Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Voila Le Crepe!

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

It was that time. Crepe time, yo. Honestly? He'd been kind of fiending for them ever since mentioning them. When he'd woken up, he could practically taste them. The grocery store had been early morning empty, and he'd breezed through. A rare appearance in jeans, too, since most of his khakis were dirty, and his other pants... well. Those were Friday pants. A faded t-shirt proclaimed his presence at Tommorrow World 2011.

The evidence of his efforts peeked out of plastic grocery bags: flour, sugar, salt, eggs, milk, and various condiments: jam, sweetened condensed milk, and a small carton of blackberries. The coffeee maker hissed and burbled, and the scent of hazelnut was just starting to waft out.

He'd forgotten a sifter. It's the little things that kill. He attacked the nuggets of flour with a vengeance, determined not to be foiled by hard little lumps in his crepes. Then the sugar and salt. He hung a bag on the handles of a drawer and pitched shells into it as he cracked eggs. Whoops. No one saw that.

No. One.

Lotta batter, yo. That's what fridges were for, tho, right? He used a fork to cut off a chunk of butter from a stick, dropped it in the pan, and lit up the stove.

It's crepe time.

How do you know?

Because crepe socks.
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

2. Likes Sirith liked this post
    A
    Asp

A sleepy-sounding yawn and the padding of feet in flip-flops heralded Asp's arrival. She was wearing a pair of black sweatpants with 'UNLV' across the butt and a grey tanktop, and her hair was still a bit of a mess. Morning Terminator. At least she'd brushed her teeth before coming into the kitchen to find herself a bottle of water or whatever --

"'morning, Star. Whatcha making?" she asked sleepily, lured in by the smell of hazelnut that put a little content smile on her face. She put her ablutions bag on the counter as she made for the fridge.

Then she did a doubletake. Bowls. Butter. Pans. Tomorrow World Shirt.

The last? Cut totally loved music festivals, didn't he? So many t-shirts. But more importantly to the energy-burning machine that was her honed warrior body? FOOD.

"Dude. This looks like a feast for the ages."

She produced an Evian bottle and cracked it, a little smile on her face. The Guardian looked like he was earning it.

2 potency Prime Sight/1 potency Life Armor, cloaked, 24hr
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-07-19 04:16:07 Asp rolls 6 to Prime Sight/Life Armor (at home, HS, -2 for 24hr/-2 combined) (10 Again) 10, 4, 8, 1, 4, 6, 10, 6 3 successes

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Creeeeepes!"

As the butter started to melt in the pan, he lifted it slightly and started slowly rotating it.

"Oooh. Uh. Grab that fork?"
    he bobbed his head at the mixing bowl. "Whisk that stuff. Batter. Don't let it settle. Didn't you know? You're supposed to hide until you hear water running. That's how you know all the work is done. Then you jump out and get your grub on."

He started cracking up when he saw her.

"Nice hair. That's a good look. I didn't buy any hair nets. Any, uh, stray hairs or head cooties in the food? Major kitchen foul."

As the butter melted, he poured it out into the bowl.

"Whisk. Harder. Mix it. Faster. Whisk!"
    - Roald Dahl

5. Likes Cayce liked this post
    A
    Asp

Asp grabbed the fork sluggishly and began to whisk the shit out of that batter, not letting it settle. She was way too sleepy for thiwhisking business. Whipping, be it ass or batter, didn't get to start until the afternoon on weekends, damnit!

"I'll keep that in mind next time, but I don't mind helping out," she said with a little chuckle, letting the comment about her sleepyhead appearance go. "What? I'm whisking! I'm whisking!"

Asp laughed, whisking even more vigorously.

"Was that some Daft Punk there? Whisk it harder, whip that batter, do it faster, makes crepes better?" she sang in her best Daft Punk voice, which wasn't absolutely terrible!

1 sux to sing
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-07-20 03:45:12 Asp rolls 3 to Sing! (10 Again) 9, 5, 1 1 success

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Oh! Sorry! Didn't mean to conscript you. You, uh, totally don't have to," he said, suddenly embarrassed.

"Just stir slowly now, don't let it separate."

Hypocrite, much?

"Anyway. Sorry. New kitchen. New stuff. No rhythm. You know? Things need to get mixed, warmed, moved around. Timing's important. So it call comes together at the same time." Maybe she knew how to cook. He didn't know.

"Dude? Did you just get Daft? Not bad,"
    he said. He looked over from the pan he was lining with a butter stick in an appreciative grin. "Nah. Not me. I was, uh, just being bossy. My bad."

His hand flickered towards the bowl, once, twice, paused.

"You, ummmm, ever make crepes before?"
    - Roald Dahl

A
    Asp

Asp slowed down the whisking and laughed. "I really don't mind at all. I earn my keep!" She smiled at him, pausing for only a moment to pull a hair elastic off her wrist. A couple of quick grabs and the scooping of her wrist to put it on, and she had transformed from Bedhead to Combat Ready Hairstyle. Surely that would do for keeping stray hairs out of breakfast. "Heh, naw... if I can make a grilled cheese properly, then it's a good day in the kitchen. Crepes are a bit above me," she said, unashamed of how not domestic she was. "If you're providing crepes, I might have to set up a shrine or something. Jack Star, Sacramentonian God of Food."

Asp looked up from her whisking and shot him a wink.

"And you bet I did. I was listening to Get Lucky while I was brushing my teeth this morning, too. If you count that as truly Daft?"

Some people didn't like Pharrell Williams.

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Ewwww. I dunno, yo. If I want that kinda slow disco in my life, I'll, uh, break out the ABBA." Yes he did. Go there. Nope. 'Get Lucky' didn't count. "Uh, you got the 'Tron: Legacy' soundtrack? That's legit."

...aaaand, nope, again. He Totally. Was. Not. wondering how Avis would look dressed up like Quorra. Nope.

He gave her a curious look while the hair got militarized. Jack Star? He cracked up.

"Oh. I, uh, have a legit last name. For the world. Hoyle. Because, uh. Hoyle, the playing cards? And, Jack? The card. Jack Hoyle," he explained his laughter with a silly grin. Yep. Because corny. And he knew it. He lifted the pan off the flame so the butter wouldn't burn. Because greasing.

"And, you sure? No jogging this morning? If you want to learn, you know, I can show you?"

Holy Padawan. There was something she wasn't good at.
    - Roald Dahl

10. Likes Cayce, Sirith, Lesingnon liked this post
    A
    Asp

Asp shrugged, his assessment fair enough. She liked Pharrell just fine. Dude was catchy - but then, she wasn't a connoisseur of music. Not like Star. "I don't, but iTunes later, right? That can be corrected." Whiskwhiskwhisk. "ABBA's good times. Bit slow for running, though."

She grinned broadly at him as he cracked up. "Jack Hoyle? That's awwwwful! But good to know, so I don't call you Jack Star like some kind of numpty." Whisking continued, and she looked at him like he was crazy for a moment - was there ever a day she didn't jog? "Oh, there'll be jogging. Just not yet. I need to eat first, and that means crepes." She brought the whisk-y bowl over and started to watch.

"All right, Sensei. You know crepe fu. Show me."

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"You eat a lot. It's crazy. Do you do some kinda of Life thing? Like a binge and cast? Because there's no way you eat that much and... uh. You know. The way you look. Not that, you know, I've been looking. I haven't."

Dang that butter in the pan was in-ter-resting. It'd be pretty sad to get your butt kicked while making crepes. Not exactly dying sword in hand.

"So, ummmm. Crepes."
    Yes. Topic Change. "You want to make them thin? So you pour batter, and spin it around so it spreads. Trick is to get it round, spread it even, and then flip it. They make special pans, but that's totally cheating."

A hand fished out a spatula from the supplies.

"Yeah?"
    He motioned for the bowl, waiting for her to move before taking it. He poured a small dollop of batter, rolled it around, then flipped it. When it was done, he lifted it off.

"Oh. Ummmm. Can you grab a plate? I forgot. And... what's a numpty?"

His stomach rumbled. Because that smell.

Voila! Crepe 3 Successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-07-21 22:18:41 Star rolls 7 to Crepes! Dex + Crafts (Cooking) -1 Difficulty (10 Again) 8, 10, 4, 9, 5, 7, 7, 7 3 successes
    - Roald Dahl

A
    Asp

"Yeah, you have," Asp said playfully, a shit-eating grin crossing her face as he said he wasn't looking. She just brushed off the awkward comment and moved on. "Seriously, though. I totally just exercise really hard. I mean, Life's a part of it, but when you're pumping a lot of iron like I have been lately, you actually need a tonna calories to make it happen. Gotta get more muscle mass on. The Supernal is the Self, we Arrows say. By making sure our bodies are strong and using magic to enhance what we've already accomplished, we're more connected to the Supernal - and are better soldiers for it, you know?"

Because warriors who relied on the Supernal alone were in trouble.

She watched as he demonstrated the proper Crepe Making Technique. "Nice crepe," she said appreciatively, watching the show and doing her best to learn. It was gonna take some doing. Asp totally wasn't domestic in any way, shape or form. She hooked him up with the bowl and headed for a plate. "Numpty? Like, a dumbass. A derp. Like Mandy would say."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread