Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Beating Around The Bush

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

They say you never know who you are until you get punched.

"Only..."

Well, the short answer is, you're the person getting your ass kicked. At least, that's who he was. Things were starting to lurch around; his stomach, now his face.

"...Because no one else..."

And his fist. It lurched through the air, missing completely.

"...Could See you. "

Let's get that one the books. Before someone passed out or got knocked out.

"Morons."

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-11-28 16:51:28 Star rolls 4 to Fight! Fight! (10 Again) 5, 7, 3, 4 failure
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

2. Likes Cayce liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

When Star's fist had hit her in the head, that was what her thrown her switch from being hesitant to being almost rabidly vicious, but now his words were throwing it back. And sure, maybe some people would say it was sweet, but looking back on those moments she wouldn't quite be able to decide. His technique was a classic. He'd negged her; started with an insult, then gave a compliment to soothe the insult and make it feel that much better.

Still, she couldn't bring herself to hit him again, so she dropped her center and charged forward, trying to drag him into a clinch.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-11-28 17:02:57 Avis rolls 6 to take it back the ground (brwl1+str3+AoA) (10 Again) 4, 8, 4, 4, 4, 3 1 success
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

4. Likes West liked this post
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Some switches take longer.

Even as air wheezed out with her grab, he was shuffling back through that Other Thing she'd said. That almost sounded completely nonchalant and not purposeful, which made it worse.

"You're not dating me."

He snarled with narrowed eyes while ineffectually head-butting her shoulder.

"You're married to me."

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-11-28 17:16:11 Star rolls 1 to Overpowering - Str (10 Again) 6 failure
    - Roald Dahl

6. Likes Cayce liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

Each heartbeat thrummed through her, humming in her ears, stretching each second into meaninglessness, and when his head butted against her shoulder she took the opportunity to fold her knee down, sending them both toppling onto the mat, Avis twisting as the fell so it was Star's back that hit the mat.

"Then why do you want to stick your dick in a unicorn?"
    she snarled down at him, struggling to force his arms down so she could get a pin.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-11-28 17:29:36 Avis rolls 1 to take it to the ground! (str3+brwl1-3) (10 Again) 8 1 success
    Avis is bringing them both prone
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"What the fuck."

Lips parted to let out the sounds of gasping air as he twisted and turned, trying to find an appendage to twist. Or bite. Him? They'd parted to retort she'd brought up Fisher, like she was... fishing... to see if it was Just Varyx.

Air rasped. The Deal is the Deal, and saying there wasn't some sort of... something... with Tuesday would be a Lie, in every sense. But? He'd never had done anything, said anything, or even given it a second thought.

Not before.

"How's..."

He could feel things staring to blur in murk of pain and anger and sweat and conflict. Almost asked her how that felt, if it hurt as much as he'd hurt.

"Fuck you, you're the one that practically asked if you could sleep with Fisher out of the blue. And I'm sorry if Varyx left but I am really fucking trying to see if I can say 'Yes' to you if she comes back."

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-11-28 17:43:36 Star rolls 1 to Overpowering - Str (10 Again) 1 failure
    - Roald Dahl

9. Likes Cayce liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

The slim chords of muscle stood out along Avis' arms as she fought to hold Star down, constantly having to shift her weight as she realized just how much stronger he'd gotten.

"It wasn't out of the blue,"
    she growled back, struggling just to keep her grip, and to keep herself upright. "I asked Fisher to mentor me in vigormancy and she said the easiest way to learn was through fucking."

Which was partly true, but was mostly a lie.

"And maybe it was more than that,"
    she huffed, the words coming out in a rush as she fought to talk and breathe as they fought, "but it doesn't matter, because I did what you wanted and I found another way."

Which he'd seen. He'd felt it after they'd fallen, literally fallen, into their bed after his time away. A fresh scar, precise, yet still raw upon her abdomen.

"And I don't believe you,"
    she panted, refusing to let the conversation drop. "I think you just wanted to wait until you found someone better. For you."

In case...

Though she didn't want to speak those words. They were too real to give life through volume. To real to come from within her own throat.

11. Likes West liked this post
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"You're half right."

He didn't bother correcting her about 'out of the blue'. Out of the blue in the middle of Halloween with a golly-gee I coulda-woulda if onlyyyyy... random aside. Like half of this felt good. To not tread so carefully. Even be abusive. Well, when he got to be. Frustration was escaping in small sounds as he twisted this way and that.

"Half because you didn't listen. You were so, so busy trying to say it's okay you didn't listen! Yeah, someone better. Better for you, if it's going to be anyone. Fuck never no not July I'm trying to figure out how to kill that psycho and you're talking about fucking him and I know you're crushing on Varyx but that doesn't change the fact she's a sexual predator!"

He'd even asked her. Asked her if she'd given one breath or thought to warning Avis.

Better for him?

"I didn't want to wait for anyone, what the fuck is wrong with you, I told you how I felt. But then you were staring at Fisher when she showed off her piercings and you brought it up at Halloween and I knew this was never going to go away and what am I supposed to do? You think I like saying 'No' to you?"

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-11-28 18:34:46 Star rolls 1 to Overpowering - Str (10 Again) 5 failure
    - Roald Dahl

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"I was kidding!" Avis shouted back, her grip tightening until her fingers were almost like claws before she suddenly loosed her grip and sat up, her hips resting just above his.

"I was trying to make a joke," she argued, "to show how fucking mature and adult and OK with everything I was. Which obviously was stupid, because I'm not mature, or OK with everything."

Which didn't need to be said. Obviously, they both knew it.

"And I don't know why you have to say 'no',"
    she growled then, her ire catching some indefinable second wind that fanned it even brighter once again.

"I didn't say no to you! I put on this stupid fucking ring, even though I think marriage is fucking stupid! And I even ate someone for you!"

She hadn't realized she was screaming again, and she had to concentrate to lower her voice and slow her breathing.

"I trusted you enough to try that, but I don't get why you can't just trust me enough to go explore with me."

14. Likes West liked this post
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Yeah, maybe We aren't.

Mature, or okay with everything.

"Yeah? I guess it was only a joke if nobody saw you staring."
    Holy cow, she was sitting on that spleen she'd kicked through his spine. Sweat? stung his eyes and his head was pounding. "And, yeah. Okay. So I dig Tuesday."

He'd picked at that. Like Lemarchand's box, a configuration that included nightmares of the past and a question of where Avis had been. And laughter. How his dream had laughter.

Avis is screaming.

"And I'm trying?"

Because Halloween.

He twisted suddenly, bucking and throwing a leg up to knee her in the back of the head.

"And don't call our rings stupid!"

Super. Mature.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-11-28 19:22:53 Star rolls 1 to Overpowering - Str (10 Again) 8 1 success
    - Roald Dahl

16. Likes Cayce liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"Ow!" Avis cried, shoving herself away from Star and scrabbling backward a few yards away from vengeful knees and heels.

"Stop, I give up already," she groused, raising a hand to rub at her head, the glint of a river ring shining through dark strands of hair.

"Maybe the rings aren't stupid," she argued, "but marriage is fucking dumb. We don't need some sort of mega ritual to prove that we're in love. We're supposed to do that every day, with all the little rituals that most people don't even bother thinking about. And...fuck, I don't know. I thought I was coping ok, but when you asked me that on Halloween, it was like you smashed the glass bottle I'd been keeping everything in with a hammer. Like, I like Tuesday too, ok, but that's why I flipped out. I could see you two being really happy together. Like, happy enough that it scared me when you suddenly had a change of heart, you know?"

18. Likes West liked this post
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread