Watch

(Press Club) Wine, Gossip and Schemes

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Martha Villiers

PRE

The Press Club.

Founded in the late 1880's with its club house at 123 Ellis Street, tucked neatly between Mason and Powell Street, any visitor will find it a well furnished and sturdy stone building in the latest style.

The discrete waiting staff take hats and coats and can be seen moving about the lobby with stealth.

Advertisements announce a forthcoming musical concert at the club are posted in the lobby, the recital to be given by an eminent group of European musicians touring the US.

A Vampire will easily identify the heavy aroma of the local, and highly recommended, chicken fricassee is in the air and the rich scent of red wine.

Gentlemen come and go through the lobby, greeting one another with a familiar and fraternal camaraderie...this is very much their world.

As Atticus enters a liveried waiter comes over to greet him and, with subtle politeness, take his hat and coat.

Beyond the tall potted plants and the away from the dazzle of tall mirrors hanging on the decorated walls, Atticus can already see two men he's aware of, gentlemen of importance in the City. One is broad shouldered man with a healthy glow about him...he's a local medical doctor who sits on several of the city's municipal boards and the other is one of the Mayor's more weak willed lackeys talking to a newspaper man.

The lobby and parlor are alive with convivial chatter and the swapping of gossip.
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

L
    Lobo Argost

Allowing himself a small smile, Atticus walked over to the doctor with a measured gait. "Good evening. I do hope you didn't have as much trouble as I did getting away from the needs of others for some much earned personal time. Atticus Church." He held out his hand as he introduced himself.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Amidst a shroud of cigar smoke the doctor looks to Atticus with a bewildered stare. Unsure of things, the doctor is trying to place Atticus and clearly wondering if he knows him.

"Mr Church...pleased to make your acquaintance, sir. Dr Davies, at your service." he takes a moment to offer Atticus his card. The address shows a surgery and office at the central Hearst building nearby.

"Are you a member, sir? Forgive me. I don't recall seeing you before."

As the doctor speaks several other members file passed him out from the lobby to an upper floor, probably heading towards some of the more private rooms there.

He nods to them as they greet him with good humor.

Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

L
    Lobo Argost

"I arrived in the city recently. But I am a member, yes." Atticus looked toward where the members had gone to the upper floor as he accepted the business card. "You seem like a popular chap, Doctor." He wore a good natured smile as he spoke.

Martha Villiers

PRE

"Popular? Well, not for me to say. But it would be true to say, sir, I am well known here." the doctor offers with a moment of obvious Pride.

Noting Atticus' observation of the group making their way up to the reading room, he adds;
    "You're here for Dr Pelham's lecture this evening?"

L
    Lobo Argost

"I like to be well informed about the world, and am prone to attending such lectures. You're here for it as well?" Atticus inquired while putting the business card in his breast pocket.

Martha Villiers

PRE

The doctor nods sagely. "Yes. I am told that the Doctor has some, shall we say, interesting matters to talk upon this evening. A sharp minded man. I look forward to some energetic discussion afterwards!" he laughs meanly, as if keen to find easy fault with whatever Dr Pelham has to say.

"Have you followed his career with interest too?"

L
    Lobo Argost

"I follow the careers of many noteworthy people with great interest. Dr. Pelham has drawn my curiosity quite a bit as of late," Atticus said, chuckling in response to the doctor's laugh. "Shall we find seats, then?"

Martha Villiers

PRE

The Doctor takes his seat and soon the general chatter is stilled as the city's chief librarian, George T Clark, makes his way to the lectern and quietens the crowd with a hand gesture.

After a few brief introductory remarks George introduces Dr Pelham...

"...Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to introduce Dr Samuel Pelham...Doctor of Science...a renowned scholar or mathematics and astronomy and a respected member of the Academy of Arts and Sciences...ladies and gentlemen, Dr Pelham..."

As George hands over, a gentleman in his early 40's makes his graceful way to the lectern. Nodding his thanks to George.

"Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen...distinguished scholars...fellow citizens..." he begins with cultured and confident tones.

"I am grateful to Mr Clark of the City Library for his kind introduction and for extending his invitation for me to speak this evening. The topic of my lecture this evening is something very close to my heart and, I hope, of great value to all Humanity."

He waits for this teasing remark to settle in.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I speak of Paradise. I speak of a future in which we can all profit. A true vision of the future..." as he speaks his enthusiasm is obvious. "...ah, but I get ahead of myself." a smile.

"The Paradise I speak of is not some Biblical tale and fragments of stories of Eden. Nor is it some reference to a mythical Golden Age of Greek Culture. A culture untrammeled by the assaults of the Persian armies or made rotten by Roman decadence."

... more to follow...

L
    Lobo Argost

Atticus leaned back in his seat a bit with his hands folded over his lap. He had a servant at the back of the room taking notes for him so that he could focus on the speaker himself. This lecture should be quite interesting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread