DISPLAYED
(Cabal) Cabal With No Name

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Free Council

Temoins du Sud, Doorwarden
    Crowley

Free Council

PRE

"A resonance related to borderlands, transition or the change of one state into another, would fit if we are taking the part of Edge Tenders," Crowley mused, his eyes fixed on the map. "Same with the name: Watch or Guard or something like that."

Gyges
    Gyges

PRE

"Témoins du Sud?" Gyges finally suggests as a name. He had thought for a bit, listening to what everyone was saying and trying to put it together in a way that fit. He clarifies after a moment. "Southern Witnesses in French? We're in the south part of the city, we're keeping an eye out. The Great Refusal always reminds me of Revolutionary France when I think about it. It's a bit of a nod to your order and the foreign language gives just the smallest bit of cachet that English doesn't. It's not Latin, so it doesn't look too much like we're trying to copy Panthera Nox, or at least they can't accuse us of it without looking incredibly petty about it." He shrugs. "We could always go Greek. Μάρτυρες του Νότου."

He looks at Einstein and considers how to say what he needs to say. "The desired resonance of our Hallow needs to say something about us and our goals, Einstein. It's just as important as the Name, even if we're the only ones that are aware of what it says. If we take a Hallow that puts off energy related to change, it suggests that we are allies of change. That we won't let ourselves get tied down to outmoded thoughts and practices just because they are comfortable. We are willing to push our limits and try new things. We can start by checking up on the abandoned Hallows of cabals from the past, but that wont take up all our time." He taps his fingers on the map, considering roles.

"In fact," he starts, having an idea. "We can adopt an elemental symbolism and tie positions to them. Air to Farseeker, Earth to Doorwarden, Fire to Hearthmaster, Water to Lorekeeper and Spirit to Edgetender?" He looks to the others, seeking feedback on his suggestions.

Free Council

Crowley

Free Council

PRE

Crowley looks up, at no one in particular, as he runs the prospective names through his mouth, toying and playing with the words. To anyone else, it sounds like he's butchering the words.

"Eh... I'll go with the french, yeah?" He ponders aloud at last. "No way I can do Greek. And I like the elemental touch. Kind of alchemical and old style magic. And it would make us stand out a bit. Ah. And I'll take any roll you care to dump on me. Maybe more of a Door Warden... I don't know. With a bit of work I guess I could do Hearth Master - give me an excuse to play around with my... erm... wards. And stuff."

4. Likes Teeramus liked this post
    Status (Academia) ••
    Occultation •••
    Einstein
    Nimbus

Einstein's Nimbus manifests as a light surrounding her, often covering up her features with its brightness. When triggered by her Vice, it takes on an eerie blue glow and seems to be coming from some opening behind her. When triggered by her Virtue, it manifests as an angelic glow about her, sometime accompanied by a halo-seeming thing above her head.

PRE

Einstein shrugs non-commitally. "I still don't get it, but everyone else seems to like it, so I'm willing to concede the point. I'm not going to spend every second of my day making sure it doesn't spontaneously explode on us though." She took a pause to figure out her role. "I've always seen myself as a Lorekeeper. I guess I could do something else, but it doesn't seem like anyone else wants that spot, and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone better suited than me. I can even make Grimoires and share my rotes. Although, that name...I like the concept, but...it seems that at least one of us already has a hard time pronouncing it. Do we really want our name to be butchered every time someone wants to call us?" She nods at the elemental symbolism idea. "I like that, although that isn't much of a 'new' thing in itself. Elemental symbolism is everywhere. But, there's not much else we can use that's original enough to not have been used, so I'm okay with it."

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

Spiders: EGuard(3P,self)

PRE

"Very interesting ideas," remarks Truce to Damascus and Gyges. "I'll say that I'm partial to the idea of being Witnesses, both to the affairs of the Fallen World and the Unseen. If we're deciding on language though, I don't think a foreign one necessarily brings more prestige unless there's a distinct purpose in it. You've noted Revolutionary France as an inspiration? A nod to our Free Council members? I suppose that could work. For myself it reminds me of Jacques Lacan and his work on the psychology of language. He extrapolates on Freud's power and influence of words and how language creates dissonance in the 'interpretive paradigm'. Not unlike this Atlantean language I've heard so much about," he comments, though doesn't seem to offer a replacement for the the current choice in name.

"For roles, I have a fair bit of academic experience and I'll be providing a modest library so I might be suited for Lorekeeper. Or my experience with Death would provide a sense of approaching danger as Door Warden, and as my Ghostly companion will be providing a small level of security. Or my experience in psychological therapy would make better use as a mediator, the Hearthmaster, though I suppose that's a bit presumptuous of me. I trust as mature intelligent adults we won't have need for such mediation. But we are decided on our goals? Edgetending and bringing positive change to the city? If there are any doubts perhaps we aught to voice them now?"

Gyges
    Gyges

PRE

While everyone speaks, Gyges traces a shape with the lid of the marker on the map over and over again. He looks at Truce with narrowed eyes. "You seem like more of an Air person to me Truce. How 'bout this. Truce for Farseeker, Crowley for Doorwarden, Einstein for Lorekeeper and Damascus for Edgetender." He finishes with a nod to Damascus. "That leaves me for Hearthmaster. Damascus, considering your Spirit focus, that gives us a future direction to focus on with the Shadow once we get our initial reports on the abandoned sites set up."

"If people can learn to pronounce Einstein, Damascus and Gyges and whatever word in whatever exotic language they choose for their Shadow Names, then they can learn to pronounce Témoins du Sud." Gyges responds to Einstein with very little slack given to these hypothetical people who hypothetically can't pronounce things. "But if you have a better suggestion Einstein, then by all means share it with us."

Einstein struck him as someone who was terribly impressed with her own importance and expected others to not question her because of it.

He also gives Truce another nod. "What can you tell us about your ghost?"

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

Spiders: EGuard(3P,self)

PRE

"I'll take that as a compliment," replies Truce to Gyges in the context of the suggested element. "Strange that you'd place me in one of the two positions I didn't suggest, but I understand that we all have a lot to offer and it's not going to be a perfect fit. I can assist you and the others in your tasks where needed but I can focus my efforts on the physical needs of the Cabal as the Hand."

"I'm certainly interested in hearing your suggestion for a name, Einstein. We needn't decide right this moment if you'd like a moment to think it over. As for my own suggestion, we could go with something simple, like Solemn Witness or Polar Witness, polar in the sense of significance as well as directional placement. Make it plural if you like. But I won't make a fuss if Crowley and Damascus are on board with Témoins du Sud." He tries out the name, wondering if he's done the pronunciation justice.

Finally, Truce addresses Gyges's question regarding his Ghost. "Her name is Chelsea. She was murdered by the Scelesti. I knew her in life and so she trusts me. She's not an altogether potent specter, but she is self-aware after working with her for a time. That's really all I'd care to share regarding her past. She's limited in her abilities, but she is able to frighten away weak-willed invaders that may come in handy. I'd be happy to introduce you once we've decided on a location to occupy."

Status (Academia) ••
    Occultation •••
    Einstein
    Nimbus

Einstein's Nimbus manifests as a light surrounding her, often covering up her features with its brightness. When triggered by her Vice, it takes on an eerie blue glow and seems to be coming from some opening behind her. When triggered by her Virtue, it manifests as an angelic glow about her, sometime accompanied by a halo-seeming thing above her head.

PRE

Einstein glares at Gyges. "I don't have a better suggestion, I'm simply presenting a logical argument as to why it wouldn't be a good choice. I wasn't aware that that was grounds for a verbal attack. But if you're all so confident that it'll work out, fine. I will accept the will of the majority." What a great Hearthmaster he'd make, attacking others the instant they pointed out flaws in his plan. "I'm personally happy with those positions." She quieted down to pay attention to Truce and nodded respectfully when he finished. "So we have an extra member, then?"

E
    Eris

So, he’s offering me the one position that I told him I wasn’t sure I could handle? Well I did say I was up for the challenge…

“Well the name works for me. As for Edgetender I'll do the best I can in the role.”

I might need to pester Einstein until she agrees to help...

The Shaman nods to herself as she gathers her resolve, then smiling, raises an eyebrow toward their maître du foyer. “Wanna have all the titles follow the French theme?”

As Truce related the woeful tale of his spectral companion the Shaman’s face fell. “I’m sorry Truce.” She was tempted to enfold the Moros in a comforting embrace but wasn’t sure how his prim and proper adherence to protocol would weather the situation. Turning to Einstein she arched the same brow for a second time in so brief a span.

Just the one aye?

Free Council

Crowley

Free Council

PRE

Crowley's attention had drifted back to the map. Looking up he re-engaged with the conversation.

"I like the division of labour, Gyges. Its a good starting point. And... if things don't quite work out I guess we can just juggle hats."

When Damascus made her question, the Acanthus found himself turning to Gyges as well. "Could be fun?" He ventured carefully.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread