Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

An Informal Gathering

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last

Blood Potency ●● (Aspect of the Predator)
    Presence ●●●● (Magnetic)
    Distinctive Voice ●● (Husky)
    Status ● (City)
    Edwin Bridges

PRE

"Come on, free candy? How much more reverence do you need?" Edwin chuckled, joking around. "I've got nothing against Halloween itself, grew up with the tradition even if I view it differently now than I used to. Still, a good Halloween party will get everyone talking, and from what I've seen in the Domain, people do like to use their imagination when it comes to outfits."

The thought of spandex entered his mind.

"It would also make a cracking way to remember anyone we know that we have lost. The symbolism must not be lost in the revelry."
    Scenes

C
    C_Lloyd

"No apology is necessary, Sinead. You have offered no offense. I thank you for your explanation."

Notaku growled softly at the mention of a Halloween party. Images of debauched vampires strutting about in slutty costumes without regard for why they wore them flashed through his mind. If the Circle were to hold a Halloween party, would those who attended know what it meant? Would they actually care about the spiritual implications of what they were doing? Edwin's musings earned him a vicious glance from the Gangrel. Edwin's musings earned the Ventrue a vicious glare from the Gangrel. His joke was not appreciated. Halloween was not something Notaku generally observed, but everything Edwin said just rang hollow to Notaku. Candy, Outfits, Gossip. Is this what his journey as an Acolyte be?

With Edwin's last words, Notaku's look softened. Edwin did understand. Notaku still believed that all of the other things he mentioned were frivolous and unnecessary, but he could see that perhaps he should not be so quick to judge the Ventrue. Notaku nods in concession towards Eddie before once again addressing the Hierophant.

"I agree, Edwin. If we were to host a party, it is important that the spiritual significance of it is not lost on the ignorant. Otherwise, we would be dishonoring the very faith the we pursue. What is the purpose of this party? Is it a feast to honor the dead? Is it to ward off hostile spirits? Whatever is decided, those who attend should be made clearly aware."

Notaku fixed his gaze on Chris, anxious to see how he would respond. Would he make a decision? Would he leave it up to the rest of the Circle? Would he requuest the respect of his fellow Acolytes, or command it?

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    (-1 Vitae in Requiem for Blush)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

- 1 Vitae for Blush of Life in Requiem Subforum

PRE

There's definitely no reason to be anxious, for Chris simply smiles. Although he is a bit disappointed that his fellow Acolytes would think he just wants to party. And that a simple idea that just came to his mind is responded to with a growl. 'I think I just said I wish to include symbolism.' He arches an eyebrow, he learned to get to know someone or something better before he judges. Other would be wise to do the same.

He relaxes, 'So please don't get me wrong, if we host a party it doesn't mean that we rule out the possibility for our veneration of the Goddess. We can even have a separate celebration, before or after any public event. That is what I wished to brainstorm on... unless the idea of how people celebrate Halloween an sich is what opposes you?' He asks to Sinead and Notaku, in a way that he would respect their opinions.

'Then we can always think of something else, we have plenty of time.'
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

The blonde sighed softly as she looked to the Hierophant with an expression of concern.

"My concern about the celebration is the costuming that is liable to occur," Sinead explained clearly and honestly. "I do not trust my temper around Samhain celebrations when what I see are half-clad women dressed in mockeries of period pieces, or those in other bizarre garb. Samhain is about monsters. It's about demons. It's about the dead and horrors and concealing oneself on the night in which the veil between life and afterlife is thinnest...

"I hardly care if it is a happy celebration or not, people will take different things as they will. Even funerals are not always solemn. It is... the costuming that I have distinct concerns about. However, if this Circle makes a decision on the matter, I will do my utmost to not act on the displeasure."

The same displeasure she was doing her best to curb in dealing with Edwin. Candy? Parties? Talking? Were those his priorities? She was open as it went to a wide variety of beliefs, in fact she often tended to encourage it and inquired as to others' beliefs out of curiousity and a desire to learn... but there were those who clearly did not hold the same reverence for their beliefs as she did. She respected their beliefs, as well, strongly. That was always the point, to her, believing in something was preferable to wasting away into nothingness.

... a deep breath led to another soft sigh as she rested her hands in her lap. "If we can manage to create an event wherein we can show the true meaning of Samhain to other Kindred, I think I would be at peace with the notion." Or, at least, she would try.

Did the majority of this Court even know how to shed their beauty and become something truly frightening, if only to behold?

She was certain the Prince knew. And what of the other lovelies of the Court? Could they turn their beautification rituals into a moment to expose their true natures?
    Former Player of:
    Zodiac Sinead Lovekin Jodie Hollins

Presence ●●●● (Magnetic)
    Status ● (City)
    Edwin Bridges

PRE

A part deep inside of Edwin reared its ugly head. He tried not to let himself be controlled by pride but sometimes, other people appeared to question his beliefs.

"Well, in all due respect, you should care," Edwin said, attempting to smile, his husky voice holding true. "We are still a small group among powerhouses in this domain. The Invictus controls all with the Dragons well respected. It has only been a month or two since anyone represented the Circle has shown themselves," he states, glancing to Gunner with a nod, "no disrespect intended, Grove King." He looked back to the group, focusing on Sinead. "But my point stands. We must be careful. From what I have seen, this domain enjoys a good party and dressing in finery and disguises. Halloween is a great time to spread our beliefs but in a way that won't cause the domain any concern. Once we have settled, grown solid roots that go deep, then we can hold an event that can really express what we are about. Besides, we have only just met and decided on a Hierophant within a few weeks. What do we truly know of each other?"

He let the question hang, the burning in his dead heart still alight as he expressed himself.
    Scenes

C
    C_Lloyd

Notaku stood, towering over the others and turning his full attention to Edwin.

"We know little of each other, but holding a costume party will not fix that. It will be nothing more than a distraction. It will not represent all of us a covenant because it is not one of the major ceremonies of the Faith. While we all my know of it, Halloween means something different to each of us. I have never observed it, for my people have considered it nothing more than the exploitation of a holy day that was stolen from another culture. Only tonight have I learned its true purpose as Samhain."

Notaku shakes his head in disgust and takes a step closer to the Ventrue, locking his eyes with Edwin's.

"Halloween is a hollow mockery of a sacred day. I will not be responsible for offending any spirits or Sinead's ancestors by making a mockery of her faith."

Notaku slowly backs away from Edwin, his gaze lingering only a moment before focusing on Sinead.

"I would suggest that you hold a Samhain celebration. Invite others of your domain and make your requirements of them clear. Those who come will learn something of your traditions, and may be curious enough to ask you more. Show them the true face of the Holy day, your true self. Do not settle for anything else."

And finally, the giant turns to Chris, mustering what fervor he can.

"Hierophant. I urge you to leave any sort of event based on the Holy day of Samhain in Sinead's hand. Leave it to her to as a trial to both make it acceptable for those not of her faith, and to make it respectful of her faith. During the event, there will be the opportunity to educate and bond with those present. But I encourage we leave Halloween out of it, or at the very least. Even having a costume party at a separate time would undermine the purpose of the holy day. Let people the domain see us for what we are - spiritual beings who revere the Mother; not children who must throw decadent, hollow parties to impress their friends. Trust completely in your faith, and you veneration and reverence will be rewarded."

Notaku seemed to be in a heightened state of action, speaking more at once than he has perhaps the entire time he has been in this domain. He nodded respectfully to the Hierophant and once more took his seat.

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    (-1 Vitae in Requiem for Blush)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

- 1 Vitae for Blush of Life in Requiem Subforum

PRE

The tension in the room is rising, and Chris can't say he likes it very much. He's not sure what Sinead and Notaku hope to prove, that they are better acolytes, spending every second of every night to the worship of the Crone? That is exactly the extreme picture the Hierophant doesn't want to share.

'What you don't understand is that if we don't give a party, but invite everyone to a serene celebration of Samhain - no one will show up. What Edwin says is entirely true, about how the Domain is built on social events. All I intended to do was host one of those social events, and show everyone that the Circle of the Crone is not all about praying and doing rituals, we can have fun, as one Circle, as one family...' He looks at Sinead, only moments ago she felt good and comfortable. Had he ruined that? By proposing a plan?

'But this only seems to be a reason for conflict between us. I will not hold a celebration for others with the absolute certainty that no one will come - Halloween is a big thing in Sacramento, I can know it. So if anyone feels that we are mocking the Crone by wearing costumes,'
    Chris sighs, he tries to stay neutral, but he feels like Edwin understands the Domain, while Sinead and Notaku should be open for a more modern approach to celebration, 'then nothing will happen. As your Hierophant, I will respect all of your opinions. But if we make a good appearance as a covenant, the domain will remember it for months. Unless we don't care for appearances - but I do, which is why I started this topic to begin with. I trust that we can make this work, that we can make sure that the people we invite have a good time, while at the same time we find opportunities to show what Halloween is truly about. Then if the Domain knows who and what we are, they might consider visiting more serious rituals. The Crone knows how we feel, she can see our true intentions. I don't feel like I will be mocking anything sacred - so I'm not. Besides, you don't have to wear stupid costumes if you don't want to. Then see this as an opportunity to meet new people, but within our own scenery. '

To be realistic, even the simplest rituals garments will appear as a costume to most people. Ah well.

Chris looks around the table, inviting the others to speak with a simple gesture. They can say one more thing before he makes a decision.
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

8. Likes Wod.Infant, Forn Clakes liked this post

Sinead's expression grew concerned as she looked at all of those gathered, before sighing heavily to herself. "Please, please, be at peace Brothers," she stated quietly as she rose to her feet, her gaze settling on each of them in a nearly stern manner that came across rather maternal - as though the ghost of one's mother were chastizing a child worriedly. "We are all family here, we needn't fight over something such as this... there is no hostility required.

"Please allow me to clarify,"
    her hand rested gently on Notaku's with a kind smile of gratitude before she addressed her concern.

"I am not opposed to costumes, nor celebrations. When I say I hardly care if it is happy or not, I mean that making a happy celebration of such a thing doesn't bother me. I do not require solemnity from an occassion - as I said, even funerals can carry happy tones with them. In fact, tradition dictates of Samhain that we do dress in costume," she explained for Notaku but didn't look at him as she did, not wanting to make anyone feel as though they were on the spot. "The idea is to dress as monsters, ghouls and ghosts, deathly creatures, horrifying creatures on the night that the veil between life and death is the thinnest. This is to confuse those demons who may cross over into the realm of the living for a time into thinking that there is no prey here, for we are all monsters...

"I believe that all Kindred can understand this concept. We parade around similarly with the kine, do we not? We dress in a lamb's attire so that we appear to fit in..."
    Her gaze turned to Chris Wooding gently. "What I propose is to make certain that the costumes are thematically appropriate. Make the domain aware that the costumes we wish to see are those of monsters and demons. What I ask is that we avoid having the costumes that would, in fact, be more of a mockery than anything be used. It defeats the purpose if the costumes are pretty and do not show any edge, or any level of horror to them."

Sighing softly, she shook her head, looking to Gunnar for a moment as though she was lost, before her expression cemented itself and she looked around the table once more. "Samhain is a tradition, not exclusively a ritual, and I believe that we can make it a fun and enlightening experience for everyone - even those who are not of our Circle or our Faith. That is what I hoped to propose here, I was not intending to cause any level of conflict at this gathering, and I apologize if my intent was misconstrued for hostility."

Slowly sinking into her seat, Sinead looked at her hands a moment as she contemplated the situation. Had they truly misunderstood her so strongly? She wished to be inclusive of everyone... of course she did. Unity. Family. Those were the things that kept them from being naught but predators in the night. How had this gotten so twisted?
    Former Player of:
    Zodiac Sinead Lovekin Jodie Hollins

10. Likes Wod.Infant, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Even as the voices grew louder and the tension rose, the Grove King remained unruffled. At first he seemed to have nodded off, dosing, as it were. The his blue eyes flicked open. They fixed on Sinead, then drifted over Edwin and Notaku in rapid succession; not unsurprisingly, they dwelt like heavy weights on the Hierophant, flicking but once back to the Haunt as she sat once more.

For a moment it looked like Gunnar might add something. But he stopped himself. The cryptic half smile remained.

Presence ●●●● (Magnetic)
    Status ● (City)
    Edwin Bridges

PRE

When Notaku stood and seemingly attempted to threaten him with his posturing, Edwin locked eyes with the Savage and wondered if he should make the giant forcefully leave or simply cause him to attempt to open his dead bladder.

Because that would definitely make Edwin chuckle about now.

The smile had vanished. It was always present, a part of him that made him somewhat likable to others. The fact that he had already riled the large Gangrel was starting to annoy him. First Roderick, now this jackass? Seriously?

A sigh as Notaku finally retook his seat. When Chris spoke, Edwin's appreciation of the Hierophant grew immensely. At least he seemed to understand the dynamics of the Domain, something that the Lord was quickly learning. It was a survival thing.

And then the freak decided to step up again and just make her point, trying to placate the shit she had started. For Hel's sake, why don't she and Notaku just get there shit on and then the tension could move on. It didn't even need to be serious. Just get some and be happy.

Another sigh.

"You know, I've said my piece, and it seems whenever I say anything, it seems to do nothing but piss folks off. Halloween, great idea. That's me done."

A pause.

"Also," he added, looking towards Notaku, leaning forward in his chair, "Don't ever threaten me. I really don't appreciate it."
    Scenes

Page 3 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last
Closed Thread