Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(Bibliophile)Dinner, Wine and Doors

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

After settling in at the Hollow tent set up in HAL's camp of cables and communication arrays, the motley of Lynn, Daniel, Morgan and Jag are allowed to eat some fruit to replenish themselves until they are eventually led through several tent flaps by one of the blue-skinned hobs to an impressive dining area, much grander than the mess area for the work-force. Observing the hob as it moves, it has a long-strided gait but it's arms barely move from it's side, any momentum in it's movements coming from a double-jointed hip joint, which seems to roll over itself rather than allow the ball-joint to swing like a human's would.

Which would be fascinating to anyone with a scientific or medical background. For those without such qualifications, it is simply disturbing a walk, capable of taking up several yards in each step. Large goggles cover it's eyes, shielding them from any glare and this particular hob has two glass 'fangs' that extend past it's upper lip, curling up out of it's lower jaw bone. Wearing a pair of leather pants and a protective leather jerkin, there are marks upon it from some violent confrontations. However, the creature doesn't seem to have any obvious weaponry, other than it's teeth.

HAL is waiting at a circular oaken table and looks as the Changelings are led in, ushering away the hob with a nod, which it does immediately.

"Come, my friends/allies/guests, sit and help yourselves," the Darkling says with his robotic voice, indicating the seats around the table. Food has already been laid out and it is obvious that the meats, vegetables and other consumables on offer are those that are preserved for extended life. "I apologize for the meager/poultry/unappetizing offerings. I have managed to locate/find/resource a fine '67 vintage," he adds, indicating the wine before him. Other than that, it seems that water is the only other beverage.

Glamour pools are refreshed due to the fruits from the mess room. Anyone who succeeds on a Wits + Empathy or Socialize roll can tell that HAL is not very happy with the state of the dinner. 3+ successes indicates that he is actually quite seething with something. E-suxx indicates that his ire is towards the blue-skinned hobs, who have no doubt prepared the meal

Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Presence: 2
    Freehold Status: 3
    Winter Mantle: 3
    Wyrd: 4
    Hidden Life: 1
    Rigid Mask
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Will/Health/Glamour

Willpower Max: 5

Health Max: 7

Glamour Max: 9/13
    Promises and Vows

Vow (Winter Freehold Commendation):
    Task: Fealty, Medial Alliance (Freeholders)
    Boon: Vassalage (+1 Clarity deg), Adroitness (+1 Empathy)
    Sanction: Medial Curse
    Duration: Year and a Day

Horn and Bone

Vow (Sharpened Horn and Bone):
    Task: Dreaming, Endeavor (stop nightmares)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy, Occult)
    Sanctions: Poisoning of Boon (Adroitness)

PRE

Daniel followed the Blue, the fruit helping to loosen the knot in his gut. The deeper into the tent they went the more it felt they were walking further into the basement of a slasher film. He kept his eyes on their guide which actually helped distract Daniel a little. He wondered at first if it was injured in some way due to its gait, though it didn’t seem in any pain due to walking at least. Maybe that was just the way it walked? He also wondered whether its other healed injuries were caused by other Blues or by HAL. However, walking the several steps behind it, Daniel couldn’t tell if the marks were made by glass or something else. And just like that the knot came back.

Arriving at the oaken table the pit in his stomach dropped a bit further. Daniel could sense that HAL was not pleased. Still, taking a seat the Gravewight did his best to project calmness.

“Thanks for taking the time to talk with us,” he said. Instinctively he reached and poured himself a glass of water to avoid being offered an intoxicant.

Date Action Roll Result
    2015-02-18 14:27:59 Daniel Leto rolls 3 to What sort of violent confrontation? Int+Med (10 Again) 4, 4, 4 failure

Date Action Roll Result
    2015-02-18 14:14:24 Daniel Leto rolls 7 to Wits+Empathy (10 Again) 2, 9, 1, 2, 9, 7, 7 2 successes
    Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4
    Rigid Mask / Hidden Life 1 / Winter Freehold Vow / Horn and Bone

3. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post

Lynn Mills

Lynn smiled at their host as she sat down and settled her things to one side. "Well now, with all the work you've been investing in this extraordinary venture, you could hardly be expected to prepare a 5 star meal on next to no notice." She reached out and took a small sip of the wine, as it seems that their host had gone to some effort to find it. "I'm afraid that I know next to nothing about fine wines, but I do appreciate the chance to sample one."

