Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1410) Ventrue Dread Lords and Ladies

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up
    The Prince's Ghoul • Cozette Muriel
    The Prince's Ghoul • Olivette Angeline

+1
    SL
    PRE

Eyebrows raised slightly as the tattooed man spoke, then settled when it was apparent he would not continue. For a moment, he'd thought the man had sabotaged Josephine with a deftness that was simply sublime: that she would make an excellent Whip rather than Priscus.

Play a game long enough, and well enough, and you learn that the most dangerous opponent is the unskilled and unpredictable one. Ninety-nine times out of hundred, they'll be soundly beaten. The hundredth? They'll do something so incoveivable that it turns the board on it's end. This was not one of those times. In the silence that followed, he realized that the man wasn't making his own bid, but assuming Josephine had referred to a singular availability.

Frankly, he was surprised the Carthian hadn't pounced on the opportunity.

As the conversation settled into something more predictable, he noted the newcomer's ambition, then Hildegarde's.

Interesting. I wonder if her recent... living arrangements... spurred this?

They were fine words. It was unfortunate, until this moment, he had only seen the woman as Lord once before in the year or two she had been in the Domain. Describing something was one thing; embodying it, another. Josephine Sterling had led the meeting since the beginning.

And yet -- Hildegarde was right. An unknown had claimed the title previously, and here they sat. Josephine Sterling was an unknown, and Hildegarde had resided in the city for some time -- however lackluster that residency had proven to be.

"I'd like to add a small item,"
    he began, looking around the table. "In the future, I would prefer new arrivals to be Acknowledged by our Priscus. This will obviously require time and availability at Court -- so please consider that."

He paused, and his eyes moved between Hildegarde and Josephine.

"A Priscus should be the paragon of their clan. Some mistake this for simple Mastery of our Blood, but I'd like to think that it should be a mastery over our Blood right. When someone meets, or thinks of, the Priscus of the Ventrue, there should be no question that this person represents what it means to lead -- representing our Family not just by title, but by embodiment. And so I would ask, for our consideration, in what way are you Lords? Perhaps, without revealing anything secret, success within your Covenant, or the Domain at large."
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

2. Likes Cayce, Forn Clakes, Wod.Infant liked this post

Blood Potency ●● (Aspect of the Predator)
    Presence ●●●● (Magnetic)
    Distinctive Voice ●● (Husky)
    Status ● (City)
    Edwin Bridges

PRE

The tattooed Lord ignored Ashley; he couldn't bare to look her way. Instead, he focused on the others around the table, and it slowly dawned on him just how much of an idiot he had been in misinterpreting Josephine's intent. Velma's words were ringing in his ear still and somehow, he could hear her laughter echoing in his mind, his naivete in this playing field exposed for all to see.

Still, was he wrong in his mistake? Surely, the Prince should be Priscus? That point had confused him the last time they were together, back when Galloway had taken the mantle of Clan leader.

Tribulation Brings Enlightenment.

This game was beyond him. For now. Still, it would seem he was surrounded by masters or wannabe-masters. Some things rub off. He grinned as Cameron spoke, followed by Josephine and then Hildegarde, whom he could hardly recall what she sounded like, it had been so long. Still, she made a fairly good point or two.

Then, His Majesty spoke, and Edwin really took note, the grin fading to a content smile. At Court all the time? Check.

A pause following the Prince's words before Edwin spoke. "If I may? I am honoured to be surrounded by cousins who seem to be able to teach me so much in such a short space of time. When Miss Sterling mentioned the position of Whip, well, I naturally assumed she was speaking for herself," he smiled, cocking his head slightly. "My mistake. I assumed, and we all know the little ditty about assumptions, that His Majesty would be our rightful Priscus." A bow of his head towards Asa marking the respect he had for the Prince, quickly learning the trait from Levine. "It seems I had completely missed the mark on that one." An honest smile, one that showed he was still a neonate in this Gilded Cage.

