Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Paying a Visit to Betony Rue

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    B
    Beej

Otto scowled right back at the Ogress. Apparently the concept of rescuing people from enslavement at the hands of fubar evil creatures wasn't widely shared among changelings if the ogre and Xerxia were any indication. "I'm sorry I didn't stop to think about the pros and cons of rescuing people from the Hedge." Otto retorted, his tone dropping into sarcasim.

"And yes I am aware of that at least. I'm also aware that putting her back in a situation where she has no one around to help her understand her abilities even conceptually does her no good. There are those of us who can do shades of what she does. Beng around us will only her. Not to mention the fact with us its an environoment that isn't going to call her a freak for being different." The Beast says evenly, his tiny otter ears sloping back slightly.

The Witch of the Bitter Wind frowns at the otter's words of sarcasm, not at all pleased with his behavior. She lets some of her Glamour fuel her Contract with Darkness, borrowing some of the shadows around her own house for that particular purpose. Suddenly Otto feels a shudder down his spine, as a feeling of dread begins to take over him.

2 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-03-22 20:48:23 Betony Rue Jasons rolls 5 to Manipulation + Wyrd - Resolve to "Creeping Dread" (10 Again) 6, 6, 2, 9, 10, 4 2 successes

"You will respect me in my house," says Betony without raising her voice. However, she gives the otter a dreadful gaze that lets him know that she isn't kidding. The stare lasts only for a handful of seconds, but it feels much longer than that for the Spring Courtier. "There is no need for your sarcasm, and it is not appreciated. If you want my help, you will behave!"

4 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-03-22 20:52:11 Betony Rue Jasons rolls 8 to Presence + Intimidation + Spec + Freehold Status to "you are in my house, show some respect!" (10 Again) 7, 3, 10, 3, 10, 2, 7, 1, 10, 9, 7 4 successes

After a moment of awkward silence that seems to go on forever, the Ogress ceases to glare at him. "You are a fool if you think you can teach this girl anything about her abilities," she says in a harsh tone. "You do not have a clue of what she is fully capable of, and just because she is different does not mean we are the best suited to provide her with what she needs."

Betony can't help but shake her head, wondering why King Pereg sent such a moron to do this. She would need to have a talk with him at some point.

Otto suffers a -5 penalty to all Resolve and/or Composure rolls to resist the effects of fear or Intimidation for the rest of the scene

Stripes' claws come out for a second as Betony yells. They had come to her for help and she was shouting at them? One look at Maggie though reminded the tiger of just who they were asking for help for, and he puts himself next to the little girl and sheathes his claws.

Betony's comment about talking like a caveman had gotten under his skin a bit, but that wasn't important. Maggie was.

"Going to scare Maggie if you keep yelling like that," The tiger points out, staying by the child's side. "And if you don't think Otto can help her then you have any ideas who might?"

Stripes sheathes his claws, trying to keep a handle on his temper. Trying to attack a high-ranking Autumn Courtier would probably be an immensely bad idea, no matter how inhospitable she might be.

OOC Note

B
    Beej

Otto shivers and looks over his shoulder at the dark house. The lady was certainly caustic, she hadn't struck him as all that intimidating, which apparently the witch was. "Jeez."

The Beast takes a step back. "You're..you're right I'm sorrry. Hat in hand and all that."

But she was wrong. He knew that. He couldn't do what Maggie could, at least not exactly what she did and to the degree. But he could read people's desire, mind reading of a different but similar pedigree. "But we don't know who can help her." He says voice a little unsteady. "And its the right thing to do. To try."

fail

The Ogress turns to Stripes for a moment, her facial expression remaining its usual self. "I never raised my voice," she says to him in the same tone of voice she used with Otto. "I'd be careful with those though, you may end up hurting someone with them." Betony glances down at the Hunterheart's hands as she says those words, making it clear as to what she is referring to.

"The right thing to do is to keep this girl safe," she says as she turns her attention back to Otto. "What you are failing to understand is that by keeping her around us, we are doing the exact opposite of that." She pauses for a moment, allowing for her words to sink in.

"Look, I know you two are trying to help Maggie, but think about who we are and what we deal with on a daily basis," says the Ogress looking into the eyes of Otto and Stripes respectively. "She was already taken once and was lucky enough that you guys found her, but she may not be as lucky next time."

While this all going on Maggie remains quiet, watching the exchange between all three of them. She seems a little startled at one point, but then she seems to relax again. At times it appears as if she is going to speak up, but she never actually does. Perhaps she finds it best to let the adults have their adult discussions, and hope that in the end she will have a new home somewhere.

Stripes nodded and took his seat again. Still he felt antsy though, perhaps just from Betony's mantle, he picked a bit at some pocket lint.

"Right," Stripes said, noticing the truth in the witch's words. "There any...Safe families to take her to?"

B
    Beej

Sure it was dangerous, Otto knew that. Maybe he was overlooking it to some degree, but she needed some place safe and someplace she wasn't a freak. He had seen growing up how much a home mattered. The Beast had lived through the Depression, grinding poverty, but with loving parents it wasn't as bad as it could have been. A kid needed that to grow up to be a decent, well adjusted human being. That had to be doublely true if they were a mind reader. "I suppose its hardball time." he thinks.

Otto taps into his Contracts of the Hearth as he wills himself to pitch the witch like he hadn't pitched anyone in quite sometime.

-1 glamour from Favored Fate; 7 suxx Persuasian / Guilt Trip

From some part of him, long buried parental ferver bubbles up. "Alright, I concede your point. I'll admit that. But thats not everything. Would you want to live someplace where you couldn't be what you really were? Imagine coming back from...there..but there wasn't anyone else like you?" Otto lets the question hang for a moment. "Not being able to talk about it? No one to draw support from? Living some place where every slip up draws looks and whispers?" The Beast's ears twitch and his straightens up, pressing his case. "You're not wild about her here, fine. You got concerns about the situation, fine. Let Maggie stay here for a while, give us some time to find the right place for her. Let her be around people who aren't going to shun her for being herself."

The Witch of the Bitter Wind stares quietly at the otter as he makes his "sales pitch," not breaking eye contact with him once. After he is done saying his piece, there is a moment of silence. Betony finally breaks eye contact with Otto as she looks down at Maggie, and then back to the Beast.

"Alright, she can stay here until we find a safe home for her," says the Ogress, not particularly thrilled with the idea but understanding where the otter is coming from. "It is still your responsibility to find her a suitable home though. Maggie needs a stable environment, with people that will care for her."

With those words Maggie's face becomes lively again, a wide smile creeping on her face. The girl cannot hold her excitement and jumps out of her chair. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she says to the Ogress as she rushes towards her and hugs her leg. "I promise I'll be good!"

Betony is taking by surprise by the whole thing, and it is obvious that she is unsure of what to do at the moment. Finally, her expression softens just a bit and she pats Maggie on the head. "It's alright. Here, you must be tired, so let me show you to the room you will be staying in," she says as she offers Maggie her hand, which the girl gladly accepts.

The Autumn Witch then looks at the two Beasts, a serious expression on her face. "Don't forget, you are responsible for finding her a home," she says to the pair before turning to head out of the kitchen.

OOC

End scene

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread