Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
(Bibliophile)Dinner, Wine and Doors

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Degnar
    Degnar

PRE

Degnar remained silent, listening to the exchange from his seat. At this point, he was content with absorbing as much information about what was going on. This trio had sworn a pledge to Gianna, so they were bound by their word to do as they had promised. HAL on the other hand was working on something much bigger than the Tunnelgrub had originally expected. He couldn't deny that there was a certain appeal to the whole thing. Being able to have early alarm systems, ways of monitoring the Gentry and their agents...all of it sounded too good to be true.

Hmmm, what if They found a way to turn it around and use it against us?

The Darkling was no computer wiz, but he assumed that such things were possible. Clearly, there were risks involved, and whether HAL was considering such risks or not remained to be seen. However, all of it was valuable information that he could pass along to his Queen. Then the talk about HAL's old Hollow caught his attention once more. Degnar had been there once before, and he recalled running into some smaller automatons. However, he had managed to maneuver mostly unnoticed and didn't really have much of a problem handling himself.

Its been a while though. Perhaps things look a bit different there now...

Lynn and Morgan brought an important point. After all, how were they going to deal with this automaton if they didn't really know what it was capable of? The fact that it had turned against its creator, and then managed to get the other automatons to join in the revolt was disconcerting. However, it was not as distressing as the fact that HAL couldn't deal with it himself, considering all the Hobs he had at his disposal and all.

Something smells fishy.

2. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post
    Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Presence: 2
    Freehold Status: 3
    Winter Mantle: 3
    Wyrd: 4
    Hidden Life: 1
    Rigid Mask
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Will/Health/Glamour

Willpower Max: 5

Health Max: 7

Glamour Max: 9/13
    Promises and Vows

Vow (Winter Freehold Commendation):
    Task: Fealty, Medial Alliance (Freeholders)
    Boon: Vassalage (+1 Clarity deg), Adroitness (+1 Empathy)
    Sanction: Medial Curse
    Duration: Year and a Day

Horn and Bone

Vow (Sharpened Horn and Bone):
    Task: Dreaming, Endeavor (stop nightmares)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy, Occult)
    Sanctions: Poisoning of Boon (Adroitness)

PRE

The explanation the Darkling at the table’s head gave of his project certainly sounded appealing. The conveniences and coordination of modern technology provided offered more than a little utility. HAL’s flare of mantle also made the idea seem even more profound. But the standing on the dark precipice of revelation could also make one keenly aware of all the unknowns. How would the Hedge react? What about the hobs? Would the devices work properly or would the fairy realm infect them somehow? What if the Hedge leaked through the electronics into the real world somehow? What if the Gentry hacked their network, stole personal and contact information, and tracked them down with GPS? And it was probably the last thought that gave Daniel most pause. He didn’t know a lot about how the Hedge worked or the different kinds of hobs, but he knew how easy hacking could be. And how devastating if put to the wrong use. Daniel wondered if HAL had thought of these things or if being at the center of his own mantle had flushed all doubt from his mind and he’d become the abyss he stared into. Horace’s mantle subsided and the conversation continued.

Daniel couldn’t help but notice that HAL seemed to have an excellent talent for getting himself run out places he lived. The King’s former Hollow, the Freehold, and, from what Hurley said, it was likely the Blues would be running HAL off from here soon too. Daniel had his suspicions that the last automaton might have had good reason to run the Levinquick out. Again Daniel thought it might possibly be better to ally with the Hedgespun rather than the changeling.

He was a little upset when Lynn dropped Gianna’s name. At least give deniability. He did have to agree with the Nightsinger that if HAL was asking them to head into a fight, he was climbing the wrong tree. Daniel had about zero combat experience and without Marcus they had a lot less than they’d started out with. It also concerned him that from what HAL was saying the journals were in the Hollow but the book was in his possession. It complicated things. He nodded in agreement when the others asked for more information. He’d bring up the idea of other alliances to the motley later out of earshot of HAL.
    Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4
    Rigid Mask / Hidden Life 1 / Winter Freehold Vow / Horn and Bone

4. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post

HAL | Darkling | Antiquarian/Levinquick
    Presence 3 (Haunted) | Distinctive Voice 2 (Robotic) | Mantle 5 (Autumn - Staring into the Unknown)

"She is my masterpiece," HAL replied, voice lowering as his eyes looked down into his wine. The word 'she' was obvious as was him growing deep in thought, reliving some past memory or some past regret. "Have any of you ever been obsessed/infatuated/focused with an idea? It was mine. After I fled the Freehold I returned there, a place of sanctuary. I would be protected. I had a dream of an automaton, one that could entertain/perform/comfort. I am not sure what happened but one night I was awoken to find it had developed. It was unique!"

"I will not bore you with the details but it soon took over the Hollow and my wards, my other creations, came to view it as their mother. Yet, there is a way for you to enter safely. I installed fail safes for such an occasion. Diplomacy/truce/peace. Under a flag of peace, you will be kept safe, even if you are there for any reason. Violence, naturally, will beget violence, theft the same. Words, however, fascinate my creations, as they fascinate their creator. Words are power, friends. This is how you will enter without harm. If I entered, I would meet my death for I am hated. You are not. It is this simple."

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

The Twilit Page rose an eyebrow as HAL started his tale. The story was disconcerting and made her worry. He created life and it "just" turned upon him? Morgan wish she knew the full details of why he'd been cast out of the Freehold. Whilst diplomacy being an option was good, it did bring up other concerns. Like making sure things didn't go too wrong whilst talking.

HAL's former toys might be willing to talk, but how would that let them get the books needed? If the automatons knew how dangerous the book was, to them, in HAL's hands would they not see taking it as a threat? Were there any phrases that could set them off?

Morgan sheepishly rose a hand in question, "Um, heh, t-t-this seems of-of import. Arrrr there any word-phrase that will really-truly up-up-up-piss them off? Ssstuff we should nade-never-ever s-s-speak?" Taking another sip of water, the raccoon continued on, "A-and um, heh, if neg-neg-talks come to passs, w-w-would asking for the journals v-v-v-vex them?"

If asking for the journals was enough for the automatons to attack, it was best to know before they tried.

Lynn Mills

Lynn ate a few more bites of dinner and washed them down with a bit of wine. "If theft is going to be met with force, we will also have have to attempt to bargain with them as well for the journals. If indeed," she nodded at Morgan, "simply asking for them will not anger them in the first place." She tapped her fingers on the table, thinking. "We'll need what ever you can tell us about how to get there and where the journals are being kept. And also where the book we need would be."

What would a set of Hedgespun automatons be willing to bargain for?

Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Presence: 2
    Freehold Status: 3
    Winter Mantle: 3
    Wyrd: 4
    Hidden Life: 1
    Rigid Mask
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Will/Health/Glamour

Willpower Max: 5

Health Max: 7

Glamour Max: 9/13
    Promises and Vows

Vow (Winter Freehold Commendation):
    Task: Fealty, Medial Alliance (Freeholders)
    Boon: Vassalage (+1 Clarity deg), Adroitness (+1 Empathy)
    Sanction: Medial Curse

Horn and Bone

Vow (Sharpened Horn and Bone):
    Task: Dreaming, Endeavor (stop nightmares)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy, Occult)
    Sanctions: Poisoning of Boon (Adroitness)

PRE

Violence begets violence. Daniel remembered seeing the wounds on the Blue and felt even more certain that the Antiquarian had inflicted them. What harms had HAL inflicted on mother or children to make him so hated he couldn’t step foot into his previous Hollow, even under a flag of truce?

Daniel waited for Morgan and Lynn’s questions to be answered. If getting the journals meant they would be attacked, then when or if they next met HAL, he’d expect the motley to be bloodied. If that was the case they might need Marcus to beat them up if they wanted things to look convincing.
    Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4
    Rigid Mask / Hidden Life 1 / Winter Freehold Vow / Horn and Bone

9. Likes Origins, Forn Clakes liked this post

Degnar
    Degnar

PRE

Degnar considered what HAL said about the automatons, wondering of how much use he would be in such a situation. After all, he was not very graceful when it came to social interactions. Perhaps the others were better at diplomacy, and could come up with a solid plan to retrieve the journals without much trouble. Regardless, he would go along with them in case things got complicated. If it came down to stealing the journals and slipping in and out unnoticed, he was their guy.

HAL | Darkling | Antiquarian/Levinquick
    Presence 3 (Haunted) | Distinctive Voice 2 (Robotic) | Mantle 5 (Autumn - Staring into the Unknown)

Interesting questions. Diodes flashed. HAL grinned.

"My library encompassed the entire east wing. I was very proud of it. The journals should still be therein."

No mention of the book the changeling's sought.

"I truly cannot say what would anger/vex/turn them. The last time I saw them, they were forcing me from the Hollow."

Lynn Mills

A slight grin crossed her face as Lynn listened. Of course HAL would not reveal where their target was before they agreed to get his journal in return. She took a sip of the excellent wine and nodded slightly to herself. They had come here to bargain after all, it seemed that this would simply take longer than expected. Turning slightly, she looked at the rest of her little Motley, raising one eyebrow questioningly.

"I believe that we can work something out, if we all are in agreement?."

Not that she trusted HAL in the slightest, but at the moment they had something that he needed.

13. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

A disappointed frown marred Morgan's face as she listened. HAL really hadn't told them much at all about his ex-minions. It would have been nice to know something amore bout them, and the lack of information was not helping the ex-Courtier gain any trust from the Twilit Page.

When Lynn asked them she nodded her head, "We-e-e can try, yes." She was making no promises or Pledges with HAL on this adventure and hoped her motley mates wouldn't either.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread