Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(IT-WotS) Bloody Words

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

The best thing about 4W?

The area around it. Okay, maybe that wasn't the best thing, because living in a movie theater has a ton of best things, but it was a pretty cool thing. Just to the north-east, within walking distance, was a parking lot cradling a bowling alley, all of which was a stones throw from a trailer park.

Pretty legit locale for anyone GPS tracking.

The van had been stored behind the theater, nestled between two industrial garbage cans that no one could afford pickup service on, and what litle was exposed had been covered with brown tarp that was half-rotted from exposure to the elements.

It was a Problem for Later.

Long fingers traced the contours of a cheap plastic burner phone, already scarred and scratched from a few days worth of dropping it use.

"Okay, so. Let's do it? Give me the digits."
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Alright," Avis agreed, "but you should know something before I give 'em to you. They killed the third guy. Ronaldo. The one we clubbed and left behind. Paper said he got shot, which we sure as hell didn't do. So I wanna figure out which one of those fuckers did it and before it's over I'm gonna make like I did with Bonnie. Fuckers don't deserve to get away with that shit."
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

M
    Matrixchild

The next step was taking place and July just sat back and watched. That was until Avis mentioned the third guy was killed. With that he sat up in a daze. Had he killed two of them? Yeah, but that was in self-defense. Was the last one killed because he failed? To get rid of witnesses? July didn't know, and something about that one's death weighed heavier on him than the others. "Those bastards. Fuckin' Banisher bastards," he said loudly under his breath. He was glad to hear Avis wanting them dead now. They would all pay. For everything.

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

Lines were easy to draw in the sand. Also easy to erase. What was important to know wasn't actually that the line was there, or had been there, but that someone had had the intent to draw it there. Because the only power a line had was the power given to it by the one observing it. As far as the universe was concerned the temporary arrangement of minuscule rock particles was insignificant.

This, Avis knew, was the same. The universe didn't care that a man had been killed. Not that the death didn't necessarily have an effect on the universe, but action and reaction wasn't the same thing as intention. It was intention which mattered here. The intention of the Banisher's, those blinded motherfuckers who twisted the Supernal by inflicting their intentions upon it.

It was Avis duty to do the same. To right the balance of the Universe with her intentions.

Avis handed Star the phone number.

"Consider mentioning you took the number from the phone instead of being given it. I don't think Ronaldo ever called it. Just was called by it."
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Earth to Angel.

The news that Ronaldo is dead is... well, news. It takes a bit to process, starting from the beginning. Remember the Five Questions.

Who:
    Murderer(s) unknown. Don't rule out the po-po response team. Go ahead and scratch the neighbor off the list. Because that would be Super Messed Up.

What:
    Murder Death Kill Number Three.

When:
    After they'd left. Given that they hadn't heard a shot, it was unlikely someone made it to the scene before the cops walked around back. Best evidence towards the cops doing it.

Where:
    Behind the house, with the other two. Otherwise, the details would be different, and because the crime scene was already practically gift-wrapped, courtesy of Veiled Threats.

Why:
    Good question. Could have been a Seer kill-switch on any disturbance, or something that was missing.

"Why would the cops kill him?"
    Words turned into frost on the cooling night breeze as the number was studied.

"Because it had to be the cops, right? There wasn't time for anyone else, and the story wouldn't have made print if it was after Ronaldo was in custody." Sneakers scratched pavement as the pacing started. "Also, those cops were fast. Real fast. Like the local patrol was already, like, tasked with watching that place. Or at least staying near it. So, stay with me here. Cops come in, pop Ronaldo. There's no way Jumping Jack Flash got his phone. Soon as we open that door, the hurricane blows in. Right?"

Never tell a lie you already know you can't cover. There's a difference between a blind con and dead con.

"No, this is, like, totally diff now. What about this?"
    The number was waved. "Anyone got any, uh, peeps? Phone bills, whatever. That maybe we can get an address from?"
    - Roald Dahl

6. Likes Cayce liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

The thought that cops had killed the third man took July aback...at first. Then the Obrimos' reasoning started to sink in. "If it wasn't the police in general then it had to either be someone working with them or someone who was watching the location, but you're probably right about the cops. Only logical answer since they arrived right as we were leaving. The best I got is some minor connections with the police I could work, but I don't think they'd have access to the phone records without a subpoena and they ain't gonna go that far for me. We also might want to stay away from their help if we're assuming they did the killing." Because 'it's a trap' said the Admiral.

July raised his hand and said, "hold on for a second" clearly with something on his mind, "how about this for an idea. We're obviously not calling from a number they know since we're using the burner phone. We want the guy on the end to give us an address he'd meet us at. We could always try the old 'you're a winner'. Call him up and say he's won something, like an new TV, and say he needs to give us an address for it to be sent to. If you keep it free sometimes people will fall for it. If it doesn't work, fuck we're out a burner phone, but we can always try something else then you know? People get solicitations all the time so there's nothing too suspicious about a free TV."

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"What if we pretended to be another cop. One that's not with the program, so to speak. Essentially, we poke their nest and see what happens next," Avis suggested, a gleam entering her eyes.

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Well."

It's a different angle. More aggressive -- more risky.

"I can see it? If they're tapped into local Pee Dee. July rolls with Person of Interest as a current Marshal, so it's doable."
    A fingertip toys with the phone, then then hand surrender and produce a deck of cards from a pocket. Slowly un-boxed, the deck starts to whisk through shuffles.

"But, okay, here's the thing. Obvious first play for them? Set up a meet and just off July."

It's the smart play.

"So, if we go that route? July. You gotta make it Super Clear it's, what's it called, an open investigation. Paper trail. Make them deal with you,"
    a pair of fingers plied a card out of the deck. "Instead of, you know."

A quick flick and twist of the wrist, and the card vanished.

Because Disappeared.
    - Roald Dahl

10. Likes Cayce liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

"I agree, smart play would be for them to off me, but open investigation makes it so they know 'people are waiting for me to report' If I play it as a Marshall it'll be a group we can presume they have no actual influence in right? Interesting prospect, if we make some noise looking for answers with them, then we may even get contacted by the police, find out their contact in the department. How's this for an angle: My unit's been looking into Ronaldo and he wound up dead. This number was connected to him and I just want to talk, find out if they have any leads. Good or too aggressive?" July said looking between the two of them.

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

Honestly, Avis liked the idea of them setting up the meet with July as bait. There was so much that could be learned when an enemy made the first move, and did so when you were prepared for it. When you controlled the ground. When your enemy was afraid...

But there would be time for that. Time enough once they had learned more about precisely who they were dealing with.

"Alright, I'm game. I think that's a better strategy. But you want to come off stronger, July. Don't say that you got a number that was connected to him. Say that your department is aware that they were business partners. Make them aware that they can't just brush you off. I'm thinking, though, that if you made yourself seem a bit dirty that they'd be more inclined to work with you than bump you off. I mean, they're obviously working with cops off the book. They're used to doing that type of business. You're less threatening if you seem like a familiar problem, I'm thinking. Does that make sense?"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread