Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
A Brief Conversation in the Park

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

It was late in the day, and Kite had claimed a small table in the shade. The park itself emptying itself out since he had arrived - as he knew it would be - so Kite was able to select a spot that was fairly private. Kite had laid down a chess board an hour ago, and seemed to be taking turns playing each side, as he would alternately move the white and black pieces while occasionally sipping his coffee. After each turn, he would note down each of his chess moves on the pad of paper he kept next to him, as though he was in a full-fledged tournament with himself.

In truth though, he was waiting for two people to join him. With the recent Consilium announcement, the issue could not wait a moment longer… he needed to ask for support from the two other members of the council.

“C’mon you two…” Kite said impatiently as he looked checked his phone for the time, as well as for any messages. “Where are you…?”

October 'Toby' Davenport
    October 'Toby' Davenport

Acanthus/ Presence ••• (Captivating)/Striking Looks ••

+1
    SL
    PRE

Toby breezes up to the table, stopping to watch the game Kite had going, it wasn't often she saw someone playing chess against themselves. "Hey Kite, who's winning?" she asked with a smile. She had worn a summery type dress today, enjoying the nice weather. "How have you been?" she asked, taking a sip from her water bottle.
    Acanthus/ Presence ••• (Captivating)/Striking Looks ••(Glimmering Eyes)/Status •• (Medical)

l
    loche

Cog rode his bike around the parks perimeter looking for Kite, then cut through the park. He was confused, he had said to meet him here. Cog caught sight of October just as he began his second lap. He tracked her path and saw kite, hidden behind a tree. Figures, Cog rode up to Kite and arrived about the same time October did.

His bike came to a sudden halt, and he set the kick stand. He hoped off, "sorry I'm late. Failed my Spot check." He smiled at the two mages, sitting on the frame of his bike. "So what's up Kite?" He asked his fellow Libertine. His gaze flicked to October for a moment. How did I miss that dress? "Hey Toby," Cog said quickly, he didn't flinch as he kept his eyes in check.

“The other guy is winning.” he smiled to the Acanthus in mock frustration. “The other guy always wins!”

He perked up as he saw Cog approach the table as well. “Please, take a seat you two,” Kite offered the two newly-arrived willworkers, "and thank you for coming!"

Kite first took a look around, making sure that there was no one in the vicinity before he continued. “The reason why I asked both of you here is because of a problem I’ve had with my fellow… workers” Kite coughed, still looking around to make sure that no one could see, before directing his attention to Toby. “As you know, Triq is the immediate superior to both Cog and myself, and Ani is everyone’s superior.” Kite pauses to grab the pen and paper, seemingly ready to write something down if it is required. “Toby, are you familiar with what happened between Ani, Triq and myself in that meeting back in late February, early March?” he asked. "How about you?" he directed towards Cog.

October 'Toby' Davenport
    October 'Toby' Davenport

+1
    SL
    PRE

Toby smiles to Cog, "Hi Cog, hope you've been well." she said before returning her attention to Kite. Shaking her head, "No, sorry." she replied, "What happened?" she wondered if whatever that was if it was the reason for such an urgent meeting.
    Acanthus/ Presence ••• (Captivating)/Striking Looks ••(Glimmering Eyes)/Status •• (Medical)

l
    loche

"Thanks," He responds to October, giving a grin he turns his attention to Kite. "I moved here late march, but you gave me and Salem the short version. It was back in the Bookstore, the Mage one."

Giving Kite a questioning look, "are you okay? I've never seen you this jumpy." Cog looked around as though he dropped something, then sighed out a barely audible curse.

“Sorry…” he remarked. For a couple seconds, Kite looked around him… waiting to make sure that no one was within earshot.

“Back in late February, I was at a meeting of other… well, other of my path” he nodded his head towards Cog. “You weren’t around yet” he explained to his fellow Thyrsus. After a moment, he looked back towards Toby “The meeting was weird, to say the least. I don’t want to get into details here…” Kite looked around again before continuing, “… but the situation deteriorated after Alfar, who had been in the city for… I can’t remember exactly, maybe a week…? He was offered the Provost position… after he … well … acted in a dubious manner towards me.”

Kite took a long, long drink from his coffee before he continued with his story. “I did raise an objection. It wasn’t rude, but I was direct about it.” Kite’s facial features seemed to harden before he looked at Toby and finished the story. “In response, Animus accused me of scru…” he paused, “of looking at… scrutinizing Triquetra, and promptly stripped me of my level of status...until Rosh confirmed to him that he had taught me manners.” The last remark was accompanied by a bitter chuckle.

Kite paused as he made another move on the chess board. “I didn’t do it of course, and I intend to bring this up as an issue. However,” he paused as he looked back towards Cog, and especially Toby, “I sure could use your support here. Nothing overt, just… I want a hearing on this, a fair, impartial hearing.” Kite sighed while he reflected back on the meeting. “It was so blatant, so… so surreal. I’ve never seen anything quite like it…”

October 'Toby' Davenport
    October 'Toby' Davenport

+1
    SL
    PRE

Toby listens, not quite sure how she could help the situation. Looking to Kite, “Just so I understand everything, Triquetra elected Alfar for Provost, which as Councilor is her right. You had an issue with it due to the length of time he had been here, and offended you in some way. Whatever happened, seems to have upset and offended Animus, causing you to not only lose status, but address some issue with manners.” She says, sitting down and crossing her long legs, “I can understand why you would be upset, though I don’t understand why you did not comply with a direct order. I wasn’t there, so I cannot pass a judgment as to if it was fair or not, but it seems like a small price to pay for whatever transpired.” She said in a gentle voice, not wishing to upset Kite. “What support are you looking for? I understand your desire to have a hearing on this, and think it is only fair for you to have that chance. Though disobeying a direct order is never advised. In my opinion, it would have been best to accept the order, do as asked, and then raise the notion of having an impartial hearing. I don’t want you to think I am against you, but I am trying to see all sides to this.” Which was only fair and right. “Have you considered requesting a meeting with Triquetra to address any misunderstand that may of occurred?” she asked, thinking that perhaps things got heated and egos were hurt. She hated politics, but there was a time and place to address things, and a right and wrong way to do it. “I want to help you, I just want to make sure all options and sides are explored. If I have upset or offended you, I am sorry, but I’m only being honest with you.” She hoped this would go well, and was serious about helping him. But only once everything was understood and clear, she didn’t want to second guess the Hierarch without all the facts. And so far she only had one side of it.

"You misunderstand" Kite responded to Toby. "It is true that I was flabbergasted by Triquetra's decision, but that is not what I am upset about." Kite took a sip of his coffee, all the while looking distinctly uncomfortable.

"When I questioned the councilor's decision, something which is my right to do - and under these circumstances, my duty to do - Animus made up a false charge." Kite paused a moment to let the fact sink in. "I asked a question - something to the order of 'You are promoting someone who just arrived 5 days - someone whom you have never met before - and immediately after he assaulted me in a lewd manner?'" Kite couldn't help but smirk at the ludicrousness of it all. "That was my objection, something which I feel even today was legitimate." Kite took in a deep breath, making an effort to control himself, before he continued. "In response to my question, Animus accused me of scrutinizing the Councilor - a completely false charge - and then declared me guilty, and stripped me of my status in punishment. That is what I am concerned about."

"Toby," Kite pleaded to the willworker, "this is very serious. If simply looking at someone can become the basis of a successful scrutiny conviction, then nearly every younger willworker will need to travel amongst their elders with their eyes downcast. Imagine if you made the mistake of looking at the Heirarch as you asked a question that he took offense to? If this precept - this principle - is allowed to stand, the Hierarch could simply declare that you were scrutinizing him when you asked the question and exact punishment."

Kite took in a deep breath and sighed. "Animus - the Hierarch - lied. He trumped up a false charge, and used his bestowed authority to summarily act as prosecutor, judge and jury." For a moment, he seemed to struggle to prevent his features from hardening. "What I want," he asked in almost a desperate tone, "what I need... is for this to not be swept under the rug. I want... I need a hearing - a fair hearing - without bias or collusion." Kite looked again at Toby. "I don't think that's too much to ask for, is it?"

l
    loche

Cog sat watching the two mages, his attention occasionally distracted by the little voice in the back of his head. She's pretty... Quiet down you!

"Kite, personally I would've... flipped out and probably assaulted him... yeah good thing you didn't do that. In truth though I think the more important thing to do is bring this up to the councilors, tell them what happened and they will have to sort out Animus. I have yet to meet any of these people, mind you." He made a sweeping motion with his arms, and looked at them matter of factly. "Except Alfar, he seems weird. Unfortunately I don't know how everyone would act, if our supposed Syndic were here..." His voice trails off in obvious disgust. "I think the biggest problem is the Mage way of government," he put air quotations around government. "But that isn't my place, I will support you Kite. Though I'm expecting your not hiding anything. Toby I'm sorry, but we only have his word right now, and I trust Kite enough not lie to his fellow Libertines." Cog started absent-mindedly tracing the grooves in the wooden table.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread