Ended
Watch

Second Meetings

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    D
    Dominic Ashton

The girl's insolence was starting to rattle Dominic's Beast again. And she was just that. A girl. All that she had gained from immortality a crystallized form of her own anger. Still, he wouldn't debate her on this, and there certainly wasn't a reason to try and rebuff her. Best to just roll out of her way.

"Kindred business it is." For a moment he considered showing her just what the Ventrue were famous for, but no. There was no need to irrevocably shatter the relationship. Not yet.

"Developing and maintaining a place like that, a secure space, is going to take people. So, do we have prospective members?" If they were anything like Bea then Dominic would be in trouble, but maybe there were a few unaligned he could smooth things over with. Assuming Bea hadn't gone out of her way to start a shouting match in the middle of Court. "Mortal pawns aren't enough for what you're talking about."

Bea
    Bea

PRE

"As I said, the Domain is small. The only prospect, until fresh blood arrives, a shadow named Jesse. Unlike myself, I believe he's managed to make a favorable impression. However, he's also agreed to join a Coterie with me, an offer which I'll also extend to you," Bea said, slowly turning off the street, bringing the phaeton into a parking garage.

She stopped talking long enough to roll down her window and take a ticket from the parking kiosk. As soon as the pane of glass had risen again, sealing them both within a fragile bubble of privacy, she began talking again.

"You don't have many options, you know. Unfortunately, Jesse and I are about all you've got. The officials have their own clique, and sooner or later, lines are going to be drawn. Unless you want to support their interests? Use formal titles and kiss up to Kindred with cobwebs growing on them?"
    Bea ("Bee"). Daeva, Carthian Movement. Pres 2 (Unimpressed).

3. Likes Yumyumcrow, liked this post
    D
    Dominic Ashton

Genuine shock crosses Dominic's face as his compatriot makes her offer. It was a reckless and downright dangerous thing for her to propose, but not something all together unpalatable. It would be a guaranteed group that he could rely on for support and safety. At the same time, these were also Kindred he didn't know. People he didn't trust. The last thing the Lord wanted was to fall in with the wrong crowd as it were.

"You've got my interest, but I also have concerns."
    The words are careful and measured and deliberately paced. "The first is that I don't know this Shadow, but that's easily remedied. The second...well..." A knowing glance is offered across the car. "The night I was acknowledged, after you left people were talking about removing your tongue or worse. Now look at this from my perspective." Dominic gestured at the passing buildings. "I'm new to Sacramento, barely settled in, and my first real night in Kindred society is dominated by a fellow Carthian verbally sparring with Court officials. I'm not one to roll over to the aristocracy simply because they have title, but I'm also not one to be used as cannon fodder for someone who may end up subject to a bloodhunt because of a spat over naming conventions."

"A Coterie is serious. We'd be sharing resources with each other, and standing to protect one another in the face of danger..." With that Dominic let his words fade, and waited for a reply. If it was hostile, he knew where he stood. If she could empathize and be rational and address his concerns maybe, just maybe there was hope for a future.

Bea
    Bea

PRE

Bea nodded as Dominic spoke, but she kept silent until the Phaeton had rolling through the bowels of the parking garage and emerged onto the roof so that they were surrounded by the glittering lights of the city and the velvet canopy of the night sky. She slipped the car into a parking space and killed the engine before turning in her seat so that she could face the other Kindred, and perhaps unwisely, meet his eyes.

"Despite what you might think, I do recognize that how I acted was unwise. That's not the same as saying that I think I acted out of line, however,"
    she explained, holding up a finger to forestall comment.

"The only information that I ever gave was my name, Bea. Which means that the Reeve did some digging. Perhaps unsurprising, but that doesn't it any less impolite to flaunt someone else's information publicly, nor to insist that the entire Domain refer to them in that way. And then, when I offered a rebuke, a very catty one, I will admit, I was instantly met with threats of violence. Threats which they were clearly prepared to follow through with in the middle of Elysium. That's at least a little problematic, don't you think?"

She shook her head, and propped an elbow up on the steering wheel.

"It's solidified my opinion that we only have two options. Either we make our Experiment an in-depth study of bending over and taking it with a smile on our faces, or we prepare to resist. Which means becoming allies. Listening to advice, sharing resources, facing danger, sacrificing for one another. Because if we don't, then you better be prepared to take it all night long. If we do, however, then there's a lot to gain.

"And, before you jump to conclusions,"
    Bea added, "yes, I do recognize that we'll have to adopt more subtle strategies."

6. Likes liked this post
    D
    Dominic Ashton

It was as close to humility as Dominic could hope to expect, but it was also progress. Bea had shown a capacity to be more than an indignant ideologue. That meant there was room to grow and develop. No doubt they would fight at times, but she was willing to cede ground and try to move forward. At the very least that meant they would be able to shape the Movement together as partners. "Those with power are always quick to violence if they know they won't face repercussions."

Dominic would spare her the lecture on avoiding confrontation until they could actually mount a legitimate resistance. At least for now.

Instead, he gazed back into her eyes and pondered for a moment. "How soon can I meet this Shadow of yours? What's his angle?"

Bea
    Bea

PRE

Bea could only nod at Dominic's first statement. It was a lesson proven by every tyrant history had known...

As for the second, she shrugged.

"He might be free tonight, but even if not, he's not hard to get a hold of. He's an interesting fellow. Cautious, but willing to accept risks when he thinks they're appropriate. I think you'll like him. Shall I give him a call, or would you like to make introductions privately?"

An eyebrow raised as she asked the question. One answer was better than another.

D
    Dominic Ashton

"Give him a call and see if he is free." Might as well get the whole happy family together after all. "I'm not sure Jesse would appreciate a total stranger telling him that he might be joining his coterie."

"If we can't reach him this evening then I'll try again another night."

The next Court was fast approaching after all.

Bea
    Bea

PRE

"I'll send him message," Bea agreed, producing her phone and tapping out a quick text.

"While we wait for a response, though, I do believe that we've skipped over some of the fundamentals of introductions. Would you care to tell me more about yourself? As well as your prefered form of address. I'd hate to repeat the incident from court again," she suggested, a wry smile appearing as she tucked the phone back away.

D
    Dominic Ashton

"We did get a little ahead of ourselves didn't we?" Given how aggressively they had started off that wasn't a surprise though. "When we're in Court I'd prefer to go by Mr. Ashton. Anywhere else, Dominic is fine. I'm not one for excessive formality, but when in Rome..."

"I've got a bachelor's degree in history, and a PhD in Political Theory. Most of my existence has been spent in Chicago. I left after the Lance took over and the First Estate cozied up to it. In mortal circles I go by the name Andrew Ashton." The last name was spat out by the Lord with an audible contempt. "My move to Sacramento was an attempt to establish a Requiem with fewer religious overtones."

"What else would you like to know?"

Bea
    Bea

PRE

"I hope you don't take it personally, but I've always hated that expression," Bea said, shifting in her seat as though trying to find a better position to keep the blood flowing.

"I know that it referred to travelers going to the capitol of the Roman Empire, but I still find it insufficient. I mean, what if the traveler is a Visigoth instead of one of Rome's conquered peoples?"

There was definitely fang in the smile she shared with Dominic as she asked the question.

"But, very well: Mr. Ashton when among the gentle folk. And you have an impressive academic resume for a Carthian, though I am surprised you didn't mention the subject of your Master's degree, nor the institutions that granted them. I won't press, of course, I don't wish to offend you, I just find it more productive to be forward with my thoughts when among allies."

Bea's phone beeped then, and she paused to tap out a quick reply.

"It looks like Jess is open to meet with us,"
    Bea replied, looking back up. "Before he joins us, though, allow me to ask what governmental philosophy you support. Or, should I say, what political philosophy do you support?"

13. Likes liked this post
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.