Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.

PRE

Smith

"I see."

The Wizened spoke quietly. A first his eyebrow rose, enquiringly, later joined by the other in surprise. A chuckle started somewhere in his throat but was quickly stiffled as the big Ogre ploughed on with his story. A grimace twisted his lips and to compensate, the Harvest King steepled his fingers before his beard, apparently in thought.

"That was wrong."

Anatole breathed. That was the kind of things the worst Autumn Courtier's did. An image of Queen Anne, late and unlamented, flashed through his mind. Irong Meg also, with her fanged maw and savage teeth.

"So the Siren bites..."

Rhodes had obviously had an impact. Would the former Ashen Sovereign have played such a game? Had his loss pushed Seraphina more than she knew?

"That was wrong. Clarity is too precious a resource to waste. Especially when she didn't balance the scales. Thank you for bringing this to me. Thank you for facing your fear and telling this...tale."

Sighing he released his tension and laid down his hands. Reaching out and touching the Ogre was too much... too much of how the other Court's responded.

"I did not know of this danger. Now, I do."

He knew that Seraphina's Wyrd and Mantle were strong. Now he had a ghost of Fear. Just how powerful was the Emerald Sovereign. And how close to the edge was she? Rather than let the thought settle in, the Autumn Sovereign pulled himself up and hopped from his position. He wandered right up to the river's edge, struggling to retain his footing in the sharp stones that jaggedly guarded the pillars of the bridge where they sank into the muck at the waters edge.

He picked one of the stones - sharp, black, big and heavy in his square palm - and returned to Kray.

There is a fine line between teaching a lesson and inflicting pain; an even thinner line between doing so to force catharsis and for one's own pleasure. I am sorry for your loss. It will take a long time, if ever, for you to reclaim that which was lost. As to your question of reality. Here - take this stone. Hold it. Feel it. Keep it in your pocket. Learn its weight, shape and contours. This stone I took from the base of the bridge, to give to you as a token of what exists and what does not. When you feel the world unravelling, and your trust failing... take up this stone and hold it. Hold it firmly. This is real. And so is this memory.

2. Likes , liked this post
    New Identity:● ● John Donoghue
    Presence
    (Just.One.Bite.)
    Hidden Life
    Distinctive Voice
    (Baritone)
    Giant
    Mantle
    (Autumn: Illusory Candle flames)
    Kray

Mask
    A giant of a man (7ft 6'), broad as a barn (300lb) his muscles are not things curated for gym selfies but thick from use and abuse. The jug jaw can be said to be his most flattering feature, after the badly broken nose, limp locks of hair and sharp shattered teeth. He wears a long poorly made overcoat, suspenders keep trousers up over a ill fitting white work shirt. A battered fedora is his only accessory.
    Hedgespun

Hedgespun

Fedora 0 Dot

Mask: a battered brown moth eaten fedora, the hat band looks like a band of sackcloth has been wound around it.

Mein: made of stitched red and brown leaves, 2 holes for his horn nubbins -- the scarecrows I pictured to be in place of the hat band, just a jumbled array of tiny standing and suspended sackcloth and straw people ringing the main body of the hat.
    Mantle

Mantle (Autumn) ●●
    Source less, sorcerous candle flames flicker in and out.

Other merits of note:
    Iron Stomach
    Resources 3
    Strong Back
    Pledge Smith 3
    Fighting style: Brute Force 3

Contacts:
    Criminals
    Finance
    City Hall
    Unions
    Public works

Allies:
    Criminals 2
    Finance 2
    City Hall 1
    Unions 2
    Public works 1
    Mein

Standing an inch or so taller and broader than its already giant mask the blubbery ashen skin, splotched with chitinous scabs and bulbous fleshy worts look almost diseased. Wild and matted lichens and moss form a tangled mane of hair and beard. Thick trunk like, twisted, arms of exaggerated length, end in vast hands with dark chipped nails. The pillar like legs bow slightly. A barrel chest and obese gut only add to the immensity of the creature. A broad jaw houses a chaotic array of sharp and curving teeth resembling shards of stone that prevent complete mouth closure ensuring they are always on display. The flat squashed nose leads to the sickly yellow sclera of the vast bulbous eyes and pupils more akin to fragments of flint, in turn overshadowed by nubbin horns protruding from a wide forehead
    Kray Scenes

Unyielding voice (Troll blessing), seal pledge

Ogre blessing (+2 str) + wp for smash

+1
    DV
    PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gristlegrinder Troll

The brutish impulse to break things and inflict pain and violence upon the world might have been reigned in, but the Ogre is still restless and starts to pace through the shadows under the bridge, trying to funnel the energy into an outlet.

''Hmpf. I know it was wrong.'' The comparison was easy. ''If I had shown her and Vincent how to fight by ripping an arm off each of them, saying its a lesson, it was necessary. I don't think it would have gone down well.'' And so the argument held no track with him. Its justifying violence under a guise of goodwill, plain and simple. ''And no one knows violence quite like Ogre's.'' It was the common theme of their durance, what made them, what they never really, truly good escape.

He stops and lets out a great sigh. ''Ah. In brighter moments I want to think she didn't mean to it and just panicked to cover up that she fucked up.'' She did not seemed panicked though. ''She sent me a gift, an apology I think. She fixed my sleeping cap, put proper holes in it for my horns. I was far from clear headed when I woke and tore it off.'' Not wanting the king to leave without the all the elements of the story. ''But what gift can make good on what she took from me?'' How can I trust someone who will lash out like that? ''Then when things get dark and the voices are louder, I ask myself well if violence is inevitable. If it is going to happen be it there or here.'' What did I escape for it if I can't be more then that? ''Why am I the one showing restraint?'' He shakes his head vigorously, trying to clear it.

It seems Anatole had taken him seriously understood the problem. ''Ah. If it were just what she did to Vincent, or just a mistake with me maybe, maybe it could be passed over but when a leader starts playing fast and loose with the minds of those in their care, someone has to say something.'' And now you know indeed. ''So? do we need to be worried you reckon?'' The Harvest king after all knew the Vernal sovereign much better then the Ogre did.

He looks down to the rock handed in him sitting in his large grey palm and laughs, a deep guttural, slightly cruel laugh. ''When?'' He calms. ''When. Anatole my ability to understand the world is constantly impaired, there is no letting up or relief, not from the barrage of things trying to fill the hole left in my head.'' That's what makes it hard, there is no start or stop. ''Sometimes its wonderful, distracting awe inspiring madness, others its dark violent urges and whispers reaching from the twisted places of my head into the world but its always something.'' If I got to pick and choose when my senses were impaired it wouldn't be all that bad. ''Uh. You mean well.'' He hefts the rock. ''And this might work for them.'' Mortals. ''But there is no therapy around that put right what's gone from me.'' If a rock could could solve madness no lost would leave home without one. ''No. If I want that back I have to figure it out by myself.'' It's a battle of my nature now.

He looks to the burned dwarf, with as much focus as he can summon, so still a little distracted. ''I did not confide in you expecting to get fixed, or looking for comfort.'' It had been hard on him to do so yes, but that had not been the goal. ''I did so because even in my state I see two actions that I would rather not become a pattern.'' The courts, the freehold had a duty. ''And I don't know what to do with that information.'' So passed it to someone wiser then me. He waits wondering if the wizened will share a plan to move forward or try and shoulder this alone.
    Ogre:GristleGrinder/Troll Preadators Gaze

4. Likes , liked this post

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole nodded as Kray continued. The Wizened nodded - an action both sad and aggressive. Something vicious crawled across the Harvest King's face. Then, reluctantly, stilled.

"Oh yes. I have no doubt of your strength, nor the ease with which you could use it. Fairest hide behind their pretty faces, as if the cruelties they so casually inflict mean less than your ability to rend them limb from limb. That might is right is only frowned on when it is physical might; social prowess, status... it is always alright to wound with those."

The Wizened Smith flexed his shoulders.

"Right again. No therapy can help. No healing. You have to do that yourself. If you can - it is no easy task."

Iron Meg's maw again.

"Sometimes the onyl thing to do is endure. No way to balance those scales. But... who knows? Maybe one day that stone will remind you of just how strong you are. Maybe you can pass it onto someone else in pain, one day, and maybe they'll find some use for your words. Maybe the weight will help orient you in the Hedge. I don't have foresight."

He paused, listening again.

"Hmm. Maybe the little gifts show she terrified herself and is trying to make an amends. Well, tough. You'll always watch her now. You'll always see her for what she did. So watch her. You think she is crossing lines? Falling to madness? Keep an eye out for the third piece that tells you that all those coincidences are the pattern you are looking for."

He pulled himself up, adjusting his clothes.

"I loose track of my duties. I become fixated on my pet projects. I am distant from the Freehold most times. I hardly know Vincent and I have no idea what happened to have him laid low like he has been. I didn't even know he was being put up by Seraphina. Speaking of that... Have you reached out to Vincent yourself?"

6. Likes , liked this post
    Presence
    (Just.One.Bite.)
    Hidden Life
    Distinctive Voice
    (Baritone)
    Giant
    Mantle
    Kray

Mask
    A giant of a man (7ft 6'), broad as a barn (300lb) his muscles are not things curated for gym selfies but thick from use and abuse. The jug jaw can be said to be his most flattering feature, after the badly broken nose, limp locks of hair and sharp shattered teeth. He wears a long poorly made overcoat, suspenders keep trousers up over a ill fitting white work shirt. A battered fedora is his only accessory.
    Hedgespun

Hedgespun

Fedora 0 Dot

Mask: a battered brown moth eaten fedora, the hat band looks like a band of sackcloth has been wound around it.

Mein: made of stitched red and brown leaves, 2 holes for his horn nubbins -- the scarecrows I pictured to be in place of the hat band, just a jumbled array of tiny standing and suspended sackcloth and straw people ringing the main body of the hat.
    Mantle

Mantle (Autumn) ●●

Other merits of note:
    Iron Stomach
    Resources 3
    Strong Back
    Pledge Smith 3

Contacts:
    Criminals
    Finance
    City Hall
    Unions
    Public works

Allies:
    Criminals 2
    Finance 2
    City Hall 1
    Unions 2
    Public works 1
    Mein

Standing an inch or so taller and broader than its already giant mask the blubbery ashen skin, splotched with chitinous scabs and bulbous fleshy worts look almost diseased. Wild and matted lichens and moss form a tangled mane of hair and beard. Thick trunk like, twisted, arms of exaggerated length, end in vast hands with dark chipped nails. The pillar like legs bow slightly. A barrel chest and obese gut only add to the immensity of the creature. A broad jaw houses a chaotic array of sharp and curving teeth resembling shards of stone that prevent complete mouth closure ensuring they are always on display. The flat squashed nose leads to the sickly yellow sclera of the vast bulbous eyes and pupils more akin to fragments of flint, in turn overshadowed by nubbin horns protruding from a wide forehead
    Kray Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gristlegrinder Troll

A great snort of air from between his over largely and stony teeth, packed to overflowing from his jaw, it sounds more like a release of pressure then breathing. ''Ha. And yet if I did.'' And it was so tempting. ''Pull someone apart, take a bit out of them. I would face punishment would I not?'' Grievous harm and violence always carry penalties. ''Would you not be called to discipline me at best?, Or Circe put me down at worst? or like as not Sarah herself exile me?'' Hurting member of a freehold is never a great idea. ''But I'll wager she sees no such consequence.'' Who would dare. It's not that he believes strongly in justice, the simple truth of the matter is what can't be seen is so often over looked as less problematic.

That was a question one that played through his mind in desperate moments, or clear ones, or mad ones it was hard to tell them apart. ''Ah. Boss.'' How on earth do I broach this? ''Circe told me you killed one like me. A right hand of Ann.'' It's not an accusation. ''If I can't hold it together, if this is the start of a more serious decline, do you think you could do it again?'' He had told Anatole when they first met here he had not indulged cannibalism since his return which was true, but knew all to well what waited down the slippery slope of madness if he tumbled further. ''Best to have that in mind, just in case.'' Not something he enjoyed thinking about or felt good dropping on the sovereign, but he was king, he had a responsibility to his court. And that includes not letting us be the worst of ourselves, or stopping us if we become it.

He hefts the stone once more just listening, no clever words, no simple insights, no mad bark of laughter. Then it goes into a pocket of the long coat.

Off kilter vision looks over the river, the shrubbery, the trail in the bloom of spring. ''Yeah. I've seen what's under the pretty face.'' What she is capable of when she lets go of control. ''I want to be wrong I know that.'' But he is right. ''It won't stop me looking for it though.'' Same as I would look for the hunger in one like me.

He refocus on the harvest king, on his movements, motions and words. ''Uh. No.'' He had not. ''He already mistakenly thinks my being tough is an act he can ignore.'' The guy takes bravery well into the out right fool hardy. ''I might be big but I'm no teddy bear.'' Sitting down for a one to one about feeling was not in most Ogre's skill sets. ''But your right maybe I should.'' How do I go about that?. ''Ah. Anyway I thought he was court less so he's got no Monarch to go to, maybe you should have a word yourself.'' The guy sure didn't have a seasonal mantle, never had in the time the Ogre had known him. ''Get his side of things.''

8. Likes , liked this post

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole's eyes narrowed.

"To that I have no idea. If it was in defence of the Freehold... No. Self defence against the creatures of the Hedge, Privateers, Loyalists, or those who have fallen too far - I'd wager no. If it was for no good reason or a sign of your fall - well, then I'd have to take you in hand. As to if it was a public or private punishment? I'd push for a private thing. No need to involve the Freehold unless it was something truly heinous."

His lips twisted in their nest of effusive curls.

"Punishing a Sovereign is always... difficult. It would take myself and the Crimson Sovereign. And the Onyx if we had one. You are right to see the injustice and the inherent flaw in our system."

He sighed, and stared up at the Ogre's misshapen visage. And the huge hands.

"I'd have to. Or die trying. Why? Do you have particular craving?"

He sucked in a breath.

"I very nearly didn't survive my tussle with Iron Meg. I was left crippled and it would have remained so without the healing magics of the Spring Court. If I had faced her alone I'd have been... lunch. As it was a drew her out and a group of us piled on her. There was no glory to be had there. It was all a trap. She fell for it perfectly, was all."

He left it unsaid, that he thought Kray wouldn't fall for such trickery.

Changing the subject slightly, he added:

"And you are right there, too. I should seek him out."

10. Likes , liked this post
    Presence
    (Just.One.Bite.)
    Hidden Life
    Distinctive Voice
    (Baritone)
    Giant
    Mantle
    Kray

Mask
    Hedgespun

Hedgespun

Fedora 0 Dot

Mantle

Mantle (Autumn) ●●

Other merits of note:
    Iron Stomach
    Resources 3
    Strong Back
    Pledge Smith 3

Contacts:
    Criminals
    Finance
    City Hall
    Unions
    Public works

Allies:
    Criminals 2
    Finance 2
    City Hall 1
    Unions 2
    Public works 1
    Mein

Kray Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gristlegrinder Troll

His pacing pauses and eyes close as he listens, it makes no difference the waning clarity was not restricted to his sight alone. ''Ah. I was referring to if I attacked a member of the freehold for no reason or under false pretence.'' He turns. ''If anyone tried to hold me to account for defending myself or ending something I did not start they would find it a hard task.'' Not a threat, a statement, calm for the insinuation of violence. Violence as a solution I try to avoid even when it would be simpler but am well aware any situation can devolve into a fight for survival. ''And if I wanted to see a sovereign held to account I'm no fool, I know it is not probable.'' And wouldn't go about it so openly. ''I'm not seeking vengeance Boss. Not this time.'' But what do I want?

The snort followed by a chuckle. I can't blame him for not knowing. ''Uh. That's a hard one to answer.'' And he contemplates trying to formulate before answering. ''Ogres are the people eating monsters of myth, ours are the witch's oven in a house of sweets, ours are the giants atop beanstalks who scent out Englishman. Ours are the ones who lurk under bridges hungering for a meal.'' The stories were many and never ended well for the Ogre. The ones the brave knight comes to slay. ''And Gristle grinders more then most. Be it to inflict violence, be it some vindictive urge, madness or survival or just because simply its food.'' The struggle to remember they are not. ''If one of mine ever tells you they don't have the craving strike first.'' Because your about to be dinner. ''So yeah if I'm walking out and about and my gut rumbles.'' A frequent occurrence. ''I instinctively look at those around me as an option before I catch it.'' The emotion is a jumbled mix of hints, and half expressed not fully understood inferences. ''I keep it in check boss.'' I try real hard to. ''But a lot don't, and with well things as they stand I was just looking for assurance however I end up the damage would be limited.'' It might never come to it but sometimes you just need to have the measure in place. ''I don't want to kill you.'' He thought very well of the burned dwarf. ''I don't know use that maybe.'' Of things I did not think to talk on today.

He goes back to resting against the bridge as the harvest king tells of his battle. ''So? That's very ashen, move the pieces till they are where they are wanted, advantages for you to strike or even better into places they will take care of themselves.'' If anything he is impressed. ''We don't fight for honour in the face to face sense.'' Would a less lucid Kray be easier or harder to manipulate and trick? Impossible to know.

He nods. ''Yeah. We both should.'' Time for Autumn to do some work then. ''Speaking of, the day wears on.'' He will stand and tip his hat once more. ''Thanks for the talk, and the rock.'' Looking to end on something less grimm ''Don't think among all this I've forgotten. I still owe you a meal from the races.'' Deals are deals after all.

12. Likes , liked this post

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole's eyes track the big Ogre as he paces. So far, the repeated movement hasn't caused any frowns or concern to show on the Smith's scarred face.

A smirk crawled up one side of his face as Kray continued:

"That is true. There was no honour in taking down Iron Meg. She had none. We could not afford any. It was a straight forward hit and I bet that the others would move once someone did something rather than plot and plan."

He ran a finger under his nose, through his moustaches.

"Yes. The day does draw on. And we have tarried here for some time. So lets adjourn. I will catch up with you later, if I may. See how you are faring. How about over that meal?"

A wicked grin.

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Coronation is up and running. Lets wrap here . Thanks for the scene.

15. Likes liked this post
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread