Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Seeking Answers At The Library

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Marcus Evan

PRE

Not wanting to waste the Autumn Sovereign's time, Marcus focuses upon his research with an impressive intensity. Part of him wishes he'd been this focused when he was in school. Thinking of Lyle, Marcus checks and double-checks every glyph he comes across in his study of the tomes. He knows that figuring out Duncan's disfigurement will bring him one step closer to finding the boy. Not quite trusting in his own abilities, Marcus asks his Leaden Mentor to check his findings. "Um, HAL... could you take a look at this?"

Study Hall

HAL moves to Marcus, ignoring the seemingly overly-formal nature of the Elemental. Scanning what he was being shown, it is hard to read if HAL is pleased or not. Eventually, he spoke.

"The Ear will Bring the Truth." Even saying the words without HAL's naturally disturbing tone, it was ominous.

Marcus Evan

PRE

"Something tells me it's not the sort of truth that sets you free..." Marcus considers the several possible meanings of the cryptic phrase. "Right. So, do you think this confirms that the brand is in fact a method of communication, or that it simply marks those that are meant to Bring the Truth? Or both?" As usual, deciphering one puzzle has simple left them a clue to a larger puzzle.

HAL stares at the words and the symbol, eyes expanding and contracting, lines flowing faster across his skin to his head. Finally, he speaks.

"I do not know." If anything, he seemed disturbed by this prospect more than he did the words themselves. He stands straight and grabs his jacket, sliding it over his torso.

"We must test this theory, Marcus Evan, correct? If this design etched into a person's flesh allows a network of spies, albeit unwittingly, to manifest-stroke-arrive, the freehold's security will be in jeopardy. Inform me, where is the recipient of this design now?"

Marcus Evan

PRE

"I don't know. Hold on..." Pulling out his phone, Marcus dials the Snowskin's number and waits as the phone rings. "Duncan, it's Marcus. Can you meet me at my place in one hour?" The Metalflesh waits for a response before continuing. "Good. I'll see you soon." Hanging up the phone, he looks at HAL. "He is a Snowskin named Duncan, and his son has been taken captive by the one who did this to him. In return for my help researching this design, he has taken a Vow to be honest with me. He will meet me at my house in one hour." Marcus watches the lines speed across the Autumn King's face as he awaits his response.

"Good. Will you require assistance?"

HAL's red eyes bore through Marcus.

Marcus Evan

PRE

Marcus considers HAL's offer. On the one hand, he didn't wish to appear incompetent. On the other, the Autumn King's assistance might prove invaluable. In the end, Marcus' pride wins out, not wanting to appear incapable. "Thank you, but I've taken up quite a bit of your time already. I'll call you with any information I find out. Thank you so much for all of your help, I really couldn't have done this without you." Hesitating a moment, Marcus half turns to leave before turning back. "Um, so, just out of curiosity, how would do you think I could test our theory?"

"It is an intriguing problem-stroke-conundrum. Obviously, I would start by not mentioning anything that may break the curse before moving onto anything related to this Emma I have heard so much about. Perhaps laying a trap of your own..."

HAL's voice trails off as his eyes become dangerously focused.

Marcus Evan

PRE

Marcus nods in response to HAL's suggestion. Feed Duncan false information and see if they bite the hook... Done. "Thanks again HAL." Marcus give the Leaden Sovereign a heartfelt handshake before leaving the library.

Pride

Yes. End Scene

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread