Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1509) The Martha Show

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Another beast entered the arena and the monster within Gabrielle beckoned for a fight. Also the way she broke into the conversation without even introducing herself was extremely aggravating for the beast inside. But keep cool Gaby, keep cool. It certainly wouldn't do to beat some respect out of the strange looking kindred in the middle of court.

The Toreador tried to smile to Josephine but it was a bit more feral than intended though not obviously so. As the newly arrived kindred refused to tell her name, the daeva will have to show the good example by doing so.

"Greetings there. I do not believe we had the pleasure to meet before."

She said to Josephine trying to keep the conversation civil.

"My name is Gabrielle d'Orleans, recently arrived from the city of Toulouse, of the Toreador clan. What exactly did you mean by your words earlier ? "

PRE

"Enchanté, Mademoiselle d'Orleans," Josephine replied smoothly back in French. "Je m'apelle Soeur Josephine Sterling du Sanctifiés...pour le moment. Alors, je suis la Priscus des Ventrue...toujours." A smile curved its way upon the black painted lips.

"Oh, and thank you, Diana," she digressed, switching back to English, "no, I did not feel like feathers this evening, though they will be appropriate for another evening soon. And I cannot say that I am terribly fond of the surrealists. I dislike absurdity, you see, though I am familiar with several of Magritte's pieces. As is Keeper Villiers, it seems."

A nod was given to the Shadow in recognition of her actually getting the joke. Or the allusions, at least.

"And yes, Marco," the Pale Lady continued, turning to the Daeva, her smile widening to a flash of white teeth, fangs descending. "Treachery. You have betrayed yourself, you see. I see now that your words are naught but cobwebs which trail out from that empty space inside your skull. Such a shame."

Translation of badly written French

3. Likes Phoenix, Chrisie liked this post

Martha Villiers

PRE

Oh, shots were fired!

Martha had often wondered about that term and now she can speak of seeing it in social action.

Martha pondered her puny efforts to throw up enough smoke and flak so that Marco
    ...didn't expose himself to further salvoes of robust and accurate metaphysical plunging fire...

At first glance Josephine was admirable and intimidating.

A sleek, trim and streamlined hunting warship.

The Ventrue Sister packed serious and obvious intellectual firepower along with the fangs to support it.
    Wit and mental agility were also in her armory and she is obviously not here to take prisoners.

But, Martha felt that Jo revealing her descending fangs in the Elysian Field was a bit uncool. Almost tantamount to brandishing a weapon and she needed to make more social smoke before things got unpleasant...

"Oh, I see, sister. Well, Surrealism isn't for everyone..." she concedes merrily. Though holding a strong allegiance to the School of the Absurd herself, Martha felt no need to defend it with return fire of her own just yet. Instead, she offered Jo questions;

"One is tempted to ask which Art you do enjoy and admire, Sister Josephine, and I shall..." she smiles sweetly, nodded in sincere recognition, Martha added carefully; "... yet one cannot fail to notice that your intellectual prowess is as sharp, intimidating and bright as your fangs, Sister Josephine!" she chuckles sweetly. Hoping cheery good humor will diffuse Jo's edge towards hostility, before happily adding, "I now see it could be more instructive and fascinating to first ask a wider question..." she smiled again, more keen to engage Jo, not in a duel, but in dialogue, "I welcome your indulgence, Sister, but I wonder; do you hold Magical Realism in the same regard as Surrealism, Sister? Do they posses an indistinguishable sense of the absurd for you, or would you differentiate between the, one may argue, two Artistic approaches in some meaningful way?" she asked sweetly, eyes wide and sincere in her inquisitive posture.

"I ask, you see, as I've seen some critics and commentators regard Surrealism within a cultural and limited geographic context. They argue that Surrealism is primarily a European movement and many see Magical Realism as somehow.." she frowns as if hesitating to use the next word in some way, "... more... more political."

Martha pauses to settle herself on her cane and look to Gaby and Diana as if inviting them to join in the artistic discussion;
    "Many argue that it, Magical Realism, I mean, is perhaps culturally superior; and somehow more potent within the spectrum of the dialectic of counter-Colonial politics as it, in a sense, enables and permits for a wider inclusion of radical, alternative, fantastic and less orthodox elements of the magical. More richly folkloric. Thus, it becomes, in some political manner, like a Robin Hood figure. A literary mode, actively hostile to a largely European-allied social and cultural elite who possess mostly rational and empirically inclined perspectives on phenomena and events addressed in their narrative and Artistic traditions more generally..."

"Would you regard a socio-cultural and physical geographic perspective to be an adequate arbiter and methodology of distinguishing the, arguably, two art forms when they appear to share so many other charasterics, Sister?"

Martha held her cane closer to her chest and remained quietly ready for battle if Jo turned her firepower to more literal hostility. Odd things happened at Court and Cody's fall into Darkness under malign and remote influence was never far from Martha's mind...

Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

5. Likes Cayce, SoraLow liked this post
    V

Diana's bright smile doesn't falter. "Oh, sorry then. My mistake." she says to Josephine. "The feathers though, I'll be glad to see them back. I've always been pretty interested in the symbolism associated with some of them, especially ravens. Intelligent creatures, but too curious." she pauses very briefly, stealing a glance to Martha and Marco before continuing back to Josephine.

"At one time, it was thought that Apollo had cursed his raven servant to be black forever for not pecking out the eyes of another man, and that is why all ravens are black. A curiosity. I'd rather love to talk about it with you some time when you're less distracted."

Martha's words cascade over the conversation, and Diana listens politely. Her hands ball into tight fists and she takes a single step backward during the long commentary on art. Otherwise she stays totally composed. Half of what Martha says is lost to her, the words washed away by her internal fears. Eyes locked on Josephine, Diana places a foot firmly on the ground, eager to find purchase if the situation devolves further.
    BP 1 | Striking Looks 4 (ethereal, captivating) | Presence 3 (friendly)
    Health 7 | Vitae 8/10 | Willpower 4/4

M
    Matrixchild

Marco's face remained calm while his mind thought on what she spoke. He couldn't place a time he would have offended her, though he did partake in the blood at mass and from what he could tell she was a deeply religious woman. Maybe she found fault in his actions there? He did remember her rudely ignoring him upon exiting court after their talk of sin, had his flirtatious ways offended her? He couldn't commit to much without more information.

He kept his tone even as he kept his eyes on her. "It's clear that I have offended you, and for that I greatly apologize Priscus Sterling. I must admit, I do not know what treachery I have laid against you, but I can assure you no slight was intended by any word or action of mine. I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and hope that I may atone for any insult I have laid against you." A rage was boiling in Marco as he put himself in a lower position for a slight he couldn't truly place. It was a rage found in annoyance as much as fear of what the religious woman might do.

He listened in as Martha spoke on art. It gave him a moment of anxiety free conversation as he waited for the frustrating Ventrue to sling some other insult his way. He had to admit to himself that it stung to have his pride attacked so clearly, but he was in no position to fight her on the issue.

PRE

The look Josephine turned upon Martha was considering, yet held no warmth. To her ears, the Keeper's question was more challenge than request for discussion. To acquiesce to the proffered topic of discussion would not merely be agreeing to a diversion, but also agreeing to relinquish control, and for the moment Jospehine had no wish to do so.

"The trouble, Fernandez,"
    Josephine began, fangs retreating as she turned her gaze away from Villiers and onto her victim, "is that your insults have not been directed at me. Thus I cannot pardon you for them. So do not trouble yourself with attempting to wheedle your way into my good graces. If you truly seek to atone, however, then merely wait for the the official gathering of the Court. I believe that is when I shall wear my feathers again."

Indeed, then they would be most appropriate, marking her as the one who would finally guide the Daeva's damned soul into the afterlife.

"I assure you, however, that Apollo would be the furthest thing from my mind. Not that I do not find that myth interesting," Josephine continued, nodding to Diana, "but it belongs to a different reality. Speaking of which, that is where I draw the distinction between surrealism and magical realism. Surrealism seeks to change our perception of reality through alienation. Magical realism, on the other hand, seeks to portray different realities interacting, layers of experience and perception colliding and destabilizing the idea of the homogeneous."

There. Now Josephine had said her peace, and Martha could have her discussion.

9. Likes Vassagon liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

Social situations could make one incredibly tense, at least until more information revealed itself. From what Marco knew of Josephine she had only two main focuses in her unlife, her role as Priscus and her stuffy religion. Marco remembered Gerald's discussion of his punishment, taking that to mean a slight against her role as Priscus was a slight against her personally, so he suspected she must be talking about the Sanctum. It probably was related to how he had discussed sins when they last spoke since she seemed fine prior and ignored him after. She could of course be referring to some slight against the domain but it was more likely that Josephine was acting like a member of the religious right, climbing on top of her high horse and throwing down claims of treachery and deceit. He wondered for the briefest moment if he should add a scarlet T to his suits for 'Traitor'. It would certainly coincide with his family name.

At that moment he realized he had probably lost her favor forever, or at least for some time, and decided to just remain calm and see where things went. He did not smile, but internally he was pleased things weren't nearly as grave as the melodramatic Priscus made them out to be. He could survive being called a liar by one, as long as her accusations were scene for what they were, religious pontification. Looking back on his life of debauchery he shouldn't have been surprised...he never did get along with religion.

He held no smile on his face, instead keeping his face calm and cool. "I see, Priscus. I would still like to offer my sincerest apologies and hope that I may make amends for my wrongs," he said with a slight bow of his head. "While you clearly do not hold me in high regards at the moment," the understatement of the year, "I do hold you in high esteem and hate that I have insulted you or your beliefs."

V

Diana looks between Marco and Josephine for a few moments more. "Sister Josephine, please. Would you tell us who it is that Mymidon Fernandez has slighted? I'm sure he would like to talk to that person and smooth things over as best as possible. When you say that he'll have to wait for the official gathering, should we take that to mean that this involves a person in a very official capacity?" she asks, the smile on her face still there, but more polite. Serious, even.

For the moment, Gaby and Martha are totally forgotten to her.
    BP 1 | Striking Looks 4 (ethereal, captivating) | Presence 3 (friendly)
    Health 7 | Vitae 8/10 | Willpower 4/4

"Patience. All shall be revealed in time. For the moment, let us speak of more...diversionary things. That is what you would wish for, isn't it Keeper Villiers?" the Pale Lady asked, turning a cool smile to the petite Shadow.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha blinked as Josephine steamed through the smoke and dazzle, she'd hope to throw into the battlespace to confound the attack on Marco.

Jo was effortless.

Nothing was stopping her. Martha began to think that Jo was now also laying mines and depth charges for careless ships to wreck themselves upon.

Her attempt to rescue Marco had failed. Josephine was clearly determined upon his ruin.

"Well, I am always in favor of preserving, protecting and encouraging social harmony and peace within His Majesty's Elysian Field..." she smiled sweetly.

Clutching her cane, Martha smiled again, nodded to Marco and Jo and made a mental note to speak to Marco soon. Foreseeing another challenge of Monomacy ahead, Martha nodded to Jo and the others once more, adding swiftly;

"Layers..." she added to define the break in topic. "Well, few can deny that Surrealism does certainly possess layers. Both Magical Realism and Surrealism share essentially metaphysical, ontological and existential approaches. The more you spoke about Magical Realism, Sister Josephine, the more I was prompted to consider those strange horror themed motion pictures. Whereby ghosts and malign spirits interact with unprepared or skeptical folks. An utter disruption to the status quo is inflicted on those involved in the story... Given the clash of perceptions, the frequent use of the supernatural and bizarre interacting with an alternative Reality in the narrative - frequently tormenting victims and survivors from an opposing social class and realm; could an argument be made for many horror novels and motion pictures to be considered as an unexpected branch of Magical Realism...?" she asks.

"Just to specify, the Gothic typical relies on exposing the supposed mystery as having an unequivocally rational explanation. So, I would resist including most Gothic novels falling into the domain of Magical Realism. Would..." she looks to Marco, Gaby, Diana and Jo, as if seeking their thoughts on the topic, "... the stories written by Mr King and Mr Straub fall into the definition Sister Josephine outlined just now? I am keen to hear other examples, or counterarguments...?"

It seemed as good a diversion as any whilst she calculated the price of Marco's train ticket to safety.
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

14. Likes Cayce liked this post
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 16

You do not have permission to view the list of names.