"I am a tattooist with ambition," he continued, flexing his fingers out on the table. "Within my Covenant, I have earned the title of Skald, one who reminds my fellow Acolytes of this and of that. In the main, however, I have to be brutally honest with them, so they remember their way if they slip or require guidance. I am proud of my place and the role I embody but that does not mean I remain stagnant. Outside of the Circle, there are those who roam the streets that need a firm hand. One night, I will guide them also."
    Scenes

Thomas Galilei

Blood Potency: O O
    Presence: O O O (Dignified)
    O Status: Lancea Sanctum
    O Status: Domain
    O Status: Ventrue
    OO Distinctive Voice: Quiet Certainty

PRE

Notices Hildegard's Watchful Wariness of the Doorway
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-20 15:58:28 Thomas Galilei rolls 5 to Notice Hildegard Watching Doorway: 2 (WITS) + 3 (COMP) = 5 DP (10 Again) 5, 3, 1, 9, 6 1 success

Thomas waits for an opportune silence, before trying to address the questions on the table.

Josephine's first, since she'd asked first: "I can't speak for Mr. Levine, as I don't know him. But, at a glance, he does display the initiative and boldness of imposition I believe the duty calls for. Someone I know for a fact to have these qualities also is Mr. Harold Thorne . Perhaps the appointment of Whip could flow from the appointment of Priscus? Certainly the two should have some sort of chemistry, if not also a complimentary skill set. I imagine the Priscus, whoever that shall be, should like a say in who their associate is."

To Ms. Bingen, who'd spoken next: "I agree completely with your assessment, and with the Prince's subsequent use of that assessment, as well as his own addendum, in the measurement of our candidates. While it may true that Mister--Galloway, was it?--was a newcomer, gone in a flash, I'm not sure it follows that Ms. Sterling, who shares that quality of newness, will necessarily share his quality of lacking commitment. The two are not related, and while we should learn from the past, it seems best that we not be bound by bias because of it . . . my, that's a lot of 'b's." He smiles, to take the edge off his statement.

Thomas doesn't address the Prince's question, with reference to himself, because he's not sure it's directed at him--the spotlight for candidates at present seems to be between Josephine and Hildegard. "I won't speak for either Lady, before they've had their turn to do it themselves, but am prepared to vouch in ways for either. I will say, that between such candidates, a bad decision doesn't seem possible, but one may be better than another." Having the room's attention, Thomas pauses, startles himself quickly, looking at the doorway in an effort to spook Hildegard Yumyumcrow , and make his point.

Performance, Startled
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-20 16:00:39 Thomas Galilei rolls 6 to Perfomance, Startled: 3 (MAN) + 3 (Expression) = 6 DP (10 Again) 5, 2, 10, 7, 2, 6, 7 1 success
    =====================
    Active Effects: Blush; Kamen: Tatemae (Perfect Calm)

Scenes

=====================

5. Likes Yumyumcrow, Cayce liked this post

PRE

So the woman had a voice. Most interesting. Still, Josephine was not perturbed. The ignorance her rival had openly admitted was leverage the Sanctified could use against her. "Miss Bingen, you speak very well, and you do seem to have a firm grasp upon the nature of things. What they, are, perhaps, but not why they are. Allow me to explain," she declared, steepling her fingers.

"And, do pardon me, Mr. Bridges," she continued as an aside, "I'm sure what I say next will seem quite drole to you, but perhaps try to suffer through it as though it were an exercise in theology. Now then." Dark eyes turned back upon her assembled clan.

"Free will is the greatest gift that God lent humanity. Without it, Felix Culpa could not exist. The fortunate fall. Suffice it to say, God lent humanity free will so that they might truly understand the full depths of joy, and the full glory of existence. For what lends insight into these things but the knowledge of their opposites. Thus mankind had to fall, to suffer, to truly know grace, and to know bliss.

"I'm sure, at this point, you're all probably wondering just what is my point, having said all this. Well, I shall tell you. I shall speak plainly now. Of all the Damned, only one clan was gifted with the power to actually obliterate free will. The Lord Himself does not even infringe upon that gift. For that, he created us, specifically for the purpose of undermining mankind's assumption that free will is a given, and not a gift. So that they might know just how precious it truly is, and this is the most direct means of bringing the Lord's work into the mind of man.

"No other clan possesses this ability. The Daeva might have some measure of influence over the heart, and emotion, but this is still not the same as the utter, irrevocable replacement of Will. Thus the lord gifted them with the speed and strength to wreak Job like atrocities in their wake, for that is their purpose. The Mekhet are quite different in that they are gifted with a taste of the omniscience that the Lord possesses, thus allowing them to pry into the affairs of mankind better, but this is not the same as the ability to utterly decide the affairs of mankind. The Nosferatu, pitiful as they might be, make the Daeva pale in their role as punishers, for they truly posses the capacity to inflict the Lord's wrath upon mankind. They are the most monstrous of Holy Monsters, but they are limited and unfitting to deliver naught but the most brutal of messages. And, lastly, the Gangrel are creatures of the Garden, of base creation, and as they are able to twist nature, that which mankind dwells in, they remind Mankind of its sanctity and the bounty therein. Yet, we also possess this ability. Of all the clans, we are the most true to our purpose, to the Lord's purpose. This I know, and with this knowledge I am best able to utilize what the Lord has given our Blood. One that understands that we lead might not make for a failure of a Priscus, but one who knows why we lead, and why the other clans are as they are, will do far better. This is why I would recommend myself," Josephine finished, nodding to her family.

7. Likes Wod.Infant, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    W
    Walker

Harold nodded his thanks to Galilei, support should never be seen to be ignored, it set a bad precedent. On that theme, he cleared his throat and voiced a concern that had been steadily building as the two women verbally fenced before the Duke. "If I may make a point, Ms. Sterling, Ms. Bingen. You both wax lyrical regarding the other clans, but you dismiss them far too easily. It is good that you have such high regard for our blood, but you must know that rulers must compromise if they want to remain rulers. You both seem to be fully capable of bearing the mantle of leadership, but you would not be Ventrue if you did not. But we do not need a General, Pontiff, or Philosopher-King. We need a Politician, someone capable of persuasion as well as domination, as skilled in the dark art of Realpolitik as pretty speachmaking." He pauses for a second, before focusing on Josephine, and firing off his closing statement. "You say you know why we lead. Perhaps you should be telling us how you will lead." There may have been fire in his statement, but it was the fire of the crucible rather than the pyre. If you can't give as good as you get, you should give up kindred politics and take up something safer, like alligator dentistry.

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up
    The Prince's Ghoul • Cozette Muriel
    The Prince's Ghoul • Olivette Angeline

+1
    SL
    PRE

Idiot.

Whatever opinion he'd held of Thomas Galilei, it had been lowered by the man's antics. Forget that he could have startled an unstable Elder into Frenzy. Forget that he chose a line of attack which did nothing but call attention to the failings of their own Blood -- and thus; all of them.

"It is a shame our opinions of your chosen contender are now colored with guilt by association, rather than by being impressed she had managed to inspire loyalty in someone competent or remarkable,"
    he said to Galilei drily, cold eyes sliding away dismissively with the final word.

It was a meeting of Lords, not an audition for Marcel Marceau's Biography.

"Actually, I'd like to add a practical application of Mister Thorne's question. Aside from Acknowledgment, a Prisci should also be responsible for the... behavior... of their Clan. Let us say..."
    Asa's eyes drifted upward, searching for a random example.

"Let us say that a Reeve's Deputy informed you that a cousin had been found to be squatting. How would you handle this?"
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

Thomas Galilei

Blood Potency: O O
    Presence: O O O (Dignified)
    O Status: Lancea Sanctum
    O Status: Domain
    O Status: Ventrue
    OO Distinctive Voice: Quiet Certainty

PRE

Shit. Excess: the danger of zeal. And bad timing at that. He does his best not to squirm in his seat. This is going to hurt. You reap what you sow.
    =====================
    Active Effects: Blush; Kamen: Tatemae (Perfect Calm)

Scenes

=====================

Blood Potency ●● (Aspect of the Predator)
    Presence ●●●● (Magnetic)
    Distinctive Voice ●● (Husky)
    Status ● (City)
    Edwin Bridges

PRE

Drole? Edwin thought as Josephine began, wondering where she was.....going.....with.....Hel on earth! Did I fall asleep? Blink, Eddie. But....all the words....

When the larger Lord spoke, Edwin couldn't help but smile. Not remembering ever meeting Harold before, the tattooist held some appreciation of how he had cut to the chase with only a few words.

And then the Prince spoke and Edwin had to stop himself from chuckling. The image of two Courts ago ensured he did not do so in His Majesties presence.

"Would anyone be so dumb?" Edwin joked, finding it quite hard to believe. Interlocking his fingers, Edwin stated his thoughts despite not being in the running for any position within the Clan, simply offering his honest views, as much as anyone counted them.

"Personally, I would wish to speak with the cousin to hear whether they would even bother to lie about such a thing. After that, I would make it clear that for their sheer stupidity, they would need to seek out whomever they had wronged and accept whatever punishment is deserved. Obviously, I would leave the site of the transgression to the authorities. I, for one, know the laws."
    Scenes

Cameron sits back and waves a hand "If it were me, then the first thing I would probably do is ask the Reeve's Deputy who else he had informed of this before me, and who else he would inform after. His answer would dictate my following course of action. If such a thing could be dealt with quietly, in clan, then it would do well for the sake of the family's public image to do so. It is important that to all outside observers we embody our nickname - Lords - even when some of us are less than lordly in action." Cameron's gaze flicked to the Prince as he finishes - well aware that his answer did not exactly fall perfectly within the letter of the law. He had perceived it as a question regarding clan business first and domain second, but the Prince was the Prince was the Prince.

His presence certainly creates the potential for awkward clan meetings
    Cameron Levine - BP2 - Ventrue, Invictus

13. Likes West, Cayce liked this post
    Ashley Cohen
    Presence
    (Resolute)
    Striking Looks
    (Fashionable / Piercing Blue Eyes)
    Blood Potency
    Ashley Cohen

Blush Active in Scenes
    Scenes

+2
    SL
    PRE

Ashley glanced up for a moment as this played out as much as she thought it would. The Second Estate wasn't known for its political savvy, so the circle-jerk nomination between Josephine and Thomas was to be expected. Ashley had expected the First Estate to make a better show, and was not disappointed when Levine threw down for Whip, grasping for something...even if it was second place. Hildegarde on the other hand was a complete shock, until Ashley remembered that even madness had its lucid moments. The Crone, well she had already had her fun there for the evening...

Ashley gave her regard back to the Prince when he spoke, as was appropriate, but as the other spoke she couldn't help but look to Harold. When Cameron finished, she spoke up. "Mister Thorne has first hand experience outside of theoretical applications to this question. He noticed signs of a squatter and then ran him to ground and informed Reeve Connery." Ashley leaned back slightly in her chair, having been alongside him for both endeavors.

"If it would please my Prince I will submit myself for them to demonstrate their skill with the sanguine voice, as it would be a good measure of mastery over our blood right for his Majesty to observe." Ashley was no stranger to intrigue and had no doubts that Asa knew exactly what she was doing. At least she could give the Prince a true assessment of their will, and more importantly, her own.

It was a gamble, but Lords always win...
    "Don't be pretentious, I am the truth."

Social Combat
    WP ••••• | Dominance Modifier ••••• | Guile •• | Nerve [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

15. Likes West liked this post
Page 3 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread