Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(AGToO) Dawn

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last

0 Scenes

Under a shroud of darkness pierced by neon lights, the City never sleeps, it vibrates. A torrent of rumbling resonance undulates like the motion of a pendulum, reaching its maximum height and then retreating again and again, only the City knows for how long.
    It may be her snout hanging in the air, or the cold of the night, but the City seeps through the bones, thirsty for the marrow. Every night, like a patient hunter, she stalks for her prey, ready to gorge on its blood with her twisted maws.
    It's almost time, the Hierarch has assembled his team, shut inside the small car they plan ahead for a meeting a mile and half an hour away. They can hear it, the street traffic over Downtown - the high octane blood of civilization pumped through the veins of concrete - the clicking of street lights, the low hiss of the gas coming out of the sewers, the heartbeat of the metropolis. A police car flies by, sirens blaring and flashing its lights, then it too disappears through the depth of the night. And then the light pitter-patter of rain against the windows of the car resumes.

You got a bit of time until the meeting, you could cast your spells, discuss, examine the HD before driving there. It's assumed the Hierarch has assembled the group in the morning and shared any relevant information
    Campanella Yumyumcrow Orianna Aurora Cross Alastor Woland Shodan girlwonder Gemini

Spoiler
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

2. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    S
    Shodan

So, a big-ass gallery owned by a dude that possessed millions in artwork and the only thing that goes missing is a piece by the owner's daughter, who just happens to mysteriously vanish before?

Shodan is calling bullshit.

He gets to work. Having ample time to work since morning, the Prime Mover shuts the door, makes himself a mug of coffee and sits with a laptop. Figuring the most important piece in this puzzle is not the work but the author, he wants to learn everything there is to learn about Emily Eisenduller on the public record. He is all over Facebook (using stalkscan to peruse her account, if any), Twitter, dating websites, news articles with her name as a keyword, cranky theories about her disappearance spun by people in tinfoil hats... he wants all of that shit. And he's gonna get it.

Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-03 17:29:26 [08] Shodan rolls 8 to Poke around the social media (Wits 3 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 4, 10, 3, 7, 5, 6, 3, 4, 9 2 successes
    2019-02-03 17:29:26 [07] Shodan rolls 8 to Poke around the social media (Wits 3 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 4, 1, 10, 5, 6, 5, 9, 2, 8 3 successes
    2019-02-03 17:29:26 [06] Shodan rolls 8 to Poke around the social media (Wits 3 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 4, 1, 8, 7, 3, 9, 4, 1 2 successes
    2019-02-03 17:29:26 [05] Shodan rolls 8 to Poke around the social media (Wits 3 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 10, 1, 9, 7, 4, 9, 7, 4, 3 3 successes
    2019-02-03 17:29:26 [04] Shodan rolls 8 to Poke around the social media (Wits 3 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 7, 4, 6, 6, 10, 6, 9, 4, 1 2 successes
    2019-02-03 17:29:26 [03] Shodan rolls 8 to Poke around the social media (Wits 3 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 6, 8, 3, 5, 9, 7, 3, 2 2 successes
    2019-02-03 17:29:26 [02] Shodan rolls 8 to Poke around the social media (Wits 3 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 9, 9, 4, 4, 8, 5, 10, 6, 2 4 successes
    2019-02-03 17:29:26 [01] Shodan rolls 8 to Poke around the social media (Wits 3 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 3, 9, 5, 2, 8, 3, 6, 8 3 successes

That HD was an even bigger mystery, though. The bash shell script inside was pretty tightly wrapped, but there ain't no armor without cracks, and Shodan hopes he will find enough to learn the purpose of the code and any other peculiarities of it. He sets to work once more.

Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-03 17:50:39 [09] Shodan rolls 9 to Analyze bash shell (Int 4 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 7, 8, 2, 8, 8, 1, 10, 1, 9, 5 5 successes
    2019-02-03 17:50:39 [08] Shodan rolls 9 to Analyze bash shell (Int 4 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 6, 3, 2, 9, 5, 6, 7, 2, 7 1 success
    2019-02-03 17:50:39 [07] Shodan rolls 9 to Analyze bash shell (Int 4 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 8, 8, 9, 3, 10, 10, 6, 8, 9, 5, 7 7 successes
    2019-02-03 17:50:39 [06] Shodan rolls 9 to Analyze bash shell (Int 4 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 7, 7, 10, 1, 8, 9, 10, 9, 10, 4, 5, 9 7 successes
    2019-02-03 17:50:39 [05] Shodan rolls 9 to Analyze bash shell (Int 4 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 9, 1, 1, 3, 5, 9, 9, 2, 7 3 successes
    2019-02-03 17:50:39 [04] Shodan rolls 9 to Analyze bash shell (Int 4 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 10, 1, 8, 7, 8, 6, 5, 5, 2, 8 4 successes
    2019-02-03 17:50:39 [03] Shodan rolls 9 to Analyze bash shell (Int 4 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 1, 5, 2, 6, 6, 2, 2, 4, 8 1 success
    2019-02-03 17:50:39 [02] Shodan rolls 9 to Analyze bash shell (Int 4 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 1, 4, 6, 10, 6, 6, 1, 5, 2, 2 1 success
    2019-02-03 17:50:39 [01] Shodan rolls 9 to Analyze bash shell (Int 4 + Comp 4 + Laptop 1) (10 Again) 1, 8, 5, 10, 2, 5, 8, 3, 10, 4, 8 5 successes

And finally, a touch of magic. The Libertine does not cout on much, that'd be too easy, but you gotta try.

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-03 17:55:18 Shodan rolls 10 to Invoke Password rote casting (10 Again) 3, 5, 7, 7, 5, 8, 3, 5, 10, 5, 1 2 successes

All of a sudden it went dark, and the Obrimos rushed to the meeting place. Eager to see who'll be in the car with him.

Equipment:
    Plain clothes appropriate for the weather; smartphone; laptop conveniently stashed in a backpack; a box of matches; dedicated magical tool - American Gold Eagle coin)

Spells:
    Monthly rituals (Unseen Shield/Read Matrices, both Pot 6)

It was unclear to me if the assumption of having relevant information also included having a look on the HD, so I rolled for it to expedite matters. However, if this is not the case, please disregard the last two rolls

Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 3 ( +1 vs Bashing: Kung Fu 1)
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3
    Spell Tolerance: 3/3 Spell Rolls
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze is present, dressed in a brown leather jacket and black solid shirt and black trousers and shoes.

Leather Jacket and clothes, smart phone, medical kit in satchel.

Spells: Mage Shield Force 2e pot 1; Primal Vision Prime pot 1

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-04 12:33:58 Kaze rolls 4 to Improvised casting Unseen Shield (Force 3 + Gnosis 1; ruling arcana no manna cost) (10 Again) 5, 7, 4, 8 1 success

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-04 12:35:38 Kaze rolls 4 to Improvised casting Supernal Vision (Prime 1 + Gnosis 1 + HS 2; ruling arcana no manna cost) (10 Again) 5, 9, 3, 7 1 success
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

(Spells)Mana 1 Spent
    PRE

Campanella has been spending the day quietly. After his night's work he was content to gather some like minded allies and see what they made of it all. He had bought with him a laptop and the USB stick (both kept in a canvas bag); and for the night time foray he had bought his car. He figured they might need a getaway vehicle - and something for the others to lay low in, as he wasn't certain how his colleague in the art world would handle a pack of 'friends' descending on the meeting.

The Hierarch has prepared himself with simple spells. A shielding rote (which recast's feeling that he need's stronger defences for this occasion). And he opens the Third Eye - an improvised Mind spell - for his Sight. The spell is a break from his usual routine, one that demonstrates how serious he is taking this matter. Mind is the Hierarch's weakest Arcana; it speaks volumes that the Moros would choose this particular Sight for his meeting. Campanella is hedging his bets... and his suspicions.

"So. Does anyone have any insights or information before we gather our party and venture forth?" He says as he greets the group.

"My proposal is that I approach my contact with perhaps one other person to act as a... body guard. I can safely say my colleague's cryptic words have made me cautious - hence the guard. Hopefully that won't spook them too much. That would free up the rest of you to do as you will. My... friend and colleague... was very concerned of outside forces being involved in the theft; and they were unwilling to speak unless in person. I believe that says something."

He smiles grimly.

"As if my unasked for dream journey did not say as much. Be on your guard. I'm not sure who is playing who yet."

Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-05 03:03:34 Campanella to cast Third Eye Improvised rolls 6 to Gnosis 4 + Mind 1 + HS - Spell Tolerance (10 Again) 7, 5, 4, 9, 3, 6 1 success
    2019-02-05 03:00:43 Campanella to cast Matter Shield rote rolls 12 to Intelligence + Occult + Order Spec + Matter (10 Again) 4, 7, 8, 9, 6, 9, 3, 9, 9, 7, 9, 4 6 successes
    2019-02-05 03:00:42 Campanella to cast Matter Shield rote rolls 12 to Intelligence + Occult + Order Spec + Matter (10 Again) 2, 2, 8, 6, 5, 4, 10, 9, 2, 5, 4, 3, 2 3 successes

OK. So the DR blipped and gave me two shield rolls. I work with it for transparency!

Campanella has the following EQUIPMENT: Laptop. The USB Stick with the Strange Stuff On It. Business suit and a coat. A car. A good quality whisky in a box.

I am assuming Campy has given out the necessary plot information then let the characters spend the day doing any information gathering they wish before picking them up.
    Last edited by Campanella; Feb 5th, 2019 at 03:26 AM.  Reason for Edit: Extra gear
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

0 Scenes

Giving Aurora Alastor a bit more time before we proceed
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

7. Likes Ruach liked this post
    A
    Alastor

"I'll be your bodyguard," Alastor mentioned. He certainly looked the part, and access to people meant access to their things, to their sympathetic connections, to others. "Give the run down. What have I been called in on here, boss?"

Winter in a country afflicted by a polar vortex gave him an excuse to wear longer clothes, including a lengthy dress coat that would do very well to conceal his weapons and his thin Kevlar vest. In the carrying tube in the trunk was his shotgun, and he had a variety of items in his backpack with it: a flashlight, duct tape, and some zap straps along with a change of clothing.

Alastor's Spells

These are Ritual Casts. All spells are Spell Cloaked using Prime 2 and cast under a Hallow.

Combined Untouchable/Spatial Awareness: 2 Potency / 2 Potency / Month Long (8 successes)
    Combined Spatial Map (prolonged, cast as Space 2)/Omnivision: 3 Potency / 1 Potency / Month Long (8 successes)
    Aura Perception (prolonged): 6 Potency, 2 days long (5 successes)

Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

Kaze nods at the Hierarch's words and plan, acknowledging his understanding and compliance with The Plan. He nods again at the First Talon's words, in obvious agreement that he should be the visible bodyguard.

He smiles at Shodan, obviously glad that he's there too.
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

Campanella nodded.

"The cover? Simple really. I have become a bit paranoid about shadowy enemies given my affiliations and actions in the Art world. I have hired a bodyguard for a little extra security. Bad dreams can do that."

He offered a smile.

"Which is true. I have been having strong Dreams since obtaining the drive. And some of those dreams have been quiet... prophetic."

His tone emphasised the capitalisation.

"Now. Has anyone managed to find anything out on short notice? I've done some of my own research but I've come to believe I may have followed the wrong lines of enquiry. Anything on the painting? Or the artist herself?"
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

0 Scenes

Shodan : It's odd, the whiz kid has never had any trouble cyber sleuthing before, but despite his best effort he just can't seem to find anything about Emily Eisenduller that would be worth more than a dime, other than some old local news covering her disappearance, that's it. In the age of pervasive social media, even from an artist of limited repute like Eisenduller was, you’d expect an Instagram account or the likes. The lack of online footholds is itself telling, as if her presence had been meticulously scrubbed away from the infosphere. Luckily, the Libertine has a few more aces up his sleeve, as a more in-depth search beckons. Following an onion link to the deep web, he taps his vast network of contacts. It's not long until he finds the IP of one of Emily Eisenduller’s personal pages. Alas, an ominous 404 error waylays him. A lesser man would have stopped, but to those who know where to look, it's more than enough. A whois reveals the URL had been registered under the name of a shell company, Argon Marine Shipment LLC, headquartered in Avalon, Santa Catalina Island.
    Maybe somewhere an archived copy of the website still exists. He could leave a bitcoin bounty (Resources 2) on one of his favourite invite only forums and hope for somebody to fulfill it. Gunbunnyblue is online after all, and she's great at this kind of work.

The HD is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, it pulses under the Obrimos’ force sight, its beat faster the closer it gets to the Moros. Copying the data to another device merely establishes a pathway to a pre-existing sympathetic network. That too, is probably something worth investigating.

As for the the shell, it would be undistinguishable from a normal UNIX prompt if not for the occasional corrupt character set. What the Libertine has been able to puzzle together is that someone or somebody had encrypted the OS prompt inside the images of the crime scene, or better, inside their lingering resonance. The process had its limits and if not for the Hierarch’s unexpected out of body foray into the astral, he was sure they wouldn’t have been able to reach past that first password walled steganographic encryption. The postdated email leaves him flummoxed though.

The Aether conveys its meaning in clear signs, the userid is death, something the Hierarch had probably figured out already by entering and solving the riddle from the inside out. As for the password? Nothing, either the device’s password was inured against magical tampering, or the answer itself wasn’t a reflection of a supernal sign.

Kaze There’s a swerve of primal energy surging from the Hierarch’s canvas bag, white flames dance and burn through purple and crimson embers.

Campanella Whatever inhabits the self-contained Temenotic realm inside the USB stick possesses a mind, whether self-aware, slumbering or not, it’s yet to be assessed.

Cross It took him less than a second, so blatant it was. There is a spatial warp around the Hierarch’s bag, as if something weighty was straining the fabric of reality. Starting at it even for just a second, makes his mouth sour.

The rain, now a downpour, drowns all outside sounds at once.

It's an open-world scene, rather than giving you rolls outright, I'm letting you figure the clues out as they're tailored to your active spells/actual capabilities/scrutiny

Aurora Orianna
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

12. Likes Yumyumcrow, Ruach liked this post
    S
    Shodan

"Plan sounds good" Shodan offers, returning Kaze's smile. Good to have competent fighters on your side.

"But boy have I got news for you. First, there's nothing online on Emily Eisenduller. Zero. I don't have to tell you that it's beyond impossible, and that someone worked very hard to make it so. But fear not, my friends, for I bring you one of Emily's personal pages... registered by Argon Marine Shipment LLC, a shell corp out of Santa Catalina. Ring any bells? Anyway, the site is down, but I know some people that can get us an archived copy. Thing is... I'm straight out of a shopping spree, so - bitcoin donations, anyone?" He looks to the others.

"Also, that HD is a piece of work. Not only does it have a sympathetic connection to you" a nod at Campanella "but also is resistant to password-reading magic. The userid is 'death', if anyone is interested. Oh, and lastly? The OS is embedded directly into the resonance of the crime scene photos. I mean, how cool is that?"

The info-dump done, Shodan lets the others speak.

Vincent , would it be possible for another character to provide the funds if they were willing? I got my Resources spent on toys

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last
Closed Thread