DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Thursday evening it was in Sacramento, and Coco stood outside the Rose Garden in decidedly casual dress, though her cane was of course in hand. Next to the black t-shirt, blue jeans, and sneakers the polished dark wood and metal handle looked quite out of place, yet it wasn't truly an accessory, after all. No, best put it out of her mind...Tonight was about very different matter, indeed! Important matters, yet not ones that approached life and death. Glory or shame, perhaps, but in the year she'd spent in Sacramento she'd learned to ignore the latter. The former she was still waiting for.

Thus, with a new surge of impatience, Coco checked her phone for the time and found that, yes, she had come far too early. Much better to have come fashionably late, yet she new that making Ava wait wouldn't earn her any favors and so she'd opted to air on the side of punctuality instead. So far, it didn't seem very appealing, but if the night went well then no doubt she'd forget all about it.
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

S
    Saeyer

A handful of minutes before their scheduled meeting time, Ava rounded the corner of the block. Her damp hair was pulled back in some sort of low bun, though several strands and locks had already escaped with relative ease, and in a strange reversal of the norm she was dressed less casually than Spring's flambouyant Claviger. A black sleeveless tunic-dress that had been bought new a little while ago (an extravagance in her eyes) hung loosely around her and her spindly legs ended in the habitual pointy toed boots, though they may have been given a shine. Though the day had been warm, a silky autumnal scarf was folded and tied in a way that made it look more like a necklace than anything else.

Since Mal's departure, the Scrivener smiled a little less and dressed a little better, trying to make up the difference wherever she could. But worrying about clothes had been completely secondary to agonizing over what Coco could possibly want to talk about, and whatever it was had to do with Autumn. The world kept spinning, cogs kept turning, and one way or another this was important.

Approaching her soon-to-be dinner companion, Ava's broad mouth curved into a faint smile and her eyes were warm. "Hey Coco, I hope I didn't make you wait too long."

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"No, not at all!" the Wasp assured her companion, "I simply arrived too early. It's been a long time since I've dined with anyone. I'm afraid I might be out of practice, but alas, tonight is not just pleasure, though it is a pleasure to see you! You're looking, hmm, tastefully understated, I would say. Fascinating choice! It compliments you. But! Anyways! I have our reservation all ready! I would have ordered antipasto and wine already, but I've afraid I don't know your taste. You'll have to choose," Coco informed the scrivener, turning and striding into the Rose Garden.

Being somewhat of a regular, and a generous tipper to the fairer or flamboyant staff, they were soon hailed from the line and guided to their table out on the patio. Menus were distributed, as well as drinks inquired after. Coco indicated an inclination for the rosé, though she waited for her guest to decide.
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

S
    Saeyer

"Thank you," she accepted the compliment quietly and without the usual self conscious fuss or overthinking of what 'tastefully understated' meant and why it was fascinating. She spotted the compliment, she shook its hand, and let it keep moving.

Despite herself Ava was a little impressed when they were plucked from the line by someone who seemed to recognize Coco, but it was Spring's hub. Besides, she wasn't exactly hard to remember. At their table she eyed the menu briefly but readily accepted the Wasp's wine preference, going for the same. She wasn't much of a wine person, but it wouldn't hurt to try something new.

After the server left them to peruse the substance of the menu the Scrivener couldn't help but scan for the cheapest thing, years of ingrained habit rearing their head. Locating a starter and main that were both appealing and within her general means, she relaxed back into the chair and sipped from her waterglass daintily, navigating the teeth. "How are you, Coco? There's always so much going on when we see each other." And you get along with 0.2% of my friends.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Ah, such is the price of competence," Coco imparted with false chagrin. "It's impossible to sit by when you know you're needed, and alas, for people like us we will always be needed. I wouldn't have it any other way, though," she added with a conspiratorial smile.

"Besides! It means that whenever things are going on, there is a greater chance of seeing each other, and I could not complain about that. Not that I wouldn't mind less official interactions, but I understand the constraints of time. One only has so many hours in the day to undertake their business, as well as their self-maintenance. Of course," she added, a note of gravity entering her voice, "tonight I wanted to speak with you about fall maintenance on behalf of Ms. Nutkins. Not that we can't enjoy dinner first, if you'd like!"

The note of gravity disappeared.

"I personally love a nice antipasto," Coco shared, a hand rising to her chest, "but we could also indulge in a sweeter appetizer. They have a brilliant dish with stuffed dates! Or, if you'd like a blend, they have a wonderful brussels sprout salad with grapefruit and, well, it's on the menu! Any thoughts?" An enthusiastic smile punctuated the question. "It's very important to have something good to digest to help process information, I find. Food and ideas are quite similar, really. They both must be artfully prepared to be palatable, after all."

6. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Now even less sure of what was going on than before she'd been told why they were meeting, Ava's slightly atrophied social defenses started to creep up. There hadn't been much need of them so far, with a handful of exceptions, and now she sort of wished she hadn't ordered wine. While she trusted Coco's physical abilities and willingness to jump into unknown situations, she realized she didn't actually know the other woman very well.

"The salad with grapefruit sounds delicious, but I'm willing to defer to your tastes if something sounds better to you. I'm not a picky eater, though I find good ingredients and good ideas shine through, no matter how you dress them."

Holding her water glass up as if to drink, she paused and smiled a little crookedly behind it. "So, how did you come to be speaking for Terri? Has she lost her voice?" Her tone was light, still in the realm of friendly banter despite the pointed question.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Then the salad it is," Coco replied first, primly setting her menu aside. "I've had it before so I hope you'll trust me when I say that it's ingredients are magnificent. Not unlike what Terri's asked me to discuss with you. For, though her voice is doing quite well, though nowhere near as delectable as yours," the Wasp said, unable to avoid stealing a glance at the luminous source of the Scrivener's speech before meeting her eyes again and continuing, "there's a certain amount of politics involved.

"In fact! That's it exactly. Terri is wishing to become the head of your committee again. She was the head of it before, you know, before everything happened to the Hotel. Jason's didn't win the position, but rather got it through default. Not that she's not a wealth of knowledge or more than worthy of our respect. She certainly is. However, as I'm sure you know, though she's more than dedicated to the purpose of the committee, her focus isn't so much upon the committee itself. Terri, however, is more than dedicated to seeing to the well being of the committee so that it is best prepared and able to fulfill its purpose, rather than just pursuing it herself.

"Sooooo," Coco pronounced, picking up her wine glass, "all that said, what are your thoughts? Would you support Terri in reclaiming her former position?"

9. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Ava was well aware Terri had been queen before the Four Seasons fell, and it wasn't a shock she wanted her throne back. In fact, the Scrivener was surprised it had taken so long for her to declare her intent. The Steepscrambler hadn't resigned the position of her own free will, and everyone who knew her spoke of her fondly; it was hard to tell if that was simple popularity, good politics, or a mixture. But Coco had sidestepped her question about why a Spring was bringing her Autumn politics, so she'd need to try again.

She took a moment, swirling her wine around her glass as she thought. Despite not being wholly unexpected, it was a lot to digest. Eventually, she let out a soft sigh, and spoke. "Bear with me for a moment, Coco, I'm still processing. I'm not fundamentally opposed to the idea of Terri in that position, but I have some concerns. First, though, I'd like to talk about Ms. Jasons." Adjusting her posture, she set her wine back down undrunk and leaned forward on the table, to make the conversation a tiny bit more private.

"When the hotel went under, it was..." She shook her head, searching for the words and allowing them to simply trail off. "We were all gutted. We'd lost people, there was very little stability for those of us that stuck around; I hadn't even been here very long. I saw Terri from a distance, once, before; I knew her name and what she looked like, and then she was gone. Not by any fault of her own, I'm aware of that. But the first manager I ever spoke to was Ms. Jasons, who sought out the people left in her department, sussed us out, and gave us new responsibilities based on what she saw. There were three of us, and of them, I'm still here. It was hard, it was depressing, and she was there, with available beds, food, safety for people whose homes and livelihoods had been taken from them. She was a fixed point, while the other managers were either new and unknown quantities, dead, or gone to ground. I'm not saying being there, as a pillar of our community, is enough to keep her in her position, I just want you to understand why I respect her so much. She's not sweet, or interested in sugar coating anything, but she's fair, and she's smart. She's not someone I can turn away from easily."

Passion had crept into her voice as she spoke, wanting very much to make Coco understand and erase the ache she felt from hearing her sovereign discussed in such a way, by someone outside her court. To hear her doubted and dismissed stung. She got it, the woman wasn't perfect, but her mettle was known.

"So, that said," she continued after a moment, finally taking a sip of her wine, "I've got a few questions I'd like real answers to. First: what's Terri's platform, what makes her a better choice? Second: why is someone from another department bringing this to me? Is it a public endorsement from your corner?" Her gaze direct, Ava puncuated her questions with small, sharp hand gestures to drive home her seriousness. Because, if Spring was sticking its fingers in Autumn's business, she wanted to know.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Her platform is very simple," Coco replied with a nonchalant shrug before picking up her own wine glass and sampling the bouquet. It was an excellent choice, of course. Not that all of Coco's choices proved to be excellent, certainly not if one were to look at her history in Sacramento, but her chose in wine, at least, remained spotless. That thought providing a measure of reassurance, Coco set her glass down again and fixed Ava with her most "sincere" smile.

"Her platform is simply to be the manager that focuses upon the people in the committee and helps them achieve what they need to to help aid the committee's purpose. Essentially, to be the guide, in addition to being the example. As for why I'm the one speaking to you about this, it is an endorsement of Terri's character, but it is also because I wish to help make the desire's of my friends come true. In this case, I offered to help spread the word and gather support for Terri so that when she approached the committee with her campaign there would already be awareness and feedback. It's nothing sinister, I promise you.

This is why I hope you'll consider what I have to say. Ms. Jasons is clearly a pillar of the community. A woman who has helped it survive and who we owe much to. However, that does not mean that she is the ideal manager. There are other positions, as I'm sure you know, among that court that she would be ideal for. Positions that might well serve her better than the position of manager currently does. It is a burden, in it's way, and the opportunity to have it lifted from her might do her good. You see, that's part of what inspired Terri to aim for management again: she sees that not everyone is best placed within the committee and would like to change that so that you're all best able to do your part, and are best able to be content doing it."

12. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Coco's explanation of why she was Terri's campaign manager made a sort of sense, she could see why maybe the Wasp could list wanting to see a friend succeed as a motivation, but it still bothered her. Was that really enough to back someone's bid for sovereignhood in another Court? Were Terri and Coco really that close? She might just need to resign herself to the fact that she just didn't like how that had been handled, and move on to other issues. But damn, it was really bothering her. There was a decent chance she was a cynical stick in the mud, but it felt like this was something that should have been discussed by Autumns, for Autumn, and kept private from other factions. No matter how benign they claimed to be.

Maybe there's a little more Winter in me than I thought.

"If all Terri is concerned with is getting people into positions that best suit them, a private conversation with Ms. Jasons would suffice. She could make her endorsements and her voice would be heard; she doesn't hold her position for nothing. And the burden isn't going to be lessened by who holds it, it's always going to be a serious, weighty thing. What would make Terri better for our particular values and interests?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread