Ended
Watch

(Mirror Maze) Chasing Reflections

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    J
    John Doe

"Clear-eyed is probably the best description for Sasha," John looked over to the Sovereign of Winter. "I knew Mhairi before she up and left without a word. She was quite pleasant." He swirled his cup in his silver hands. "You don't have to worry about Circe of Summer nor Ingrid of Spring. Both of them are wonderful, like flowers. Each has their own special season and each blooms beautifully."

He chuckled, "Especially Circe," he grinned from ear to ear. "I was given a potent cup of whiskey at the Spring Coronation. What I thought was just in my head, I had verbalized. I referred to Circe as Gunbunny Smurfette." He laughed again, "It was funniest damn commentary all night. She loved it. Both of them are good folks."

N
    Nana

The edges of Nana's lips turned up at hearing of the garden that was Summer and Spring. Adding a small chuckle to the quip. "Oh, she must be very self-possessed to take a joke so well. That's a becoming trait." Inwardly she had to wrack her brain to think of what a Smurfette was. There was Strawberry Shortcake and -- no, it was Sleepy, Grumpy -- that's not it. It was Snap, Crackle, and Pop ... did they have a sister? Did the ones who sold cookies even have names? Or was it that doo-wop group -- The Smurfettes? That doesn't seem right. Let alone the anatomy of some sort of semi-automatic rabbit. She'd never been particularly well versed in pop culture even before she'd lost all that time across the Thorns.

Still, the gentle tilt to her head and smile remained. There was a kind of wistfulness to it, notes of sadness for something that seemed far out of reach for her but still nice to see. There was a sweetness to John recounting a laughing Spring that she found charming. "I'm sorry to have missed the event. I hope Autumn will be able to offer as memorable a Coronation."

She then pulled herself back into a more staid state. "Sun Banisher then? Do you offer your services to the Freehold or is this a Winter privilege alone?" She fanned out her fingers with their medical bent. "I'm not so blessed as to have anything so official as a license for my little medical practice, so my services go to those with less reputable histories of their own. I try to be careful and cover tracks, make even my trick of fruit on the mundane seem homeopathic. Still, it would be a great relief to have someone to call on if I needed extra help keeping things quiet."

S
    Sasha

The Fairest was glad she asked before assuming that Nana got word of what happened at the last gathering. Or worse, was turned down by some Autumn person; that would have been tragic. Yet it was concerning that she left her previous Freehold because of some people who were needlessly aggressive and she was about to walk right into it. Sasha looked at John briefly, wondering if she should say something about what happened.

“I’m glad you decided to join us, and I do hope you may consider us a permanent residence in the future.” The Dancer was a stickler for first impressions and this Wizened certainly was making a great one.

“I won’t tell you that this Freehold is perfect. We have our ups and downs just like anything else. Recently there was a bit of a squabble between a few members. I think it was laid to rest, but I have no idea if there will be continued tension.” That was as delicately as the Fairest was willing to put it for now. As a Winter, it was a hard line to walk – keeping out of some business, yet reminding the Courts their places.

“As far as keeping the cycle moving, and properly balanced, I am glad you are in agreement on that. I know the Director is also as well. While currently nothing has changed in that respect, I would like to keep it that way.” Even though Nana had a great first impression, Sasha also didn’t want to give her too much information in case she was a spy of some sort. One could never be too cautious. As much as the Dancer wanted to tell her to watch out, she also didn’t want to put negativity into the other new Autumn members. “If for some reason you meet your other Autumn Courtiers, I believe there are at least two now, and you find anything amiss, please let me know. I try to keep appraised of all the Freehold situations, but some don’t always make it to my ears.”

“I’ve lived in this Freehold for a long time. I try to protect it as best as I can. However, I had never imagined I would be the most tenured member of it at any point.” The Fairest chuckled softly. It was entirely true that she thought Rick, Terri or someone would always be around. She missed them very much, particularly their guidance.

N
    Nana

For all of her distrust of Fairest, it was difficult not to be captivated by them. Those violet eyes pulled her focus as much as the woman’s words. She gave a small nod of her head and sympathetic sigh in hearing of the tensions. “That’s to be expected, I suppose. We all carry scars and it’s not easy to know what may hit a nerve. My own bedside manner sometimes slips.” She had a bit of a temper that had served her well at times, but was one of many fears that she sought to understand better.

The call to report in on any troubles left her conflicted. Winter of New York was mercenary and letting a secret slip was as likely to be used against you as bring about support. With Autumn so shaky here though, she wasn’t entirely sure how secretive she should be. “For all my court pulls away from Spring, we do often share a flare for the dramatic. We risk touching on those very things we should rightfully fear and leave well enough alone. Curiosity is cruelest to a black cat, after all. If I think that someone is drinking too deep from the cup though, I will consult.”

She thought to add a kind of caveat. “Though, I hope you’ll forgive some of our eccentricities. It’s often to keep others from bearing too heavy a burden. I’ve found it comes from a kinder place than is always obvious – and the risk of being condescending as a result doesn’t help. An abandoned building should be feared when its roof or floors could cave at any point, even if nothing is actually haunting it.” She offered in defense of her personal Addams family.

She then looked between the two of them and raised an eyebrow, pulling her already stretched skin in a way that seemed to threaten it snapping at any moment. “Might I ask what brought about this concern? I understand I’m an outsider, but I try to stay professional. Some pills are hard to swallow and advice is sometimes better received when it comes from someone inhouse. I do have experience being the bearer of bad news so others can then offer support instead."

J
    John Doe

"Being a Sun Banisher means I clean up any traces left behind by the Lost." He rocked his head lightly. "It's, at times, a literal dirty job. I do a lot of laundry." The Faceless chuckled. "Dumpster diving for paperwork, vacuuming, bleaching bloodstains out of carpets, burning incriminating evidence. I do what's necessary to keep the Lost protected from those who would do the Freehold harm." Taking another sip of coffee, "I'm available for hire."

Hearing Nana express her position was an interesting one. "You can trust us. We're intimately familiar with bad news." He attempted a sympathetic look, despite his lack of expression. "A good Winter knows when a secret should no longer remain secret. Particularly threats to the Freehold" he then added, "like Loyalists seizing crowns." Ingrid had loudly suggested that about Lucifer at the Coronation. As far as John was concerned, it was fact.

S
    Sasha

"The Court had been vacant for quite some time until recently. So, with so many new people in town, I just want to make sure everything is going smoothly. You are the only one of the new Autumns to come to me directly." The Fairest's tone wasn't that of irritation, but it was noteworthy that even if they didn't speak to the Director, they just stayed within their courts. "The Court may be starting anew in Sacramento, but their path may be a little difficult." Sasha nodded to John to take it from there.

The line that the Onyx walked was difficult sometimes. As a Sovereign she should keep the Winter's to themselves, but also as a Winter, there was an IceLaw. The Fairest wasn't one to spread gossip, but she had a valid concern. Although, John seemed far more concerned than she did.

"Eccentric is one thing, and I enjoy those who are eccentric. One of my best friends was one of the previous Leaden Sovereigns. So, I understand a little bit about your court." The Dancer wasn't about tout that she knew all about their court. There were a lot of things that Terri never mentioned, but all was fair since Sasha rarely said anything about Winter other than discussion of one of the IceLaws.

The Fear and other things that some Autumns instilled in others seemed to be why Winters were the way they were. Helping people through suffering and misery and their fears of what either happened, or what was yet to come. Each time the Onyx had conversations similar to this with other Courts, she had a better understanding of her own, and the others. Why each was given their place and their tomes for the seasons.

N
    Nana

She gave an all too knowing bob of her head to each of John’s duties in the name of proper cleanup. “That is good to know and yes, of course, I’d be sure to compensate for the time. I try to clean up my own messes, but wouldn’t expect you to get your hands dirty on goodwill alone.” She certainly wasn’t giving away her services for free, at least not regularly.

Her eyes widened at the insinuation of a loyalist, let alone one seeking a crown, fear clasping at her heart with more chill than was already spilling through the room. Her one hand tightened its grip in a reflexive squeeze to the other as they rested on the table. She let her gaze be pulled back to Sasha as she continued.

A different sort of concern, softer and more curious, fell onto the tension of her face hearing she was the only one to make an introduction to the Winter Queen like this. “Really, the only one? Hm – perhaps they are simply nervous. Everyone knows when Summer is coming, but not all Winter Courts are as welcoming as you have been.” She wasn’t one to give out idle flattery, but their company had all but made her forget she was at the disorienting heart of a maze of mirrors.

“Truly? How wonderful.”
    She added with a smile at hearing of Sasha’s friendship with a previous Sovereign. “Hopefully we can keep up those relations in the coming season. I admit that Coronation ceremonies have always made me a bit uneasy. My court can sometimes be unduly fixated on otherworldly power. A crown is one of the greatest displays of that we have. It’s not entirely uncommon for some to resort to psychological warfare, at best, to get their hands on it.” She sighed, giving a light shrug of her shoulders. “The dust always settles eventually, playing it off as sporting or to test the mettle of a ruler. Still, it’s a tense time when things need to be ratcheted up several degrees of intensity when trying to unsettle those already accustomed to fear.” Not that an entirely unchallenged Dread Lord or Lady wasn't frightening on its own considering what must have been done to deserve that kind of restraint.

J
    John Doe

With implied permission from Sasha, the Faceless let loose his concerns about Sacramento's future. "I apologize in advance, because this is going to be rant."

"There's a big difference between using fear to keep mundanes away from places they shouldn't be."
    He withheld the temptation to elaborate further on that point. Nana was an Autumn courtier - it would be the Changeling equivalent of mansplaining. "And using scare tactics to get what one wants," he allowed a brief pause, "What Lucifer did to Director Ingrid, is precisely what threatens the stability of the Freehold." John shook his head in disappointment, recalling the outburst. "I knew Mhairi, the previous Autumn Queen. She and Lucifer are polar opposites of what constitutes good governance."

"I'm worried that her reign of fear is going to attract the wrong crowd. It's a domino effect. It starts off with kids looking to get their jollies. Then when one of them sees something that can't be explained and makes a lot of noise about it. What follows are paranormal societies with divining rods and spectrometers show up. All that attention is going to bring worse company. Hunters have friends and strange powers."
    He did not need to speak of The Gentry - everyone in the room was familiar with them.

"If she knows as much as she claims to, then that's all the more reason to worry. None of us have any idea what Dread Powers she may actually have."

S
    Sasha

Nodding to the Leaden Wizened. "I've heard that some Winter Sovereigns are fearsome. The previous Sovereign was just like described. But, once she got to know you, not the other way around, she relaxed a little. When people are burned by many, walls are put up. Ice Walls for that matter. I think that she had many walls. I try to keep an open mind about all people. Sometimes impressions go awry, but continual behavior that makes me think otherwise really forms my decisions."

Turning to John. "I think I would rather let Nana reserve her thoughts about Lucifer upon meeting her." There would probably be more questions from the new Autumn, but the Fairest wanted to keep it somewhat neutral. Besides, Nana could be a trap for the Freehold and in conjunction with Lucifer and they didn't know it yet. It was far fetched, but nonetheless, a relevant thought.

Facing them both equally again. "But with all of that, being the longest member of this Freehold, I keep my eye on these things."

"If you are wondering why I'm not the director, it was because when they were chosen at the time, I was feeling the toll of Winter for a while. I was the only one in my Court for well over a year, and kept a little more to myself."

N
    Nana

Nana straightened up somewhat as the wintery Darkling started the self-titled rant. It surprised her a little from the shy figure. It made her listen more intently coming from someone like that. She hoped that her brows scrunching together would be taken as deep concern when she was mostly just trying to keep track of all the names. Mhairi, former queen – Lucifer? She had only been given the information of Ingrid and Sasha, otherwise it mostly ranked as gossip from a foreign Freehold. Once Sasha cooled the moment and made it clear Nana would be running into her, it slid into place. Lucifer -- would be one of ours.

Her face of concentration turned to shared concern as she nodded. “Oh dear, that does sound less than ideal.” With Sasha’s addition of reserving thoughts she relaxed her face and nodded. “Of course, I’ll give her a fair meeting, but thank you for speaking about it. It’s a very good point too and one I haven’t always considered. That if we’re not careful, they might think the Haunted House is real and get nosy. I do have to remind myself that some don’t always see the villains as cautionary tales.”

The information about the previous Queen was very appropriate for the moment and she gave a sympathetic tilt of her head hearing about the isolation. “Ah, walls – yes. Useful, healthy even. Hard to always know when they’ve become too high though. I have to be careful of that myself.” She shifted her hands, recrossing both along with her legs. “I can only imagine. I had thought it was part of some plan, to be upfront. Spring always does seem more suited to the front desk and easier to keep tabs from a distance, that sort of thing. It’s why I felt so strongly about coming to help out with the court here. I do believe in our situation, we must depend on one another. The cycle keeps us all in balance and to remind that, however we may feel in the moment, change is always nearby.”

She gave a laugh, rattling and somewhat wet as it was, in hoping to lighten things. “Oh, but this is how our courts get that reputation as drab, isn’t it? Something a bit more mundane, I understand that you’re also the owner of the Blue Note which specializes in jazz performance, correct? I’m no great musician myself, but that is one my favorite styles. The skill and freedom of it is always so inspiring and just can't be captured at the symphony. I’d very much like to see a show there once I’ve settled in.” Her occult knowledge of their kind meant she was fairly well versed in various Seemings and Kiths, but without scrutiny she couldn’t be certain and even those didn’t always match an interest now that they were all in more control of their lives. “Do you do any performance there yourself?”

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.