Leaning back in her chair, Lynn looked around at the strangely (for the Hedge!) altered landscape. "I understand that you are a researcher of some note; might I inquire what you hope to achieve with this experiment?"

5. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

The fruit in her stomach didn't help to ease the tension Morgan felt as the followed the blue hob, Way to scary and scarred for a smurf. The odd walking set off instinctive feelings of wrongness, the traceur knew enough to know that the blue hob's legs were abnormal in structure. The scars were another point of concern: did it get them before or after serving HAL? By whom was the second question that came to mind. How those two were answered could be very unsettling. She really hoped a former Courtier of their Freehold hadn't been inflicting the injuries.

Meep
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-02-19 06:51:34 Morgan Bellanar rolls 5 to Wits Empathy (10 Again) 1, 9, 10, 9, 7, 2 3 successes

Following to the oaken table, her tension sky rocketed at HAL's obvious displeasure. She flinched back, leaves poofing around her feet, as she noticed just how pissed off he was about the food. What did he expect they'd be insulted he didn't have instant 5 star meal with the push of a button...well, given the Wyrd quite possible. Morgan rose both hands into a placatory gesture, "T-t-t-tis a fine meal b-b-by my standards, heh-heh. Yerrr hospitality is mmost kind-d and generous. I-I-I am most appreciative, heh-heh, r-r-r-really."

Morgan took a seat beside Lynn but turned down the wine, sending an apologetic look to HAL, "Sorry-sorry. I j-j-just don't drink amongst the t-thorns, heh. Too-validly-paranoid about t-the dangers to be drunk-buzzed, heh." So she only sampled the water.

The Twilit Page nodded along with Lynn's words, trusting it to her friend, who unlike Morgan lacked a speech impediment, to schmooze up HAL. She'd only add her voice if she felt it was needed.

7. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post

Degnar
    Degnar

PRE

Degnar followed the others reluctantly as they were lead to HAL's table. His black beady eyes surveyed the area around them, remaining alert as they searched for any signs of danger. Once they are offered to seat at the table with HAL, the Tunnelgrub offered a tip of his hat to the host. "Thanks for your hospitality," he said to the robotic Darkling before taking a seat. He politely declined the wine, opting to drink water instead. After all, it was best to keep his wits about him in case things got...complicated.

9. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post

HAL | Darkling | Antiquarian/Levinquick
    Presence 3 (Haunted) | Distinctive Voice 2 (Robotic) | Mantle 5 (Autumn - Staring into the Unknown)

As the changelings took their seats, HAL poured three glasses of water and a glass of wine for Lynn and one also for himself before smiling and taking a seat. Sparks emitted across the cables as he picked up his glass and held it aloft.

"To Sacramento. A home to many, even those who no longer live/reside/rest there."

Once his toast was made, the Antiquarian sipped at the wine, savoring the taste, a hundred blinking lights flashing across his skin as his senses came to life at the fine vintage. Closing his eyes, HAL took the flavor in and memorized it's particular intricacies for future reference.

His eyes opened as the glass is placed back on the table and he gestured to the food on offer. "Help yourselves. You must be hungry/famished/fatigued. It is a long journey from the Freehold."

With a fork, HAL skewered a piece of thickly sliced pork product that could be mistaken for beef due to it's consistency and colour. Still, he didn't seem worried about it as he added some pickles to his plate followed by some dried apricots.

"Mr. Goyle has informed me that you have offered some pieces of equipment/resources/gadgets for our project here, which has already been implemented into the Hedge Network; a working title, I assure you. I have yet to finialize anything," the Darkling comments with a small grin, cutting at the meat and placing it in his mouth. He chews quietly, movements minimal as he did so, cutlery held at an angle yet without a tremor. After several seconds (or 12 chews to anyone counting) he swallows before continuing. "He also explained some of your situation. Perhaps if I could hear it from your fine selves, then I shall see what I can do to assist. I am sure we can come to some mutually beneficial arrangement if necessary."

Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Presence: 2
    Freehold Status: 3
    Winter Mantle: 3
    Wyrd: 4
    Hidden Life: 1
    Rigid Mask
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Will/Health/Glamour

Willpower Max: 5

Health Max: 7

Glamour Max: 9/13
    Promises and Vows

Vow (Winter Freehold Commendation):
    Task: Fealty, Medial Alliance (Freeholders)
    Boon: Vassalage (+1 Clarity deg), Adroitness (+1 Empathy)
    Sanction: Medial Curse

Horn and Bone

Vow (Sharpened Horn and Bone):
    Task: Dreaming, Endeavor (stop nightmares)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy, Occult)
    Sanctions: Poisoning of Boon (Adroitness)

PRE

Daniel considered what they should tell HAL as he returned the toast and drank some his water. The Antiquarian’s voice buzzed in his mind as he tried to think. He had little doubt that HAL would try to recruit them to his cause. Why else would he have them to explain what they needed if not to have better footing for a counter offer. Which left them to either offer misdirection or firm enough footing that HAL couldn’t hope to change their set path. Misdirection was simple enough. Just change the subject and ask the darkling about his project. However, that didn’t get them the data they needed about the former King’s Hollow. On the other hand, the only firm enough footing Daniel could think of was to reveal their pledge. The pledge itself didn’t say they needed to be successful in finding the Hollow but with the right wording that wasn’t a problem. That option did leave them open to potential exploitation through said pledge though. If HAL did have information readily on hand, then they would need to pursue. On the other other if HAL did have such info, shouldn’t they pursue it? Looking at Horace, Daniel did feel like he was looking at a man who knew unfathomable things.

Daniel set down his glass with a serene smile.

“I’m going to assume you know about Fairweather’s attack and all the people that died in it,” he said congenially “Well, we,” he indicated his fellow changelings “don’t want something like that to happen again.”

“We have reliable word of mouth that there’s some data in your old Hollow that could be used to help defeat the Dragon. We are trying to get those records. Sworn an oath to that effect in fact. However, given the possibilities that some of the wards might still be active, we thought it wise to come to you first for directions on how to safely enter and search through the Hollow. From the looks of your current extensive enterprise our choice seems even more wise. The amount of wire passing through the Hedge and the mass of hobgoblins is truly impressive. I have to admit I’m curious about its purpose.”

Daniel kept a tranquil expression.

Two birds with one stone. They got an explanation of HAL’s current endeavors (hopefully) and established a position of strength. If HAL wanted to change their course, whatever he offered them had better be good.
    Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4
    Rigid Mask / Hidden Life 1 / Winter Freehold Vow / Horn and Bone

12. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post

HAL | Darkling | Antiquarian/Levinquick
    Presence 3 (Haunted) | Distinctive Voice 2 (Robotic) | Mantle 5 (Autumn - Staring into the Unknown)

Some time passed as HAL plopped another piece of the obviously canned meat into his mouth and chewed, seemingly considering Daniel's words. Lights flashed across his cranium but slightly slower than before, steadily, taking in the information he knew and coming to one simple answer.

"Gianna sent you, did she not?" HAL asked after swallowing and placing down his cutlery to pick up his wine glass. "Only she has the resources/means/spies available to know what I may or may not have in my possession. It is fine. That lady has been around much longer than most and has many secrets to keep of her own. However, you would not be interested in petty squabbles between the elderly/ancient/superiors," he added with a lopsided grin, the Darkling's face stretching, causing a single diode to flash just above his left eye. When it seemed he would continue, the topic changed once again.

