Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(FF14) Meeting on the Balcony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

The Dread Lady of Autumn sends a burning glare at Jeffrey Stueck from her vantage point before addressing the rest of her court. Fallen leaves have carpeted the balcony and unfamiliar goblin fruit grows from the living wood that forms the latticed railing.

"I would first like to acknowledge the contributions of Ms. Nutkins and Ms. Bellanar to my garden. This spacious balcony and the extensive root cellar are both quite welcome additions, as is the catalog of hedge denizens that is currently being compiled. I am certain that the other members of your court look forward to taking advantage of your efforts."

After giving Terri and Morgan a slightly disconcerting look that might be some close approximation of a smile for the ogress, Betony Rue turns to address Ava.

"I would find it most agreeable if Ms. Campbell would continue her duties at Lady Scrivener. In order for her to perform her function, she will require every member of our circle to keep her informed of any previously unknown occult knowledge or other strange activity of suspected fae origin. To encourage such cooperation, those of you who wish to hold a title within our court shall swear to do so as part of your oath. In return, the scriveness shall keep us updated on a seasonal basis concerning all that has been reported to her. You may renew your oath to me at any time if you find this arrangement agreeable, Ms. Campbell."

Turning back to Terri and Morgan, the queen of the Leaden Mirror regards them both with her bloodshot eyes.

"Ms. Nutkins, I believe it would truly be in our court's best interest if you would be willing to once again fulfill the duties of the Legate of Mists. You are well-respected within the freehold and many members of the other courts would be willing to listen to you in times of need. I would also impose upon you to share your years of experience in training my latest Twilit Page. That is, if Ms. Bellanar is indeed willing to accept such responsibilities. As our Page, you would be expected to run messages for Ms. Nutkins and myself in addition to acclimating new members of the Ashen Court to our freehold. I will need your sworn words of assent if either of you find such responsibilities acceptable."

Betony Rue next singles out Rick after she finishes speaking to the two beasts.

"As for you, Mr. Pereg, your knowledge pertaining to the mysteries of the hedge is truly without peer. It would be foolish of me not to name you as my Ranger of the Thorns. However, due to the unreliability of my previous Paladin of Shadows, I also find myself in need of a martial figure that will inspire fear in our enemies. If you would not find it too onerous, Mr. Pereg, it might be best if you would consider filling the vacancies of both positions."

Looking at the rest of those who had patiently endured her speeches, the Ashen Witch Queen scrutinizes Sam, Milo, and Maredrauga with her veiny, yellowed eyes.

"I believe we will have need of as many Paladins as we can muster. If you wish to be sworn into such service to your court, or have any other particular function in mind for which you believe yourself suited, now would be the time to make your intentions known."

Anyone who wishes to accept an Autumn Court Title must swear their words upon a symbol of their court and spend both 1 Willpower and 1 Glamour to pledge a Corporal: Courtly Emblem.

2. Likes Origins, Forn Clakes liked this post

Milo Chernobog

PRE

Milo happily followed Betony up to the balcony. Of coarse the reason for said happiness was the near hysterical laughter he had to suppress regarding what Terri had mentioned. Krumm, mister hot tempered Summer, was talking to the ladies at Terri's table about undergarments. Seriously, what the hell? Did it have a burning wreath on the front? Did it glow in the dark? Did it make other things glow in the dark? Of all the subjects to go along with fetches he picked undergarments. Was that just what yeti's used for a bad pick up line or was there something serious about the garment?

The thoughts of Krumm and his poor womanizing efforts were discarded as the Shadowsoul's Monarch began to talk. Organizing the court was a serious enough topic to make the Fairest focus once more on a serious topic.

"My apologies Ms Jasons, but I must profess that while my affinity with fear is easy coming, I lack any semblance of martial inclination to add substance to my words. The facade of danger may be enough to perform the duties for a time, but I am a bit concerned that once the mask is breached I may not be able to adequately perform the sorts of responsibilities required of a Paladin of Shadows." A sigh and a shrug escape the Fairest as he looks around at those assembled.

"That being said I do think there are some things I can still contribute. If Ms Nutkins is unwilling to perform the duties of Legate of Mists the abilities of my Seeming would make such activities fairly easy to execute once the trust is built with the other courts." Milo's gaze bounced to Terri before returning to Betony. "If she is indeed willing to accept the position, I think I would be better suited to share the responsibilities of the Twilit Page with Ms Bellanar."

The Fairest stopped for a moment to consider possibilities. "If my services are not needed as Legate or Page, I can do my best to maintain the facade of a Paladin if that is indeed your wish."

He had meant to learn how to wield a knife anyway, he just might have to do it sooner then he had hoped.

Betony Rue glares at Milo when he voices his opinion as if he were a small child that had just been caught pilfering a toy that belongs to one of his older siblings.

"Your concerns are noted, Mr. Chernobog. However, I fear that you are yourself too recent of an arrival to our Freehold to truly be effective in either of those positions, even if Ms. Nutkins or Ms. Bellanar were to voice their disinterest in the titles that were offered to them. If you despair at your martial strength, perhaps your keen mind and social acumen could be put to use as the Ashen Court's minister of propaganda, commonly referred to as the Fool of the First Frost."

5. Likes Forn Clakes, Lesingnon liked this post
    L

Slightly lost in his own thoughts as he was, Rick didn't quite manage to return Milo's greeting before their Queen turned to lead them up onto the Balcony. Something he'd have to rectify after the Sovereigns business was concluded. Because he knew well how she'd likely react to what she'd view as idle chatter during it.

He does, however, find himself drifting towards Terr as she drifts towards him. Perhaps even as a response to it. And he certainly seems to stick near her as they make their way up onto the balcony, favoring her with an easy smile as he does. Once on the balcony itself the unfamiliar goblin fruits seem to grab his attention initially, though it soon enough turns to his Queen as she begins to speak.

Being offered the position of Ranger of Thorns didn't surprise Rick in the least. As Betony had pointed out, it was too obvious of a match not to make. There were other titles that hardly would have surprised him, such as Ashen Notary or even Magister of Nightmares. Positions whose skill sets he felt fell in line with his own, and had been demonstrated by him in the past.

But Paladin of Shadows? That caught him by surprise. This was the first time he could recall that anyone had even insinuated that he was a martial figure, and he'd never particularly considered himself one. Sure, he was fairly well-rounded when it came to combat. And knew enough, at least, to handle himself when things got rough. But he'd never considered himself dangerous because of his skill with knife, fist, or gun. Nor had he ever really thought that anyone else had.

But it seemed that he might have been wrong.

And despite his own uncertainty there really was little question as to what his answer would be. He'd never shied from furthering the interests of his Freehold or his Court, after all, in any way asked or requited of him. And he wasn't about to start now. "I'd be honored to accept. Maybe see if I can think of a single title to convey both roles..."

He'd done something similar, after all, years ago when he'd made Terri both his Legate of Mists and Twilit Page; naming her his Harvest Envoy.

And the oath to bind him to that acceptance might not have been immediately forthcoming, but one can all but see the wheels in the Master Pledgesmith's head turning as he considers words and phrasings for it. A side effect of that level of prowess with the pledges that were so often used amongst Changelings was that he always took at least a little bit of time to consider them now. After all, as he'd pointed out to Aaren making sure you didn't screw up the smallest details was often critical. And it was certainly more important to swear a well-forged pledge than it was a quick one.

And Betony's counter-offer to Milo brings the slightest ghost of a smile to his face. On the surface it did seem to be something of a sharp rebuke. Knowing the Witch Queen like he did, Rick didn't particularly doubt that that was intentional. But there was also more to it than that. The Fool of the First Frost was, after all, more important than the title might suggest. He wondered if Milo would see that, or if his pride would be too stung.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan blushed and fidgetted, clearly embarassed to be praised. That didn't stop her from smiling about it though. She strated to bow and open her mouth in thanks when Queen Jasons got to the part of her being the Twilit Page. The look turned to panic. Fortunately, fear of interuptting the Queen kept her from blurting out thousands of questions that would have drowned out the explanation of what the job was. Thus, the Beast stared at the Dread Queen, blinking as her brain overoad the fear and let her voice out an: "Oh."

Twilit Page was just doing for the Autumn Court what she did for lawyers? The got her to chuckle, "Cer-certainly sures, heh. B-be total honor Tiliwt-erk, Twilight-no, Twilit Page, heh. So-sounds low-differ from current work, save lezzst lawyers," Well she hoped so because she disliked dealing with lawyers when she wasn't being paid. She shrugs, "G-g-gave Courtiers discounts afore now any-who. I-I-I know plenty of path cut-shorts on mund-side aaaand plenty spearience c-c-c-c-transport doct-mess-words in many forms, heh-heh. Honor-glad do it for Court, null sweat."

She was confused then by the talk of Paladins, quietly mumbling: "Right-right, we did have a paladin at zooom 'oint y-yup-yes." Of course, even if they wanted to be Paladins these new guys might not have the skills...yet. She tilted her head in thought as she pondered that, Training is option. Really? Yeah, I could run-run but knife-toss not until practices. Wait, Milo wanted in on Twilit Page too? Too bad Betony shot him down.

"M-m-martial skills can be-be learned. I d-d-don't know a think abouts in-face-fight. Buuuut I can eye-bull-bullseye a d-d-dartboard across a room w-with a knife. Just take practice-teach, heh-heh. J-just suggesting," she shrunk back down after finishing her advise to any future paladins.

The ogress nods in acknowledgement of both Rick and Morgan's willingness and waits for them to make the acceptance of their titles official by swearing upon a symbol of their court.

E
    ErlangShen

As one Lost declined the positions another stepped forth. It was time for the Lurker prove his worth. "I wish to swear the oath," he said with deep conviction. "To serve as a Paladin of Shadows, would be a great honor."

He withheld his congratulations for Morgan and the others. There would come a time when he would give his praise to them.

Description

Terri's Mask is that of a petite, cute woman with vibrant red hair that has black streaks throughout. Obviously athletic, her natural demeanour is friendly and she always tends to have a smile on her face.

Her fae mien is akin to a red squirrel. She has a long bushy tail and ear tufts that poke through her hair. The black streaks are actually black feathers the are a part of her mien now,; a part of her noble order.

Terri's powerful Mantle initiates itself as the smell of baking bread but brings with it the feeling of the Harvest, that time to take stock of the coming troubles.

PRE

"I swear by the winds that buoy me and the Harvest that calls to me to serve as the Legate of Mists, to ensure that the Leaden Mirror's wishes are expressed to outsiders and to pass my knowledge to the Twilit Page to the best of my ability until such time that I am no longer physically capable of acting as such."

Unlike her ex-husband, a pledgemaster in name as well as deed, Terri was much more impulsive. The wording was not perfect but as she expressed herself, it was with a unrelenting belief in her abilities to do her duty for her Court.

Her eyes did cut across to Milo however. She noted the way he had attempted to quickly cut his way in line. Something to watch out for.

"Don't worry, Morgan. You'll make a fine Twilit Page," Terri grinned to her fellow Steepscrambler, a title she once held with much pride. It filled many holes in the Leaden Mirror and required many talents to correctly express the role. Terri was certain Morgan would do a great job.

As for Rick, Terri couldn't help but grin as she lent against the balcony. Dual-titles, a rare occurrence within any Court let alone the Court of Fear. The only other time she could recall it was when he himself had granted it upon her. Whilst she waited, Terri considered some general titles for the role.

Ranger of Shadows? Paladin of Thorns? Crusader of Nightmares?

No, all poor efforts, not quite catching just who Rick was.

"Paragon of Storms," Terri said out loud, so suddenly she forgot herself before giving an apologetic look towards Betony Rue.
    Steepscrambler/Truefriend | Mantle (Autumn) 5 (Smell of Baking Bread/Feeling of the Harvest)
    Presence 4 (Friendly)|Striking Looks 2 (Petite & Cute)

"For a year and a day, upon my Autumn Mantle I add the duties and responsibilities that the title of Paladin of the Shadows brings. May the shadows protect me and my blade strike true while I hold true to the title. And if I falter, so too will the shadows and my blade falter for me."

Maredrauga knew his martial skill within the stuff of dreams exceeded the waking world. With the potency of words, he tried to bring it closer to equality. It was no accident that both Vow and Corporal were aligned in time, giving him the minimum of a year to aquire the knowledge he sought.

-1 WP/-1 Glamour |Greater -3, Adroitness +1 (Weaponry), Adroitness +1 (Stealth) Poisoning of Boon -2, Year and a Day +3

L

Two fellow Paladins then, it seemed. Both unknown to him, he'd have to fix that at some point. Because the middle of a fight was not the best time to get to know somebody, at least not in his opinion. He wouldn't be overly surprised if there were some Summers that felt differently.

But for now it was time to swear his own pledge. "I, Rick Pereg, Magus of the Gilded Thorn, do swear by the winds and leaves of Autumn to serve its interests in the roles of Ranger of Thorns and Paladin of Shadows. I will walk the twisted paths of the Hedge to find what secrets it hides, and guide those less familiar with its ways through its perils. I will, when necessary, defend the court through might both mystical and physical. And through it all I shall conceal no pertinent information from the Leaden Mirror's Scrivener. This I swear for a year and a day, may the Wyrd twist boons to burdens should I falter."

He could feel fate about him as the pledge formed, the familiar weight of those bonds settling onto his shoulders and their way into his strand in fate's tapestry.

And then he can consider Terri's suggestion, seeing almost immediately where he was coming from with it. A better line of thought, he could admit, than his own had been; as he'd been almost exclusively concerned about capturing the essence of the roles within the title, giving little thought to himself. "Hmm...I like it. Or maybe Ranger of Storms?" Tie a bit of hedge symbolism in there as well. It was a major part of both his duties and who he was, after all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread