Ended
Watch

Gleaming Onyx, Tarnished Lead

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    L

"You won't." It was that simple.

"If it's a question everyone knows the right answer to they don't need a sovereign to make it, the Freehold can differentiate black and white on its own. They turn to Kings and Queens when everything blurs into shades of gray, when no one knows what's right and what's wrong...when they need someone to make the hard choice." And you always remembered that kind of choice, could never help but dwell on it. You never knew how far the ripples from it might reach.

"So you ask advice of those you trust, you fall back on all the experience you have, you trust your judgement...and you make it. Then you do everything you can to make sure it turns out well. And then you hope you chose right. And it'll stick with you, it stuck with me, stuck with Terri...it'll stick with anyone. That's when a crown feels heavier than any band of metal, or onyx, has any right to."

"So you live with the choices you do make. And you keep doing it because you know the position lets you make a difference, and leave the Freehold better than it was before you took up the crown. Because someone has to, and you're the one the Wyrd chose. Because it's both a duty and a privilege. And because that uncertainty helps keep you grounded, reminds you of who you are."

S
    Sasha

Great. That was not what she wanted to hear, however, L’aire presumed that would be the answer.

“The hard decisions. Those like I asked you, Terri or even Katrin. I remember when I told her, or, asked her if it was alright to love a mortal. Her answer surprised me, and still surprises me. I still remember it though and it was the perfect answer.”

“Not that I am a perfectionist… but, you know me. I always want to do what is right by our Changelings, my Court and the Freehold.”

All the rest of what Rick was saying was profound. He was probably the best adviser in the Freehold at the time. “You know, I wish the other Sovereigns would come to you and hear this. I think they need to. We are all inexperienced, as far as I know. But, I could direct them to you, if you wouldn’t mind?”

Ava and Lynn would probably enjoy a chat with the Elemental. Ramona, though, she hadn’t an inkling other than what she gathered from their Sovereign meeting. L’aire hoped they’d all make the right decision when it came to it. But, Rick’s thoughts on the matter were probably some of the best she’d heard.

L

In love with a mortal? That was actually a story he didn't know...must have happened while he was away. And it was because he dind't particularly feel like revisiting that mess that he didn't inquire further.

"The best advice usually surprises people. It generally doesn't do them that much good to hear something they already know." He shrugs slightly, "Unless it's a truth they know but try to deny, I suppose."

"Anyway...wish I could have given you a bi more cheerful advice. That's always the best kind to give...and I don't think we get to give it nearly often enough."
    Such was life amongst the Lost. The changes they'd been put through might not put happiness out of mind. But it certainly meant that there carefree days were behind them, no matter what Spring tried to pretend.

At her last question he nods slightly, "Have you ever known me to withhold advice from someone? I'm pretty much always willing to offer counsel to those who want it. And that's doubly true for Sovereigns. It's the least I can do, given the burden you've all taken up."

S
    Sasha

“Sugar coating.” L’aire shook her head. “It depends on who I am speaking with whether I do it or not. However, personally…” The Fairest looked right at the stormy face of the Elemental. “I’d rather it be straight up. Advice isn’t always pleasant. Some people don’t want to hear it, or the truth.”

Her head tilted slightly. “Although, you are correct. It seems like there is more bad news and bitter advice than pleasant and cheerful. It’s not a life we chose to lead, nut we make the most of it, or help others to do so. I think that too is a duty of Sovereigns. To help those who are still Lost.”

“I hope you don’t mind if I let the others know they can go to you for guidance. I think they’d like to hear that, since we are all in the same situation.” But, it was a now welcomed situation even if she did miss Katrin.

L

"Of course I wouldn't mind."

And Rick paused for a few seconds in the wake of what she'd said, regarding her. Ever since L'aire had taken up Winter's Crown he'd known she had what it took to be a successful Queen. But it was this moment, he realized, more than any other that he could see her fulfilling that potential. Now more than ever she seemed to be growing into her role.

It was certainly a wonderful thing to see.

"There's a lot of wisdom in what you just said." One hand came up, clapping the Dancer reassuringly on the shoulder as he favored her with an earnest smile. "Come the solstice, the Freehold's going to find itself in great hands."

S
    Sasha

The Fairest gleamed, her glow may have brightened as Rick patted her on the shoulder.

“Okay, so, back to the other reason I had came here.”
    L’aire smirked and wiggled the staff.

“So, if you’d be so kind, what’s the next thing you could show me?” The Dancer was probably not an ample partner like Terri probably was. There were a lot of things L’aire couldn’t be for Rick, but still, they needed each other in that Motley fashion. Someone to be there and be honest with, always.

L

Rick chuckled slightly as she let things slide into the next subject and brandished her weapon. "You mean learning how to handle long shafts of wood?" Was he seeing how quickly she could go from a bright glow to a flaming blush? It was distinctly possible. Certainly it wasn't the first time he'd teased her in such a manner, and it was unlikely to be the last.

Though that particular bit of teasing brought to mind shades of his conversation with Rita at the Forge.

Letting go of her shoulder, he took a few steps back to give them some space, twirling his own staff into a ready position before settling into his stance. "So, have I gone over how to sweep the legs out from under somebody using these with you yet?"

S
    Sasha

The Fairest’s eyes widened and her cheeks grew rosy. She was more surprised to hear that from the Elemental’s lips than she was to actually hear them at all.

“Well, Rick, this may come as a surprise to you, but I am fairly versed in that sort of wood.”

She shook her head and smirked. “No, you never went over that with me at all.” L’aire figured she should brace herself. “But, I suppose you’re about to. Please, let’s not land any bruises on my legs.”

L

The tip of Rick's staff waggled at her in playful warning in response to her boast. "Careful now...or I'll make you eat those words."

"But anyway...it's essentially a trip. Using a staff to do it makes it easier in some ways, harder than others. The ways its easier are mostly range, and that you don't have to worry about getting your own feet tangled like you might if you were tripping someone unarmed."

"One of the problems is that it's essentially a sweeping arc," and he traced that arc with the tip of the staff as he spoke, letting her see the circuitous route it took, "That can make it easier to block, if your opponent sees coming. You also tend to make contact farther out along the length of the staff, which makes it harder to apply as much force. So someone could potentially plant their feet and just brace themselves to shrug it off. Or, you know, just jump over it."

"Long story short, it's not something you can just break out whenever you feel like. It's definitely that will usually have to be set up in order to be effective."

S
    Sasha

All L’aire could do was blink, a few times.

Considering what they were just saying, using ‘eat’ suddenly brought her hand to her mouth while she giggled uncontrollably for a moment.

She cleared her mind from the goofy stuff and focused on the Leaden’s guidance. The Fairest’s eyes followed his movements with the staff.

“Well, I’m not saying I have cat-like reflexes, but, I could easily catch myself if that were to happen to me.” The Dancer had a few more tricks up her sleeve aside from just dancing.

“So, how exactly does one set that up?” Unconsciously taking a couple steps backs.

“I guess you’ll need to demonstrate… or at least direct me on how to do it… to you.” She smirked. Although, she knew she was going to regret what she just said.

Good thing her dance tights hid everything.

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread