go back, never be able to be that person, but if you are afraid of feeling that way again...the best way to conquor it is to feel that way again and see that it isn't the same now." The fairest realized she was probably rambling and not making much sense.

"Honestly, taking the plunge into Summer or into Autumn, is not a permenant thing. If you go there and explore, you may find that it does not fit. You may find that you grow past it in time and something new resonates in you."

"For me, it will always be anger."

Circe grinned right back at Blink, "I ain't knighted ya yet Blink." Then walked right over to Blink and put a hand on each shoulder, "Ya are knighted. There we go," she chuckles as she steps back.

"And courage too,"
    Circe adds when Blink insists fear and doubt will hod Penance back from falling, "Lots of sage advice for ya Penance is coming form Blink. But ya seem ta forget the one positive trait yer tale implied ya always had. Yer courage." Circe shakes her head at the talk of one's past, "Sorry ta say my own experience went a different way. I wasn't exactly a planned asset or paid much attention by the one that took me. I was a bonus it picked up and left its minions ta work on as a thief. I got its attention from picking its pocket," she shrugs with a bitter laugh, "Stupid as fuck right? Took my voice for mouthin' off. Hence why I talk a lot. I dodged a lot of the shit they tried ta put me through but not all. I'm amazed the Chirurgeons kept managing ta reattach my fingers and ears." a shudder goes through her at the bad memories. Then she starts to laugh. Bitter at first then a little lighter, "Ya wanna know what the first thing I said when I got my voice back? Called her a stupid bitch ta her face," two blue fists are raised up with the thumbs going up, "Courage. And dodging fireballs, but courage. Its a good trait for a Summer ta have. I get pissed off sure but mine is a cold fire that I use ta do shit. Courage I got in spades."

After a moment Circe added, "Plus I'm kinda in a good mood when I'm angry at shit. Being afraid pisses me off and hidin' is kinda boring. But that's just me." Circe walks up to Penance, "But ya don't need ta worry about not choosing Summer. I ain't like the assholes in the Bay. Fact I think what would they do then don't. But yer a fellow fighter. Ta me ya have my favor and since I got the crown that mean's Summer's favor too," Circe smiles widely, "Ya have my offer of the Goodwill of Summer if ya are wilin' ta accept even if ya pick another Court. I just ask that if ya go the whole juju route that ya don't be the," Circe brings up her right hand to make a grasping motion to air, "Squishy kind but the type that does the whole spell and sword in accord. Or guns." the elf makes a pistol with her right hand. Her tone is entirely jovial now, "I am still totally offering a freebie gun bribe if ya wanna join Summer. Or a sword, axe, whatever I can probably find it."

The Ogress winced as Blink revealed the reasoning behind her tattoos. That was A LOT of times to be torn apart. And it seemed Circe had a similar story. Maybe it was a Fairest thing? Her Keeper wasn't much for patching people up or providing much of anything.

"I do not wish to upset you, but if my fear is what keeps me from returning to old habits, it sounds like I should embrace Fear."

Circe's story provided an interesting different take. Far different from her time in a constant war, but it seemed the spark of Summer had always dwelled within her. Perhaps it was no wonder she was the Queen now.

"I would not call what I did courage. I was never fighting for something. Just for the thrill of it. ...Though I suppose my escape may have been full of courage. I had to flee, but to think as much was alien. Wrong. There is courage in running away, yes?"

She reclined back and folded her claws behind her head, but she felt surprisingly relieved.

"I am sorry if I do not think I belong in Summer anymore. But I appreesh... I am glad I could talk with you. I will accept your Goodwill, Queen Circe... and a weapon too. A club, if I can. Maybe a police stick? It is simple, but effective. Not as scary looking as a sword, but can break bone and stone." She turns her head to between the two ladies.

"I do not know how well I will fit in Autumn. They are magic focused, yes? Witches and warlocks. I do not think I fit with magic. But they probably need some muscle, yes? Wolfgang does not look strong. Luci... Luci is very beautiful. But I think she is mostly talk."

Blink gave a soft nod. "Well I texted Rhodes." With that, she glanced back down to her phone and texted a bit more. "He should be along soon enough and maybe he can explain their deal a bit better." After she shot the text back out she glanced back to Penance. "Ya honestly, no hard feelings. I think more than anything we each need a place to belong. I'm sure the other Courts need their fighters too." Blink said with a shrug.

"Anywho...it is all good." She said with a smile.

Courage in running away? "Yeah sure, bailing is the better part of valor. Buuuuut," the elf hold up a blue hand with the index finger up, "Freebies is for Summers. Freeholders get a discount. Tonfa would be like," Circe starts counting with her fingers. The gun runner could easily afford it so she is just putting on an act. "Like ten bucks. Or coffee and a slice of pie, whatevs." Circe giggles, "But having a Summer Mantle or Wyrd acknowledge favor from yers truly does help in other ways too. Contracts and a standing offer Penance. We're good but if ya ever feel ya no longer need to fear losin' yer fear it is a offer ta join Summer."

"Yeah that is fair Blink, I always did adore that old saying." She smiles widely, "Make war not love. Great sayin' that. Don't see why ya can't do both but that's just me. Oh and Blink. Were ya wantin' anything for yerself?" Red eyes stare at Blink in genuine curiosity. "Shoota, choppa, basher, stabber, hunter slingshot? Yeah," she looks over at Penance with a massive grin, "Those are totally a real thing. For like squirrel hunting or something." Circe shakes her head as she felt there were some pretty messed up people out there to go hunting with a slingshot. And after cute critters no less.

It takes Rhodes about half an hour to make it to Funderland. I really need to find an apartment closer to here. Or carve out a Hollow nearby. He strolls through the gates and over towards the High Striker, catching sight of the girl with the fire tattoos, the demon-like Ogre, and the blueberry tinted Summer Queen. He casts an eye around to ensure they won't be overheard before greeting them.

"Good afternoon Queen Circe, Ladies," he says cheerily, inclining his head to the Monarch of the Iron Spear. "I hear one of you has an interest in the Leaden Mirror. And unless some very big changes have happened, the most likely would be..." He looks at Circe and Blink before settling on Penance, "you. Have we... met?" He squints a little at the Red ogre. "Wait an minute... Penance, right? It's the eyes." He gestures to his own eyes, and smiles, leaning in conspiratorially. "I must say, the red is rather fetching." His Mantle breezes strongly through the warm summer afternoon, kicking up some tiny golden leaves from nowhere.

The Autumn Courtier watches Penance amiably. "So. What is it that interests you in my Court? What is it you want to know?"

The Chinese immigrant looks away as Rhodes searches over them, momentarily confused by her appearance. It was only natural, she had kinda avoided meeting him at the coronation, but she had seen him. She hadn't been prepared to show her Mien to him. It felt personal and him seeing her like this an invasion of privacy, even though by all rights its what most Changelings were recognized by. His mention of her coloration only causes her to try and draw her sleeve further down across her hand.

"Yes. I am sorry to have called you out her. ...Err, Blink asked me how I felt about my Durance and I feel Fear. And the more I thought about it, the more it sounded right. Its... a strange fear. Fear of myself because..." she looked between the other two ladies assembled. She'd already said her peace, she didn't feel like saying it all over again. And even if she was considering his Court... she wasn't ready to share so much with him yet. "I will be short and say I used to be a violent criminal and Arcadia only made it worse and I am scared of becoming that person again."

"But I am made to fight. It is what I am good at. I was told Autumn is about magic. It is an odd take on Fear and I do not know if I am a good fit for Autumn."

Rhodes waves away the apology. "Nothing to apologise for. Choosing a Court requires us to know ourselves, but it also needs us to know what that court represents."

He watches Penance, trying to gauge her reactions. Violent criminal? Clearly there was more, but this was effectively their first meeting. This was not the time to press further. "There are many sides to Fear, just as with all the emotions the courts resonate. There is the intimidating, the threatening, the unknown. The Fear of what we may become is no less valid." The Fairest puts his hands in his pockets casually. "Fear is borne of survival. To become Autumn is to embrace those fears - accept that they are a part of us, draw on them and learn from them."

He pauses, thinking of the things Penance mentioned. "There are parallels between all the Courts if you look hard enough. Summer and Autumn both refuse to ignore what happened in our Durances. We both find ways of fighting back, ensuring our freedom and the freedom of others, mortal and changeling alike. Autumn does have an interest the magics we learned in Arcadia, but also anything we can learn from. We investigate, explore, find what knowledge we can - all to help out kin. A Summer who studies contracts and ambushes is similar to an Autumn that learns to fight well."

Rhodes smiles. "I would be more than happy to induct you into Autumn - knowing and holding your fears certainly sounds Autumn to me. But ultimately, what matters is what you want, and what feels right for you. You could think it over, of course. These things should not be rushed."

"Rhodes! Great ta see yer scary face here," she side steps up to stand beside Penance. Circe gives the Courtless a, very obvious, stage whisper, "That's club speak fer Autumn," before sidestepping back with equal exaggeration. "Welcome ta the counsel of uh, ualunque cazzo sia."

When Rhodes asked if he'd met Penance, the blueberry elf has a massive grin on her face as she rapidly nods her head.

Circe then pouted at then mention of Penance's coloration. "Such a shame," she quietly muses beside Blink, "I mean, my blue and her red would've been a stunning combination. But I ain't gonna bar Penance's free will." As for Rhodes explanation, Circe waited for him to finish. Then she spoke her own piece, "It is a great point Rhodes is making. Courts sometimes get along. Summer and Autumn tend ta be the duo most often gettin' along. All courts resist Them, but how and result are often different. Summer and Autumn? We get similar results. Studyin' ta forge a magical ax or fireball ta throw in Their face still has the same end result. Killin' Them by hittin' 'em in the face. Personally I prefer goin' fer the back o' Their head."

Blink offered a nod to Rhodes, but felt best to let Rhodes and Penance discuss things. She wondered if it would be best for Penance to taste in all the emotions, harvesting desire, anger, fear, and sorrow; still she seemed to be particularly set on the whole fear thing. While Blink never thought she could be anything other than Summer, she knew her pledging to any of the four, wasn't a permenant thing. Hell, she knew sometimes people burned out and changed...and other stuff started...eh I'm thinking too much.

A pained look crosses the Ogre's face when Circe mentions the clubspeak for Autumn. That's... probably gonna cause her to be more self-conscious than she already is if she gets referred to like that often.

She does give a small smile to Blink when Rhodes talks about how Autumn uses all types of fear. "I think I can see how close the two courts are. I am glad to hear my choice is not so... dramatic as I thought." It does please her to find out there's a similar theme of fighting in both of them.

"...I may be too quick in saying this, but I think I would like to be inducted. Circe gives her ok and I do not want to keep thinking end up not making a decision. Besides, it seems I can still do my duty in Autumn. And I can go to Summer if I no longer feel I fit."

"Are you sure?" Rhodes' face splits into a wide smile. "If that is your wish, I am more than happy to facilitate. And even in joining Autumn, I would encourage keeping ties with these lovely ladies," he gestures to the Summers. "In such a small hold, we all need to work together, after all. And Queen Circe does so love her bold colours." He throws he a charming smile.

The Fairest presses on. "Induction to our Court is a... personal affair, centered around our focus on the passing knowledge, in a form of your choosing. Then a pledge, as I believe all Courts have, upon your Wyrd, shaping it and developing your Mantle as a sign of devotion to the tennants of Autumn. We can begin now, or you can have more time to prepare if you wish? After all, the change to Autumn can be.... chilling." His grin is mischeivous as his own mantle causes another whip of icy wind.

Blink gave a sincere smile, absolutely proud of Penance. "The funny thing with these Courts. No one decides but you. If you are Autumn, you are Autumn. It is kinda nice in a way." With that Blink stood up. "Thank you Rhodes for coming."

"Good luck Penance."
    She offered to the Oni.

"I'm gonna head out. Maybe take a nap. You all be good!" She said with a wave and a smile.

Unless anything important. Blink is going to exit the scene to leave Rhodes and Penance to it.

Circe was oh so very tempted. So much chance for a little fun, by twisting people's words into a pun. She settled on going with just one. By returning Rhodes' smile with a giggle and a grin. She Took a bow, "Why thank ya Rhodes. I am oh so colorful, ta eyes and ears."

As for the last part being requested by Penance. "Ya know Penance, I could make a joke about needin' ta buy a O and a K block ta give ta ya, but I won't," she shrugs, "Ya have my blessin' ta pursue Autumn and an open invite ta be friends with Summer. Good luck ta ya on that. Unless ya want us staying ta watch the two of ya do the thing, I think I shall make like Blink. Addio." Circe started to walk away before stopping. She looked back over her shoulder with a naughty grin, "Lucky you Penance. Ya get ta spend some time alone with a handsome man and the encourage of yer girlfriends."

Circe will also be leaving along with Blink unless stopped.

2. Likes Xadun, Whisper liked this post

0 Scenes

Penance playfully rolled her eyes at Circe's comments. No one could say she didn't have a sense of humour.

"I am happy for the en-cour-age-ment," that word had far too many syllables, "but it is hard to feel lucky. The number of pretty Lost in town has to be more than ugly ones like me." She waved a long-clawed hand at the retreating duo before turning her attention back to the leading man of Autumn.

"I will admit, joining Autumn still seems... scary." She really wasn't trying to make a pun, but a more accurate term like trepidation was a bit out of her vocabulary. "But if we can, I would like to do it now. I do not yet want to get Luci involved, and I know her enough to know she will if she finds out." Her thoughts wander back to the Summer Coronation and her greetings of Wolfgang. "She may not like my addition and I can wait for her to find out."

The flowers at Rhodes' temples bloom a little sronger at the compliment. "I assure you, I shall be the perfect gentleman," he quips to Circe, smiling.

As he watches the Summers leave, he turns to the Ogre. "My Dear Penance, it should be, at least a little. You are already seeing one of the simplest things about Fear. It is everywhere. And as for Lucifer..." he trails off. "She is not the Dread Queen, and if I have my way she will not become it. I will back your initiation to the hilt. But Autumn is not a peaceful, idillic Season, and the Court is not either. Autumn, alongside Spring, is a season of great change, but for us it is not vibrant and blooming but turbulent, ravaging. There is always the Fear of change, from the early mankind that feared spring may never come again as Autumn took hold. We live in that Fear, and our trick is not to deny it - only embrace it, as a weapon, as a tool, or as a shield. Living in Fear will always cause strife, sometimes anger. We accept that as well. It is this and out willingness to fight that ties us to the Summer Court. We seek knowledge to fight out enemies, spending much time int he unknown and moving through the dark and hidden. This binds us to Winter. But where they lurk, we prepaer to strike."

The Fairest smiles gently. "A court is personal. It is what you consider of yourself. If the season accepts you, no-one can deny you hold true to the ideals in some way. Lucifer and I disagree on saveral things, but I cannot deny she is Autumn. Your reasons are ultimately your own - you are obliged to share them with no-one, and I can see you have thought on this carefully." He casts his eye around the shadowy corner of the High Striker, and his smile becomes more a sinister grin. "A concealesd corner, wrapped in shadow. Seems perfect for an Autumn induction to me. Let's begin, shall we?"

Rhodes draws himself up to his full height. "Penance, Courtless Ogre. You seek to join the Court of Autumn, the Leaden Mirror, the Dread Court. Do you wish to join our ranks and become one with our Season?"

With the way Rhodes put it, it felt a bit silly to not want Lucifer to be present because she might try to cow her as well. This WAS the Court of Fear, it should be expected fear was as legitimate a tactic as anything else. He was right, if this was her choice, she needed to embrace what scared her, both within and without.

...Just what in the world was she getting into?

It felt only proper to get to her feet as well as the senior Autumn called her name. Though given she her somewhat short size in comparison, she still had to look up at him.

"After much thought, I do wish to join the Court of Autumn, Rhodes, Courtier of Autumn." She winced at her own words. Rhodes made everything sound as flowery as himself, it felt difficult to match his diction.

Rhodes nods approvingly. "Good. I will try and keep concise. For a Fairest." He winks. "Initiation is a simple matter of a vow unto Season of Autumn. Vow to the beliefs we hold - to Fear and Knowledge, in a way you are comfortable. If Autumn accepts, and I see no reason why it should not, your Wyrd will shape, forming a budding Mantle. Every one is different. However it manifests, embrace it as a part of your new life."

The Fairest fold his hands in front of himself, smiling, and waits with anticipation.

Penance nods before closing her eyes to better think on what she should say. The fear part seemed simple enough, she had already considered how it applied to her. Hell, it was the entire reason she'd chosen this season over summer. But knowledge... knowledge might be a bit more tricky. She had never been book smart and to be honest, it wasn't something she was about to radically change. ...But if she thought about it, there was more to knowledge than just being intelligent. Knowing your surroundings or knowing your limits was just as feasible, right? Hell, her moving to the West Coast was certainly a learning experience in and of itself. ...Yeah, that seemed a viable take on it. Now just to hope the season itself thought so as well.She knelt down respectfully and started first in her native tongue. Much easier for her to say what she wanted, what she meant, if she wasn't handicapped."Wǒ fāshì qiūtiān yào bǎ tā de jiàzhíguān yùnyòng dào zìjǐ shēnshang. Kǒngjù jiāng chéngwéi wǒ de mó dāo shí, ràng wǒ bǎochí zhíshuài bìng mó liàn zìjǐ de yōushì. Zhīshì jiāng shì wǒ lǐjiě zìjǐ hé zhōuwéi shìjiè de gōngjù. Zài tāmen liǎng rén zhī jiān, wǒ yāoqiú duóhuí wǒ de shēngmìng, bìng fǎnduì jīn tè lǐ."Ok.... now to try to state that plainly so Rhodes had a clue what she was talking about."Sorry. Err, let's see... I promise to Autumn to take its values and use them on myself. Fear will... make me sharp and keep me straight. Knowledge is my tool to understand the world and myself. With both of them, I make me mine again and fight the Gentry."Providing the vow took hold, a sickly sweet smoke, not unlike incense, would begin spilling out of her mouth and nose. Gently, not a great waterfall of smoke but an ever-present trickle.
    Sorry for the gratuitous Chinese. I'll not do it again if it's too much.

Rhodes nods approvingly. "A fine vow. The Season, Autumn itself, and not the Court, will hold you to it, lest the breaking of your oath be clear as your Mantle fades to ash." He watches the smoke curling from the Ogre's Mouth and nose, smiling as he sniffs the scent of smoke before his own mantle whips the thin tendrils away.

The Fairest offers a hand, gently. "It is done. Rise, Penance of the Autumn Court. You are one of us now."

As Penance rises, Rhodes looks at her, questioningly. "That was.... Mandarin? Korean?" He smiles. "Not that it matters - the vow can be made in any language, but it was very gratious to translate for my understanding. You are still familiarising yourself with America, aren't you? If you have any questions about Autumn, or want to talk to practice English, I'd be happy to engague in discourse on any topics you wish uh, talk. But there are some things you should be aware of."

He looks around, ensuring their secrecy. "First, If you wish this to be secret from others for now, I will not reveal you, However your Mantle will do itself, and we Fairest do so love to gossip - the word may be out faster than you wish. You should be ready for it. Second, if all procedes as planned, I will be the Dread Lord of Autumn. The other Courts will accept me far more readily than Lucifer, and I have made my moves quickly." Rhodes watches Penance carefully. "Our season is on the rise, and I would like another friend to help me. One I will help in return. I think Autumn is a good fit for you, Penance - and if control of your Fear is what you wish, the Courtly Contracts of Autumn can help you in precisely such a way. I tell you these things now because you have already made the choice - I was not going to bribe you with our contracts, because all Courts have their own seasonal blessings. You needed to want what our Court seeks. And now you are here, You should have knowledge of what lies ahead for our Court. We are not always a fun or easy path, but a worthwhile one, I hope you will agree."

The Corpsegrinder graciously takes his hand, careful not to scratch him with her claws.

"Mandarin, yes. I have been here," she pauses to think, "about two months. Close to three. America is strange and new, but I could not stay in China. It is also different to me now and it reminds me of too much."

Penance listened intently as Rhodes explained what was to come. She was worried it was something more dire from the way he hinted at it, but she was glad to hear it wasn't anything so dramatic as, say, a coup.

"I do not mind others finding out. I am not full of shame to be Autumn. And as Dread Lord-to-be, I suppose it is only right that I help you. Although I suppose I would do so even if it were not the case. I will consider the Contracts of Autumn, I am not too familiar of them, though."

She gives an exaggerated smirk through her grisly mouth at his last line. "I do not think I have ever taken the easy path."

Rhodes matches Penance's smirk with one of his own. "Oh yes... I think you will do very well with us. Never have shame for what you are. Accept your choices and their consequences in equal measure. As for the contracts - well. As with any contacts of the Fae, consider them long enough and their power may become manifest. They are Autumn's weapons, Pledges our tools, Dreams our eyes. But in the end, we fight." He turns to leave, gesturing for the Ogre to walk with him. "You may have interest in the Contracts of Fleeting Autumn, that deal in Fear. Sensing it, invoking it.... shielding against it. But a discussion for another time, perhaps. For now, walk with me, and enjoy the first steps of a new path."He smiles at the Ogre, his first recruit into Autumn.
    "Oh yes. I think you will do very well indeed."

I think that's it for me, if you're good to wrap?

Yeah, I'm good to wrap. Thanks!

Great Scene folks!

4. Likes Ruach, Xadun, Yumyumcrow, Whisper liked this post
Closed Thread