"My work here is precious to me," he began, the wine glass returning to the table. "The Hedge, as you are no doubt aware, is a psychosomatic, resonating/reacting/evolving to the emotions of those that pass by it and reacts more acutely to those with powerful Mantles and those who have a stronger connection to the Wyrd. My research has led me to believe that it is possesses properties very much like fiber-optic cabling in the mundane world, sending empathic messages through it's thorns and brambles as a means of communication. It is also my belief/understanding/comprehension that the Gentry utilize this in their own alien ways. Why shouldn't we?" he asks rhetorically, eyes glowing with absolute certainty in his obsession. "Can you imagine the potential? Satellite navigation through the Hedge, cell phone access, early-warning systems against Gentry incursions, rapid/swift/fast-response to those who stumble back from their bonds? This could be the true weapon needed to finally hold the True Fae back from the world!"

During his monologue, HAL has risen to his feet, appearing taller as he explained his project, his Mantle enveloping them all, causing the motley to feel as if they are standing on the edge of a great pit and staring down into a well of unknown darkness.

It is what happens to those who have suffered much mind-shattering revelations.

Pressing flat his red tie with the palm of his left hand, HAL returns to his seat and takes a gulp of wine.

"However, without a certain series of journals that reside in my Hollow, I am unable to fully realize this dream. Obviously, you are most probably thinking why can't I return there myself? Well, a very good question. I am a creator of Hedgespun also; automatons mostly. Many of them reside in my Hollow but my last creation was very, very unique. However, when it rallied/ensnared/manipulated the others against me, I was out. If you retrieve my journals, or better yet, remove this obstacle/hurdle/monstrosity, I will give you a means to destroy Baron Fairweather. A very special book indeed."

And there was the offer.

Lynn Mills

Lynn sipped the fine wine, taking a moment to savor it; and to recover from the effects of HAL's mantle. "Gianna did send us, that is quite true. And while I may personally find the 'interactions' between the some of the powers of our our world, I will agree that we could leave that for another time." She carefully placed the wine glass back down and sampled some of the food before them, chewing thoughtfully. "And I agree, your project could be incredibly ... useful." And dangerous.

"As for gaining access to your Hollow. I assume that anything that was capable of standing against you, even for a short while, must be formidable indeed. If we were to go up against it, we would need to know everything we could about it. Perhaps you could even suggest some weapon to use against it." As Gianna had stated, they would do anything possible to stop Fairweather. Retrieving the journals would be a carefully considered chance. If they retrieved the journals or disabled the automaton, they would still have a bit of time before HAL's plans came to anything. They would have a chance to step in and keep the disaster looming above like a thundercloud from striking them all down. It would be like juggling a series of flaming sticks. The trick would be to catch each in succession, deal with it and then move on to the next.

And not get burned.

15. Likes Origins liked this post

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

The feast personally appealed to Morgan. She'd done dumpster diving in Chicago and honestly preferred foods that took time to spoil. So canned foods were quite enjoyable to her as she sampled some of the...produce and meat products.

Hedge Network? A giant computer in the Hedge, a place that had a tendancy to warp mundane objects, not to mention people, into fae things? Morgan shuddered as many ways that could go wrong came to her. And he'd already made automatons, oh robots, that had rebelled? That didn't bode well with her prior concerns. Nor did it lessen her concerns for HAL's mental state, hopefully the things were simply malfunctioning and not some type of slave revolt.

Morgan raised a hand, like a student trying to get the teacher's attention. But Lynn beat her to the punch,
    "Um, heh-heh, ssshe," pointing to Lynn, "kinda already said what I wanna tah ask, heh-heh. More details on potential foes be-be-be good: sensory ability, de-defense, offense, rrrelative intelligence, heh."

They could also look into why the automatons had rebelled. Maybe the things just hated HAL, which the man certainly wouldn't admit to, or weren't of the "kill all fleshbags" variety. Right, and maybe one day Morgan will slay a Keeper with a bazooka.

17. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread