Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A Bird of Ill Omen

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

Spiders: EGuard(3P,self)

(A Bird of Ill Omen)Mana 1 Spent
    PRE

Having failed to secure a reservation, Truce fell back on the idea of simply meeting at the hub of their community, the Circle of Creation. At the West Entrance, Truce waits, expecting that they will have a reasonable conversation without the extra worries of watching what they say and looking over their shoulders.

With the Summer weather at its peak, Truce is forced to dress down to a white and blue polo shirt over khaki shorts, revealing slender legs that rarely see the light of a Sacramento day. A class ring decorates one of his fingers, subtly reflecting the parking lot lamplight.

-1 Mana for Shielding Daylong Duration

Strix

PRE

With how the sun was currently burning down, Strix had pulled out his summer gear and ended up dressed in white three-quarter cargo pants and a dark-gray tee. He was wearing a leather wristband watch on his right arm, the sole of his flips flops padding softly against his heels as he walked.

Approaching the western entrance of the Circle, Strix could already see Truce waiting for him. "Hello," he said in greeting when he was close enough, offering a friendly smile. "Again, thanks for meeting with me."

Strix turned momentarily to look towards the sky, squinting behind the sunglasses he wore before looking back at Truce. With the thumb of his left hand, he pointed towards the Circle's doors, pulling his shades off with the right and folding them. "Maybe let's go inside, might be cooler than out here," he suggested as he hooked the sunglasses into the collar of his shirt.

While Strix's light tan might suggest of him getting more sun than Truce, Strix considered spending more time in the heat than necessary something from his past where people dictated where and when he would go, regardless the climate there. Those days were hard to miss, really, especially with how it all was just utterly pointless. Fucking Lie and all who made sure it continued to exist.

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

PRE

Truce recognizes the dark-haired blue-eyed man from their first meeting amid the panic of questionable realities. He lifts his hand and forearm in an easy wave to greet Strix, smiling softly.

"Hello, Strix. Yes, let us head inside then," he says in agreement as he moves to the entrance to open one of the heavy doors. The air inside the Circle is cooler, likely an effect of the masonry and the open drafty space of the cathedral's nave. Truce does not linger long in the entrance way and keeps the door open long enough for Strix to follow.

Once inside he walks slowly down the center aisle between the pews.

"So, we have much to discuss, don't we. Strix. That name's meaning relates to owls, doesn't it? Prized for their wisdom through various legends, as I recall. You may have realized that there are not too many Moroi within our modest community. That has been true for as long as I've been here. But I hope that Wayland and myself can provide some support for one who walks the same Path as us."

Strix

PRE

Nodding and following behind Truce into the Circle, Strix was glad to feel that the air inside was much cooler. Not uncomfortably cooler, but definitely an improvement to the heat that was currently outside. Churches, too, were often cooler inside; it was one of the few good things that Strix could still see in them.

With the door closing behind them, it seemed like only they were currently within the the Circle. Couldn't get any more private than that.

"That we do," he agreed, following behind Truce when they walked away from the entrance. "The name does come from the owl, yes." Strix confirmed, partially stuffing his hands into the pockets of his pants as he walked. The reasons for why he had picked that name came from just finding it - and what was associated with the animal - was fitting for a Moros, as well as that it had played a part in his Awakening. "And I've noticed, but I'm sure the support you two can offer will be enough. Better a few than none at all, right?"

The mage community in the city seemed rather small as a whole, so it didn't particularly surprise him that the Moros weren't that strongly represented. He was sure some other Awakened had it worse than him in that regard.

"I imagine you have questions for me, especially with what we recently learned of the Seer plot and all."

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Spell List

PRE

"I agree, better than none at all. And you are correct to assume so. Within these dangerous times we must all be cautious. I've found that most Magi value their privacy and anonymity, even between members of a Cabal. Though I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, some of my questions may come across as invasive. You are not required to answer, and not answering doesn't necessarily affect your recognition into our Consilium."

Truce links his hands behind his back as he strolls quite leisurely, his footfalls echoing slightly in the large chamber. Their voices carry, even at a level tone.

"For starters, tell me about the last, if any, Consilii you took part in. You subscribe to the Free Council's methodology, correct? Was it there that you were first inducted, or were you Mentored in their teachings? And what brought you to Sacramento ultimately?"

Truce listens for signs of hesitation and evasion within Strix's speech, to separate truth from the lie.

Checking for Lies, 1sux
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-08-09 13:01:19 Truce rolls 6 to check Strix's answers for lies [WIT+Emp] (10 Again) 2, 9, 3, 5, 1, 7 1 success

Strix

PRE

Eventually, Strix came to walk next to Truce instead of just trotting behind him, his hands still inside his pockets. A shrug was given at Truce's words, followed by "I understand." And he really did, it seemed to be weird times to come to Sacramento from what he gathered at the Circle when those in the Consilium seemed to discover it for the first time. Only not, from what others mentioned. It was all very confusing, and with the Seers' plot looming over them it was better to be safe than sorry.

It didn't mean he liked talking about his life before Sacramento, but he wouln't lie about it, either.

"Well, I took part in the Consilium back in Indianapolis," he replied, glancing sideways at Truce for a moment, then up towards the ceiling. "I was first approached by the Adamantine Arrows, but I didn't particularly care for their sale pitch. The Free Council came next and, well...you can see they were more successful. They made a better fit for me, and got a mentor to walk me through it all until I was deemed able to handle myself on my own."

"As for why I left, power struggles in the consilium and its politics as a whole was pretty tense. Then there were things from my Sleeper life that only made the decision easier to leave. Put distance between me and it all." Strix stopped walking, shoulders lifting to give another shrug as he looked to Truce. "It was family related. I don't want to go into too much detail, if it's all the same to you."

Some mages might have trouble separating from their Sleeper life, the arguments he kept having with his family after leaving the army just grew worse each time. So he moved. Without leaving a forward address.

"Either way, nothing should come to complicate matters here."

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Spell List

PRE

Truce listens carefully, glancing at Strix occasionally, when his Mentor and Sleeper life are mentioned in particular.

"I understand that, certainly. I've had to make similar severances with my Sleeper life, as I'm sure many of us have had to do. You may be surprised to learn that this Consilium is the first that I've taken part in. The years before that were under the guidance of my Mentor and through use of the Great Rights when traveling. And ironically I've made many new connections among the Sleepers since my arrival here. It's difficult not to get attached."

His smile takes on a sympathetic quality as he glances briefly to Strix before looking forward again. It felt appropriate to offer some information about himself to the newcomer.

"You know of Crowley, I'm sure. He is the remnant of the current Free Council within the city, as well as a Cabalmate of mine. Their numbers swelled last year but encountered a few matters of dispute since then. As for myself, I was once an Independent but now follow the traditions of the Silver Ladder. Two of my former Cabalmates have been Libertines, so I hope we can find ways to work together."

He reflects on Einstein and Emrys silently. Neither seemed well-suited for the Free Council. Both were argumentative and alienated themselves easily. Though Ermac had never joined his Cabal, the Magi was able to see the advantages of the Silver Ladder's Order to seek initiation. Or was that too just a dream?

Shifting gears, he asks, "What are your thoughts on the Seers and their practices? Have you encountered their ilk or those in service to them before?"

Strix

PRE

Strix hummed and pulled his right hand up to rub at his other arm, then gave a short huff of a chuckle. "I guess it's not that uncommon for the Awakened to have falling outs with their past Sleeper life." His hand moved back to slip into his pocket partially, thumb still sticking out of it. "Those that don't are usually viewed as odd among the Awakened." Or willing to endanger the people they care about to be targeted by some slighted mage or Seer out to do harm. It hadn't happened to Strix back in his hometown, but he had heard of it often enough.

While he might not be on the best of terms with his family, he still didn't want them to get involved in any mess he might have gotten into if he had stayed any longer. It was one of the few reasons why he could see reason in wanting to avoid Sleeper contact, yet not enough to really want to stop. Avoiding them was like trying to avoid getting wet during rain: There were just too many non-Awakened compared to Awakened.

"Unless someone likes the hermit lifestyle, I don't think it's that ironic, though. New start here for me, but give me enough time and I might just have a few connections to sleepers on my own."

Strix leaned against one of the pews with his hips, chuckling, "I remember Crowley, yes. Haven't talked to him personally, yet." Though it was hard not to remember him, considering he had seemed a little out of it during the Consilium meeting. Hearing about what happened to the Libertines in the city was interesting, it also answered an unasked question of his who otherwise might be a member of the Free Council besides Crowley and him. "I wouldn't worry, I'm usually easy enough to work with."

The humor slipped from Strix's face at the mention of the Seers, standing up straight again. "Disdainful, lie-mongering fucktards," he said after having clenched his jaw a few times as if grinding his teeth together a little too hard. "My watered-down thoughts about them and their activities. I never directly had to deal with them while at the other Consilium, though I know a few have been captured and interrogated every now and then before being dealt with."

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Spell List

PRE

As Strix seats himself liesurely, Truce comes to a halt and turns to face him. "You're in luck, as Crowley is one of the most dependable Magi I know. Which is why he's stuck around as long as he has, I imagine."

He responds, "Considering the masters the Seers serve, I simply cannot fathom their reasoning. A cheap means of attaining power unearned, or paid for with blood and fractions of their soul. We try to build something better here. Something brighter. Such is why we need strength in unity. But first comes trust, and I expect you will need to earn yours before long, through deed and dedication."

His gaze is fixed on Strix, his manner of speech conveying a seriousness beneath the surface. An expectation and standard.

"Well, I see no reason not to recognize you. Though you are still unfettered among the Cabals, correct? Have you given thought to joining an existing one, or forming one with the other new arrivals? Varyx, our Herald, was supposed to organize a meeting to aid you all in that task. But perhaps I missed the notice. Right now, Temoins du Sud, the Cabal Crowley and I are part of, is searching for a fourth. But the others may need you to form a new one. Perhaps we can foster you until you figure that out?" he suggests encouragingly. And why not keep a close eye on Strix, an additional Pathmate and fellow Libertine of Crowley's.

Strix

PRE

"Sounds like a good guy to stick with, then." It was always good to hear when people had nice things to say about other mages, Truce didn't strike him so far the type to not mean what he said. If Strix was the paranoid type, he'd suppose it could be a trick of some sort but he gave everyone a chance to allow himself to form a opinion of his own. First impressions weren't everything, after all.

Strix gave a grunt of agreement to what Truce had to say about the Seers and their masters. "Cowards and jailors in one. Perfect combination, really," he said, still sounding put off about them and glad when the topic drifted away from them again. "I kind of expected that I'd have to make people trust me first, benefit of the doubt can only go so far, after all."

His posture relaxed again and he leaned partially against the pew to his side again.

"Thank you. And I have no cabal currently, no, nor did I receive any message from the Herald," he shrugged, "maybe the others did. There were mentions from Wayland to form a temporary cabal with those who currently are without one, so...as you say, they might need me for that. I guess the loners should stick together." At least that was what he assumed was the reasons why some of them might not be in a cabal yet, other than being new arrival as well. Wayland mentioned he was a Sentinel, so he couldn't have been new at the very least. "But thanks for the offer. If it's a standing one, I could get back to you on it?"

Strix straightened up again, adding hurriedly, "Not to say you're just a backup plan. I do appreciate that you give me the possibility, but as you said: They might need me."

He would see how well it would go, he guessed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread