Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Hope is for the Faint at Heart

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    M
    Matrixchild

In most missing person cases the first 48 hours were key. Unfortunately, the police don't usually allow you to report someone missing until 24 hours. It's the perfect example of a race against the clock. You don't want to file a false report too soon and find the person asleep at home, but you need to do it soon enough that there's still a trail to follow.

July had a lot of experience finding people, but even this job was too big for just him, so he'd put out word in the Consilium that he was looking for help. He was already looking into other things for the Consilium and he wanted to make sure this case had someone's complete attention, or at last more attention then he could currently give. He wasn't sure if any supernatural stuff was going on, but if people were going missing as much as he had heard he wanted to do something about it.

Pacing back and forth at the front of the theater he had left the door unlocked, which was fine for now since he was watching the door for guests. Soon he would see who responded and see if they could help.

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

The bike puttered up to the theater with the sound of a cat in heat being cut in half with a chainsaw.

Granted the torn and scraped fairings knocked a little shine off the image but rolling around on motorcycle in a tuxedo is still baller. Tuxedo? Someone's been auditioning for magic shows again.

"ay muh"

Gloved hands pulled the helmet off. Cry TREsemme and let loose the mops of war.

"Hey man. You got something that, like, needs finding? I can help. I'm super good at making things disappear."

Because logic, yo.
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

3. Likes Cayce liked this post

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

Spiders: EGuard(3P,self)

PRE

Equipment: Mid-size car, First-Aid Kit (basic), Magical Tool, Smart Phone, Crime-Scene Kit, Body Bag, Ranged Stun Gun

Truce had little information to go on when he heard about the Sentinel's call for assistance. But the Necromancer already had business with July and he figured he would lend his aid while delivering his report on the Banisher encounter with Temoins du Sud.

With his report typed up and squeezed between a manilla folder, Truce drives his Chevy Impala over to the theater. He parks and sees the presence of a motorcycle with a familiar individual mounted upon it.

Folder in hand, Truce walks over to where he and July stand.

"Good evening," he says pleasantly in his soft voice that nearly gets drown out by the sputtering of Star's engine. "I heard about your need for assistance, July. Oh, and I've come to delivery this report to you as well," he adds, presenting the folder to him.

Contents of Report

5. Likes West liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

What was the difference between a manhunt and a missing persons case?

Intent.

Both were supposed to discover the location of someone and then bring them back to where they were 'supposed' to belong, but the intent of that thought behind belonging that was most important. For the subject of a manhunt, society had decided that they belonged somewhere no matter what they willed: they belonged in a state of harm and confinement. For a missing person, it was assumed that something outside of society had done that exact same thing, and the intent of the search was to rescue the subject from that harm and confinement.

Obvious, to most people, but fascinating to Avis for the fact that that simple intent, either to harm or to help, was all that separated those activities and those who performed them. Particularly when it came to July, a manhunter whose intent had now been changed. She would have to ask him sometime exactly what inspired him to change that intent, but now obviously wasn't the time to ask. Particularly around another Cabal.

"Hey Truce," Avis offered in greeting as she approached, dressed in simple cargo pants, tanktop, and a hoodie tied around her waste. The tennis shoes were nothing new. Besides, what was really of note was the ring, the belt, and the phone sitting in her pocket. Not that the ring buzzed with the same magic as the other two, but both Truce and Star new what it really was. Not that Avis knew that Truce knew, but he knew.

"I'm ready whenever y'all are," she added, transferring her gaze to the two members of her Cabal.

Equipment: Lockpicking kit and stuff in siggy.
    |
    V
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

7. Likes West liked this post

Equipment: Tiny Shitbox car, First Aid Kit, Collapsed Survival Bow with 6 arrows, Swiss Army Knife, Magical Tool, Phone, Torch, Dog Treats, Knife, basic wilderness survival supplies.

Flidais and Puppy arrived in high spirits, well as high as they can be considering the nature of the request, although lacking in critical details of the missing person Flidais tried to be as well prepared as possible, it showed as first aid kits, survival equipment and a considerable pouch of jerky which she was gnawing on as she approached. A dead flower could be seen jutting out of her hair but otherwise there was nothing cosmetic about her appearance.

"Hello. Biltong anyone?" She offers the pouch to all before giving a piece to Puppy and tucking it away.

"If it matters, Puppy is trained to discriminate scents, specifically she is a trailing type. She's not bad for a girl." Flidais thought July should know, if he wants her help finding someone, she should let him know what she can do.

Cast at Home
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-04-26 09:08:03 Flidais Life Sight rolls 7 to Life + Gno + HS -2 Adv. Duration (Cloaked, 1 mana) (10 Again) 5, 3, 8, 7, 2, 2, 5 1 success
    2016-04-26 09:06:43 Flidais (+Puppy) Life Armor rolls 7 to Life + Gno + HS -2 Target (1 mana duration, paid by hallow 1 mana Cloaked) (10 Again) 4, 10, 4, 1, 9, 5, 3, 1 2 successes
    Flidais
    Thyrsus Mystagogue
    Presence: 3 (Animalistic)

M
    Matrixchild

Four had responded. A good group it appeared and from what he knew about Truce and Flidais, along with his cabalmates, a variety of different skills. July wasn't sure what they'd find in the search but if all four agreed to do it he had little doubt they'd find an answer. "Hey," he said to Star, unsure how to acknowledge the comment about disappearing things and it's connection to finding things other than with a personal chuckle.

As Truce approached he reached out and took the report. "Thank you. I'll look through it a little later," he said before putting it under his arm.

He looked to Flidais and answered, "no thank you," before looking to her dog. He did not like the idea of letting the dog in the theater, and in fact thought it was quite presumptuous to bring the dog with her. Maybe that was just what she did though, forcing her dog upon the other mages of the Consilium, but when she stated that the dog was a search and rescue dog he relaxed a little. Maybe it would come in handy. He probably wouldn't need to shoot it, unless it attacked. "Make sure there's no accidents," he said looking at the dog.

Looking to Avis he said, "let's go sit down and I'll tell you all what's going on." With that he turned around and headed inside toward the kitchen, expecting the four of them to follow.

Once inside he gestured to the table while he stood. "Coffee anyone? I bought some before I came home," he added so that it was clear he wasn't just giving away cabal coffee. Pouring the pot he made beforehand for anyone interested, including himself, he finally sat down and looked between them all, a tired look on his face. He took a sip of his coffee and got right into the subject matter of the gathering.

"I do private investigator work when I'm not doing cabal or Consilium stuff. A woman named Eva Brook approached me about trying to find her daughter, Carly. Twenty-two, goes to college out of state. Just visiting for spring break it seems. Two days ago she went missing at Raley's Supermarket. She had borrowed Eva's car and it was found left in the parking lot abandoned. Cops just wrote a basic report, thinking there weren't any leads to follow. Normally I'd just handle this myself but then I started looking into it. Thirty-eight other young adults, between the ages of twenty-one and twenty-eight have been take from all over Sacramento. Both male and female, different ethnicities, different social groups. Rich, poor, short, tall, doesn't matter, and on first glance I can't find a connection between any of them. Now the Heirarch's asked me to look into something else pretty important, and I don't think I can give this the focus it deserves so I'm asking if you four will look into this and find out who's taking people. Any questions?"
    he said, taking another sip as he looked between them all.

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Biltong? Are you into South African meat?"

Lips pursed into a Clearly Not Happy expression at the Dog inside the theatre. It had taken months to stop finding cat hair. A few kicks that seemed more enthusiastic than necessary got the bike's kickstand out and the vehicle upright. Nobody's thinking about kicking dogs, yo.

"Ummm. I mean. Food. Like, you know. South African food with, uh, meat. Not that, you know, I'm judging. If the answer is 'yes' to the other thing. Just that isn't what..."

The angel chose to enter the theater rather than continue wherever that was going. One of the dangling sleeves of Avis' hoodie got an affectionate tug. No need to get all Pee Dee Ay. The helmet, backpack and tuxedo jacket were deposited on the counter-top that ran the length of the kitchen/dining room with the casualness of someone who lived there; dropped off, without looking.

"Did you dee vee ar it?" Might as well get the Post-Cog Question out of the way. "I mean, it's cool if you didn't. You said you were busy. Just asking. And you said thirty-eight? That's a lot. Do we have a map? I mean, if they were all snatches like the first one, it doesn't sound like the car got moved. A map could, you know. Show a pattern."

Because movie-style triangulation.
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

Spiders: EGuard(3P,self)

PRE

Where Star is his supportive wife is not far behind it seems. Truce nods respectfully to the Mastigos Councilor. "Good evening, Avis," he says politely to her as he follows after July.

Flidais's arrival is a surprise to Truce too since the Cabalmates had not spoken to each other about July's call for aid. 'Puppy', as she is so oddly named, is also an unexpected addition. Though he cannot fault the use of canines for tracking purposes.

He greets her with a smile.

When July shares the reason of their summons, Truce listens carefully. The rampant abductions among the Sleepers is certainly a concern. Though Truce can't help but wonder why it should be a job for Magi to tend to what may be a mundane problem. And yet he curses himself for such selfishness in the same thought. If it were to benefit the greater good he would of course lend his assistance.

"I've worked on such investigations before, though mostly indirectly with my forensic psychology background. And if you do need someone to view the events, I am versed in that particular working. I don't suppose you acquired anything personal of Miss Brooks from her mother that would assist us?"

Even a scent would be of use if they were to make use of Puppy's sense of smell.

12. Likes West liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"If 38 people got kidnapped, there's gotta be some sympathy lying around somewhere," Avis replied after some time, her thoughts partially distracted by the walking flea bag sitting on her dining room floor.

And it's name...ugh! It made her queasy just thinking about it. Had it been named by a fifth grader?

Thank--whatever--that the kidnappers were all adults. She really didn't want to have to deal with those selfish little balls of vulnerability.

"Anyways, um, if there's no sympathy that'll also tell us that something Supernal is going on, which would be good to know, too."
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

14. Likes West liked this post

"Um... Phrasing?" Was Flidais first response to the question posed by star. "I got it as a thank you for some work I did. Not everyone can afford to pay the full fees but people generally make it up when and how they can. Fortunately for me, this one guy makes the stuff himself."

Flidais and Puppy headed in and listened to what July had to say. Both Truce, Avis and Star were asking the right questions and Flidais didn't have anything else to add so was happy to listen quietly, saving her words for when she had something to say.
    Flidais
    Thyrsus Mystagogue
    Presence: 3 (Animalistic)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 18

You do not have permission to view the list of names.