The Supernal is the Self

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 10 of 11 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Last

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

"The molting, I never did explain it." The shaman seems to retreat into himself, nervousness written into his body language. "I've spent a lot of time in animal forms, as much for the experience as to learn from them. I don't know if there's more to it than that; maybe I had a teacher, before ..." He shudders, leaving the loss of memory unspoken.

"Anyway, the molting itself ... doesn't feel quite like spells usually do. More personal, somehow." Eyes flick warily back and forth between the other two. This was it. This was where they decided he was something less.

He couldn't even identify why that fear had built up, just the seeming inevitability of the outcome. Regardless, the anxiousness brings out unconscious mannerisms. Hands paw at the ground, and he glances away, exposing his neck.

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Maybe you invented it? I don't know, Life is not something I know about," Avis said with a small shrug. "Or maybe it's part of a tradition. Some kind of totemic thing, maybe."
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

A
    Asp

Asp didn't know about every Legacy in the world, but she certainly knew enough about things esoteric to suspect what this might be. She'd seen the man heal, sort of like the same Life spells she used to heal, except he was molting away flesh and wounds like they were never there. There had been no tell-tale tingling of Supernal magic when it had happened. Plus, there was Animus's description of it. The signs certainly were there.

It was pretty cool.

"You know, I didn't feel anything when you used it, but... it healed you, plain and simple. Like Life. Are you a member of a Legacy, Animus? It doesn't sound like any I've heard of, but I'm still pretty new. Because that sounds a lot like an Attainment, naturalized magic that has become in tune, like a part of your soul. It might be worth doing some research to see."

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

They hadn't even blinked. No ax had fallen. Why was the fear ingrained so deeply, then? The Thyrsus relaxes, finally letting himself be comfortable. "A Legacy. It sounds likely. I just" a brief snarl of annoyac "I wish I could remember."

Eyes dart around the room, finally settling again on the other two. A heavy sigh. "It's always the little reminders. Personal things, that I should just know, but ..." He shakes his head sadly. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't burden you with my issues."

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

Avis looked down at the ground, trying not to look uncomfortable. "I don't mind as long as you'll listen when I need to vent. But, ummm, if you want to get back to talking about combat, I remember you asking me about JKD. You still curious?"
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

Animus nods quickly, glad for the chance to move to a more comfortable topic.

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"Cool," she said, looking up and catching the nod. "As I'm sure y'all have guessed, I haven't trained conventionally for very long. When I joined the Arrow in Chicago one of the Talons started teaching me about all the different systems and philosophies people came up with to kill each other. His favorite was JKD, or Jeet Kune Do. Basically it's a philosophy popularized by Bruce Lee. It's kind of like MMA, but its meant for actual fighting. You take what you like, what works, from different styles and mix it into your own personal style. It's uh, it's actually more complex than that, but I can't really explain it better."

Avis shrugged and looked to Asp. "You familiar with it, Asp?"

C
    Cross

The Obrimos smiled at the Shaman kindly. There was no need to worry, and she told him as much. "It's no problem, Animus. Seriously." A little nod, just to confirm that she was serious. Beyond that, she went with Avis's suggestion that they move topics. "Yeah, I've heard of it. I never really studied it in depth, but the principles make sense. Molding the various ways of doing battle such that you come up with a way of fighting that is distinctly 'you'."

There in that room, they had three very distinct kinds of fighters. Animus, with his animalistic, tiger-claw pain train; Avis with her improvisation and endless tricks; and Asp, a defensive, patient fighter that put people into positions where their mistakes would kill them.

"We're all models of that very concept here, really, if you think about it."

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

Animus nods. "It matches well with Arrow philosophy. Every style has weaknesses. How you react when those are exploited ... often determines who walks away at the end. Sometime we'll have to practice, no-holds-barred, full magic use. Not today, though, I think."

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"Yeah, I have a few things to review before stepping onto the mat again. At least sleep on, anyway," Avis agreed, one hand trailing down to rest just below her wound. It would really suck to get stabbed again, especially since she didn't know how tapped for mana the Shaman was. It wasn't just concern for her flesh, of course, but it was always harder to stand before someone, ready to enter the realm of bodily destruction, while injured. No, she was ready to let her body heal and let her mind battle with theoretical and philosophical concerns in the meanwhile.

"Do you guys like movies?" she asked suddenly. "Like action movies?"

11. Likes Matamune liked this post
Page 10 of 11 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.