Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Gleaming Onyx, Tarnished Lead

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    L

Rick chuckled softly as L'aire launched into her giggle fit. Apparently all the various implications of what he'd said had occurred to him before speaking.

"Well, first you need to make sure they aren't in a position to block it if they're armed. That kind of sweeping attack is fairly easy to pick off. So you either need to bait their weapon high or wait for them to get a bit careless with their guard."

"Then you want to make sure they're moving. Stances are key to any fight, and it's much easier to take someone off their feet if you can catch them in a moment when they're not rooted in one. Get them in a moment when they're not balanced perfectly and it's a lot harder for them to catch themselves in a fall. Maybe they only have one foot on the ground at a moment, a lot easier to sweep that than two. Maybe they're just landing from a leap and don't have their feet set well enough to be able to hop over your strike, etc. etc. Main thing is, it's an opportunistic attack. You can't launch it whenever you feel like it. And if it's something you want to use, and you see an opening, you don't hesitate. It might not last long."

"Of course, there is a way to pull it off even if they are all nice and balanced." He brought his staff around again, lightly tapping the back of each of L'aire's knees. "I've never seen someone good at keeping their feet after being hit there. Land a good blow," his smirk matched her own as he gently started applying firm pressure there with his staff to demonstrate the point, "and their legs will buckle, dropping them right to their knees."

S
    Sasha

While watching Rick speak, she played out what he said in her head. “So, it’s really all about timing. At least with this part.”

“Although I guess essentially everything is timing when it comes to fighting, with a staff or not.” She traced her staff in the same manner that the Elemental had moments before. “Am I correct?”

The Dancer thought very hard, but wasn’t about to full on tell him to ‘hit her.’ “I’m fairly nimble. I’m not saying I’d land smoothly after that happened, I’ve never had it happen before so I’m just making a guess. Which is probably not accurate.”

L

"Nah, I'd agree with you there. Light on your feet as you are I think it'd be pretty difficult to take you down like that. Probably wouldn't even try in an actual fight." More likely to waste an opportunity than anything, he supposed.

"And yeah, you're right, the timing of everything's definitely huge. Timing and planning. A bad fighter tries to take openings that aren't there, a competent one takes the openings he sees, and a good one thinks ahead to create openings to exploit."

"And, oh,"
    he snaps his fingers as he remembers one other possibility. "There's one other decent way to knock someone down, if you're quick about it." He stepped to the slide; sliding his staff along the front of one of L'aire's shins, between her legs, and back out behind the opposite calf. One step forward torqued it lightly against the her shin, causing the other end to push forward against her calf. "And I mean real quick, to make sure they can't just step over it. But you can use one of their legs as a fulcrum to lever the other right out from under them. Can work especially nicely if they're already stumbling and already have their feet spread out a little."

S
    Sasha

Lifting her finger quickly. “But, I suppose, if my opponent doesn’t know me, I would have an advantage of being spry and be able to maneuver my way to taking out their legs?” Her Motley mate would know best that she didn’t do this often, if at all. Yet she had an inkling to be prepared considering her position now.

“I would say I’m fairly good at timing. Given what I do for a living… and what I was taken for.” That timing, was unfortunate though.

“Careful where you’re placing your staff, Rick.” The Fairest snickered, but didn’t quite blush since she didn’t look up to the Elemental’s stormy eyes. “I imagine if timing is right, that would work to one’s advantage." L’aire’s own staff moved unconsciously to the part of his staff, demonstrating she knew how to at least defend that move, but she didn’t push him away.

L

"Well, I'd expect any opponent with half a brain would notice pretty quickly that you're graceful and light on your feet. So I don't think they'd be surprised by it. But that doesn't really make it any less of an advantage, either. Similar to how no one would've been surprised to find that Swilla's strong as an ox."

He wasn't quite sure what the best way to reply to the allusion to her durance was. It was always a touchy subject.

So as that teasing snicker snuck into her tone he responded in kind. "Well at least you're well versed in handling it." The staff tapped playfully against the back of her calf as he spoke, a bare half inch higher. Then he paused for a second, head tilting to the side as he regarded her. And he pondered just how surprising it was that she was teasing back and forth. Last year when Terri had poked fun at her about the thickness of walls L'aire had done her best impersonation of a Flamesiren. He'd expected her to do much the same here. "You know, you don't start blushing nearly as easily as you used to."

S
    Sasha

L’aire sighed slightly. How she did miss Swilla. So deadly, dangerous and a big cuddly teddy bear at heart. She never feared him, even though she should have. Perhaps she was the only one who’d found his soft spot, or, at least had a glimpse of the belly of the lizard.

“That could be true, if the opponent knew me. Otherwise, the unsuspecting could just assume that I’m some skinny blond broad that pretended to know what a staff was for.” The Fairest snickered as that was the typical thoughts most seemed to have before they knew her. Books and covers.

Blinking yet again, she felt where Rick tapped the staff. Her lips pursed while she looked bewildered at him. The Dancer wasn’t about to play dumb or coy. She shouldn’t be embarrassed about the reasons, yet, he wasn’t Terri. She would have told Terri, no problem but Rick was a different situation.

“Well, I guess you could say I’ve been a little more exposed in that respect to… certain things.” She bit her bottom lip, not sure what else she should or could elaborate on. Her face said there were more answers depending upon the questions the Elemental asked.

L

"Ohhh...you meant underestimating you at the start of a fight. Yeah, I could see that happening. There are plenty of people dumb enough to look at a pretty woman and assume she's afraid of breaking a nail, or something." He chuckled softly, "Few things are quite so amusing as watching them get disabused of that notion."

He paused for a bit at her...half answer. Just, looking at her as he sorted through her responses. He didn't doubt that she was telling the truth about being a bit more exposed. Apparently it hadn't quite gotten rid of all her reservations about discussing it, though. "Come now, it's just sex." This time the playful tap of his staff came just above the back of her knee. "Nothing bad is going to happen because you say something about it. I'm not going to think any less of you because you've shared a bed with someone. It's sex. I've had it, you've had it, all sorts of people have it for all sorts of reasons. Might be just for fun, might be because they care about the person they're doing it with, might be something else entirely."

"But you shouldn't worry about telling me about any of it. You're my motley mate. You can always talk to me."

S
    Sasha

She vaguely recalled a time when she was ‘that girl’, so foggy and distant. It still had the remains buried deep inside, a reminder of what she never wanted to be again. “Yeah, I can see how people would be slightly shocked.” She smiled and huffed a small chuckle.

This part of the conversation shouldn’t have been strange though. Rick was right, they were Motley mates; although he wasn’t Terri. Discussing this subject was definitely unique with the Elemental, but she’d give it a shot.

“Well, it is recreational.” If the Dancer didn’t feel embarrassed before, she certainly did now. “I know it’s a bit um… self indulgent, but, considering how many times I’ve been…” She paused, looked off to the side while looking for the best way to describe a few situations. “Burned? Let down?” Shaking her head. “I don’t know how to put it, but I’m sure you understand what I’m getting at.”

God I hope he does…

“It’s… I don’t know.” Pursing her lips, her eyes and brows matched the apprehension in her voice. “Freeing.”

L

"There's nothing wrong with recreation. No rule that says that the Antler Courtiers are the only ones that get to indulge. We just keep other things in mind, too." Rick didn't exactly sound serious when he mentioned the Spring Court like that. Well, at least not for the most part. More of a slight joke to cut the awkwardness than anything else, probably. "And come on now, surely I'm not quite so hideous that you have to keep your eyes averted like that."

After that, though, he did get more serious. He studied her for a few seconds as the staff was slipped free, and tossed aside. Then his hands came up to rest on her shoulders, squeezing gently. And his voice was soft, reassuring. "We've all been burned, Sasha. I've felt that pain too, I know the sorrow it can bring. And I know it always sucks. The important thing is always to accept it and be able to move on...but I suppose I hardly need to lecture the Onyx Queen on that."

"Besides, it sounds like you've at the very least started doing that anyway."
    One corner of his lips quirked up in a slight grin. "And it's always wonderful to feel...freed, in any case."

S
    Sasha

“Wait, who said that the Antler Courtiers were the only ones that could indulge?” L’aire looked genuinely bewildered. Really, she had no idea where he’d get that notion. Other than he and Terri were like rabbits, so she thought, but they weren’t of that Court. “No, you’re not, Rick.” There was a curiosity in her throaty acknowledgement of his statement. Why was it so important that the Dancer looked at him.

Dropping the staff didn’t go past her. It was a little dramatic, he could have leaned it against something. It was more the touch, the way he did it that really caught her off-guard. She wasn’t worried about the Sphynx, she wasn’t even sure what Rick was doing. The Fairest realized he could have just been actually reassuring and not want in her pants. Although the track record with herself and men usually lead down that path. L’aire never wanted to be ‘that girl’.

And then there was the Terri factor. Would she come back from her journey again? Would she be gone for good? Would Rick leave as well?

God I hate having all these girly confused thoughts. I’m a Queen, damn it. L’aire quickly put that thought out of her head, she wasn’t the type to be some spoiled diva.

Her violet eyes finally lifted up to the Elemental. The Dancer’s cheeks had flushed and her glow was bright with the current mental frustration she just put herself through. L’aire’s next chuckle had a hint of nerves somewhere in its tremulous timbre of her voice. “No, I’m pretty sure I have the acceptance thing down very well by now.”

“I’ve accepted a lot of things over time.” For some reason the Fairest couldn’t stop looking into the grey stormy eyes that contrasted against his azure skin.

“But, that’s all it is. Recreational. Freeing.”
    L’aire realized she repeated herself just now, but she’d never been so entirely lost about a situation as she was at this very moment.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread